• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

asker

It's blurry as hell. Still playable, and great, but it would be nice to have it function as well as the Rift without the need for anything else.
I don't know if there's much they can do. Inspecting the image passed to the Vive shows it's of equal quality to that sent to a Rift. It's not simply a case of changing a texture filter. Were I to hazard a guess as to why it looks better on the Rift, I'd say it's because of its lower FOV and therefore higher pixel density in the center of the users view.

Kyonashi

I would avoid out of principle. They have tacked on a literal VR tax, selling the 2D version for $19 and VR for $29 (I assume they will also sell a $10 VR upgrade)--despite the content being the same. Support for shit like that is probably not a message most people want to send. It kind of (not really) made some small level sense with Ethan Carter and liberal mental gymnastics, but not at all with an unreleased title.

I dunno, I think it seems more like their price point is £19.99 (which is a fair price for indie titles imo) and they've just made the non-VR version more palatable. It's not like its a game with a VR upgrade, it was designed *as* a VR game.

It's a far cry from £30 or £40.

ToD_

Latency is not an issue, but signal strength can be. I tried using the Vive with a longer HDMI cable and ended up with a black screen on the HMD. I think some people had success with active signal boosters, but I haven't personally tried it.

Just buy a 10 foot USB extension cable and a ~15 foot quality HDMI cable. Should net you around 12 feet total from the computer to the linkbox (limited by the USB). No need for active cables or the likes. Edit: I should be clear that I haven't actually done this (yet), but have heard of people that have without issue. Edit 2: You'll probably want active cables to be on the safe side.

Great. Thanks for the input. I'll be searching for active displayport to mini displayport cables then.

Durante

Do I sense a Durante fix incoming? lol
I had actually just started to work on intercepting the GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize call when it turned out that SteamVR already has an option to do exactly what I'd have wanted to accomplish with that. So no fix needed :p

Leatherface

Hey guys, I'm looking to get some wireless headphones for my Vive. Can any of you recommend some solid budget Bluetooth/wireless headphones with low latency? AptX tech seems to be the way to go for Bluetooth but I have zero experience with it and I'm not even sure my Bluetooth adapter supports it. Eitherway, I am curious. Thanks.

I would avoid out of principle. They have tacked on a literal VR tax, selling the 2D version for $19 and VR for $29 (I assume they will also sell a $10 VR upgrade)--despite the content being the same. Support for shit like that is probably not a message most people want to send. It kind of (not really) made some small level sense with Ethan Carter and liberal mental gymnastics, but not at all with an unreleased title.

Huh?

Think about the economics of this. Supporting VR:
-Costs extra money/resources for optimization, testing, etc.
-Is an untested market, which thus means that the developer carries more risk.
-Has a smaller user base, which inherently necessitates making more money from each individual customer.

This is the type of thing we should support if we want more games to be compatible with VR. That isn't to say that anyone should feel obligated to purchase it (I probably won't due to the lack of motion controls), but "boycotting" it because the VR versions costs extra is silly.

Haint

Huh?

Think about the economics of this. Supporting VR:
-Costs extra money/resources for optimization, testing, etc.
-Is an untested market, which thus means that the developer carries more risk.
-Has a smaller user base, which inherently necessitates making more money from each individual customer.

This is the type of thing we should support if we want more games to be compatible with VR. That isn't to say that anyone should feel obligated to purchase it (I probably won't due to the lack of motion controls), but "boycotting" it because the VR versions costs extra is silly.

This may come as a shock, but most unknown Steam games from unknown developers sell like shit. If they wanted to make the game a traditional 2D release, that was their prerogative, best of luck to them. Seizing on the VR niche is not an expense. It is a hungry captive audience that is propelling would-be 1k, 3k, 5k unit games to 10k, 20k, 30k+ unit games. It's quite likely they will pick up the majority of their sales because of VR, in which case all your points are moot. The increased cost is offset by higher (than the alternative) sales and increased awareness that comes from swimming in a much smaller pond. They're hedging their bets and trying to have their cake and eat it to. The message you're sending is it's OK to tack an extra $10 on any game for VR support.

This may come as a shock, but most unknown Steam games from unknown developers sell like shit. If they wanted to make the game a traditional 2D release, that was their prerogative, best of luck to them. Seizing on the VR niche is an advantage unto itself--a hungry captive audience. It's likely they will pick up the majority of their sales because of VR. They're hedging their bets and trying to have their cake and eat it to. The message you're sending is it's OK to tack an extra $10 on any game for VR support.

The point I"m trying to make is that is IS okay to tack an extra $10 on to a game for considered and well-implemented VR support. If said support isn't well implemented, no one should pay the extra $10.

There's a reason that relatively simple games such as Holopoint and audioshield are selling for such high prices on Steam—VR is a smaller market and it costs extra money. I suppose The Assembly could just charge non-VR players the same high amount, but quite frankly this seems like a better solution. Why should everyone else need to subsidize development of an expensive and time consuming feature only a portion of the audience will actually use.

Again, if you don't think the VR version is worth $30, don't pay $30. I certainly am not going to pay that much due to the lack of motion controls. But not paying $30 because there's a cheaper non-VR version available is silly.

Zalusithix

I tried VR for the first time today on my Vive. Holy shit.

The first time in VR is certainly a magical moment. The fact that you get tracked controllers to experience with the Vive makes it even better.

I mean it's still great and all dozens of hours down the line, but nothing beats those first moments from a pure awe standpoint.

cakefoo

I just got pranked by VR. I knelt down next to the Vive gear and put the headset on. One of the controllers started to float away. *sigh* I reached up in the air dammit!

finally got around to trying hover junkers today.

holy shit that game is fucking awesome. thats what I wanted out of VR. Now I just need something more single player in that style

Zalusithix

finally got around to trying hover junkers today.

holy shit that game is fucking awesome. thats what I wanted out of VR. Now I just need something more single player in that style

I should be ashamed of how little time I've put into HJ. I supported it back in the crowdfunding stage, and was looking forward to it for when I eventually got my Vive. Yet here I am with only 37 minutes logged in the target range. It seems I always end up getting side tracked with something else. Heck, I have eight times that logged just messing around in H3VR. (Speaking of H3VR, bolt action rifles in VR are so satisfying.)

Same sort of thing goes for Budget Cuts. Perhaps it's because I watched so many play-throughs before I could play it myself, but I've never actually gotten around to going through the whole demo.

What all did you play/experience?

I played The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer, and Fruit Ninja VR. Roomscale VR is the shit.

Also, I'm planning on getting a AAA VR game from the Oculus store. Between Edge of Nowhere, Chronos, and The Climb, which one should I get? I don't wanna buy all of them since they're fairly expensive.

Neverfade

This thing is pretty awesome, but does anyone have any tips to reduce blurriness? I've messed with the pupil distance and lens to eye distance non stop and just can't get it crisp.

Played a bit of Orbital Strike: Arena which came out today and it's pretty cool so far. It's basically Battle Dome but set up like a MOBA with creeps and structures
and prettier

I played The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer, and Fruit Ninja VR. Roomscale VR is the shit.

Also, I'm planning on getting a AAA VR game from the Oculus store. Between Edge of Nowhere, Chronos, and The Climb, which one should I get? I don't wanna buy all of them since they're fairly expensive.

Get Chronos and/or Edge of Nowhere. The Climb is going to come out later for Vive (and will get Touch support as well when that comes out).

Played a bit of Orbital Strike: Arena which came out today and it's pretty cool so far. It's basically Battle Dome but set up like a MOBA with creeps and structures
and prettier

Get Chronos and/or Edge of Nowhere. The Climb is going to come out later for Vive (and will get Touch support as well when that comes out).

Edge of Nowhere seems like a bit of a turd based on the reviews. You played it?

Zalusithix

This thing is pretty awesome, but does anyone have any tips to reduce blurriness? I've messed with the pupil distance and lens to eye distance non stop and just can't get it crisp.

Are we talking edge of lens blurry or everything blurry? The edge of the lens will always be somewhat, but the center should be tack sharp. If the center isn't sharp, try adjusting the vertical position of the headset on your head. You might have it too low (or high).

Also, do you wear glasses? If yes, and you're not using them in VR, that could be the issue.

Durante

No glasses. I'll fire it up again and check the vertical positioning as even the center is a bit blurrier than I expected it to be.
You should test for these things in a game which inherently has good IQ like the Lab, or in the SteamVR space after setting up supersampling, so that you can make sure that what you are seeing are the HW capabilities and not a SW issue.

Also make sure to set up the IPD correctly rather than just messing with it ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You should test for these things in a game which inherently has good IQ like the Lab, or in the SteamVR space after setting up supersampling, so that you can make sure that what you are seeing are the HW capabilities and not a SW issue.

Also make sure to set up the IPD correctly rather than just messing with it ;)

I can barely tell any difference when fiddling with the IPD from one extreme to another. Is there a good way to calibrate it - eg looking at a distant/close object? I did my IPD roughly in a mirror and have it set to that

Paganmoon

I can barely tell any difference when fiddling with the IPD from one extreme to another. Is there a good way to calibrate it - eg looking at a distant/close object? I did my IPD roughly in a mirror and have it set to that

I see no difference either, but I calculated my IPD with a ruler in front of a mirror, and just set it at that.

Knch

I've used the following tool to set up IPD, seems to work quite well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4g7ggi/ipd_and_vive_placement_test_app/

Found this through to following tip collection on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gubq7/modding_the_vive_is_important/

I tried some more games. Roomscale VR is the future. I'm absolutely blown away, fam.

Can I get an AMEN Brother!

XLairk.gif

The first time in VR is certainly a magical moment. The fact that you get tracked controllers to experience with the Vive makes it even better.

I mean it's still great and all dozens of hours down the line, but nothing beats those first moments from a pure awe standpoint.

I was speechless when I started exploring The Lab for the first time.

Zalusithix

How much a difference the IPD setting will make for clarity is dependent on your actual IPD. If you're average, then all the way one way or the other is only offset half of the travel range and your eye is not too far from the center of the lens. If you're on the extremes of the adjustable range, then moving all the way to the other side will put your eye further off from center, and thus impact clarity more. Despite having a relatively large noggin, I'm all the way to the minimum for the IPD setting. The image visibly suffers if I move it all the way to the max.

IPD isn't just a clarity thing though. It adjusts the relative distance of the actual left and right image feeds. Having the wrong IPD setting can cause varying levels of strain on your visual system as it tries to interpret data which is off.

Was this actually confirmed? Do you happen to remember the source?

Not confirmed, but I think it will happen. It's not an Oculus Studio game, it's published by Crytek, and the language they used in press before release was stuff like "Launching exclusively on Oculus Home" as opposed to "Exclusive to Oculus Home". I'm betting they just have an exclusivity window ala EVE: Valkyrie.

Either way, I'd wait until it gets at least Touch support before I'd play it.

Leatherface

So I did a little more headphone research and ended up getting scared off by the potential latency issues surrounding bluetooth headphones, so I ended up going with a pair of Playstation Gold wireless, which were on sale on Prime Day for like 50% off. These are not bluetooth so latency shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they do the trick. Anyone use these? If so what's your opinion?

playstation.jpg

So I did a little more headphone research and ended up getting scared off by the potential latency issues surrounding bluetooth headphones, so I ended up going with a pair of Playstation Gold wireless, which were on sale on Prime Day for like 50% off. These are not bluetooth so latency shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they do the trick. Anyone use these? If so what's your opinion?

playstation.jpg

I have those. I really like them. I use them with a short 30cm 3.5 jack lead.
You can use them wireless with a reciever, but i figured wired would be better.
As a bonus, they work great with ps4 if you have one. I have found that the sound coming from ps4 is better than the PC , but thats probably something to do with some of the sound presets they have on that console.
Don't get me wrong they sound great through the PC as well. background noise is cut out brilliantly as well, even at low volumes ( can never here my mrs call me ;-)).

As good as they are, I couldn't resist backing the Ossic X Kickstarter. The thought of 360 degree sound with the Vive is getting me excited!

Nvidia has figured out the 1080/displayport/Vive issue, and are releasing a fix this week apparently: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/949984/htc-vive/htc-vive-and-dp/

Will be nice to not crawl under my desk to switch between projector and VR use :p

i'm just looking forward to not have to crawl under my desk to switch out my rift and vive.

there shouldn't be any issues with having both plugged in at once, right? DVI to monitor, DP to vive, and HDMI to rift?

Durante

Personally I see a significant difference by
1) Enabling supersampling (say factor 2)
2) Opening a website with text in a browser on the SteamVR desktop view
3) Rotating my head around the Y axis while looking at it

... that sounds more complicated than it is, I swear. With a bad IPD setting I get both blurriness and some "shimmering"/displacement/unnatural geometry on the virtual screen in this test.

i'm just looking forward to not have to crawl under my desk to switch out my rift and vive.

there shouldn't be any issues with having both plugged in at once, right? DVI to monitor, DP to vive, and HDMI to rift?
I haven't tried it since shortly after my Vive arrived, but back then it was working :p

Yeah, this is what I use. I've never had any problems using them wirelessly and they feel and sound great. The only issue I've had is that they don't sit quite as tight as some other headsets so there have been a couple times when I'm looking up really high and they'll fall off the back of my head. That's pretty rare though.

Leatherface

I have those. I really like them. I use them with a short 30cm 3.5 jack lead.
You can use them wireless with a reciever, but i figured wired would be better.
As a bonus, they work great with ps4 if you have one. I have found that the sound coming from ps4 is better than the PC , but thats probably something to do with some of the sound presets they have on that console.
Don't get me wrong they sound great through the PC as well. background noise is cut out brilliantly as well, even at low volumes ( can never here my mrs call me ;-)).

As good as they are, I couldn't resist backing the Ossic X Kickstarter. The thought of 360 degree sound with the Vive is getting me excited!

Thanks for the info. Yeah those headphones look awesome! That is a good chunk of change though or I'd be in. You'll have to let us know how they sound when you get them.

As far as the Playstation headphones, I do in fact have a PS4 so the dual use will be nice. From what I read, the 7.1 surround thing is simulated and only works on the PS4, other than that they are supposed to work just as well wireless as wired. Windows should detect the USB dongle right away and install.

Yeah, this is what I use. I've never had any problems using them wirelessly and they feel and sound great. The only issue I've had is that they don't sit quite as tight as some other headsets so there have been a couple times when I'm looking up really high and they'll fall off the back of my head. That's pretty rare though.

Interesting. That's something to keep in mind anyway. If worse comes to worse I will just grab a monoprice wired headset with a removable cord and attach a short one.

SimplexPL

Doesn't the vive already have 360 degree sound? I mean isn't that "built in" the games?
It must be, since I can hear where the objects appear in Holopoint, or where the baddies are shooting in Space Pirate Trainer. How are those Ossic headphone further enhancing VR experience?

Durante

I just saw that Raw Data is supposed to have its early access release tomorrow. I'm really hyped for coop in that -- has there been any recent indication that they will actually make that release date?

Edit: I just saw in their early access FAQ that the initial release won't have online co-op. Stop the hype!

Zalusithix

Edit: I just saw in their early access FAQ that the initial release won't have online co-op. Stop the hype!

Screw that, I'm still hyped.

Granted, I probably wont be playing it tomorrow as my aging PC will be down for the last major upgrade it'll ever see (migration to hexacore and 48GB RAM). Then I'll have to move on from the X58 platform. Hopefully 2017 is more interesting on the CPU side of things. Thoroughly disappointed with what 2016 has offered so far.

I just saw that Raw Data is supposed to have its early access release tomorrow. I'm really hyped for coop in that -- has there been any recent indication that they will actually make that release date?

Definitely coming. They just put out a Hero Spotlight for the Gun Cleric for the build up:

I imagine they'll do the Cyber Ninja tomorrow.

GET HYPE!

Wallach

I wonder how up to date that is. On the Steam page it says the first iteration of EA is their "media showcase" build, which was the one with just the first mission and a bunch of different weapons. The blog says the first EA version is the newer one with 2 different characters and 4 missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom