• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so my Vive arrives tomorrow. So far I've downloaded:
Audioshield
Budget Cuts Demo
Fruit Ninja VR
The Lab
Space Pirate Trainer
theBlu

What else is good?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Project cars isn't a must have anything, the "game" is a bore unless you're a sim nerd.

Eh,me for a reasonable price on sale it's worth it IMO. Even if you aren't a 'sim nerd' you can just play single races with all the assists on to help you stay on track. I thnk unless you absolutely hate racing games of any kind, you need to at least have one in VR for the experience and PCars is the most accessible currently

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Audioshield
Budget Cuts Demo
Fruit Ninja VR
The Lab
Space Pirate Trainer
theBlu

What else is good?

I like water bears as a fun puzzle game, and blazerush from the oculus store (need to use revive to make that work but it's like racing real toy cars). Speaking of oculus, download Luckys Tale too as it's free in the oculus store.

Durante

I tried the microphone on the Vive for the first time yesterday with Mumble and it works quite well. It's really good to have, since especially with my 2-room setup getting another microphone there would be supremely annoying.

Wouldn't first person turn based games be a perfect fit for VR until we solve artificial locomotion?

It would use game mechanics that we already understand as well as roomscale for whatever immediate "space" you are inhabiting so it would still feel somewhat natural. you could set whatever the minimum roomscale space requirement is for the game as the same area of each "space" that you can move to although I guess you could just teleport within that space as well if you want to make it larger. I think this way it wouldn't be totally breaking immersion with limited locomotion if the game isn't set up like a game where we think we should be able to just keep walking. If we think that this game is meant to be played like say, legend of grimrock,
Legend_of_Grimrock_2_screenshot_3.jpg

where we understand movement is made in a grid-like space we will have that predefined set of rules for locomotion and space restrictions in our heads from the beginning.

Anyway, I made a post about it a while back before I had my Vive and after all this time spent in VR I still think it would be a great way of providing much longer/meatier games in an intuitive way with the limited locomotion that we have now. Here it is with more concepts and a little more fleshed out if anyone is interested in the read I would love the feedback.
Well, I can't really say anything more than that I fully agree -- I also made a post about this not too long after the Vive was announced.

Haint

Eh,me for a reasonable price on sale it's worth it IMO. Even if you aren't a 'sim nerd' you can just play single races with all the assists on to help you stay on track. I thnk unless you absolutely hate racing games of any kind, you need to at least have one in VR for the experience and PCars is the most accessible currently

The problem's not assists or staying on the track, it's that exclusively real life courses are as interesting as plain toast. Tack on other pot marks like lack of a traditional SP campaign with a sense of progression, sim nonsense like qualifying heats, and possibly the worst menus/UI ever designed drowning in options, and you've got a recipe for stinky cheese. An acquired taste that's definitely not a must have save for very specific clientele. That's not even getting into the VR implementation being pretty shit, with poor performance and visuals among requiring players mess with world scale options, locked horizons, and a billion graphical settings to get something workable.

Paganmoon

After trying another game with artificial ("stick") locomotion, this time being Mind: Path to Thalamus, I'm more leaning towards teleport as default. No nausea or anything, it just didn't feel natural. I feel it's a bigger disconnect in artificial locomotion when your feet aren't moving, than with teleport.

cakefoo

Audioshield
Budget Cuts Demo
Fruit Ninja VR
The Lab
Space Pirate Trainer
theBlu

What else is good?
My personal favorites:
A Chair in a Room - excellent horror/mystery game
RecRoom - free social/sports game with lots of silliness
Tiltbrush - get it, even if you aren't an artist
Waltz of the Wizard - free ~20 minute experience playing around with magic
Out of Ammo - RTS meets FPS, content and features constantly being added
Brookhaven Experiment - wave-based horror shooter- try the demo
Blarp! - unique game, trippy

Many more community-approved games.

Durante

The problem's not assists or staying on the track, it's that exclusively real life courses are as interesting as plain toast. Tack on other pot marks like lack of a traditional SP campaign with a sense of progression, sim nonsense like qualifying heats, and possibly the worst menus/UI ever designed drowning in options, and you've got a recipe for stinky cheese. An acquired taste that's definitely not a must have save for very specific clientele. That's not even getting into the VR implementation being pretty shit, with poor performance and visuals among requiring players mess with world scale options, locked horizons, and a billion graphical settings to get something workable.
If you want to play a "racing" game with interesting courses and a great VR implementation, try Radial-G!

Paganmoon

Can also say Quivr is a really fun little demo, specially with the multiplayer addition. It's got a bit of jank, with arrows getting stuck in the air if you aim too close to the parapet, and the netcode probably not being the best, but it's really fun just shooting arrows with other people. Would like to be able to communication more with hand gestures with others though, like in hover junkers. Just a simple thumbs up would add a bit.

artsi

Any music game (like Audioshield) yet released that can use human made Osu beatmaps? I remember someone developing one, actually two projects, but I haven't heard anything since.

I'll go buy me another Vive when that's available.

EDIT: Found it, still in development but looks good and snappy.

Business

Durante

Any music game (like Audioshield) yet released that can use human made Osu beatmaps? I remember someone developing one, actually two projects, but I haven't heard anything since.

That looks great.

One nice thing about rythm games with VR is that unlike screen games you can be sure that everyone has a really good latency baseline, which is important both for VR and for rythm games.

Oh shit, that looks so much better than Audioshield. Automatically generated beatmaps are so terrible, they never come close to a good human designed one. We're going to see some really cool rhythm games in VR I expect.

artsi

Oh shit, that looks so much better than Audioshield. Automatically generated beatmaps are so terrible, they never come close to a good human designed one. We're going to see some really cool rhythm games in VR I expect.

Yeah and the good thing using Osu beatmaps is that there's already thousands of them, they're ranked / rated etc. so there's no shortage of content.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dirt Rally seems a lot of fun in VR. Need to play around with the controls - bit of a pain that you need a keyboard handy to reset your view and fine tune the cockpit camera position if needed - although if you have an adjustable office chair you can just adjust yourself which might be easier.

A little odd feeling when you do hairpin turns but hopefully something you get used to. They've locked the view to the horizon rather than to the car, which looks odd when the car is heavily bouncing around, but might be better for VR and reducing any likelihood of nausea.

Only played with the mini so far, and only on medium settings to avoid any framerate issues. Need to experiment with which settings can be adjusted.

Ugh, this looks absolutely fantastic, but the lack of motion controls just kills it for me. I'm really not interested in playing a VR exploration game while holding an Xbox controller.

Think there's any chance it'll be added in later?

No. The community manager (MonkeyThumbz) is active on GAF and he said they don't have any plans for it due to how long and deep they've been in development, though they'll likely use motion controls for their next project if it makes sense.

No. The community manager (MonkeyThumbz) is active on GAF and he said they don't have any plans for it due to how long and deep they've been in development, though they'll likely use motion controls for their next project if it makes sense.
legitimately disappointing. I might still give it a go, but without motion controls I'm likely to just play it outside VR if I buy it

XShagrath

http://steamcommunity.com/app/373650/discussions/0/365172408529725582/

This thread over on Steam seems to mention that there is teleport/blink. Does that mean that it's teleport/blink with a controller?

edit:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/373650/discussions/0/358415738216459844/

This thread says that's exactly what it is. Extremely disappointed. Had just added it to my wishlist because it looks nice and polished, and now it's coming right off.

I still play "normal" games, and have no problem with them. But for me, VR is more than just a 360 degree camera.

I get that. I don't begrudge you (or anyone) for it either. I'm just saying if the game is good on a monitor with a controller, I'd still probably rather play it in VR with a controller as long as the VR implementation is well done.

Pre-orders have started in a few middle-eastern countries. Looks like HTC is starting to expand international availability.

Shipping starting September.

Source. FYI, that's 880 USD.

FINALLY!!! I can get one...... in September :(

I get that. I don't begrudge you (or anyone) for it either. I'm just saying if the game is good on a monitor with a controller, I'd still probably rather play it in VR with a controller as long as the VR implementation is well done.

Exactly.

The problem, at least for me, with "gaming after VR" is that when I play on a traditional display I keep thinking "this would be so cool in VR".

When I play a traditional game in VR I keep thinking "this would be cool with motion controls and roomscale".

And when I play roomscale I keep thinking "hook me to the matrix".

It's a sad reality. xD

Arulan

Nvidia has figured out the 1080/displayport/Vive issue, and are releasing a fix this week apparently: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/949984/htc-vive/htc-vive-and-dp/

Will be nice to not crawl under my desk to switch between projector and VR use :p

That's certainly nice.

Personally, I'm still using DVI-D, partly because my display requires it or DisplayPort for 120Hz, and the other because I don't like HDMI. Handshaking issues, often outdated in bandwidth, and the color issue (unless that has been fixed; I know there was a workaround though). I never really found the included audio as a significant advantage for computer use either.

Whenever I upgrade to a G-sync display, I'll likely have to use DisplayPort, which is great. The only reason I don't use it on my current display is due to some issues with the display while using it.

Durante

I'm also using DVI-D for my monitor, and I need HDMI for my projector (I have a 15m HDMI cable), so Displayport was a natural fit for the Vive.
...until I upgraded to a 1080 and ran into this bug.

I do hope to eventually switch to a DP monitor, but I've probably spent enough on PC hardware this year :p

Leatherface

I didn't have to change any options (I am using a 1080). I loaded up the game selected single race, chose my car and was in. No performance issues at all.

Edit: one more recommendation for anyone interested. I tried Elite: Dangerous last night. Not the full on game but the dog fighting mode. I used my PS4 controller, which worked exceptionally well. Man oh man space dog fighting is THE SHIT! I must have played for an hour and change straight and it didn't take long before I was weaving in and out of space stations and asteroids while capping fools. I absolutely loved it! ZERO motion sickness either. Hell yeah! LOVE this game. :D

ToD_

Nvidia has figured out the 1080/displayport/Vive issue, and are releasing a fix this week apparently: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/949984/htc-vive/htc-vive-and-dp/

Will be nice to not crawl under my desk to switch between projector and VR use :p

Hallelujah! I had the same issue (projector and VR).

Maybe you or someone else can help me out with my cabling situation. I have a small office where my PC resides. The room next to it has the projector, which is connected to the PC with a 50ft HDMI cable. Miraculously, it works without a hitch.

Now, that room with the projector is also the room with enough space for roomscale VR. The problem here is that the cables of the Vive are not long enough to make it far into that room from the office. In other words, I need to extend the cables. I'd have to measure it all but I wouldn't need 50ft feet or anything. The extension would likely be a little under 10ft. Anyone with experience extending the cables from the PC -> link box? Of course, introducing latency is a no-no with VR. I basically want to avoid buying cables and run into issues.

Dirt Rally seems a lot of fun in VR. Need to play around with the controls - bit of a pain that you need a keyboard handy to reset your view and fine tune the cockpit camera position if needed - although if you have an adjustable office chair you can just adjust yourself which might be easier.

A little odd feeling when you do hairpin turns but hopefully something you get used to. They've locked the view to the horizon rather than to the car, which looks odd when the car is heavily bouncing around, but might be better for VR and reducing any likelihood of nausea.

Only played with the mini so far, and only on medium settings to avoid any framerate issues. Need to experiment with which settings can be adjusted.

I've done a lot of driving in other games using the Vive, and the odd feeling when turning has almost vanished for me (can't say the same at all for other types of motion sickness effects). I turned on car lock instead of horizon lock (it's under HUD options I think) since that has worked well for me in other games.

On medium for me (even with 1080) I get dropped to reprojection far more than I expected. Game runs well over 100fps at everything maxed out (even AA) when I am not in VR, so I am kind of surprised how much more the VR implementation demands. High was unplayable since it dropped frames every 0.5-1 second for some reason while performance otherwise seemed ok.

MaDKaT

Revive has been updated and seems to work with Dirt Rally now.

Excellent, I have been waiting for this. Well this and a new GPU. My 1080 was delivered today. Will be installing that when I get home from work and then it will be time to setup Revive and get back to it. Dirt Rally was literally the last non VR game I played before I got the Vive. Will be nice to get back to it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've done a lot of driving in other games using the Vive, and the odd feeling when turning has almost vanished for me (can't say the same at all for other types of motion sickness effects). I turned on car lock instead of horizon lock (it's under HUD options I think) since that has worked well for me in other games.

On medium for me (even with 1080) I get dropped to reprojection far more than I expected. Game runs well over 100fps at everything maxed out (even AA) when I am not in VR, so I am kind of surprised how much more the VR implementation demands. High was unplayable since it dropped frames every 0.5-1 second for some reason while performance otherwise seemed ok.

how do you track performance and dropped frames?

If its dropping even at medium with a 1080 (same GPU as me) maybe its CPU related? In which case you might be able to turn things up and not have too much impact in performance. Does seem odd though because I can run the game in non-VR on ultra at 3440x1440 and I haven't noticed any frame drops (but I haven't played it very long)

Durante

Maybe you or someone else can help me out with my cabling situation. I have a small office where my PC resides. The room next to it has the projector, which is connected to the PC with a 50ft HDMI cable. Miraculously, it works without a hitch.

Now, that room with the projector is also the room with enough space for roomscale VR. The problem here is that the cables of the Vive are not long enough to make it far into that room from the office. In other words, I need to extend the cables. I'd have to measure it all but I wouldn't need 50ft feet or anything. The extension would likely be a little under 10ft. Anyone with experience extending the cables from the PC -> link box? Of course, introducing latency is a no-no with VR. I basically want to avoid buying cables and run into issues.
Latency is not an issue, but signal strength can be. I tried using the Vive with a longer HDMI cable and ended up with a black screen on the HMD. I think some people had success with active signal boosters, but I haven't personally tried it.

Zalusithix

Just buy a 10 foot USB extension cable and a ~15 foot quality HDMI cable. Should net you around 12 feet total from the computer to the linkbox (limited by the USB). No need for active cables or the likes. Edit: I should be clear that I haven't actually done this (yet), but have heard of people that have without issue. Edit 2: You'll probably want active cables to be on the safe side.

Latency is not an issue, but signal strength can be. I tried using the Vive with a longer HDMI cable and ended up with a black screen on the HMD. I think some people had success with active signal boosters, but I haven't personally tried it.

How long were you running? And was this from the linkbox to headset or linkbox to computer? There should be a booster circuit between the headset and linkbox.

Durante

I was using a 5m cable between the link box and the GPU, but I was also using a mini-HDMI to HDMI converter (the cable was HDMI to mini-HDMI) which surely doesn't help signal integrity.

Still, I think you need to be a lot more careful about the signal than with most applications of HDMI, after all it's almost twice the data rate of 1080p60.

how do you track performance and dropped frames?

If its dropping even at medium with a 1080 (same GPU as me) maybe its CPU related? In which case you might be able to turn things up and not have too much impact in performance. Does seem odd though because I can run the game in non-VR on ultra at 3440x1440 and I haven't noticed any frame drops (but I haven't played it very long)

I don't track, I just look at the screen. Seeing when it drops to reprojection turns the image more blurry and is noticeable, and when frames skip it impacts tracking enough to make it very apparent. I only tried at medium and ultra, the latter was unplayable because of skipping frames. When I was driving around in the Mini, speed seemed to be low enough for it to run perfectly though. It was with the faster cars I saw it drop into reprojection.

I didn't really try to troubleshoot too much because I was a bit tired of fighting with my Logitech drivers (separate issue). I'm going to look at it some more later when it isn't too hot to wear the headset.

Haint

You guys heard of this coming out next week? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1245324

Honestly looks like one of the first proper VR *games* rather than a tech demo to me.

I would avoid out of principle. They have tacked on a literal VR tax, selling the 2D version for $19 and VR for $29 (I assume they will also sell a $10 VR upgrade)--despite the content being the same. Support for shit like that is probably not a message most people want to send. It kind of (not really) made some small level sense with Ethan Carter and liberal mental gymnastics, but not at all with an unreleased title.

Zalusithix

I was using a 5m cable between the link box and the GPU, but I was also using a mini-HDMI to HDMI converter (the cable was HDMI to mini-HDMI) which surely doesn't help signal integrity.

Still, I think you need to be a lot more careful about the signal than with most applications of HDMI, after all it's almost twice the data rate of 1080p60.

Yeah, the adapter wouldn't have helped matters, and I think I'm wrong on the internals. I could have sworn it was mentioned that there was a booster circuit for HDMI, but all I can find referenced is a repeater on the USB side of things. Granted finding the actual link box torn down is rather hard.

Probably safer going down the active route then. Adds some cost to the equation, but would be less of a gamble.

Tain

Assembly looks nice and polished, but it doesn't really look like my kind of game regardless of price and motion control support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom