• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan

Wow, Raw Data runs like absolute shit on my 1080 on low settings unless I raise multirender to 2. Aliasing everywhere :/

On a 1080? Can you give more specifics on the settings you used? I'm rocking a 980ti and I wasn't expecting to need to dial it down that low. Do you have a CPU bottleneck or is it well established that this game isn't optimized?

jaypah

I hadn't played Pool Nation VR in a while so I loaded it up. I ran into a problem where there's an "object" being displayed pretty much right against my eyeballs if I set the quality to High or Ultra. It takes up the right half of my left lens and the left half of my right lens. Anybody know what the hell that's about?

Onemic

On a 1080? Can you give more specifics on the settings you used? I'm rocking a 980ti and I wasn't expecting to need to dial it down that low. Do you have a CPU bottleneck or is it well established that this game isn't optimized?

Restarted the game and its running a bit better, but its still not good imo. I have an i5-6600K for my CPU so it cant be bottlenecking the game and my 1080 is OC'd as well.

On low settings the game runs at 90FPS, setting it to medium or higher requires reprojection to be used. On Epic settings the game drops to 30FPS. If I crank multi-res to the highest setting, playing on epic is playable with reprojection and medium settings run at 90FPS. Super sampling isnt possible and tanks the framerate.

EDIT: I just noticed that my core clock is actually running way lower than it should for this game. 1595MHZ when running Raw Data....It should be running anywhere from 1950 to 2000MHZ normally. Reset the OC and now it's back to running at 2000MHZ. I'll test the framerate again, as it should run much better now.

pj

Banned
Restarted the game and its running a bit better, but its still not good imo. I have an i5-6600K for my CPU so it cant be bottlenecking the game and my 1080 is OC'd as well.

On low settings the game runs at 90FPS, setting it to medium or higher requires reprojection to be used. On Epic settings the game drops to 30FPS. If I crank multirender to the highest setting, playing on epic is playable with reprojection and medium settings run at 90FPS. Super sampling isnt possible and tanks the framerate.

EDIT: I just noticed that my core clock is actually running way lower than it should for this game. 1595MHZ when running Raw Data....It should be running anywhere from 1950 to 2000MHZ normally. Reset the OC and now it's back to running at 2000MHZ. I'll test the framerate again, as it should run much better now.

Did you update your drivers today? They just released a fix for 10x0 gpus not boosting properly in VR games

Onemic

Even with my core clock running at a constant 2000MHZ it doesnt change much. Only difference from my previous performance impressions is that medium settings with no multi-res causes FPS to range from 60-90FPS instead of being locked at 45FPS. So anything above low still requires reprojection, epic settings requires maxed out multi-res, and I cant super sample.

EDIT: Epic is actually unplayable even with multi-res set to 2. It drops below 45FPS often when the action starts to ramp up.

Did you update your drivers today? They just released a fix for 10x0 gpus not boosting properly in VR games

No I havent. Downloading the new drivers now. Though from what im seeing in afterburner my core clock is consistently at 2000MHZ now.

TheRed

This is the graph when playing Dirt Rally, I'm guessing it's pretty bad because it's not even a graph rather a big blob of purple.

27700249713_1d17df1213_c.jpg

Exuro

Raw Data in coop is sooo cool(and a lot easier). The social aspect of vr is so strange and awesome, being able to express with body language.

Had some funky bug though in the game. Sometimes in coop as the ninja chick the sword would not come back to me after I dropped it and I'd be stuck with just using my fists.

Zaptruder

Banned
@ Raw Data - YES THE GAME THAT VR DESERVES! THANK YOU SURVIOS!

Personal experience side notes: Started as the katana woman, forgot that you had to use grip button to pull out the katana... and got confused by the narrator/girl comms partner telling you that she was still unlocking weapon access.

So spent the first couple rounds punching down robot motherfuckers with my fists and ducking constantly.

Hah. Maybe one day I'll do a fist only run through.

Also wish that katana girl had two katanas. Having the other hand do nothing feels a bit meh!

@ Raw Data - YES THE GAME THAT VR DESERVES! THANK YOU SURVIOS!

Personal experience side notes: Started as the katana woman, forgot that you had to use grip button to pull out the katana... and got confused by the narrator/girl comms partner telling you that she was still unlocking weapon access.

So spent the first couple rounds punching down robot motherfuckers with my fists and ducking constantly.

Hah. Maybe one day I'll do a fist only run through.

Also wish that katana girl had two katanas. Having the other hand do nothing feels a bit meh!

You unlock some force push and pull powers later for the ninja girl. Also you can cut dudes while you're warping and feel like Genji from Overwatch!

Ionic

Raw Data is super cool. One weird thing though was while I was in the main room trying to figure stuff out somebody joined me. I don't know how it happened but I had a coop partner. It surprised me quite a bit so I quickly attempted to understand how starting a map worked and we had a grand time. The next time I tried to start a level he didn't get to come with me though. You were great though, sword lady.

Zaptruder

Banned
Fuck. Raw data is hard. Getting hammered on the second mission already. Difficult with both cleric and ninja.

Those red exploding bots are super annoying to deal with (and I'm not good with throwing the blade either).

Nvidia exclusive game? Scary.

Like Oculus exclusive isn't bad enough.

I'm not even sure whether or not you can start it with an AMD card, but considering the huge focus on PhysX and other Nvidia effects I doubt any AMD card right now would even be close to running it now.

And they said they would open source the game. So if somebody wants to attempt to make a version for AMD, maybe they can (but I doubt so).

cakefoo

Raw Data looks cool, maybe even the best stand-in-one-spot-and-shoot-stuff-around-you game. But boy do I hope we get beyond those types of games soon.
The original Brookhaven demo guys are creating Island 359 to address this exact concern. The game uses a supposedly comfortable point-and-dash locomotion system.

Exuro

Fuck. Raw data is hard. Getting hammered on the second mission already. Difficult with both cleric and ninja.

Those red exploding bots are super annoying to deal with (and I'm not good with throwing the blade either).
Yeah I'm also stuck here. The ninja lady doesn't seem to work that well when the torso bots jump on you. Having them plus everyone else makes the end phases super hectic.

Glass

Reading the top of the page abou Raw Data as I'm logging into Steam and an ad for the game pops up. I'm going to own it by this weekend arn't I.

LordAlu

Personally, I would suggest:
Audioshield (rhythm match music heaven)
Holo point (archery workout)
The lab ( should be your first port(al) of call)
Vanishing realms ( my favovorite game so far) (sort of zelda-esque dungeon crawler)
Budget cuts demo ( always finish with this when I demo the vive)
Pool nation (this is a great social experience)
I was gonna suggest Space Pirate Trainer....but in the last hour be changed to....
Raw Data( shooting heaven!)

If you have a wheel:
Project cars (my most played great game).
Thanks - I'll be sure to check them all out! :)

Haint

The inverse kinematics in Raw Data are pretty bad. Doesn't seem to add anything to the experience and I'd go so far as to say actively detracts from it considering how rarely they line up with your RL arm placement (which looks and feels weird). Worst of all it also seems to break 1:1 movement and position if you can reach outside what the game thinks should be your limit (especially noticeable melee punching with fists). Scale on the models is also awful, Katana class looks like a baby's arms/hands. Reputedly it's a hard thing to do so I'm sure they spent a lot of time and effort on it, probably didn't have the heart to scrap it when they saw it wasn't really working out.

bigmac996

In Raw Data, did they eliminate the munitions replicator from the earlier alpha? I remember watching Node's stream and seeing players choose from a list of weapons in that center console in the levels.

Really bummed if they nixed this in favor of character classes. Would love to mix and match weapons and abilities.

Kodiak333

Neo Member
Everything seems to be OK with my 980ti and Raw Data, but when the robots die and collapse the animation seems really jittery. Is this just how the game is or is it reprojecting for me?

Zalusithix

Easiest way for me is that the controllers look choppy.
Pretty much. Hold the controllers in front of your eyes and start turning your head while keeping the controllers directly in front of your eyes. (Basically keeping the controllers in what should be exactly the same visual position. Easiest to accomplish by keeping your head and arm positions locked and turning at your torso.) Without reprojection they look like they should. With reprojection they'll have a ghosting between their reprojected position and real position. (Reprojection will keep them where they were in positional space in the last frame, then they bounce to where they should be on the next frame, and then reproject lag again the next frame.)
The inverse kinematics in Raw Data are pretty bad. Doesn't seem to add anything to the experience and I'd go so far as to say actively detracts from it considering how rarely they line up with your RL arm placement (which looks and feels weird). Worst of all it also seems to break 1:1 movement and position if you can reach outside what the game thinks should be your limit (especially noticeable melee punching with fists). Scale on the models is also awful, Katana class looks like a baby's arms/hands. Reputedly it's a hard thing to do so I'm sure they spent a lot of time and effort on it, probably didn't have the heart to scrap it when they saw it wasn't really working out.

Haven't bought/played it yet due to my PC still being in OC stability check mode (5 hours stable with full linpack loading and counting - fingers crossed), but I could have sworn they were going to make it so you could choose whether you had a full IK body, just the arms, or nothing. That way people could chose what worked best for them.

Durante

The easiest way to tell if you are reprojecting is turning it off and enabling the performance warning overlay.

(I've had reprojection off since upgrading to a 1080 -- I don't need it in any VR games I play)

Raw Data needs its own thread. Seriously.
I could make one if no one else wants to.

I think the Katana mode would be that much better if they made two handing it more satisfying. Right now two handing it just gives you a damage boost that isn't immediately apparent in how significant it is, and a small lightning effect. I think if they made the lightning effect a bit more "significant" (Particularly in having a more flashy startup, watching the lightning shoot down the blade instead of just sorta showing up), and having it extend the blade by some extra length, it'd give the katana that extra oomph it needs.

Onemic

The easiest way to tell if you are reprojecting is turning it off and enabling the performance warning overlay.

(I've had reprojection off since upgrading to a 1080 -- I don't need it in any VR games I play)

What settings are you playing Raw Data on? I need reprojection for anything above low unless multi-res is turned on.

Zaptruder

Banned
How you guys playing multiplayer in Raw Data? I haven't seen anyone online. No lobbies, no one joining my games. It's so lonely ; ;

Do you have to stick around in the lobby screen until someone joins? Can you not even move away from the console/screen while waiting? Lots of impressive things about the game, but the jank is real.

kinggroin

Banned
OK so Raw Data PLAYS great (feels so bad ass zipping around and popping headshots and ducking behind stuff). Love the storyline stuff to help keep things moving, but holy fuck is this game a pile of dog poo on my rig (performance and visuals)

FX8350@4.4ghz + 970

And in addition to having a weird skip or judder every 90 frames, I can't run this game at a consistent 90fps no matter how low I go (it currently looks like a 320×240 game).

Also what the hell is with the lag?? I mean, it's BAD. My game arm and hand are like a foot behind my real one during fast movement.

Earliest easy to check this is pressing the steam menu button so you can still see the game and your waiting room controllers at the same time. Move them fast and watch how far back the raw data arms and gun track behind the ones in the waiting room.

Also, chaperone is distracting as fuck in this title for whatever reason. Off it goes!

TheRed

This makes me sad.My 1080 is totally not doing this. What's your shadow settings on in Raw Data, high or medium? I'm gonna try the same settings and see how it goes. Raw Data was running better than most things for me but not smooth 90 for sure.

Earliest easy to check this is pressing the steam menu button so you can still see the game and your waiting room controllers at the same time. Move them fast and watch how far back the raw data arms and gun track behind the ones in the waiting room.

If you do that it lags no matter what. Not a great way to tell performance (even though you are indeed experiencing problems).

kinggroin

Banned
If you do that it lags no matter what. Not a great way to tell performance (even though you are indeed experiencing problems).

Fair enough, it adds a little more lag doing this, but it isn't much different than how it shows up in-game (which was why I checked in the first place).

Edit: This whole thing is a pita. The hardware is powerful enough it seems (the Pascal cards, not my 970), but the software just not seem to be leveraging the VR optimizations found in them.

I'm probably wrong. Could just be "Early Access" is why.

Onemic

Melee doesnt work well in this game at all. Hopefully that's still WIP. Also there are times when the game will randomly drop your gun for no reason or switch your hands for no reason.

I installed the new geforce drivers so hopefully I get performance similar to Durante once I test it after work.

Besides the performance and bugs, the actual game design is very well done. I didnt get a chance to try out MP, but the SP was pretty impressive. I can see the comparisons to SPT, but this is more like an evolution of that since you can actually move around the map.

Unfortunately I dont have a lot of space in my room, as it seems like this game scales extremely well with your playspace.

Lemonte

Raw Data is pretty cool. Played tutorial and first mission. In-game hands feel weird. Why did they model forearm too. Feels like in-game hand is little higher than my actual hand. I didn't actually realize you can teleport around during actual gameplay since all gameplay I have seen before everyone just stayed in the middle always. When I died to one of the bigger waves then I started to think how to avoid them and realized you can teleport... Doh. I'm scared to use the sword. My play are is big enough to swing anyway I want but I'm still expecting to hit wall or something. Had same problem with Holoball too.

Melee doesnt work well in this game at all. Hopefully that's still WIP. Also there are times when the game will randomly drop your gun for no reason or switch your hands for no reason.

I installed the new geforce drivers so hopefully I get performance similar to Durante once I test it after work.

Besides the performance and bugs, the actual game design is very well done. I didnt get a chance to try out MP, but the SP was pretty impressive. I can see the comparisons to SPT, but this is more like an evolution of that since you can actually move around the map.

Unfortunately I dont have a lot of space in my room, as it seems like this game scales extremely well with your playspace.

To melee you have to actually close your fist with the grab command (it depends on your settings).

Same goes for dropping guns: if you squeeze the controller you will drop / switch your gun.

Onemic

To melee you have to actually close your fist with the grab command (it depends on your settings).

Same goes for dropping guns: if you squeeze the controller you will drop / switch your gun.

I know that, Im not saying it doesnt work at all, just not well. There are many times where I'll be within range to hit them with melee, but the bots take no damage. Likewise the hand switching and gun dropping has been completely random. My config is set to sticky anyway, so I shouldnt be able to drop a gun by pressing the grab button unless I switch it with another weapon.

DesertFox

Question for you Vive or Oculus users:

I've been really interested in VR lately but haven't had any experience with it at all, so rather than risk hundreds of dollars, I got a headset viewer for my phone so I could get a cheap "demo" of VR.

My question is, how representative is something like google cardboard to the experience that Vive provides? How is the field of vision - are you able to see any black bars in your peripheral/top/bottom?

I know that things like framerate and pixel density would not be good on an iPhone 6s plus, so I'm not judging it based on that - but I'm really curious about how immersive the expensive headsets are. My experience with a cheap one suffered a bit due to the field of vision being a bit too narrow. There were hints of something awesome there though, it was cool to get to peer "into" a 3D world for the first time.

Onemic

Question for you Vive or Oculus users:

I've been really interested in VR lately but haven't had any experience with it at all, so rather than risk hundreds of dollars, I got a headset viewer for my phone so I could get a cheap "demo" of VR.

My question is, how representative is something like google cardboard to the experience that Vive provides? How is the field of vision - are you able to see any black bars in your peripheral/top/bottom?

I know that things like framerate and pixel density would not be good on an iPhone 6s plus, so I'm not judging it based on that - but I'm really curious about how immersive the expensive headsets are. My experience with a cheap one suffered a bit due to the field of vision being a bit too narrow. There were hints of something awesome there though, it was cool to get to peer "into" a 3D world for the first time.

Google cardboard is terrible. It will literally just feel like a phone being strapped to your face and calling it 'VR'. Same with all those other knockoff VR devices.

Honestly after I tried one of those knockoff VR devices it soured me on VR in general until I was able to get the Vive in my house. The difference is striking. The two arent even comparable imo.

Wallach

Vive ordered. Now I just need to rearrange the office a bit so my PC is against the dividing wall, so I can run through the wall and use the next room as my VR room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom