• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Didn't a SteamVR update about a month ago or so, forcefully disabled multiGPU when launching games through it (due to some devs not disabling support, and resulting in poor performance iirc, due to bugginess). Will this somehow bypass that?
I expect Nvidia to make it work. VR "SLI" has very little to do with driver-level SLI as we know it.

So I dont trust my friends and want to get some better wrist straps for my controllers. I don't see any official nintendo or sony ones on amazon though and I'm not sure which 3rd party ones to trust.

Anyone have a recommendation

Tried DOOM in Theatre mode with the largest screen size

Holy fuck

Even for regular games, VR is the fucking tits

I can't seem to get good performance in Theatre mode. And the big problem is that the lowered framerate in the game becomes the framerate in the Theatre. But, I haven't fiddled with it *too* much.

SimplexPL

Individual properties of each game:

t45SsqB.png

Well, I'm hyped: Fruit Ninja VR is out in three hours. Finally.

Too bad I'm away from my Vive for another week and a half. Really starting to miss it. :(

Was initially a bit disappointed by the early access label, but the description promises that the game is super polished, and that's what I care about.

Too bad I'm away from my Vive for another week and a half. Really starting to miss it. :(

Was initially a bit disappointed by the early access label, but the description promises that the game is super polished, and that's what I care about.

I'm curious if it's more fun than ZenBlade which is largely un-fun imo due to how realistic it tries to be.

Zenblade also looked super-janky. The reviews I read said that you couldn't stab? That's pretty bad.

You can from my understanding. I think it's just really hard to due to how strict the physics are (leading back to my original point). My specific issue with it is that you have to hit the fruit at very realistic angles for it to register as a cut, or else you'll just bat the fruit out of the way which sounds fine on paper except of course the fruit is flying at you real fast, in groups, usually spinning in the air, etc.

I've decided to make Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays my cardio VR days (which is really just an excuse to play a bunch of VR guilt-free). I warmed up with Space Pirate Trainer and then tried, unsuccessfully multiple times, to beat Medium mode on HoloBall (got to the end of Round 5 twice and failed). I then played Buzzbot Attack for the first time on Hover Junkers. There were three of us and we made it to wave 15. I had 29 kills but one of the other players had over 50. It's also pretty good training for the main multiplayer mode. I feel like I am getting pretty good with dual pistols.

After that I decided to try Battle Dome for the first time and ended up encountering the first group of asshole people I ever have in virtual reality. One guy was complaining about people using two-handed weapons and another in general how much his team sucked. I guess it was only a matter of time. Minus that, it seemed OK, but a bit too early for my tastes. I'll check it out again when it is further along.

Then I finished with some Audioshield. It was a good morning!

Now it's time to try The Brookhaven Experiment's campaign mode for the first time.

Well having played about with the supersampling tool, what an improvement to previously hideous looking games! Neon arcade looked damn good now, previously just awful!, a couple of games ignored the tool, but most worked and just made everything look brilliant!

I can't see any game, which centers about movement and action, not include teleportation as a game-mechanic. So you need to build you're game around it, make rules and have it always in mind.

This is indeed a great approach. However, I feel like it limits the types of games we can create. Perhaps that's just an inherent limitation of Virtual Reality—but I think there's more options worth exploring.

For example, while Walkabout could certainly get annoying, it could also prove a reasonable option for games where a teleportation mechanic wouldn't make sense. And as I've said earlier, I'm also super intrigued by the infinite corridor method used by Unseen Diplomacy.

I recognize that both these methods require larger play areas though. I'm kind of hoping that as time goes on and VR becomes a bit more integrated into our lives (for lack of a better word?), more VR owners will find ways to give themselves larger play areas.

I was pretty surprised how non-queasy the point and walk locomotion system in vrZgame was. Got me thinking about how cool a first person VR MOBA using that system could be....

Fruit Ninja VR is out now. It is $14.99 (but on sale until the 14th for $11.99). I'm curious to hear impressions of it. I was going to get it if it was a lot cheaper, but I'm not sure if it has enough content/replayability to justify what initially seems like a high cost.

Tain

I was pretty surprised how non-queasy the point and walk locomotion system in vrZgame was.

This isn't a rare reaction, either, from what I've seen. Still betting that we'll see more and more surprisingly straightforward implementations of artificial locomotion (following basic rules like slow speed, no rotation, no gradual acceleration, etc) over time.

This isn't a rare reaction, either, from what I've seen. Still betting that we'll see more and more surprisingly straightforward implementations of artificial locomotion (following basic rules like slow speed, no rotation, no gradual acceleration, etc) over time.

Yep. I'm hearing good stuff about Onward's implementation as well. It's straight up artificial locomotion via trackpad but limits you to moving where you're looking and has a slower speed. Apparently no complaints from the alpha testers so far.

wwm0nkey

Yep. I'm hearing good stuff about Onward's implementation as well. It's straight up artificial locomotion via trackpad but limits you to moving where you're looking and has a slower speed. Apparently no complaints from the alpha testers so far.

also sent him a message about the walk in place system and he said he was going to look into that too.

Zaptruder

Banned

also sent him a message about the walk in place system and he said he was going to look into that too.

The good thing about artificial locomotion is that it's easy as hell to simulate walking in place with it. I mean, obviously actual walking in place would be better, but I've played through huge chunks of The Solus Project doing simulated walking in place.

And it helps significantly with nausea reduction and improves immersion. Total win win.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was pretty surprised how non-queasy the point and walk locomotion system in vrZgame was. Got me thinking about how cool a first person VR MOBA using that system could be....

How does it work? There is a locomotion option in vivecraft where you walk in the direction your left controller is pointing when you press the left trackpad. That sounds similar but I find it uncomfortable. You do seem to walk quite quickly though

Durante

Has anyone gotten the steamvr settings downsampling to work with UE4 games? Most that I've tried seem to ignore it, unlike pretty much everything else.

kungfuian

Are there any games that handle changes of location/setting using a sort of magical room transformation method?

I'm imagining something similar to puppeteer but in 3D. In that example the setting would be rolled out, dropped down, and pop up in front of you kind of like a magical stage change in a play. Another example might be more futuristic where the world strips down all it's details and deconstructs into wire frame or simple neon outlines cubes then rebuilds itself around you and fills back in with detail.

Their are lots of ways/styles something like this could be done where the world transforms/rebuilds itself around you, and it seems like it would be a good fit for VR. A transformation process like this seems like it might also kind of visually validate the change from one place to another for the user.

derFeef

Ugh, I need more space for those games. I already smashed my controller against the wall while playing HordeZ :(

Knch

Caved and ordered a 1080 (and EK waterblock/backplate,) I feel dirty now... (But will probably enjoy the eventual smoother VR experience down the line.)

How does it work? There is a locomotion option in vivecraft where you walk in the direction your left controller is pointing when you press the left trackpad. That sounds similar but I find it uncomfortable. You do seem to walk quite quickly though

Imagine the standard Lab style teleportation except when you initiate, your character slowly walks to the destination instead of instantly teleporting. You can still turn around while you're on your way, which allows you to look around and fire in any direction while moving including behind you. Effectively it's kind of like RTS point and click controls except from the first person (which is what got me thinking down the MOBA line). Though every once in a while I may get a little dizziness from looking to the side while moving, I never got sick playing it. I imagine it's due to the very slow walking speed. If you've ever played HordeZ, it's at about that pace if not a bit slower and I've never had problems with that either.

Here's some gameplay video.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
elite dangerous - arena is free to own until 11th july - multiplayer arena dogfighting in elite spaceships, with Vive support. just go to the store page and hit install game before the 11th July and it'll be yours to keep.

elite dangerous - arena is free to own until 11th july - multiplayer arena dogfighting in elite spaceships, with Vive support. just go to the store page and hit install game before the 11th July and it'll be yours to keep.

oh that's good. but it should have always been free as a gateway for more full Elite Dangerous purchases. one of their many miscalculations.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Fruit Ninja looks awful. It's cashing in on a brand for a game that was interesting in the early touch screen days. The VR game appears to have no inspiration. Has anyone played it and can prove me wrong? I hope. I'd like it if the game did something interesting instead of being what seems to me as a cash in.

Fruit Ninja looks awful. It's cashing in on a brand for a game that was interesting in the early touch screen days. The VR game appears to have no inspiration. Has anyone played it and can prove me wrong? I hope. I'd like it if the game did something interesting instead of being what seems to me as a cash in.

It seems way overpriced as well, it feels like some devs think there should be a premium on VR, where its quickly come to light that VR or not - content is king.

Huh? It looked really good to me based on videos, at least. Much better than the Ninja Trainer knockoff. Seems to be getting good reviews as well.

It DOES seem somewhat overpriced, but let's be honest... most of the VR games right now cost more than they have a right to.

Can't actually try it until I get home in a week and a half. Would love to hear impressions.

So Nvidia's fun house is according to Nvidia able to run on a single 980ti/1070/1080, but recommended for 1080 SLI. But what are they going to scale back for running on just 1? I'm guessing the amount of physx based stuff and whatever else going on at once?

But does it use this new single pass stereo technique? That apparently is twice as efficient as a 980ti in VR?

Because if so then a single 1070 and 1080 would smash the ti off the park, but this definitely doesn't sound like the case, if the ti is in the same category as the new cards.
I just hope this new VR efficiency isn't just fluff from Nvidia.

Zalusithix

Starting SteamVR from the button on the headset. Fucking finally!

Eh, takes time for the lighthouses to come on and everything to sync anyhow, so I don't think it'd make things any quicker or easier for me. As it is, I just bring up the Steam window, click the SteamVR button, walk over and grab my controllers, activate them, confirm that everything is synced on the monitor, and then put on the headset.

Using the headset button would save me at most three clicks with the mouse. Often only two. Sometimes one.

Eh, takes time for the lighthouses to come on and everything to sync anyhow, so I don't think it'd make things any quicker or easier for me. As it is, I just bring up the Steam window, click the SteamVR button, walk over and grab my controllers, activate them, confirm that everything is synced on the monitor, and then put on the headset.

Using the headset button would save me at most three clicks with the mouse. Often only two. Sometimes one.

It means not having to turn on your monitor or have to touch anything other than the Vive kit. It's not a speed benefit, it's a convenience one.

Zalusithix

It means not having to turn on your monitor or have to touch anything other than the Vive kit. It's not a speed benefit, it's a convenience one.
I have my monitor on anyhow at that stage. VR is never the first thing I do when I get to the computer. Even if it was off, if want it on so I could confirm both lighthouses were active and all devices tracking fine before putting the headset on. Perhaps if there were status LEDs on the headset for that, I wouldn't care about the monitor, but alas there aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom