• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waltz of the Wizard is very good. I particularly enjoyed the composer spell, and your visits through the portals. For the duration of the experience, they particularly nailed the feeling of unknown and mystery that should come with magic (unlike most video games). The interactions and curiosities that you find throughout the tower room add a lot too.

My desire to see a fully-realized VR dungeon-crawler is all the more painful.

Have you played Vanishing Realms?
It's an excellent game.

Just tried subnautica on Vive using Revive Injector. Every single VR game or experience I've tried thus far has not made me sick but this is the one title that did it.

My hardware is not the issue as I'm able to run the game at max settings without drops in frames. The issue here is the aritificial locomotion coupled with the undulating sea, and up and down swimming motion. Not only did I feel nauseous while playing, I felt sick for an hour after playing.

Rather unfortunate because the game looks and plays great in VR. Probably one of the best performing and looking games with VR tacked on, IMO.

Leatherface

Just tried subnautica on Vive using Revive Injector. Every single VR game or experience I've tried thus far has not made me sick but this is the one title that did it.

My hardware is not the issue as I'm able to run the game at max settings without drops in frames. The issue here is the aritificial locomotion coupled with the undulating sea, and up and down swimming motion. Not only did I feel nauseous while playing, I felt sick for an hour after playing.

Rather unfortunate because the game looks and plays great in VR. Probably one of the best performing and looking games with VR tacked on, IMO.

This is one of my only games I have yet to test in VR and I've avoided it for the exact reasons you just described. I was worried about the motion in this one being in water and such. Bummer.

On the plus side I did NOT get sick in Project Cars or House of the Dying Sun which both kick ass in VR. :)

Multiplayer mode for QuiVR is live today.

jD6v45t.jpg

DevLog going over it. (MP Gameplay start at 5:27)

If 4 player co-op Lab Longbow sounds fun to you, you should try it. It's basically free right now through the demo and mechanically it's really solid and fun despite how early it is.

Multiplayer mode for Out of Ammo is also live now.

Business

Last week I sold my DK2 and finally pulled the trigger on a Vive. Got it in the mail today already and besides the software bundled and the lab, what are the must haves?

deadfolk

Strange. This is the one game I consistently get dropouts on - i.e. screen flashes to grey regularly.

This is with a 980ti and i-7 4770k with all graphics settings set to minimum.

Multiplayer mode for QuiVR is live today.

If 4 player co-op Lab Longbow sounds fun to you, you should try it. It's basically free right now through the demo and mechanically it's really solid and fun despite how early it is.

Multiplayer mode for Out of Ammo is also live now.

I hadn't seen QuiVR before, that sounds like fun.

I really hope there are some content updates for Out of Ammo soon. Multiplayer is cool I guess, but content and balance is really what that game needs.

I hadn't seen QuiVR before, that sounds like fun.

I really hope there are some content updates for Out of Ammo soon. Multiplayer is cool I guess, but content and balance is really what that game needs.

Sounds like they had to put a lot of stuff on hold (including bug fixes) to get multiplayer up and running. So now that that's done I think we can expect that being the focus now. Specifically the campaign.

Sounds like they had to put a lot of stuff on hold (including bug fixes) to get multiplayer up and running. So now that that's done I think we can expect that being the focus now. Specifically the campaign.

I hope so! That game is still the most fun I've had in VR, and has huge potential. Right now though, you just hit a wall where it's impossible to get past a certain wave.

This is one of my only games I have yet to test in VR and I've avoided it for the exact reasons you just described. I was worried about the motion in this one being in water and such. Bummer.

On the plus side I did NOT get sick in Project Cars or House of the Dying Sun which both kick ass in VR. :)

Racing games are fine for me and I haven't played House of the Dying Sun, but do have Elite Dangerous: Arena and that is fine for me as well. As of right now the only game that makes me sick is Subnautica. Will try it again today just to be sure it wasn't something else that was making me sick.

Strange. This is the one game I consistently get dropouts on - i.e. screen flashes to grey regularly.

This is with a 980ti and i-7 4770k with all graphics settings set to minimum.

Might be a driver issue? I am using a 5820k + 390X 8gb. I did get an occasional screen flicker from my player model, mainly the arms and legs, going fully elastic.

dakun

just bought an unused Vive with all game codes for 840€. I never tried a VR headset so i'm jumping into this purely on word of mouth. Which is insanity but i have the feeling i won't regret it. Only worry is of course that software support might be lacking so it will end up collecting some dust for some time until new experiences come out.

Lets see if it will be worth it.

Paganmoon

God damn, Apollo 11 VR actually made me cry. I could just be a bit mushy, but damn, being a geek about science and space all my life, and just eating up most media about the Moon landings, this really struck.

Onemic

God damn, Apollo 11 VR actually made me cry. I could just be a bit mushy, but damn, being a geek about science and space all my life, and just eating up most media about the Moon landings, this really struck.

Im big into Science/Space but I heard Apollo VR wasnt that good for the price. What are the games shortcomings?

Sky Chief

That happened to me the first time I tried the demo. Had to keep pulling off my DK2 to wipe away years.

Wouldn't first person turn based games be a perfect fit for VR until we solve artificial locomotion?

It would use game mechanics that we already understand as well as roomscale for whatever immediate "space" you are inhabiting so it would still feel somewhat natural. you could set whatever the minimum roomscale space requirement is for the game as the same area of each "space" that you can move to although I guess you could just teleport within that space as well if you want to make it larger. I think this way it wouldn't be totally breaking immersion with limited locomotion if the game isn't set up like a game where we think we should be able to just keep walking. If we think that this game is meant to be played like say, legend of grimrock,
Legend_of_Grimrock_2_screenshot_3.jpg

where we understand movement is made in a grid-like space we will have that predefined set of rules for locomotion and space restrictions in our heads from the beginning.

Anyway, I made a post about it a while back before I had my Vive and after all this time spent in VR I still think it would be a great way of providing much longer/meatier games in an intuitive way with the limited locomotion that we have now. Here it is with more concepts and a little more fleshed out if anyone is interested in the read I would love the feedback.

Paganmoon

Im big into Science/Space but I heard Apollo VR wasnt that good for the price. What are the games shortcomings?

It's short (just over an hour for the whole thing), it has very little in terms of interactivity, so not really a game, but a "VR experience", actually, more like a documentary in VR. Textures can look muddy and soft at times, though I did not test supersampling with it. Would've liked more time with every scene, but they're on set times, very guided.

But I thought it was worth it. And I'd easily pay another 10€ for VR documentary, where you for instance follow Opportunity/Spirit or some other mars rover on it's journey. VR and science/education are just so perfect for each other.

If someone hasn't already started a VR documentary company, it's about damned time someone did. Imagine Cosmos, in VR, get an actual 3D visualization of all the science would go so far in making things more understandable for laymen and general public.

I see I got off track a bit there, but yeah, Apollo 11 VR has shortcomings, a few of them, I still loved it.

Has anybody here used Sound Stage vr yet.
I watched Giant bomb mess around with it and it looked like one of the coolest vr experiences i have seen so far.
It makes me wanna cancel my psvr and get a vive. Even though i have little money, and little space for vr.

Has anyone played soundstage, and is so, how viable is it as a music making tool?

Zalusithix

It's short (just over an hour for the whole thing), it has very little in terms of interactivity, so not really a game, but a "VR experience", actually, more like a documentary in VR. Textures can look muddy and soft at times, though I did not test supersampling with it. Would've liked more time with every scene, but they're on set times, very guided.

But I thought it was worth it. And I'd easily pay another 10€ for VR documentary, where you for instance follow Opportunity/Spirit or some other mars rover on it's journey. VR and science/education are just so perfect for each other.

If someone hasn't already started a VR documentary company, it's about damned time someone did. Imagine Cosmos, in VR, get an actual 3D visualization of all the science would go so far in making things more understandable for laymen and general public.

I see I got off track a bit there, but yeah, Apollo 11 VR has shortcomings, a few of them, I still loved it.

Apollo 11 is basically a peek at what's possible with VR as an education medium. Lots of flaws stemming from the obvious low budget, and being the first out there, but a solid look at the future.

I can totally see stuff like that being used in a classroom and captivating the imaginations of children. Certainly far more exciting than whatever the modern equivalent of wheeling a TV into the classroom and watching a video is. Sure there's a cost with providing VR gear to every student, but considering schools have already played around with providing (useless) tablets to kids, VR shouldn't be a problem as costs drop.

Onemic

Cool, I'll check it out then.

Has anybody here used Sound Stage vr yet.
I watched Giant bomb mess around with it and it looked like one of the coolest vr experiences i have seen so far.
It makes me wanna cancel my psvr and get a vive. Even though i have little money, and little space for vr.

Has anyone played soundstage, and is so, how viable is it as a music making tool?

I got it. I played around with it for about an hour and it's really fun, but it's a little too limited to replace any DAW you might be using. For example, exporting isn't in yet (it's coming though), the out of the box samples are pretty limited (though luckily you can import your own), and there are some UI issues that need to be improved on. Right now it's kind of in an in-between state of being a music "toy" and production software. Unless you were straight up planning on replacing any full fledged software you might be using, that's not necessarily a bad thing though. As far as music "toys" go, it gives you a lot of power to get semi serious with it. As long as you keep that in mind and the videos you've seen look interesting to you, I'd say it's definitely worth a purchase at it's asking price.

Bonus Video: Experiments in VR Drumming

Leatherface

Last week I sold my DK2 and finally pulled the trigger on a Vive. Got it in the mail today already and besides the software bundled and the lab, what are the must haves?

Vanishing Realms
Brookhaven Experiment
The Lab (FREE!)
House of the Dying Sun
Project Cars
Space Pirate Trainer
Virtual Desktop

:)

Is it just me or do we ALL want Legend of Grimrock to be a VR game now? :D

It's frustrating lol. I would love to make a proof of concept for it but I literally just started learning to code last week.

I'm sure someone will scoop up the idea sooner or later though. It just makes too much sense and I can't be the first one to be thinking this lol.

Tain

Chronos is compatible with Revive, right?

It may not be the best demo software, being seated and all, but I'd call it a must-own.

Leatherface

So House of Dying Sun is legit?

confirm/deny

confirm x100

It's frustrating lol. I would love to make a proof of concept for it but I literally just started learning to code last week.

I'm sure someone will scoop up the idea sooner or later though. It just makes too much sense and I can't be the first one to be thinking this lol.

Thanks to Vanishing Realms I think they will be here sooner than later. That game proves the potential big time. :eek:

Are you using Unity or Unreal to learn? Interested in trying my hand at it.

Are you using Unity or Unreal to learn? Interested in trying my hand at it.

Oh man, I should have been more clear lol. I meant that as, "I literally know so little because I am just learning simple code for the first time." lol It sometimes seems like everyone and their brother around here codes to some extent so I thought I'd give it a try.

I am just dipping my fingers in with Kahn academy and learning the language to see how I like it. They have an awesome coarse right now and take you through step by step for the basics and you are actually reviewed by your peers and supervisors.

They use Java which they say is a good base for whatever else you want to do in the future because the base language or ideas are pretty standard across the board.

Maybe there is a better way but it's working for me for now and I am really loving it. I thought it would be gibberish to me but it's freaking me out how well I am following and retaining it.

I am primarily learning code for our family business so that I can redesign and troubleshoot our websites without having to pay/deal with a third party.

I hope to dabble in video game stuff in the future even if just as a hobby but I would have no idea where to start yet lol.

(Hopefully I'm not blind and just haven't seen this in the options but....)

I think it would be awesome of Valve to implement the ability to change certain parts of the grid for the chaperone. Like on one side of the grid I know are couches, so obviously while I can't move past them I can know I can swing the controllers without fear of hitting anything. But on the other side is where our TV is and walls so obviously swinging around/above can't work in that area. I'd like to be able to change the colors of specific sections of the grid, so like the couch area can be say Purple while the TV area is orange or something. with in between just being blue like normal I feel like this isn't wouldn't even be the hardest thing to implement.

Zalusithix

(Hopefully I'm not blind and just haven't seen this in the options but....)

I think it would be awesome of Valve to implement the ability to change certain parts of the grid for the chaperone. Like on one side of the grid I know are couches, so obviously while I can't move past them I can know I can swing the controllers without fear of hitting anything. But on the other side is where our TV is and walls so obviously swinging around/above can't work in that area. I'd like to be able to change the colors of specific sections of the grid, so like the couch area can be say Purple while the TV area is orange or something. with in between just being blue like normal I feel like this isn't wouldn't even be the hardest thing to implement.

Simple solution, make the chaperone bounds asymmetrical. Notch a chunk out where the couches are. Straight wall = TV. Wall with notch = couch. Set it so the ground outline is always visible if you want it immediately obvious at a glance.

I know the feeling lol. I have a decently fleshed out idea for a VR MOBA prototype, but I'm just learning to code and even if I knew how, I doubt I would be able to do anything significant with it by myself.

Wallach

Finally going to have my Vive ordered next week, and I've decided to empty out the room next to my office upstairs as a VR room. It's about 11' x 12', which seems pretty close to ideal for roomscale stuff, no? I'm mostly curious how any of you might have routed the link box as I'm gonna need to leave my PC in the office; if I have enough cable to run from the one side of the breakout box to the PC through the wall so that the breakout box was basically right on the other side of the wall in the VR room, how long is the headset cable itself from headset to breakout box? Trying to figure out if I should mount the breakout box to the wall on the other side or something so I can't step on it and the floor is totally clear, but I do want there to be enough cable from there to reach the far wall (which is the 11' length of the room).

Zalusithix

Finally going to have my Vive ordered next week, and I've decided to empty out the room next to my office upstairs as a VR room. It's about 11' x 12', which seems pretty close to ideal for roomscale stuff, no? I'm mostly curious how any of you might have routed the link box as I'm gonna need to leave my PC in the office; if I have enough cable to run from the one side of the breakout box to the PC through the wall so that the breakout box was basically right on the other side of the wall in the VR room, how long is the headset cable itself from headset to breakout box? Trying to figure out if I should mount the breakout box to the wall on the other side or something so I can't step on it and the floor is totally clear, but I do want there to be enough cable from there to reach the far wall (which is the 11' length of the room).

Cable is ~15 feet, but keep in mind that has to go up to your head, so not all of that is useful for actual traversal.

Simple solution, make the chaperone bounds asymmetrical. Notch a chunk out where the couches are. Straight wall = TV. Wall with notch = couch. Set it so the ground outline is always visible if you want it immediately obvious at a glance.

I already have something like that, and I'd rather keep the ground outline off. I feel I'd notice color better considering how often I kind of lose track of what position I'm facing (That's both a positive of how good the Vive is but obviously a negative for this reason) I'll try making the TV side more evident in shape though!

I also think it'd be cool if in the future Valve lets us specifically tell the device what objects are near or around the grid. Camera view turning on is neat but takes up a lot of the view and takes me out of a game way more than just the grid ever does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom