• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI

The new SteamVR update (not sure if its a beta only feature) allows you to start SteamVR via the HMD button.

Edit: beaten like Steph Curry.

I have my monitor on anyhow at that stage. VR is never the first thing I do when I get to the computer. Even if it was off, if want it on so I could confirm both lighthouses were active and all devices tracking fine before putting the headset on. Perhaps if there were status LEDs on the headset for that, I wouldn't care about the monitor, but alas there aren't.

Okay. For other people, this is a welcome and overdue feature.

Zalusithix

Okay. For other people, this is a welcome and overdue feature.

I was only speaking of it's usefulness for myself anyhow. It's a feature I wont get any use out of, but I'm not opposed to the option being there. Though if I had my ideal, you'd be able to set the functionality of the button. A dedicated reset seated position button perhaps? Audio mute? Toggle camera feed (while not using the wands)? There's a bunch of things they could allow it to do.

I have my monitor on anyhow at that stage. VR is never the first thing I do when I get to the computer. Even if it was off, if want it on so I could confirm both lighthouses were active and all devices tracking fine before putting the headset on. Perhaps if there were status LEDs on the headset for that, I wouldn't care about the monitor, but alas there aren't.

I have to reset SteamVR so often for various reasons that I think it'll be a pretty useful.

Wallach

FYI

The new SteamVR update (not sure if its a beta only feature) allows you to start SteamVR via the HMD button.

Edit: beaten like Steph Curry.

Seems like there might be some weird issues with the display going yellow in one eye with the latest beta branch:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4rur6e/psa_new_steamvr_beta_can_make_your_vive_seem/

Just in case people encounter stuff like this and think it might need an RMA. Not sure how or what might be causing that.

Okay so I bought one. Anything important I need to know? You guys maybe wanna recommend some must-have games?
don't let the lens see sunlight ever (melts your screen)

buy wii brand wrist straps and use those (vive included straps WILL break)

I would suggest stuff, but I'm still launch time oriented and will say things that were popular when the vive released:

audioshield/no alternative
space pirate trainer or holopoint or auto of ammo or brookhaven experiment or ??? (a lot of must have single player shooters that are great for demo'ing to others)

theblu (i'm being very biased in suggesting this, maybe this isn't a must have?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was only speaking of it's usefulness for myself anyhow. It's a feature I wont get any use out of, but I'm not opposed to the option being there. Though if I had my ideal, you'd be able to set the functionality of the button. A dedicated reset seated position button perhaps? Audio mute? Toggle camera feed (while not using the wands)? There's a bunch of things they could allow it to do.

Default behaviour already supports camera - single press to being up steamVR obpverlay (with camera!view attached to your controller), double press brings up tron mode.

Would be good to be able to configure it more though.

SimplexPL

don't let the lens see sunlight ever (melts your screen)
theblu (i'm being very biased in suggesting this, maybe this isn't a must have?)

theBlu is perfect for showcasing VR to VRgins. Also it features one of the best graphics currently available in VR, I'd say nearing AAA quality.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
theBlu is perfect for showcasing VR to VRgins. Also it features one of the best graphics currently available in VR, I'd say nearing AAA quality.

I think tiltbrush and the default postcard from the lab are great too - both with the advantage of using your hands n a very simple way. Literally everyone will rub the robot dogs belly.

SimplexPL

Sure, no argument here. theBlue (especially the whale) is good for showcasing passive VR.
I recently demoed Vive to my friend. First I launched the whale without giving him the controllers, then I run VR Tutorial.

Samemind

Im going to visit someone today to possibly purchase their vive kit. Is the software thats bundled with the headset given as one use codes? Also, anything i should check while trying the device to make sure nothing's wrong with it?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Im going to visit someone today to possibly purchase their vive kit. Is the software thats bundled with the headset given as one use codes? Also, anything i should check while trying the device to make sure nothing's wrong with it?

no the only software required from the vive is on the htc vive site

mrklaw

MrArseFace

The free software (fantastic contraption, tot rush, job simulator) is a single use code for steam. If they've redeemed it then you won't get those for free, they're quite expensive on the store - personally I think that's designed to make you think you're getting great value because they're free for most users.

kinggroin

Banned
Is there anyway to lock performance to 45fps?

I'm tired of having some games drop to 45 cause they went from 90 -> 88 fps, rather just run with reprojection on always.

Samemind

The free software (fantastic contraption, tot rush, job simulator) is a single use code for steam. If they've redeemed it then you won't get those for free, they're quite expensive on the store - personally I think that's designed to make you think you're getting great value because they're free for most users.

Not a super deal breaker. Those games were discounted during the Summer Sale right?

so, the newest steam VR beta causes the left eye to randomly turn a static color. The only fix is to replug the HDMI (or probably a headset reset.) Quick google shows others having this issue and its only with the beta

Paulee

Just played Luckys Tale with revive and it was really awesome.
I am very interested in Edge of Nowhere but there is a flickering issue
how bad is it, anybody tried it out ?

jaypah

Heads up peeps, I've now have all 3 table tennis games and will be playing them today and doing write ups.

Nice! Curious to see which one comes out on top as I'm only buying one. Thanks!

so, the newest steam VR beta causes the left eye to randomly turn a static color. The only fix is to replug the HDMI (or probably a headset reset.) Quick google shows others having this issue and its only with the beta

Happened to me last night. Threw me for a loop too lol. A restart of SteamVR fixed it.

Heads up peeps, I've now have all 3 table tennis games and will be playing them today and doing write ups.

So played them all some more. Right now I'd recommend Pong Waves VR out of the 3. Best feel, best AI (for what it's worth, they all have a ways to go), most game modes.

So played them all some more. Right now I'd recommend Pong Waves VR out of the 3. Best feel, best AI (for what it's worth, they all have a ways to go), most game modes.

Read your post, watched some footage, looked at the price, insta-bought. Don't worry, I won't hold you responsible if it isn't worth. But for 5 quids it's a no-brainer.

Trouble

Banned
My lighthouses seem to be losing sync every 10 minutes or so. Anybody able to fix these kind of issue before?

I was having that issue and ended up having to use the physical sync cable.

Just remember the lighthouse channels, this isn't well documented.

b = master
c = optical slave
A = sync cable slave

https://twitter.com/vk2zay/status/684800838078840832

How do I get Oculus games to work on this thing?

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

I have read some people having luck covering up reflective surfaces.

Are you able to use the sync cable at all? To at least see if everything is fine with the lighthouses directly connected.

I was really hoping to not have to use it, but yeah I'll go break out my sync cable. I have my lighthouses at the maximum recommended distance, hopefully it reaches. They only just have line of sight to the side of my ceiling fan, but it didn't give me any trouble until recently.

I was having a blast playing House of the Dying Sun until some strange performance issues started rearing their ugly heads...

Digging through Steam forums I found that it's something the devs are working on, and it seems to be affecting faster hardware especially (980ti here). I'll try again tomorrow.

The game is dope. Check it out if you haven't.

I was having that issue and ended up having to use the physical sync cable.

Just remember the lighthouse channels, this isn't well documented.

b = master
c = optical slave
A = sync cable slave

https://twitter.com/vk2zay/status/684800838078840832

Thanks, I'm set up with the sync cable now. I forgot how absurdly long the cable is, so I went around my room instead of directly across the ceiling. Hopefully that does it!

thematic

I would love to buy Pong Waves VR but it seems the developer didn't respond any complaints in the Steam discussion page

I was having a blast playing House of the Dying Sun until some strange performance issues started rearing their ugly heads...

Digging through Steam forums I found that it's something the devs are working on, and it seems to be affecting faster hardware especially (980ti here). I'll try again tomorrow.

Def underrated, dogfights are damn fun in that, like the art style and general feel a lot more than Valkrie. Also love that 3d minimap-to-cockpit transition. Game needs more love for sure.

Use RivaTuner and cap it to 45?
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Not sure if it will interfere with reprojection though.

Can confirm that Rivatuner will work. I accidentally had Rivaturner set to frame limit all my games to 60fps, and SteamVR automatically brought the framerate further down to 45fps and switched on reprojection.

I don't recommend this though. I mean, by all means, try it out I guess, but it's not good...

Are there any HTC Vive programs outside of Steam worth trying? I've heard of Minecraft Vive and Dolphin VR, anything else like that?

It's just a quick demo, but definitely check out Chrysalis Pyramid.

Also don't forget about the Oculus Store. They removed the headset check so you don't have to worry about DRM checks or anything. Lucky's Tale, Henry, Lost, and Oculus Dreamdeck are all free and worth a download. Edge of Nowhere, The Climb, and Chronos are worth looking into as well. Oculus's stuff is a lot more polished than the Vive's in general, although of course, there's no room-scale and everything is designed around an xbox controller.

Zalusithix

Returned to VR tonight after taking a couple weeks off for traditional gaming (among other things). Was fully expecting to be horrible at Audioshield, but it appears the motor skills take longer to fade than that. After a couple of songs I was right back up to my previous performance levels, and even eclipsed some of my old scores. Pleasantly surprised by that really.

Also played around with the render target multiplier, and while it certainly makes a crisper image, 2.0 was full on reprojection hell in Audioshield, and 1.5 was a 50/50 mix at stock GPU speeds. Setting it to 1.2/1.3 seemed stable, but in the end I just dialed it back to 1.0. The extra fidelity wasn't worth the inevitable temptation I'd have to blame reprojection (real or imagined) for any miss. Might mess with it again in a game that doesn't require rapid precise movements.

On a related note, VR passed my personal litmus test for long term interest: leave something for a period of time untouched after the newness factor wears off and see if I have any interest in it later on. Generally speaking, if I'm ambivalent about returning to whatever I left, then I will likely end up ignoring it completely sooner or later. In the case of VR, not only did my desire to return to it gradually increase over time, but the return experience was just as engaging as it was before I left. I think I can safely say at this point that VR isn't going to be something I'll just get tired of and let gather dust.

Valahart

I was able to play Lucky's Tale last night and although my mind was blown away by the 3rd person view, it was the first game to get me a little dizzy and needing a break.

I've noticed Oculus games don't usually handicap/adapt their mechanics to make the player more confortable in that aspect. There are games that I saw the trailer and was like "nope, Ill be throwing up after 5 seconds of that".

So my question is, for those of you that experienced motion sickness in VR, did it stop after a while? Were you able to finish the games eventually? Should I push through it?

Thanks!

I was able to play Lucky's Tale last night and although my mind was blown away by the 3rd person view, it was the first game to get me a little dizzy and needing a break.

I've noticed Oculus games don't usually handicap/adapt their mechanics to make the player more confortable in that aspect. There are games that I saw the trailer and was like "nope, Ill be throwing up after 5 seconds of that".

So my question is, for those of you that experienced motion sickness in VR, did it stop after a while? Were you able to finish the games eventually? Should I push through it?

Thanks!

For me the Adventure Time game was a bit rough when I first got my Vive, I tried Lucky's Tale a few weeks later and by then I had my VR legs and it was fine.

Do not force yourself through the sick, you'll get to a point where thinking about playing VR games will make you sick. Play for 15-30 minutes and come back an hour later for another session.

krumble

For me the Adventure Time game was a bit rough when I first got my Vive, I tried Lucky's Tale a few weeks later and by then I had my VR legs and it was fine.

Do not force yourself through the sick, you'll get to a point where thinking about playing VR games will make you sick. Play for 15-30 minutes and come back an hour later for another session.

My other half played through the whole of adventure time first day we plugged the Vive in back beginning of May, complained it made him a bit dizzy but not enough to stop

He tried Luckys Tale a few weeks ago and had to stop after 20 min as he was feeling sick, room scale he's fine, seated doesn't work for him

I loved Luckys Tale myself, Chronos & Edge of Nowhere also but showed me that we are all different and there is no way to predict it :-(

Leatherface

Yup, I bought this to try out space combat without all the frills and it definately fills the void. Excellent game!

Arulan

Waltz of the Wizard is very good. I particularly enjoyed the composer spell, and your visits through the portals. For the duration of the experience, they particularly nailed the feeling of unknown and mystery that should come with magic (unlike most video games). The interactions and curiosities that you find throughout the tower room add a lot too.

My desire to see a fully-realized VR dungeon-crawler is all the more painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom