• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

shangolin

Banned
As for my issue with the "hold button and run in place" thing, I see two major issues: 1) Fat people don't wanna run. And I mean that sincerely. Your average play times for any game that forces that is going to be miniscule.

I'm lean, and I don't want to run either :D

Has the "push in button to walk/run forward" thing been tried already, without having to run in place? I imagine it could work so long as left/right/up/down movements are still controlled by head orientation.

Zalusithix

I dont find teleporting to be an acceptable default. It feels ridiculous in vanishing realms (which I still greatly enjoyed), and budget cuts feels like it should have a second option besides the teleport gun.

Err, half the stuff in Budget Cuts only works because of teleportation. Saying you want it with something else as an option is like asking for a Portal game where you can complete it by some means other than the portal gun.

I actually kind of hope the second gen Vive has a processor on board the HMD to handle the positional calculations and it just sends a position/pose relative to the play area coordinate space instead of sending timing signals down the USB pipe to the computer for processing. This would allow the headset to be positionally aware independent of the computer. Chaperone functions could all be handled locally on the headset, and more importantly loading screens. Have some API to store an image and perhaps even some basic geometry in some RAM on the headset and call a "ShowLoadingScreen" function when you do a load. While the computer spins its wheels, the headset itself can to a full 90Hz (120?) load screen render. When the game is ready, just have another call to return to the video stream proper. Presto, load screens are perfectly smooth and I don't have to close my eyes to ensure no mental strain from the skipping around.

Even a cheap ass basic SoC could manage the sort of stuff needed to accomplish that.
Issue with that is that A) the games have to know to send a signal to the headset before it starts loading, B) now the headset needs to have a CPU on it requring more power and weight, C) now the headset *also* has to dynamically switch from displaying its own image and the PC's image, all while maintaining a very, very low latency pipeline. That's a lot of moving pieces in something that needs to be as simple as possible.

I dont find teleporting to be an acceptable default. It feels ridiculous in vanishing realms (which I still greatly enjoyed), and budget cuts feels like it should have a second option besides the teleport gun.
I'm interested in why you feel that way about Budget Cuts, given that half of the fun is using teleportation to pop out right in front of a robot, watch him scream at you, then stab a knife in his face. Using a control stick to walk around would not only bring in all the problems that has with it, but also remove a very large component as to what makes it fun.

As for Vanishing Realms, that whole game is basically "half assed" in feeling since it's one guy doing EVERYTHING about it, and it's not integrated very well. And yet, even at its complete most basic implemenation, it still feels better than any DK2 game I've ever played, in both immersion and comfort.

Has the "push in button to move forward" thing been tried already, without having to run in place? I imagine it could work so long as left/right/up/down movements are still controlled by head orientation.

It sucks, because now you can't look at things you aren't walking towards, and still feels like crap.

Err, half the stuff in Budget Cuts only works because of teleportation. Saying you want it with something else as an option is like asking for a Portal game where you can complete it by some means other than the portal gun.
being able to walk sometimes would be nice, landing just shy of where you wanted to be and having to teleport is annoying.

In portal, you can walk across a room, you dont need to use portals as your only form of movement

I'm interested in why you feel that way about Budget Cuts, given that half of the fun is using teleportation to pop out right in front of a robot, watch him scream at you, then stab a knife in his face. Using a control stick to walk around would not only bring in all the problems that has with it, but also remove a very large component as to what makes it fun.
and that is the fun in budget cuts, what isnt fun is trying to look around a corner only to realize that you need another foot, having to back up and fire a new teleporter a foot forward. especially annoying since budget cuts teleporters require you to fire a ball and then press the grip to teleport to it (which isnt something I would change as it works amazing, it just makes certain little things tedious that would be otherwise non issues)

being able to walk sometimes would be nice, landing just shy of where you wanted to be and having to teleport is annoying.

In portal, you can walk across a room, you dont need to use portals as your only form of movement

But you can walk around. By walking. Why would you want an abstracted form of movement?

Onemic

Has the "push in button to walk/run forward" thing been tried already, without having to run in place? I imagine it could work so long as left/right/up/down movements are still controlled by head orientation.

Yep, solus project and altspace already do it. It works fine as long as you don't move your feet to reposition yourself while moving forward with analog controls, and rotating with your head.

Psvr has an upcoming FPS that's also using this method for movement. At least from e3 there weren't a lot of reports of it causing motion sickness.

But you can walk around. By walking. Why would you want an abstracted form of movement?

Because not everyone has a 15x15 space to move around in.

Paganmoon

Has there been any tests done with having your avatar takes 2 or 3 steps lengths worth when you take one?
Like normally you have your roomscale to move, press a button and you now move twice or three times as long per step. would help a bit, not a perfect solution though I understand, since you'd still eventually hit the limits of your room. But maybe add upon that, I need to walk to the end of the hall, press a button, take one step, you are there, or something similar.
Or would this still induce motion sickness?

Has there been any tests done with having your avatar takes 2 or 3 steps lengths worth when you take one?
Like normally you have your roomscale to move, press a button and you now move twice or three times as long per step. would help a bit, not a perfect solution though I understand, since you'd still eventually hit the limits of your room. But maybe add upon that, I need to walk to the end of the hall, press a button, take one step, you are there, or something similar.

Well I would say that your brain would get sick from the disconnect but apparently none of that matters.

Zalusithix

Issue with that is that A) the games have to know to send a signal to the headset before it starts loading, B) now the headset needs to have a CPU on it requring more power and weight, C) now the headset *also* has to dynamically switch from displaying its own image and the PC's image, all while maintaining a very, very low latency pipeline. That's a lot of moving pieces in something that needs to be as simple as possible.

A) So an extra line before your load routine? Whooptie. You know when you're doing it. The game doesn't just magically load out of nowhere.

B) The headset already has a number of microcontrollers, SOCs and even a FPGA consuming power, to say nothing of the screens themselves. The weight is not even a consideration. A small SoC weighs damn near nothing. Distribution of the weight and how the headset is affixed to the head are far more important for comfort than what it would add.

C) You're eventually going to have to have some sort of scaling and composition framework on the headset anyhow for higher resolution foveated rendering as otherwise the bandwidth required for the full frame is going to exceed even DP specs. Done right you're talking negligible levels of latency overhead anyhow. None actually in the case of a loading screen only solution as it could be done with simply switching display streams and no compositing/scaling.

Also, the system doesn't need to be simple. It just needs to work. A complex solution that provides a better end result is preferable to a simpler one that has an inferior one. It's only when the complexity has more downsides than benefits that it's not worth it.

A) So an extra line before your load routine? Whooptie. You know when you're doing it. The game doesn't just magically load out of nowhere.

B) The headset already has a number of microcontrollers, SOCs and even a FPGA consuming power, to say nothing of the screens themselves. The weight is not even a consideration. A small SoC weighs damn near nothing. Distribution of the weight and how the headset is affixed to the head are far more important for comfort than what it would add.

C) You're eventually going to have to have some sort of scaling and composition framework on the headset anyhow for higher resolution foveated rendering as otherwise the bandwidth required for the full frame is going to exceed even DP specs. Done right you're talking negligible levels of latency overhead anyhow. None actually in the case of a loading screen only solution as it could be done with simply switching display streams and no compositing/scaling.

Also, the system doesn't need to be simple. It just needs to work. A complex solution that provides a better end result is preferable to a simpler one that has an inferior one. It's only when the complexity has more downsides than benefits that it's not worth it.

We're talking about one that has a GPU good enough to render something at 90fps on two pretty high res screens. It's going to need some chip space, and IIRC these are pretty densely packed. It's not going to be trivial to add a whole GPU on there, *especially* for something that's going to be used for 4 seconds or so while a game loads to make a marginal change.

The extra line of code wasn't a question of difficulty so much as whether they'd do it, so I wouldn't take that as my main argument.

And okay, I suppose if we're getting the compositing on the headset anyway, then alright, maybe they can do that seamlessly. But it still seems like an awful lot of engineering for a very temporary problem.

That is really good to hear. I have never tried a demo Vive or been in one outside of my own setup so it's so tough to compare my experience.

Yeah, I haven't told anyone specifically not to yet when showing off the Vive, but I'm always worried people are going to look around too much during loading screens and have issues.

Zalusithix

We're talking about one that has a GPU good enough to render something at 90fps on two pretty high res screens. It's going to need some chip space, and IIRC these are pretty densely packed. It's not going to be trivial to add a whole GPU on there, *especially* for something that's going to be used for 4 seconds or so while a game loads to make a marginal change.

The extra line of code wasn't a question of difficulty so much as whether they'd do it, so I wouldn't take that as my main argument.

And okay, I suppose if we're getting the compositing on the headset anyway, then alright, maybe they can do that seamlessly. But it still seems like an awful lot of engineering for a very temporary problem.
It's a loading screen, not a game. If we're dealing with something as simple as a floating image in front of you, you could render it at hundreds of fps on a basic mobile GPU from today.

As for the four seconds bit, depending on the game, those four seconds can happen rather often. In Audioshield I get to experience drops upon returning to the menu, and then again on loading the level itself. Given these things happen before and after every song, that's a fair amount of loading per hour.

Could they be better handled by the dev? Almost certainly. But if a dev has an option of coding things so the experience in the headset is always silky smooth during loading sequences, or instead has the possibility of calling one function before and after the troublesome blocks of code, it doesn't take much to figure out which they'll opt for.

I really want more games to use infinite corridors, like Unseen Diplomacy.l

I realize though that this requires at least a medium sized play space, which according to the stats Valve posted a while ago, not all that many people have.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not going to say it's the best of all possible generic options- it's still very early- but as a default I think it's better than mapped WASD sliding to the touchpad. Do you mean you'd prefer that as a default option?

Even as something that could be turned on, I'm sort of surprised that you'd have the desire for that in Budget Cuts in particular. I have right around 8x8 feet and the teleporter (with preview) plus the ability to physically move around to look around corners, reach objects, or get the next angle I need, feels borderline perfect. A really well-executed blend. If the idea is that the less physical space there is around you, the more valuable WASD motion mapping becomes, that's really interesting.

I guess if anything this highlights how many factors VR developers need to take into account when making decisions about what to include. There are a lot of different personal preferences emerging even in these early days.'
I really want more games to use infinite corridors, like Unseen Diplomacy. In order to do this without having overly-restrictive environments requires requires at least a medium sized play space, which according to the stats Valve posted a while ago, not all that many people have.
Yeah, I'm about a foot short on each side of being able to play Unseen Diplomacy. Real shame, it looks so cool :(
That's a really interesting idea, a "giant steps" toggle. Would be fascinated to see how it felt.

As for my issue with the "hold button and run in place" thing, I see two major issues: 1) Fat people don't wanna run. And I mean that sincerely. Your average play times for any game that forces that is going to be miniscule.

I don't mean this the wrong way, but if you don't want to move, why are you playing a VR game? Or at least, why aren't you sticking to VR games that are designed for seated play, like Lucky's Tale or Eve Valkyrie?

It's kind of like the people who complained about having to stand up for Wii Sports or Dance Dance Revolution (even though the former actually could be played sitting).

I don't mean this the wrong way, but if you don't want to move, why are you playing a VR game? Or at least, why aren't you sticking to VR games that are designed for seated play, like Lucky's Tale or Eve Valkyrie?

It's kind of like the people who complained about having to stand up for Wii Sports or Dance Dance Revolution (even though the latter actually could be played sitting).

There's a difference between movement like dodging or swinging your arms, and sustained cardio with in-place jogging. I think there are scenarios where that type of movement would work great (specifically games that are trying to give you a work out), but otherwise the physical exertion isn't really worth the effort for what it achieves (straight up traversal). Not to mention these headsets just aren't there yet in weight or fit to make that action comfortable over long periods of time.

Tain

I'm a little torn on teleportation. On one hand, it pretty clearly does throw out neat scenarios and mechanics that we associate with 3D action games, like worrying about your speed and traversing large spaces while aiming, shooting, and dodging.

On the other hand, there are a lot of common-sense (imo) flavors of teleportation that haven't been explored very much or at all yet. Things like basic cooldowns, or projecting a ghostly body that runs to the destination (with enemies aiming at it, of course).

Maybe some flavors can become the acceptable default. Budget Cuts isn't "acceptable default" status yet. I can already exploit the shit out of those robot guards, lol, and I haven't played it for that long. More limitations need to be explored if we're going to make engaging long-term mechanics around teleportation.

Onemic

A simple method for now is to just include analog forward/backward/strafing movement on top of teleportation until a better method for artificial locomotion is created. It's much better than having only teleportation.

Tain

I'm fine with that, but if that game is to take full advantage of said locomotion, teleportation would essentially have to be a post-design "easy mode".

On the other hand, there are a lot of common-sense (imo) flavors of teleportation that haven't been explored very much or at all yet. Things like basic cooldowns, or projecting a ghostly body that runs to the destination (with enemies aiming at it, of course).
Both of these sound annoying. There's a reddit post somewhere where the Budget Cuts devs say that they experimented with a teleporting cool-down, but found that it felt overly arbitrary/annoying.[/QUOTE]

A simple method for now is to just include analog forward/backward/strafing movement on top of teleportation until a better method for artificial locomotion is created. It's much better than having only teleportation.
Aside from other issues that could/would arise, there's the simple fact that the Vive controllers don't include a joystick. There's a touchpad, yes, but using it as a virtual joystick doesn't feel good at all. I tried to use it for Lucky's Tale before I got a proper xinput controller, and, well... it didn't go well.

Onemic

Both of these sound annoying. There's a reddit post somewhere where the Budget Cuts devs say that they experimented with a teleporting cool-down, but found that it felt overly arbitrary/annoying.

Aside from other issues that could/would arise, there's the simple fact that the Vive controllers don't include a joystick. There's a touchpad, yes, but using it as a virtual joystick doesn't feel good at all. I tried to use it for Lucky's Tale before I got a proper xinput controller, and, well... it didn't go well.

Felt absolutely fine to me in Altspace and Solus Project. In fact I'd say it feels better than an analog stick based on what I've played so far in Vanishing of Ethan Carter(which only supports gamepads) You're not doing analog rotation so I dont see how it would feel less intuitive than an analog stick.

Tain

In my case, there's simply less feedback on my thumb for where it is in relation to the center of the pad. If I'm using an analog stick, I can feel out exactly where I'm tilting immediately. It's kinda like trying to use a Steam Controller trackpad for Street Fighter versus a d-pad, in my experience. It's functional, but not as nice.

Both of these sound annoying. There's a reddit post somewhere where the Budget Cuts devs say that they experimented with a teleporting cool-down, but found that it felt overly arbitrary/annoying.

I'd imagine that will vary a lot depending on the game and the user. Battle Dome fans don't seem to mind it, as I assume that game is pretty busy and you aren't left idle between teleports. I'd imagine that adding a ghostly body would also help slightly solve the idle boredom, too, as it gives context and something to look at (in the same way that many players don't find running around slightly large distances in third-person games unbearable).

Budget Cuts has a lot of quiet waiting and exploration, though. I could see how a basic ever-present cooldown would be a poor fit, but I think that some kind of limitation on the player once they're closer to robots would improve the game.

Metal B

Would also be overkill in the case of Budget Cuts, since they already have a teleport delay. The time between shooting the teleportation-ball and it landing, is already a good limitation. On top of that, you sometimes have to aim at the right spot (through a fence or a small walkway) and not have the ball land in an illegal area (under a table). Finally you die with one shoot, so any small mistake can already be fatal.
Teleportation is part of the game, so this makes it work so much better, by comparison to games, which simply want the player to move.

I can't see any game, which centers about movement and action, not include teleportation as a game-mechanic. So you need to build you're game around it, make rules and have it always in mind, if you create levels. Vanishing Realms is an example, which really needs to recenter there teleportation-mechanic into the game-play, enemy and level-design.

FYI, ASDA have 24 pack Zeiss pre-moistened wipes on offer for 2 boxes for £3.
I've seen them recommended for cleaning the Vive/Rift lenses without scratching or clouding the lens so i bought a couple of boxes as they're £10+ for 100 on Amazon uk or 96 for £6 from ASDA.

These are Lidl's secret Vive cleaning weapon!
£1.60 for 54, I've got tons of them, brilliant.

imageavu4t.jpeg

Well that's good. My basestations now turn off after a little while rather than staying on for hours. I updated the firmware in my controllers today which wouldn't change anything to do with the stations and the SteamVR update yesterday didn't seem to work either but today yay, who cares? :)

edit: thanks DOT DASH DOT, I'll keep an eye out for them on my travels.

Durante

I got my 1080 today and immediately (well, after finding stable conservative OC settings) proceeded to test out the downsampling setting in SteamVR.

I tried a setting of 2.0 first. Here's what I found:
  • It's a massive image quality improvement in games which don't have particularly good IQ/AA out of the box, like Umihara Kawase or Space Pirate Trainer.
  • It's often even more noticeable on menus, e.g. the text and UI elements (especially thin lines) ) in Audioshield are very much improved with a factor of 2.0.
  • Unlike some other reports, i did not notice much of a difference one way or the other in The Lab, which makes sense given its inherent dynamic scaling.
  • Mind: Path to Thalamus is the only game I tried which seems to ignore the setting.
  • Games with more demanding rendering/effects obviously can't always do 2.0 even on a OC'd 1080.
  • Surprisingly, or at least amusingly, it also applies to the SteamVR environment and improves the rendering there dramatically too. I use the Holodeck environment currently, and it looks far better at 2.0.
  • But the one thing probably affected by the setting most dramatically is the Steam desktop view. It's a night and day difference. Which I found really funny.

Leatherface

I got my 1080 today and immediately (well, after finding stable conservative OC settings) proceeded to test out the downsampling setting in SteamVR.

I tried a setting of 2.0 first. Here's what I found:
  • It's a massive image quality improvement in games which don't have particularly good IQ/AA out of the box, like Umihara Kawase or Space Pirate Trainer.
  • It's often even more noticeable on menus, e.g. the text and UI elements (especially thin lines) ) in Audioshield are very much improved with a factor of 2.0.
  • Unlike some other reports, i did not notice much of a difference one way or the other in The Lab, which makes sense given its inherent dynamic scaling.
  • Mind: Path to Thalamus is the only game I tried which seems to ignore the setting.
  • Games with more demanding rendering/effects obviously can't always do 2.0 even on a OC'd 1080.
  • Surprisingly, or at least amusingly, it also applies to the SteamVR environment and improves the rendering there dramatically too. I use the Holodeck environment currently, and it looks far better at 2.0.
  • But the one thing probably affected by the setting most dramatically is the Steam desktop view. It's a night and day difference. Which I found really funny.

My big issue with this setting, which I still want to play around with, is that I want to pick and choose what i apply it to and leave it off where I don't need it. As far as I'm aware though this is a global setting which makes it sort of a pain in the ass since I will most always be switching between things quite a bit. Hopefully someone far craftier than myself will create an app I can run to do set this quickly between games at least.

How were your framerates holding up with it set at 2.0? Did you notice any lost frames and/or motion sickness business going on? I also have a 1080 which just arrived today so if I can get away with a 2.0 setting on most games, I'd love to bump up those visuals.

I haven't noticed any performance decrease using 2.0x rendering with an OC'd 980ti. I haven't played a huge variety of VR games with these setting yet, though. Out of Ammo looks great, at least.

Onemic

I'm not home now so I can't look, but I didn't change much from the defaults as I recall. I'm running a 4690k @ 4 Ghz and a 980ti, for reference.

Tested it again and it still runs like shit. It seems that the emulator is locking the in-game framerate to 20fps. The headset itself is tracking at 90fps still. Do you know how to raise the framerate limit to 30? It seems like 5.0 removed the frame rate limiter in previous versions with a speedup dropdown. Also what do you have checked in opcode replay/timewarp settings?

EDIT: welp, now its even worse and it doesnt matter what settings I use. Now the HMD doesnt even track my head movements properly so when I turn my head I get hit with black bars and a brief moment where tracking stops entirely. :/
EDIT2: fixed the black bar problem, though Im pretty sure I didnt do anything. The game is now playable at native resolution, anything higher and the framerate tanks to 20 and lower.

Guess I've been forced out of DolphinVR until this gets fixed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My big issue with this setting, which I still want to play around with, is that I want to pick and choose what i apply it to and leave it off where I don't need it. As far as I'm aware though this is a global setting which makes it sort of a pain in the ass since I will most always be switching between things quite a bit. Hopefully someone far craftier than myself will create an app I can run to do set this quickly between games at least.
Chaperone Switcher does it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4qguq9/updated_yet_again_chaperone_manager_supersampling/

thematic

I haven't noticed any performance decrease using 2.0x rendering with an OC'd 980ti. I haven't played a huge variety of VR games with these setting yet, though. Out of Ammo looks great, at least.

I tried 1.4x on a 1070, played Holoball and I think I got dropped frames
maybe my CPU holding me up (i7 3770k - No OC yet)

Anyone who's gotten their set/had it shipped recently: whats the turn around time on order fulfillment these days?

Ordered it on June 14th. It shipped on the 16th, the same day I got my bundle code. It arrived on the 18th. I am in North Carolina.

I tried recording a video with the HTC Vive for the first time today. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use OBS and record the front-facing camera and game at the same time. Of course, there is still the hassle of every game having their own way of mirroring the footage, resulting in a lot of empty space that needs to filled somehow. As a test run, I played The Brookhaven Experiment's Survival Mode to see how it compared to the demo. I like the reward system it uses to award money and health in between rounds, and how it definitely encourages you to go for decapitations/instant kills. You also get a free mystery upgrade if you wish. My first one was a good luck charm in the form of an elephant that hung off my pistol that increased my chance of getting critical hits. I got to wave 4 before succumbing to some fast, little creatures I never saw before. Tomorrow I am going to play the campaign and see how that goes.

Durante

I tried 1.4x on a 1070, played Holoball and I think I got dropped frames
maybe my CPU holding me up (i7 3770k - No OC yet)
That's surprising. Given that I played Holoball without issues on a 970 at default settings, I'd assume a 1070 should be able to do 1.4. I'll give it a try later, it''s another game that doesn't have great IQ out of the box.

SomTervo

Ha I tried a bunch of stuff (there was a biggish SteamVR update, new angles on lighthouses, turned off a bunch of software) and had a few solid hours last where I noticed almost zero tracking skips, tried out a bunch of stuff and really enjoyed it, then closed SteamVR for a bit, came back after dinner it was back happening almost constantly. I just don't get it! :( Gonna try a complete full install of everything and set up for scratch tonight I think. Every time I think I've got it maybe sorted and can live with it, it returns with a vengeance.

I realized the easiest way I might get anyone to understand exactly what issue I'm talking about- it is really, really, really noticeable and reproducible when anything is loading. If nobody else has experienced that, then I am very far off from the performance level others are experiencing. It's super noticeable like for example when The Lab loading screen is up. I'll look at the image and it will be stable if I'm not moving my head, and then if I do it skips around a ton. Once it actually loads (actually, a few seconds before it finishes loading), the effect is lessened substantially.

Hmm. What's your spec again? Could be RAM or CPU bottleneck if it's on loading? Basically it sounds like performance issues rather than tracking, if things are just jittering around, and if it mainly happens during loading screens.

I've had this a couple of times - make sure that Google Chrome and other programs are closed down first, that can help.

I also get this issue whenever I have the graphical settings for a game too high or I accidentally leave supersampling on.

For instance:

> play a beta game which doesn't have good IQ - gameplay is smooth
> put on supersampling to make IQ better - gameplay is smooth
> swap to another game which has better graphics/VR design - start getting jittering
> turn supersampling off/down - gameplay is smooth

So, from my POV, either: you're overloading your RAM and it's jittering; or your settings are too high your hands/head will start jittering about because the GPU is struggling

Anyone who's gotten their set/had it shipped recently: whats the turn around time on order fulfillment these days?

In the UK I ordered mine from scan.co.uk at like 1030pm at night and it arrived two days later.

Order it in the morning and it'll arrive the next day.

For the people having issues with 1080 and 1070 cards: the displayport is incompatible with Vive HMD.

Lucky for me, I got a DisplayPort to HDMI for my monitor so the Vive could be HDMI-HDMI.

Close one.

Durante

I actually ran into this displayport issue with my 1080. It's ridiculous, but luckily my setup allowed me to switch to HDMI. I need to physically change the connection now though if I want to use my projector.

They (either NV or Valve) really need to fix that.

Zalusithix

I actually ran into this displayport issue with my 1080. It's ridiculous, but luckily my setup allowed me to switch to HDMI. I need to physically change the connection now though if I want to use my projector.

They (either NV or Valve) really need to fix that.

Given I haven't heard any issues with the cards using DP to a monitor, I'm inclined to believe that the problem is on the Vive end of things. Especially when taken with the problems people have reported with audio through DP to the Vive before. Probably related to whatever DP->HDMI conversion they have going on in the linkbox.

Should have just been standardized around DP to begin with. HDMI is a shit standard for PCs and PC peripherals. Outside of connections to AV gear, HDMI shouldn't be used. Any card new enough to meet min spec for the Vive has at least one (likely more) DP, so it's not like they had to worry about legacy cards. Just makes no sense.

The Chef

Planning on going and trying out the Vive at a Microsoft store near me.
Last time I was around there was a huge line and I didn't have time to wait.

For anyone who has done it, do you get to chose between different demos? If so which one should I try?

Planning on going and trying out the Vive at a Microsoft store near me.
Last time I was around there was a huge line and I didn't have time to wait.

For anyone who has done it, do you get to chose between different demos? If so which one should I try?

I believe it's a set sequence of demos that lasts 10 minutes, and includes snippets from some of the more popular games and experiences like Space Pirate Trainer and Tilt Brush.

Paganmoon

This will probably be the first VR experience/demo/whatever widely available to consumers which actually supports more than 1 GPU.

Didn't a SteamVR update about a month ago or so, forcefully disabled multiGPU when launching games through it (due to some devs not disabling support, and resulting in poor performance iirc, due to bugginess). Will this somehow bypass that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom