• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Unseen Diplomacy. Wish the game itself had been a bit more fun/interesting, but as a tech demo for "infinite corridor" traversal, it's VERY effective. Really hope we see a full game use this locomotion scheme.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I installed MineCrift yesterday (since I enjoy casually playing MineCraft once in a while) just to try it out.

Three hours later and I am sweating like a pig and so tired but GODDAMN is it good. The whole feeling of being in the MineCraft world, the excellent control scheme (I'd love there to be actual movement instead of teleporting but I'll deal with it) and just being able to punch pigs.

This is my "killer" game.

You can switch between teleporting and real movement - can't remember the control to do that but maybe holding the right hand grips? There is a mode where you can walk in the direction of your left controller

LordAlu

You can switch between teleporting and real movement - can't remember the control to do that but maybe holding the right hand grips? There is a mode where you can walk in the direction of your left controller
Whoa, time to double-check the menus when I get home :O

Just finished Unseen Diplomacy. Wish the game itself had been a bit more fun/interesting, but as a tech demo for "infinite corridor" traversal, it's VERY effective. Really hope we see a full game use this locomotion scheme.

I make sure to demo that to people any time I show them VR for the first time.

While it obviously isn't a fully fleshed out "game" It's still up there as one of my favorite experiences I've had in VR. I also hope to see a full version of UD or a different game that makes use of it's traversal method.

Zalusithix

As I said previously, the IK is necessary for the multiplayer. They could have an option to turn it off for your own character and only show the hands though.

As far as I can tell, it's all GPU. I can just about maintain 1.4 scaling and "epic" AA with my OC'ed 1080.

To me, the feature which makes Raw Data more fun to play than any other VR action game so far is the coop.

Yes, the IK is needed for multiplayer. I was referring to the first person representation. Hover Junkers also uses IK for multiplayer, but your perspective only has the hands or weapon. No forearm, and is less distracting because of it. Much like your bog standard FPS, what you see in first person doesn't have to be what other people see. In the future when we can accurately track random parts of the body, whole body reproduction in first person will make total sense. Right now, every faked part can do more harm than good for the subset of people that find it distracting.

It's not the end of the world in this particular case, but I'd certainly prefer a way to change it.

Edit:
All these refunds for an early access game for early access reasons

I don't see that many refunds being mentioned here? I'm not despite my complaints. I see the potential in the game, and want to be around for the ride.

Lurch666

WTF was that????

Just played raw data after all the people going on about it and either I'm missing something or this game is shit.

Just standing in a room and punching robots is not my idea of fun.Where the hell is the gun and the sword?

Beat two waves of robots (the second who had guns) then a robot with a sword turns up.I can't seem to damage it and it keeps running off.

A distinct lack of instructions have made me hate this game!

Am I missing something obvious?

MaDKaT

WTF was that????

Just played raw data after all the people going on about it and either I'm missing something or this game is shit.

Just standing in a room and punching robots is not my idea of fun.Where the hell is the gun and the sword?

Beat two waves of robots (the second who had guns) then a robot with a sword turns up.I can't seem to damage it and it keeps running off.

Am I missing something obvious
?

The training station in the home room? Pretty big message comes advising you to do them first. Anyway, gun is on your hip, reload opposite, if you are the warrior, sword is on your back. Reach to them and grab.

Zalusithix

WTF was that????

Am I missing something obvious?
I'm guessing you never did the tutorials?

Lurch666

Just angry after looking forward to playing this and then getting annoyed by the gameplay.

Did the tutorials and then went back into the centre of the room.found a menu and picked the first mission.

My last post shows the results.No gun on my hip.Didn't think to check for the sword as I didn't get to select a character so I figured I would maybe get weapons when I had beaten a wave or two with my bare fists.

Onemic

Do you still play racing games in VR with a controller? Are you finding it fine? A wheel seems a no-brainier for immersion and presence but setup might need me to buy another desk, or a wheel stand pro which is more expensive than the wheel.. And move it in/out of the tracked space when I'm playing. Might result in me hardly using it

Ya, it feels about the same as with non-VR. Only difference is that VR makes it easier to anticipate turns.

Yeah currently it's either or. So you didn't have a gun so you were probably the sword person.

I thought you could use both too
The preview videos by Node were based on a build before there were classes, and weapons were just selected from a menu. I think it'd be cool if they brought in a "weapon master" that had no skills other than having the different weapons.

I don't understand the sword in Raw Data. It doesn't really work when I hit the enemies. How hard to I have to hit them?
You have to hit with the blade side, not the blunt end or sides. You don't really have to hit them "hard", but you do need to make it a proper swing.

arit

Something about the hand/sword position feels off in Raw Data, like I'm shorter and have less reach than I should have (made the punching melee tutorial really awkward). I also punched against my Vive because the shoulder(?) of the player model suddenly clipped into my view.

The tracking itself seems a bit sluggish or even laggy, but that may be the 970 reaching its limit with 1.4x/all low.

Also the drones suck and I hope the first mission will be the most I see of them.

Zalusithix

Something about the hand/sword position feels off in Raw Data, like I'm shorter and have less reach than I should have (made the punching melee tutorial really awkward). I also punched against my Vive because the shoulder(?) of the player model suddenly clipped into my view.

The tracking itself seems a bit sluggish or even laggy, but that may be the 970 reaching its limit with 1.4x/all low.

Also the drones suck and I hope the first mission will be the most I see of them.

A 980ti can't even handle 1.4 scaling without reprojection kicking in. Even with everything at low, I highly doubt the 970 is in the clear. Reprojection basically doubles the input latency of the controllers in addition to the artifacting. For a game like this, it's 90fps or bust.

Haint

It's their inverse kinematics system. You mirrored my earlier complaints, kinda shocked they shipped in this state. I've not demoed to a single person that didn't point it out immediately as being weird completely unprompted.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=210042882&postcount=11974

Lurch666

Well I've calmed down a bit.(Ever been SOOO frustrated with a game?)

Anyway will give this a try again tomorrow and see if the sword is at my back.I had forgotten all about it by the time I got to actually fight the robots.

as I didn't get to select a character

Well, the menus are there.

Taking a couple minute exploring options isn't going to kill you, you know.

Plus, you can freely move on the map as you like. Hell, you can even climb up things.

And get someone to play with you. The game is meant to be played coop.

Lurch666

Well, the menus are there.

Taking a couple minute exploring options isn't going to kill you, you know.

Plus, you can freely move on the map as you like. Hell, you can even climb up things.

And get someone to play with you. The game is meant to be played coop.

Found a menu.clicked to start the first level.
usually if I have a choice of characters that comes after selecting the level.

O.K. so I missed it by not looking around and got annoyed when I couldn't figure out how to use anything but my fists.Like I said I got frustrated.
I was waiting for the sword robot to kill me until I ran out of lives but it would hit me then run off so my health regenerated and I couldn't hurt it with my fists.

I was waiting for the sword robot to kill me until I ran out of lives but it would hit me then run off so my health regenerated and I couldn't hurt it with my fists.

If you want to punch things, you have to actually close your fist, with the side buttons on the controllers. And hit hard.

All these refunds for an early access game for early access reasons

I've seen quite a few refunds here and elsewhere.

Personally, no matter what moral reasons you throw at it, IMO if the game had a lower price while in early access then people would be less likely to get refunds and more likely to put up with "early access problems." As it stands people are probably thinking about how much they spent on a game that doesn't work as well as they think a game should at this price point and worried that they will get stuck with it in this state just like many other early access games do. As it is, I think a lot of people are going to get burnt out dealing with the jank and gradually associate negativity towards the game whether knowingly or not.

I think it would be better if they and others lowered the price for early access and then raised it back up when the game fully releases. Just my two cents.

Thinking about watching Hardcore Henry through the Vive when it's released. Can't think of a better film to do it with. I really enjoyed it, it would have been great to have a VR version of the film, just 3D and full screen would have been great.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Thinking of getting it (might be getting a new job finally!) and had a couple of questions-

1. How are non-VR games in it. For example, if I just launched Rise of the tomb raider- how good would it be in the theater mode (or whatever its called)? Pixellated? Good? Is every game supported?

2. How goes does it seem with Nvidia 3d vision etc. (basically games which arent VR)? Is the 3d good?

3. Thinking of getting a GTX 1080 with it. Will it be good enough?

4. Finally, is it worth getting? Should I wait?

I've seen quite a few refunds here and elsewhere.

Personally, no matter what moral reasons you throw at it, IMO if the game had a lower price while in early access then people would be less likely to get refunds and more likely to put up with "early access problems." As it stands people are probably thinking about how much they spent on a game that doesn't work as well as they think a game should at this price point and worried that they will get stuck with it in this state just like many other early access games do. As it is, I think a lot of people are going to get burnt out dealing with the jank and gradually associate negativity towards the game whether knowingly or not.

I think it would be better if they and others lowered the price for early access and then raised it back up when the game fully releases. Just my two cents.

It's a double edged sword. Especially with this game, I'd bet they get a significant chunk of their sales at launch of EA. With the production values they're going for, can they afford to sell to that many people at say half of what they eventually intend to charge considering VR's small install base? I don't know. On the other hand, it totally makes sense that people want to pay the appropriate price for the available content and Survios probably didn't need to launch in EA at this state (though who knows, maybe they did).

Thinking of getting it (might be getting a new job finally!) and had a couple of questions-

1. How are non-VR games in it. For example, if I just launched Rise of the tomb raider- how good would it be in the theater mode (or whatever its called)? Pixellated? Good? Is every game supported?

2. How goes does it seem with Nvidia 3d vision etc. (basically games which arent VR)? Is the 3d good?

Yes to all.

Theatre mode is nice, but it's a bit rough, as far as resolution goes; it's a nice feature, and it is definitely usable.

3D in theatre mode is perfect. Two screens, two view-point, no crosstalk (see above for general quality).

1080 is the fastest gpu available, so it's enough.

BUT: the real deal are VR games built for VR. If you're mainly buying it thinking about enhancing legacy games, just don't.

Room-scale VR is where it's at.

kinggroin

Banned

1) They work, but unless you can lock them to 90fps, it'll be juddery. When it works, it's a cool theater-like experience with a very soft image quality. Short films are fun to watch on it. And there's a free program on Steam (can't remember the name) that does co-op viewing!

2) 3D is flawless. Zero cross talk. Again, I recommend the above application.

3) It will for stuff built for VR. You'll have to compromise SOME settings to maintain 90fps however.

4) It's a paradigm shift. I think you should wait till gen 2 however. Too much jank.

Edit: Big Screen I think it's called...

1. I wouldn't recommend it myself. If you have a good monitor, just use that. Games that aren't made for it just look shit, and there is really no other benefit to me.

2. Never tried it

3. Yes

4. This is something only you can answer. Do I regret getting it? Sometimes, I must admit. Decent games are few and far between. Once the "OH my god VR!" phase wears off the contemplation phase kicks in. One day I want to sell it, the next I'm very happy with it and I worry that if I get rid of it an amazing game or mod will be released.

It's a double edged sword. Especially with this game, I'd bet they get a significant chunk of their sales at launch of EA. With the production values they're going for, can they afford to sell to that many people at say half of what they eventually intend to charge considering VR's small install base? I don't know. On the other hand, it totally makes sense that people want to pay the appropriate price for the available content and Survios probably didn't need to launch in EA at this state (though who knows, maybe they did).

No refunds on early access games may be a solution worth trying as long as consumers are warned several times before buying. It would help deter a lot of people from buying before the game is fully released because of that. Which should, in turn, leave the people who are more serious about early access titles and are more likely to deal with early access jank and not get burned out so easily. This way there would be less bad press or word of mouth and negative feelings. I also think early access titles should be less discoverable and not on the front page of steam.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
3D in theatre mode is perfect. Two screens, two view-point, no crosstalk (see above for general quality).

BUT: the real deal are VR games built for VR. If you're mainly buying it thinking about enhancing legacy games, just don't.

Room-scale VR is where it's at.

2) 3D is flawless. Zero cross talk. Again, I recommend the above application.

4) It's a paradigm shift. I think you should wait till gen 2 however. Too much jank.

So theatre mode basically has a toggle option for 3D? Does the performance dips drastically after enabling it? Since refresh rate is 90Hz normally, basically my card has to be able to do 180Hz in a game to be smooth in 3D in theater mode?

As far as ground-up VR games go, are there still only short games and such or are there full length proper AAA experiences too?

When do you think Vive 2 is going to come, if I do wait?

Edit: Oh and how is the movie watching experience on it? 3d/non-3d both.

4. This is something only you can answer. Do I regret getting it? Sometimes, I must admit. Decent games are few and far between. Once the "OH my god VR!" phase wears off the contemplation phase kicks in. One day I want to sell it, the next I'm very happy with it and I worry that if I get rid of it an amazing game or mod will be released.

haha this reminds me, is anyone selling it? Is there a thread on Neogaf for such things?

Haint

So theatre mode basically has a toggle option for 3D? Does the performance dips drastically after enabling it? Since refresh rate is 90Hz normally, basically my card has to be able to do 180Hz in a game to be smooth in 3D in theater mode?

As far as ground-up VR games go, are there still only short games and such or are there full length proper AAA experiences too?

When do you think Vive 2 is going to come, if I do wait?

Edit: Oh and how is the movie watching experience on it? 3d/non-3d both.

haha this reminds me, is anyone selling it? Is there a thread on Neogaf for such things?

Trine 2 is the only 3D game I've seen reported to work in theater or virtual desktop natively. 3Dvision is not supported afaik, don't think the implementation the Tomb Raiders use work either. There is software to buy that does hack job 3D/VR for older games, but it's reputedly a bear to set up and quality is dubious.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Trine 2 is the only 3D game I've seen reported to work in theater or virtual desktop natively. 3Dvision is not supported afaik, don't think the implementation the Tomb Raiders use work either. There is software to buy that does hack job 3D/VR for older games, but it's reputedly a bear to set up and quality is dubious.

Oh. Thats kinda conflicting from what the posters above said. Or am I misreading it?

igotpaid

I'd love to play Raw Data, or any game for that matter, but error 208 is killing me. I haven't been able to play in two weeks. Tried new cables and solutions from Google. It worked perfectly for two months, then I unplugged it to install my Oculus, and when I plugged it back in it wouldn't cooperate.

I have a very expensive paperweight right now and I'm pretty frustrated.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Think they're talking about 3D movies and just in general. Probably aren't familiar with 3DVision.

I read their answers as- 'there is a native 3d option in Vive which converts all normal games to SBS 3D games (not full VR, just 3d) with just a toggle'.

Did I read that right?

I am not particularly looking at 3D vision solution. I mentioned it just as an example (converts normal games to 3D).

Sky Chief

I read their answers as- 'there is a native 3d option in Vive which converts all normal games to SBS 3D games (not full VR, just 3d) with just a toggle'.

Did I read that right?

I am not particularly looking at 3D vision solution. I mentioned it just as an example (converts normal games to 3D).

No, that is not what they're saying at all. You can do that with 3D video content. For games it is much more complicated.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
No, that is not what they're saying at all. You can do that with 3D video content. For games it is much more complicated.

Oh OK. So basically more traditional gaming is not what one should buy Vive (or Rift, I suppose) for (even with vorpx)?

SimplexPL

You buy vive for native VR games (seated or roomscale, whichever you prefer) and maybe for 3D movies. Defintiely not for "old" 3D-ona-2D-screen games, unless someone invents a magic tool to seamlessly convert them into VR compatible 3D. That would be awesome.

1) They work, but unless you can lock them to 90fps, it'll be juddery.
Would it be still be juddery when locked to 45 fps?

I'd love to play Raw Data, or any game for that matter, but error 208 is killing me. I haven't been able to play in two weeks. Tried new cables and solutions from Google. It worked perfectly for two months, then I unplugged it to install my Oculus, and when I plugged it back in it wouldn't cooperate.

I have a very expensive paperweight right now and I'm pretty frustrated.

I had this issue, and when it finally ended up working it ended up being me pressing the HDMI further into the port. I guess it was just a smidgen loose. Dunno if that'll help you though.

kinggroin

Banned
You buy vive for native VR games (seated or roomscale, whichever you prefer) and maybe for 3D movies. Defintiely not for "old" 3D-ona-2D-screen games, unless someone invents a magic tool to seamlessly convert them into VR compatible 3D. That would be awesome.

Would it be still be juddery when locked to 45 fps?

Nope (and in fact, it's what I've done for some games with my 970).

But you will have a slight double image (or ghost image) on movement along with a slight increase in lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom