• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

The hardware requirements for Nvidia VR Funhouse are epic:

Low Quality
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti, TITAN X, 1060 or 1070
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790

Medium Quality
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930

High Quality
GPU: A single Geforce GTX 1080, or a 2-Way GeForce GTX 1070, TITAN X or 980 Ti SLI setup
GPU PhysX: Also requires a GeForce GTX 980 Ti, or greater, to be dedicated as a PhysX GPU in the NVIDIA Control Panel
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930

"GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti, TITAN X, 1060 or 1070" - since 1060 is much slower than 980Ti it would suggest that it will use SMP.
Interestingly at Medium and High, the CPU req changes to a hexacore processor. Guessing they're doing more physics or something at that setting. Wonder how much it's really needed though as most gaming rigs aren't more than quadcore.

Edit: Unrelated, but speaking of hexacore processors... As the day progresses I get more anxious about tonight's coming upgrade. Hoping my in situ mobo modification pans out like it should. They were some of the smallest solder bridges I've made in my life, and doing it while the motherboard was still in the case was interesting to say the least. (Full disassembly and reassembly of the PC's internals would have added an entire additional night to the process.)

TheRed

I haven't played Dirt Rally and PCars but that sounds more like a problem with them rather than a general VR one.
I get the expected GPU usage in the VR games where I checked. Of course, if a game can't maintain 90 FPS and drops to reprojection, GPU usage will also drop. And it will never be at the close to 100% levels that you see in 2D games with unlocked framerate, since the frame target is set and games need to leave some space for unexpected spikes.

I just tried Waltz of the Wizard and my 1080 sits at ~70-80% usage in that.

Hype restored!
Thanks, I understood that reprojection limiting the fps would make usage low so that's why I thought disabling reprojection would at least let it push harder but no the game just isn't utilizing more than 40% at all. Even when lowering settings to medium and low in PCars I can't get a smooth experience and that just shouldn't happen with a 1080.

I think you're right with it being a problem with the game so I hope it gets ironed out. I tried DDU to completely wipe my drivers and then reinstall 3 times. So it just has to be the games problem considering everything else I play runs great. I gotta try more VR stuff today to make sure. It just sucks since I really wanted to be playing PCars and Dirt Rally in VR.

MaDKaT

Thanks, I understood that reprojection limiting the fps would make usage low so that's why I thought disabling reprojection would at least let it push harder but no the game just isn't utilizing more than 40% at all. Even when lowering settings to medium and low in PCars I can't get a smooth experience and that just shouldn't happen with a 1080.

I think you're right with it being a problem with the game so I hope it gets ironed out. I tried DDU to completely wipe my drivers and then reinstall 3 times. So it just has to be the games problem considering everything else I play runs great. I gotta try more VR stuff today to make sure. It just sucks since I really wanted to be playing PCars and Dirt Rally in VR.

Good to see it could be an issue with the game. Tried Assetto Corsa, not long after and honestly had a similar feeling of nausea but could be I was still ill from really trying Dirt Rally. Felt ill for several hours, pretty damn crazy. I will need to do a lot more testing/monitoring.

Separate question, those with House of the Dying Sun, anybody know what could cause the game to flash back to my VR launch room repeatedly? Pretty sure it isnt my system but specs anyway.

System
OC'd i5 6600k
GTX 1080
32GB DDR4

Zaptruder

Banned
Understandable, but I think you'll be missing out by passing on this one. People have been raving about it since before the Vive launched. As much as I hate the concept of "killer app", this is likely one of the bigger candidates for VR. But yeah, wait for more impressions when it drops today.

Ah man. So much out today.

I think Raw Data will be close to a killer app... but I agree with SomTervo in the sense that a proper FPS with freedom of movement and exploration and action that justifies motion controls will be the real killer app for VR.

I mean SomTervo is working for a small gaming company that has achieved most of that (VR implementation is a bit weak, and it's not a shooter, but it is highly immersive nonetheless).

Durante

I believe that flashing back to the VR environment happens when the game doesn't supply new frames to the compositor for a prolonged (well, in VR terms) period of time.

MaDKaT

I believe that flashing back to the VR environment happens when the game doesn't supply new frames to the compositor for a prolonged (well, in VR terms) period of time.

Booo. Guess I have some more debugging to do. Ill uninstall everything and start clean. GPU upgrade just isnt going as smoothly as I would have liked for the VIve. Hope Nvidia does something for the display port issue soon.

Downloading the latest Nvidia drivers now. It's cool to see Raw Data listed as one of the Game Ready titles. I'm excited to try out the VR Funhouse later, even though I will have to do it on Low Quality since I have a single 980 Ti.

Paganmoon

lots of games also go back to your SteamVR environment during loading (they don't have their own loading screens probably), this isn't what's happening for you MaDKaT?

MaDKaT

lots of games also go back to your SteamVR environment during loading (they don't have their own loading screens probably), this isn't what's happening for you MaDKaT?

Yeah, Ive seen some games flash as its loading. This is different and is flashing my VR launch pad while in the overview where you can navigate missions, even when Im just sitting there not entering commands. Seems to stabilize after I get into the ship but gets super flaky again in the overworld.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anybody with the required hardware torture their machine yet? =P

I'm hoping someone that bought a 1080 might still have a 980ti lying around that they haven't sold on yet. Not sure about the hexacore CPU though..

I wonder if a quad core i7 + single 1080 will drop down to low detail, considering medium seems to want a hexacore? Looking forward to Durante's impressions though :)

Durante

And I thought I was high-end now with my 1080, how naive.

Anyway, I'll give it a try. Also want to try displayport on the Vive again, since it should be fixed now.

So according to reddit, if you try to run VR funhouse on an AMD card, it will give an "unsupported GPU detected" error and then quit.

That's pretty crap. I mean, I never actually expected it to run well on AMD cards, but outright blocking them? Kinda of reminiscent of what Oculus stopped doing...

Exuro

So, any impressions of the actual gameplay? We already know the visuals are quite good, but is the game?
It's something you play once or twice and then never again. Just went through it and it was "neat". Has a few carnival minigames you can play. There's not much to it. Just went through each mini game twice. It's more like an interactive tech demo than a game.

Onemic

So, any impressions of the actual gameplay? We already know the visuals are quite good, but is the game?

Has always been possible to dedicate one nVidia card to PhysX while using another as the main card. You just can't do SLI.

Oh, I thought PhysX was enabled on single cards. Didnt know you had to get another Nvidia card to enable it...

Oh, I thought PhysX was enabled on single cards. Didnt know you had to get another Nvidia card to enable it...

It IS enabled on single cards. However, you can also dedicate a second card entirely to PhysX, which both gives PhysX more resources and frees up resources of the main GPU.

//DEVIL//

Probably Raw Data that drops today on Steam. Space Pirate Trainer after that. Onward is supposed t be out this month also. Its kinda limited on the FPS front at the moment, unless you count bow n' arrow games, in which case the LAB is fine for me. There are some other "Shooting Range/Gun Sim" games out there but not my cup of tea.

Elite Dangerous (with Hotas)
Dirt Rally (with wheel)
SPT
Vanishing Realms (Early)
Thrill of the Fight (Early)
LAB (free)
Rec Room (Free)

get a site downloader like "4k video downloader", search youtube for 4k 360 SBS, and go nuts!

Not that I am aware of, not officially anyways.

thanks for the reply and a quick question regarding your answer. say I downloaded a 360 video from youtube or whatever. how can I exactly play them on my vive through steam ? if so how do I add them ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks for the reply and a quick question regarding your answer. say I downloaded a 360 video from youtube or whatever. how can I exactly play them on my vive through steam ? if so how do I add them ?

you need a 360 video player. Virtual desktop does but it is $15-ish. Whirligig recently got updated but I haven't tried that. Not sure if bigscreen supports 360 degree video?

TheRed

The NVIDIA funhouse was neat, not really fun to play more than a few times. I tried out High settings on my single GTX 1080 and it worked fine. Didn't notice any performance drop except for in the FLEX goo physics one when balloons burst which was completely smooth on medium. Every other carnival game felt completely fine to me at high settings.

//DEVIL//

you need a 360 video player. Virtual desktop does but it is $15-ish. Whirligig recently got updated but I haven't tried that. Not sure if bigscreen supports 360 degree video?

yeah I just looked it up. kinda expensive for video player. I remember OC VR DK2 I used to watch stuff for free what the hell man lol

Edit: watched the video of the app.. impressive. maybe I should buy it .

Is it even worth doing that? How many games even support PhysX?

A lot of game support PhysX, actually. It's usually not as intensive as what VR Funhouse is doing though.

I'm very much not an expert on this, but from what I understand the idea is that you get a cheap old card and dedicate that to PhysX, so that your main card will perform that much better.

(that isn't to say it's "worth it", but it's a thing people do)

Zalusithix

So according to reddit, if you try to run VR funhouse on an AMD card, it will give an "unsupported GPU detected" error and then quit.

That's pretty crap. I mean, I never actually expected it to run well on AMD cards, but outright blocking them? Kinda of reminiscent of what Oculus stopped doing...

What does it do with cards lower than the 980Ti? Considering there's only a few cards even in Nvidia's stable that they list there, they could possibly blacklist even their own.

Beyond that, it's a free demo made by Nvidia to promote Nvidia tech. Not a real game, nor a commercial product. It's not nearly as severe of an offense as what Oculus did. Certainly not ideal, but not on the same level.

Durante

Displayport -> Vive works perfectly now on my 1080.

And by perfectly I mean better than before -- previously I sometimes had troubles getting audio to work over DP, now it worked immediately (of course, it might fail later still, but I like to think positively).

Anyone tried Blasters of the Universe yet?
This looks so cool!!

Just played about 15-20 minutes of it and it's pretty cool so far. They give you an insane amount of customization for your gun before you drop in to the game. You get to choose between frames (rifle, pistol, heavy), muzzle type, ammo type, magazine type, and modifier class. Each of which have around 3 different stats that vary along with special behaviors here and there. For example, there are varying levels of a spreadshot muzzle and the modifiers do differnt stuff like bounce your shots to the next enemy or give you a laser sight.

Graphics and art are pretty polished too. It's definitely hard. I haven't managed to get more than maybe 5 minutes in to the level yet. I'm not sure if there are more, but the way the menu is set up would suggest there is (though they also might not be in yet). Would definitely recommend at the sale price.

I'm surprised how little a hit high graphics in VR Funhouse had on my 980Ti. Definitely noticed the moving objects ghosting, but physically looking around was totally smooth and everything was still totally playable. Wonder if my CPU helped.

Something broke after installing the latest drivers, i get robotic audio and VR funhouse uses 50% of my 980ti and gets me around 45-55fps most of the time. : /

Raw Data should be live once they fix it just showing "Play Now" and not letting you install it. Seems someone couldn't quite decide what to price it at yet.

Zalusithix

I'm surprised how little a hit high graphics in VR Funhouse had on my 980Ti. Definitely noticed the moving objects ghosting, but physically looking around was totally smooth and everything was still totally playable. Wonder if my CPU helped.

Dunno, sounds like reprojection to me. Moving/animating objects are where you notice the reprojection artifacts the most, not static scenery as you move your head around. When I pumped the render target multiplier up for Audioshield, things were by and large fine when looking around the menu, but as soon as you looked at the controllers and started moving them around, the high contrast made the ghosting artifact super noticeable.

I should try Funhouse, finally some VR for my SLI setup xD

What's up with Raw Data's price? Seems a bit steep.

Well, I bought Raw Data. It's not cheap, but co-op VR is what I want to support most, and really compared to what I already spent on VR it's not so bad :p

Impressions later.

Bought it too. I though it was going to be 40 but it's actually 30, and as you said, VR coop is a priority.

Durante

Well, I bought Raw Data. It's not cheap, but co-op VR is what I want to support most, and really compared to what I already spent on VR it's not so bad :p

Impressions later.

Impressions later.

QqIJlbC.jpg

BUT I WANT IT NOWWWWWWWW

What does it do with cards lower than the 980Ti? Considering there's only a few cards even in Nvidia's stable that they list there, they could possibly blacklist even their own.

They appear to work, according to reddit. It's reportedly playable with a GTX 970 as well.

Only AMD cards (and Intel?) are outright blacklisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom