• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertFox

Google cardboard is terrible. It will literally just feel like a phone being strapped to your face and calling it 'VR'. Same with all those other knockoff VR devices.

Honestly after I tried one of those knockoff VR devices it soured me on VR in general until I was able to get the Vive in my house. The difference is striking. The two arent even comparable imo.

That's good, thanks for the feedback!

In Raw Data - How long are the cooldown times on powers?

Also, if you are using the force push (and I believe they get force pull and levitate in the full ability list) does the game feel like playing a mass effect biotic/adept?

Onemic

That's good, thanks for the feedback!

I've made this suggestion before, but just in case I'll make it again. Do not get the Vive/Rift yet if you're in this for playing/enhancing AAA game experiences. Only get it if you're interested in the tech and you want to be at the forefront of its evolution. If you're primarily in it for the games wait until the 2nd or 3rd gen headsets come out because by that time devs would have had enough time to figure out artificial locomotion and fully flesh out VR titles. Remember that this is a new medium and as such development of fleshed out titles like what you see on consoles will take longer.

Keep your expectations in check and you'll have a blast. There isnt anything like it.

I know that, Im not saying it doesnt work at all, just not well. There are many times where I'll be within range to hit them with melee, but the bots take no damage. Likewise the hand switching and gun dropping has been completely random. My config is set to sticky anyway, so I shouldnt be able to drop a gun by pressing the grab button unless I switch it with another weapon.

Sticky, I see. I'm on toggle, and I've never had the game switch/drop randomly.

I do drop my gun in more frantic battles though xD

Melee could definitely use some work.

How you guys playing multiplayer in Raw Data? I haven't seen anyone online. No lobbies, no one joining my games. It's so lonely ; ;

Do you have to stick around in the lobby screen until someone joins? Can you not even move away from the console/screen while waiting? Lots of impressive things about the game, but the jank is real.

I just picked it up and won't be able to play until later tonight, but I'd be down to coordinate with some people on Gaf so we can go on at the same time and match up :D

artsi

I bought my second Vive today. Got a few hundred euros profit from selling the first one, and this was 100€ discounted because the store staff tested it. Pristine condition and everything working, got also a local retailer warranty (no fights with HTC) so all is good.

Got it for half price, basically :p

Zaptruder

Banned
Sticky, I see. I'm on toggle, and I've never had the game switch/drop randomly.

I do drop my gun in more frantic battles though xD

Melee could definitely use some work.

Ninja sword melee is pretty decent. Things drop pretty quickly to it. Easy to aim for the head too.

Punching melee is much harder. Shorter range and less damage and general lack of feedback, as well as the overall hecticness of the whole situation makes melee feel a bit... hamfisted.

So on Raw Data if you play as Ninja bro you can only use a sword? I got through wave 5 and having just a sword was a tad difficult especially with the inaccurate sword throwing mechanic. The melee combat is decent; the sword feels good but you can waggle your way to a kill without any real blade to body contact, and the punching is still a bit janky. I hope you can remove individual limbs from robots in the future.

As far as polished indie games goes this is up there with Hover Junkers, The Gallery, Budget Cuts, Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption etc. I just soaked my foam head gasket with sweat playing this game. For those of you wondering if this is just your standard wave shooter it is not. You can actually traverse the map.

So on Raw Data if you play as Ninja bro you can only use a sword? I got through wave 5 and having just a sword was a tad difficult especially with the inaccurate sword throwing mechanic. The melee combat is decent; the sword feels good but you can waggle your way to a kill without any real blade to body contact, and the punching is still a bit janky. I hope you can remove individual limbs from robots in the future.

As far as polished indie games goes this is up there with Hover Junkers, The Gallery, Budget Cuts, Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption etc. I just soaked my foam head gasket with sweat playing this game. For those of you wondering if this is just your standard wave shooter it is not. You can actually traverse the map.

Protip: use the force.

Seriously, you can move your hand to control the flying blade after you've thrown it. Makes it much easier to hit things.

Can you use force push as often as you want or is there a cooldown?

I'm not even talking about force push. When you toss the katana and it's spinning like a boomerang, you can adjust its flight by moving your arm around. It acts a bit wonky when hitting walls and such, understandably, but it works wonders for correcting your aim after you've thrown it. Works on its way out, and back in.

Can you use force push as often as you want or is there a cooldown?

Its not force push and there is no cool down. The ninja has a blade throw special move that can be directed with the use of hand movement (which I did not know until now).

Seriously, you can move your hand to control the flying blade after you've thrown it. Makes it much easier to hit things.

thanks. will try again after I take my back pain meds because I am an old man.

spannicus

Anyone try Nvidia VR funhouse yet? Heard it supposed to be pretty fun. Gonna give it a go later today.
I played it with my family today it was awesome. Ran fine on Medium settings on my 980ti. They have 3 settings all of which are for the new series of cards but mess around see which setting works for you. Also i got Raw Data. Probably the best Vive game there is right now.

Exuro

Oh is that how it works? Everytime I threw I felt like it was always arcing to the right. So me putting my hand down while it was flying is causing it to do that?

FYI

The ninja does in fact have force push. Amazing.

Oh is that how it works? Everytime I threw I felt like it was always arcing to the right. So me putting my hand down while it was flying is causing it to do that?

Yep. And if you let go of the grip buttons it hangs out for a lot longer allow you to arc and bend it a little more.

MaDKaT

Finally got my 1080 installed and set up revive. Tried playing Dirt Rally and I, dissapointingly, find it quite uncomfortable. Doesnt matter if settings are low, medium, or high. So i have questions. How do I decipher the steam vr frame timer? Far as I can tell, I only drop frames here and there while flipping through menu screens and the graph seems to track similar to something like the blu which runs buttery smooth now. Am i only concerned about red bars? Is there a way to get a frame counter in the headset? Am I getting vsynced to my monitors refresh through revive? The In game menu doesnt let me set native res to the headset or force 90hz. Not sure if that is set through the oculus support patch or not. Really hoping I'm just missing something I need to set. Will try Assetto Corsa after the nausea subsides.

*Update
After Reinstalled SteamVR (beta), turned off all workshop skins and environments, set everything back to defaults as well as re-calibrated my lighthouses and my room setup. Everything seems good. Fired up Dirt Rally and saw immediately I was missing frames in the performance menu and the frametimer graph even when the game was set to Ultra-Low. After some more debugging it seems that the issue is when the mirrored window of the game is pushed to the background on my desktop while Im examining the performance graphs. When I go back to the game window, performance smooths out and the moment I brought the performance graph or steamVR settings menu forward again, the games performance would just tank and frames seem to cut in half. If you have retroprojection on, it goes into full retroP. When I bring the game window to the front, things smooth out and all is good. Tried this with assetto corsa and saw similar performance issues when I pushed the game window to the back ground. This seems to be an issue with only my games that use Revive, admittedly I only have 2 at the moment.

Currently I have been able to actually complete multiple sections in Dirt Rally on the default High settings. Crashing is still pretty uncomfortable but nothing like before. Assetto Corsa was also a much better experience. In any case, I hope this helps others that may have been having similar issues.

Arulan

I just set the render target multiplier to 2.0 and the difference is remarkable. I'll have to see how well my overclocked 1080 handles it across other games.

Do most of you run with reprojection on or off?

Outside of VR, I will usually run double-buffered Vsync (Nvidia Inspector) and a frame rate limiter (RTSS) when achieving a stable frame rate is possible in order to achieve perfect video motion at the lowest input latency (outside of Gsync). Is there any benefit to doing such things for VR? I'd have to imagine input latency and video motion consistency are already at the highest priority for VR applications. Can anyone share any information or experience on this?

I found an interesting post on renderTargetMultiplier

It looks like it might be detrimental with The Lab's renderer. It would be nice if Valve added per-game profile settings in a future update.

TheRed

*Update
After Reinstalled SteamVR (beta), turned off all workshop skins and environments, set everything back to defaults as well as re-calibrated my lighthouses and my room setup. Everything seems good. Fired up Dirt Rally and saw immediately I was missing frames in the performance menu and the frametimer graph even when the game was set to Ultra-Low. After some more debugging it seems that the issue is when the mirrored window of the game is pushed to the background on my desktop while Im examining the performance graphs. When I go back to the game window, performance smooths out and the moment I brought the performance graph or steamVR settings menu forward again, the games performance would just tank and frames seem to cut in half. If you have retroprojection on, it goes into full retroP. When I bring the game window to the front, things smooth out and all is good. Tried this with assetto corsa and saw similar performance issues when I pushed the game window to the back ground. This seems to be an issue with only my games that use Revive, admittedly I only have 2 at the moment.

Currently I have been able to actually complete multiple sections in Dirt Rally on the default High settings. Crashing is still pretty uncomfortable but nothing like before. Assetto Corsa was also a much better experience. In any case, I hope this helps others that may have been having similar issues.
If you can let me know, when playing now and it's fine your frame timing graph looks nothing like the one I posted on the previous page? Because I get bad performance with the game window in focus. I will have to look into completely uninstalling and reinstalling everything once I get back home.

Zalusithix

I just set the render target multiplier to 2.0 and the difference is remarkable. I'll have to see how well my overclocked 1080 handles it across other games.

Do most of you run with reprojection on or off?

Outside of VR, I will usually run double-buffered Vsync (Nvidia Inspector) and a frame rate limiter (RTSS) when achieving a stable frame rate is possible in order to achieve perfect video motion at the lowest input latency (outside of Gsync). Is there any benefit to doing such things for VR? I'd have to imagine input latency and video motion consistency are already at the highest priority for VR applications. Can anyone share any information or experience on this?

I found an interesting post on renderTargetMultiplier

It looks like it might be detrimental with The Lab's renderer. It would be nice if Valve added per-game profile settings in a future update.

Latency is already minimized as much as possible for VR. You're not going to be able to tweak anything to get gains on that front. Reprojection will increase controller input latency when active, but head movement latency remains the same. Well technically reprojection could marginally improve headset tracking latency if every frame was reprojected right before sending it out, but Valve doesn't do that (at least not to my knowledge).

MaDKaT

If you can let me know, when playing now and it's fine your frame timing graph looks nothing like the one I posted on the previous page? Because I get bad performance with the game window in focus. I will have to look into completely uninstalling and reinstalling everything once I get back home.

It was bad and pretty similar to yours with being in full retroprojection no matter the graphic settings. Now I have this on High settings.

TheRed

It was bad and pretty similar to yours with being in full retroprojection no matter the graphic settings. Now I have this on High settings.

Dang my graph is ridiculous compared to yours, don't even know what the red line on mine means. Thanks a bunch I will keep testing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What's your setup? I have a 6700k and 1080 so I hope I can run at high with enough headroom like your graph shows. Are you using any supersampling?

I think I remember talk of performance issues with steamVR if you had any windows overlapping the mirror window

Business

Anyone else has problems with the floor setup? Everything seems to go well when I put my two controllers on the floor but somehow the horizon is never level, and always differently.

I'm using a couple of tripots for my lighthouses which are only adjustable in height so currently I can't make the lighthouses face 45º down, could this be the issue?

Durante

Someone figured out that the 1-frame-spike every 90 frames in Raw Data goes away if you don't launch the game from Steam (I reconfirmed that for myself), and that apparently allowed the developers to figure out what was going on and they'll patch it soon. Nice!

Anyone else has problems with the floor setup? Everything seems to go well when I put my two controllers on the floor but somehow the horizon is never level, and always differently.

I'm using a couple of tripots for my lighthouses which are only adjustable in height so currently I can't make the lighthouses face 45º down, could this be the issue?
Do you mean they are completely horizontal? That's generally probably a bad idea for tracking in terms of volume covered by both lighthouses. I don't see right now why it would have a particular impact on floor calibration, but you should really try to get that fixed.

Business

Do you mean they are completely horizontal? That's generally probably a bad idea for tracking in terms of volume covered by both lighthouses. I don't see right now why it would have a particular impact on floor calibration, but you should really try to get that fixed.

Yeah they are flat right now, at about 1,90m height, I should get that fixed today. It's strange because the floor 'inclination' changes everytime I start and stop VR. Well I hope putting the lighthouses as recommended helps with that.

Paganmoon

How widespread/bad is the VR Sickness? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Vive but that stuff has me a little concerned.

It's not really "a thing", as far as I've seen. I've had lots of friends over to test, I've had my mom and dad over (both over 60) and they've enjoyed it. No sickness. (this is of course purely anecdotal, I can't speak for everyone).
So from what I've seen it really only has to do with the game. If a game has poorly implemented VR (like tacked on VR, or simply poor headtracking or poor locomotion), then you'll most likely get sick, no matter what.

So if you stick to curated games and applications (for instance through steam), and read the reviews, and check here for feedback on games you're interested in, you should be good.

On another note, I just spent some time with Titans of Space 2.0. Man what little it takes to scare the shit out of me. Seeing Rigel and VY Canis Majoris get zoomed to scale had me "a bit" shook.

Durante

How widespread/bad is the VR Sickness? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Vive but that stuff has me a little concerned.
If a game is running well and doesn't use artificial locomotion (other than teleportation) then it shouldn't make anyone sick (and I've never seen that happen).

The more artificial locomotion a game uses the more likely it is to make some or all players sick. Luckily, specifically for the Vive, most games don't use artifical locomotion.

I get tinges of queasiness after about half an hour or so, but a ten minute break, and I'm good to go again. I do tend to suffer from sea-sickness though, so I'm probably more susceptible than most.

I've made this suggestion before, but just in case I'll make it again. Do not get the Vive/Rift yet if you're in this for playing/enhancing AAA game experiences. Only get it if you're interested in the tech and you want to be at the forefront of its evolution. If you're primarily in it for the games wait until the 2nd or 3rd gen headsets come out because by that time devs would have had enough time to figure out artificial locomotion and fully flesh out VR titles. Remember that this is a new medium and as such development of fleshed out titles like what you see on consoles will take longer.

Keep your expectations in check and you'll have a blast. There isnt anything like it.

This is the conclusion I came to after trying the Vive for the first time. I thought it was amazing and really want it but just can't justify $800 for it yet.

TheRed

It's like a tease when the SteamVR performance test says my PC is ready for any VR games and some might allow higher settings because of my 1080. Then every game I launch the application running too slowly notification comes up saying my computer may be too slow and yup it runs like crap in VR.

It's like a tease when the SteamVR performance test says my PC is ready for any VR games and some might allow higher settings because of my 1080. Then every game I launch the application running too slowly notification comes up saying my computer may be too slow and yup it runs like crap in VR.

Wait what? A 1080 should be blowing through 90% of games. Something must be wrong there.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

Very accurate and why I sold mine after two weeks. For people who want to experience meaty games in VR waiting 2 or 3 years is what makes sense. By then we will:

1) see if VR is still a thing.
2) have better HMDs that provide a more comfortable VR experience with solutions to current VR issues.
3) have more affordable HMDs.
4) have actual games hopefully.

MaDKaT

What's your setup? I have a 6700k and 1080 so I hope I can run at high with enough headroom like your graph shows. Are you using any supersampling?

I think I remember talk of performance issues with steamVR if you had any windows overlapping the mirror window

6600k OC'd 4.4
32 GB ddr4 3200
Seahawk 1080 no OC yet

Just started messing with SS and currently tweaking for 1.5x. Seem like I should be able to hit mostly high settings with only needing to dial back things like reflections. Still need to work on a mild OC on the gpu as well.

Paganmoon

What are your full specs? and what's popping up about your computer being too slow?

TheRed

Wait what? A 1080 should be blowing through 90% of games. Something must be wrong there.
I know something is wrong but can't figure out what. It only occurs in VR games. I've tried uninstalling drivers with DDU 5 times now and have installed the latest drivers. I tried opting into steamvr beta to see if that helped but it made no difference.
What are your full specs? and what's popping up about your computer being too slow?

SteamVR has a little pop up on the monitor when an application is running too slowly, I get it in pretty everything.
I have i5 4670k @4.1 ghz, GTX 1080, 16 gb RAM, 1 TB SSD and 1 TB HDD.
All my normal games have been a significant leap over my 970 and run well. Benchmarks are all in the range of other people with 1080s. VR is the only issue.

I know something is wrong but can't figure out what. It only occurs in VR games. I've tried uninstalling drivers with DDU 5 times now and have installed the latest drivers. I tried opting into steamvr beta to see if that helped but it made no difference.

SteamVR has a little pop up on the monitor when an application is running too slowly, I get it in pretty everything.
All my normal games have been a significant leap over my 970 and run well. Benchmarks are all in the range of other people with 1080s. VR is the only issue.

Maybe some of that secret sauce multiprojection thing is going wrong? Is there any way to troubleshoot that?

Have you checked through vsync settings? Maybe the refresh rate of a monitor is throwing everything off and messing it up.

Durante

Are you using the latest drivers released yesterday? What's your GPU clock in VR games?

TheRed

Maybe some of that secret sauce multiprojection thing is going wrong? Is there any way to troubleshoot that?

Have you checked through vsync settings? Maybe the refresh rate of a monitor is throwing everything off and messing it up.

I don't think that multiprojection tech should be active in any games yet. Maybe I'm wrong though.Yeah I've turned off Vsync and it's same problems just a few more frames in performance.

Paganmoon

Strange, as others suggested, next step is checking your utilization and clocks while in VR, get GPU-Z and check.
Edit: Does this also happen if you start a VR game outside of SteamVR?

SW Celebration VR stuff is on right now if you're interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EI8YxV0u2U

Edit: Trials on Tatooine releasing on Monday for free.

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom