• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

//DEVIL//

So even though i was one of those few who didnt want to buy one because of the price. I was able to get my hands on one that is used less than 3 hours total ( owner showed me his steam account) for less than 650$ and i had to check the screen too from dead pixels or anything stupid like that and its perfect so i made the purchase.

Pain in the ass set up . I put a vita and other stupid shit to hold the 2 black transmitters . But fibally managed amto get it working and i am inpressed. Very few times i said woah and i am still doing balloons like an idiot or shooting laser lol .

I have a few questions I Would like to ask

1- what is the best graphically action team that I can buy . Preferably first person shooter game
2- what games do you guys recommend
3-what free videos do you guys recommend I want something like that roller coaster demo
4- is there a cover for the controllers ?

Sure, good positional sound in VR is 99% software. (And then you just need decent stereo headphones to actually produce it)

Doesn't the vive already have 360 degree sound? I mean isn't that "built in" the games?
It must be, since I can hear where the objects appear in Holopoint, or where the baddies are shooting in Space Pirate Trainer. How are those Ossic headphone further enhancing VR experience?

Is that right?I know I get directional sound from my existing stereo headphones. I thought these headphones added an extra "dimension". 3D!! Sound!!

Am I just a sucker for a good sales pitch? The guy from THX sold me!

Is that right?I know I get directional sound from my existing stereo headphones. I thought these headphones added an extra "dimension". 3D!! Sound!!

Am I just a sucker for a good sales pitch? The guy from THX sold me!

Depends. When you say "3D Sound", does that mean they're binaural, or are they like 5.1 surround sound headphones?

EDIT: OOPS! 2x post. Meant to edit this in.

Zalusithix

Depends. When you say "3D Sound", does that mean they're binaural, or are they like 5.1 surround sound headphones?

EDIT: OOPS! 2x post. Meant to edit this in.

They're multidriver, but not as simple as the usual suspects. They have (limited) head tracking and built in HRTF functionality. I can see them being great for movie watching or music from a theoretical standpoint (assuming quality is up to snuff), but I can't see how they add much, if anything to the VR picture. Due to the tracked headset, all audio for VR can already be localized to exactly where it should be at any point in time, and the HRTF can be done on the computer.

Basically they're needlessly complex for VR applications, and I think it's mostly marketing to position them as being good for VR.

They're multidriver, but not as simple as the usual suspects. They have (limited) head tracking and built in HRTF functionality. I can see them being great for movie watching or music from a theoretical standpoint (assuming quality is up to snuff), but I can't see how they add much, if anything to the VR picture. Due to the tracked headset, all audio for VR can already be localized to exactly where it should be at any point in time, and the HRTF can be done on the computer.

Basically they're needlessly complex for VR applications, and I think it's mostly marketing to position them as being good for VR.

Ah those. Yeah it's pretty pointless for VR since the positional stuff is already being handled. I can see how they'd be interesting for something like a concert or soundscape though. But yeah, it brings nothing to VR.

I do like to watch a movie or two, and do love my music. I also lack some *quality* headphones (even though I like my Sony ps4 ones). So I don't feel like I've wasted my money, but man was I suckered into the VR applications of the headphones ,with the marketing.

Still look like a lovely set of cans though..

Business

Wow. Just set this up and I'm impressed. This is on a whole different level than DK2. Yes it still has screendoor effect, chromatic aberration on the edges and some noticeable effect as if there's circles on the lenses but boy room scale is the real deal. Very excited and I still only tried a few things on the lab.

Has the game really improved since the demo? I tried it when I got my Vive back in may and it really didn't seem like anything special.

The demo was just a snapshot of development at the time and has never been updated. It was actually out of date by the time it went up actually. My biggest complaint from the demo was the inventory and, you can see in that trailer, it's totally different now. I'd imagine there are a lot of improvements since it originally went up in April.

jaypah

The demo was just a snapshot of development at the time and has never been updated. It was actually out of date by the time it went up actually. My biggest complaint from the demo was the inventory and, you can see in that trailer, it's totally different now. I'd imagine there are a lot of improvements since it originally went up in April.

That demo ran like shit for me, which confused me as it didn't seem graphically complex. The game itself was fun though.

SomTervo

Does Raw Data actually have progression through a space? Or is it a stand-still-wave-based kind of thing?

I'm gagging for an FPS that has you actually adventure somewhere. Even something simple like Wolfenstein: TNO would be amazing with minor roomscale/standscale. Imagine even teleporting through trenches, covering behind boxes, peeking out and shooting fools. Would be sick af.

Does Raw Data actually have progression through a space? Or is it a stand-still-wave-based kind of thing?

I'm gagging for an FPS that has you actually adventure somewhere. Even something simple like Wolfenstein: TNO would be amazing with minor roomscale/standscale. Imagine even teleporting through trenches, covering behind boxes, peeking out and shooting fools. Would be sick af.

I believe the stand in one spot level they've been showing since reveal is still there, but now it also has a "Defend the base" mode where you can move around the arena and place turrets etc.

DJ88

Has anyone been able to successfully pair their iPhone to the Vive while also being paired to an Apple Watch?

I downloaded the bluetooth driver in the Vive settings, downloaded the app, and started pairing the phone through Vive Home.

It always finds my phone and has a check mark next to it, but a spinning loading circle that never goes further. On my phone all I'm seeing is a device called music receiver showing up. I'm wondering if being paired with an Apple Watch is what's messing it up.

If anyone's been able to have the two paired simultaneously, any ideas what I could try here?

Neverfade

1) The internet says that theres an option in Steam VR settings to put the lighthouses in a stanby mode when not in use but there's no checkbox where I'm being guided to. Any help?
Edit: Found the answer to this one myself! Had to activate Bluetooth.

2) I came home and went move my gear and even with the headset definitely off, and SteamVR definitely not running on my PC, the front of it was super warm. Anyone know what gives here?

MaDKaT

Finally got my 1080 installed and set up revive. Tried playing Dirt Rally and I, dissapointingly, find it quite uncomfortable. Doesnt matter if settings are low, medium, or high. So i have questions. How do I decipher the steam vr frame timer? Far as I can tell, I only drop frames here and there while flipping through menu screens and the graph seems to track similar to something like the blu which runs buttery smooth now. Am i only concerned about red bars? Is there a way to get a frame counter in the headset? Am I getting vsynced to my monitors refresh through revive? The In game menu doesnt let me set native res to the headset or force 90hz. Not sure if that is set through the oculus support patch or not. Really hoping I'm just missing something I need to set. Will try Assetto Corsa after the nausea subsides.

I have to say I was not expecting the SteamVR experience to be this seamless, accurate, and most of all, fun. It's quite commendable what Valve and HTC have achieved, really.

TheRed

Finally got my 1080 installed and set up revive. Tried playing Dirt Rally and I, dissapointingly, find it quite uncomfortable. Doesnt matter if settings are low, medium, or high. So i have questions. How do I decipher the steam vr frame timer? Far as I can tell, I only drop frames here and there while flipping through menu screens and the graph seems to track similar to something like the blu which runs buttery smooth now. Am i only concerned about red bars? Is there a way to get a frame counter in the headset? Am I getting vsynced to my monitors refresh through revive? The In game menu doesnt let me set native res to the headset or force 90hz. Not sure if that is set through the oculus support patch or not. Really hoping I'm just missing something I need to set. Will try Assetto Corsa after the nausea subsides.

I'm scared to try more racing games after my horrible experience with PCars, I'm on a 1080 too. I hope you get it solved, I really wanna play Dirt Rally VR too.

MaDKaT

I'm scared to try more racing games after my horrible experience with PCars, I'm on a 1080 too. I hope you get it solved, I really wanna play Dirt Rally VR too.

Yeah, held off on them until I got the new card since my old card just couldn't run them. Remember feeling nausea with a friends dk1 bUT it didnt come on nearly this fast, or as strongly, and his system was certainly dropping frames then. Trying Dirt, I could barely complete a section in a couple locations.

Upcoming Vive games: Serious Sam VR, Raw Data, Assembly Line. Anything else?

I know it gets dogged on a lot but I'm really excited for Fallout 4.

I've only ever played the console version, I didn't beat it as I knew I was going to build a PC and wanted to invest my time in the game on that. I haven't gotten it on PC yet, been waiting for the game of the year edition or VR support, whichever comes first.

By that time hopefully most of the bugs have been Ironed out and my 1080 will be able to handle it well enough.

I played Windlands. My head is spinning.

Oh, man. That game will do it. Just take it easy and sip on some genuine ginger ale/juice, chew on some ginger root or if you can find some ginger essential oil, put a drop in a teaspoon of honey and swallow it as that would be the best. Then just take it easy for a while and don't get back in VR for at least a couple hours.

Some people will tell you that you will grow VR legs for really intense (what I would like to call poor VR design or just not designed for VR in the first place) games eventually but that isn't necessarily true. Some people can and then some people just never will but if you love VR then it doesn't hurt to try. Just never compound the situation by pushing yourself too soon as that will cause you to psychologically connect VR with being sick as well as possibly just the smell of the HMD itself. Know your limits and really pay attention and try to gauge if you are actually gaining a resistance to motion sickness.

As for me, not one properly designed roomscale game on the Vive has ever given me motion sickness. I am content just waiting for those kinds of games and not ever repeating my experience with motion sickness from trying a seated non roomscale non cockpit game. Ever. lol.

Oh, man. That game will do it. Just take it easy and sip on some genuine ginger ale/juice, chew on some ginger root or if you can find some ginger essential oil, put a drop in a teaspoon of honey and swallow it as that would be the best. Then just take it easy for a while and don't get back in VR for at least a couple hours.

Some people will tell you that you will grow VR legs for really intense (what I would like to call poor VR design or just not designed for VR in the first place) games eventually but that isn't necessarily true. Some people can and then some people just never will but if you love VR then it doesn't hurt to try. Just never compound the situation by pushing yourself too soon as that will cause you to psychologically connect VR with being sick as well as possibly just the smell of the HMD itself. Know your limits and really pay attention and try to gauge if you are actually gaining a resistance to motion sickness.

As for me, not one properly designed roomscale game on the Vive has ever given me motion sickness. I am content just waiting for those kinds of games and not ever repeating my experience with motion sickness from trying a seated non roomscale non cockpit game. Ever. lol.

Thanks for the advice, man! While I enjoyed Wildlands, I think I'll only play it in short bursts. I just tried Cubicle and had my mind blown away. Can't wait for Assembly Line, Serious Sam, and Raw Data!

TheJerit

I don't even need visuals as complex as PCARS. Give me something like Daytona.

I just want a great performing, fun racer.

Mario Kart : Double Dash via Dolphin VR was more fun than I had imagined. Haven't tried F-Zero or anything else yet.

I've really enjoyed my time with PCars so far as well. It DEF needs more optimization, but I'm grateful for not being affected with motion/VR sickness very easily. Hopefully the game continues to improve on that front as time goes on.

Edit: I just saw in their early access FAQ that the initial release won't have online co-op. Stop the hype!
Thanks for the warning! Steam product page says "Online coop". I think that's misleading.

To follow up on this:

Should be unlocking at 11am PST tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blasters of the Universe drops tomorrow too. It looks pretty cool. They're taking a SHMUP/Bullet Hell approach to the wave shooter.

ikRHJLk.gif

SUe25gr.gif

TheRed

Is Gpu usage supposed to report really low in Afterburner while in VR? Because I'm getting frustrated with it staying only around 30% usage and the game makes me nauseous. Was trying Dirt Rally VR and it was a better experience than PCARS for me but still not what I expected to get out of my 1080. As soon as I get into a race it locks to 45 fps reprojection, which doesn't feel too great. There is just no way my 1080 can't handle the VR headset at 90 fps at medium settings, I mean damn I was just playing the same exact game at 4k 60 fps all Ultra settings so my card works just fine. It's just in these VR racing games so far that the experience is miserable, same exact thing happens to me in PCARS. So I tried turning off reprojection thinking it could be like vsync and now it'll unleash my card to run at like 90% usage and an easy 90 fps! But no it still runs at just around 30% and the framerate only was around 60 which still feels bad but better than the 45 reprojection in my opinion as long as I don't turn my head much.

I just want to figure out what's causing this because obviously something's wrong here , I feel like if I put my 970 back I might get a better experience. CPU bottleneck may be a factor in some things but with an i5 4670k @4.1 I don't think it should be causing this at all. If my PC with this CPU and a 1080 can't handle this that would be crazy.

Durante

I haven't played Dirt Rally and PCars but that sounds more like a problem with them rather than a general VR one.
I get the expected GPU usage in the VR games where I checked. Of course, if a game can't maintain 90 FPS and drops to reprojection, GPU usage will also drop. And it will never be at the close to 100% levels that you see in 2D games with unlocked framerate, since the frame target is set and games need to leave some space for unexpected spikes.

I just tried Waltz of the Wizard and my 1080 sits at ~70-80% usage in that.

To follow up on this:

Should be unlocking at 11am PST tomorrow.
Hype restored!

So I played Cubicle. What. An Experience. I wish I could play more on my Vive, but this weather is aggravating my eye allergies this summer, so it's hard to play for long periods of time. :(

Does anyone know how to get the optimal IPD value?

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Raw Data was the best thing I saw at GDC. I spent the rest of the show sending people to their booth to check it out. I can't wait to see all your impressions when you guys play it and see how great it is. Hell I can't wait to see how much has changed between then and now.

Zalusithix

Pfft, webcams and printout rulers. Real men use a set of calipers in front of a mirror while being careful to not stab themselves in the eye. ;P (Didn't feel like calling for my official records at the time.)

Helznicht

1- what is the best graphically action team that I can buy . Preferably first person shooter game
Probably Raw Data that drops today on Steam. Space Pirate Trainer after that. Onward is supposed t be out this month also. Its kinda limited on the FPS front at the moment, unless you count bow n' arrow games, in which case the LAB is fine for me. There are some other "Shooting Range/Gun Sim" games out there but not my cup of tea.

2- what games do you guys recommend
Elite Dangerous (with Hotas)
Dirt Rally (with wheel)
SPT
Vanishing Realms (Early)
Thrill of the Fight (Early)
LAB (free)
Rec Room (Free)

3-what free videos do you guys recommend I want something like that roller coaster demo
get a site downloader like "4k video downloader", search youtube for 4k 360 SBS, and go nuts!

4- is there a cover for the controllers ?
Not that I am aware of, not officially anyways.

Yes. There is teleport locomotion in the base defense, moba mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN7l45bwS18

SomTervo

I played Windlands. My head is spinning.

Take it very slowly. I got used to it quickly, but you need to recognise in the back of your mind when its starting to get to you, and stop/look around for a bit.

Funnily enough I find swinging and jumping fine, it's the running that messes you up. You do get used to it, though. I sort of imagine I'm on a rollercoaster, and I crouch and straighten my legs when appropriate, and it helps a lot.

Awesome game. Surprisingly hard.

I believe the stand in one spot level they've been showing since reveal is still there, but now it also has a "Defend the base" mode where you can move around the arena and place turrets etc.

Yes. There is teleport locomotion in the base defense, moba mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN7l45bwS18

Nyehh. I think I'll leave it. Want a proper FPS adventure rather than wave-based shooter.

Nyehh. I think I'll leave it. Want a proper FPS adventure rather than wave-based shooter.

Understandable, but I think you'll be missing out by passing on this one. People have been raving about it since before the Vive launched. As much as I hate the concept of "killer app", this is likely one of the bigger candidates for VR. But yeah, wait for more impressions when it drops today.

Ah man. So much out today.

SimplexPL

The hardware requirements for Nvidia VR Funhouse are epic:

Low Quality
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti, TITAN X, 1060 or 1070
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790

Medium Quality
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930

High Quality
GPU: A single Geforce GTX 1080, or a 2-Way GeForce GTX 1070, TITAN X or 980 Ti SLI setup
GPU PhysX: Also requires a GeForce GTX 980 Ti, or greater, to be dedicated as a PhysX GPU in the NVIDIA Control Panel

"GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti, TITAN X, 1060 or 1070" - since 1060 is much slower than 980Ti it would suggest that it will use SMP.

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
DAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Too bad after work I'm going to my GF's to pick up my new lens and will likely be focused on trying that out but RAW DATA COMES OUT TODAY WHOO!

Low Quality
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti, TITAN X, 1060 or 1070
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790

Medium Quality
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

High Quality
GPU: A single Geforce GTX 1080, or a 2-Way GeForce GTX 1070, TITAN X or 980 Ti SLI setup
GPU PhysX: Also requires a GeForce GTX 980 Ti, or greater, to be dedicated as a PhysX GPU in the NVIDIA Control Panel

I'm confused. So a 1080 can get you Medium or High quality, depending on how hard you believe?

SomTervo

Understandable, but I think you'll be missing out by passing on this one. People have been raving about it since before the Vive launched. As much as I hate the concept of "killer app", this is likely one of the bigger candidates for VR. But yeah, wait for more impressions when it drops today.

Yeah when I googled it there were loads of articles like 'this thing is the tits'.

I am tempted. Will have a look after work. Have plenty to play already, though, on and off VR!

Intel Core i7-4790

Hey, how does my i5 4690k compare to this? I'm @3.5GHz. It seems pretty much comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom