• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

igotpaid

I had this issue, and when it finally ended up working it ended up being me pressing the HDMI further into the port. I guess it was just a smidgen loose. Dunno if that'll help you though.

The connection in the headset, linkbox or PC? I haven't unplugged the cables from the headset completely yet. I'll try that tonight. All other cables have been reseated and swapped out.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I did get it working a week ago by uninstalling SteamVR and the USB drivers and rebooting a bunch of times. The headset finally had a green light and it worked. As soon as I rebooted my PC and tried to play the next day, error 208 happened again and I haven't been able to repeat the fix doing the same steps. I even removed all Oculus Rift software just in case it was causing issues somehow.

The connection in the headset, linkbox or PC? I haven't unplugged the cables from the headset completely yet. I'll try that tonight. All other cables have been reseated and swapped out.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I did get it working a week ago by uninstalling SteamVR and the USB drivers and rebooting a bunch of times. The headset finally had a green light and it worked. As soon as I rebooted my PC and tried to play the next day, error 208 happened again and I haven't been able to repeat the fix doing the same steps. I even removed all Oculus Rift software just in case it was causing issues somehow.
In my case, I was in the middle of unhooking every cable to and from the link box, still had issues, and then noticed I was able to push the hdmi on the gpu port just a bit further in. I don't know if it'll help or if it's even related, but that's what I did.

Lurch666

WTF was that.

Just played Raw data (again).

This time I had the dude with a gun.got put in a room full of robots.....

And had a great time.It's so much better when you don't have to punch out EVERY damn robot.
Loving this now.It's much better than SPT because you can teleport around and you don't die with just one damn hit.Only problem now is it's too hot so I keep steaming up my headset.

TLDR:Don't just jump into the game after the tutorial-read the menu options and choose the dude with a gun (or remember that the default dude has a sword on your back).

Zalusithix

WTF was that.

Just played Raw data (again).

This time I had the dude with a gun.got put in a room full of robots.....

And had a great time.It's so much better when you don't have to punch out EVERY damn robot.
Loving this now.It's much better than SPT because you can teleport around and you don't die with just one damn hit.Only problem now is it's too hot so I keep steaming up my headset.

TLDR:Don't just jump into the game after the tutorial-read the menu options and choose the dude with a gun (or remember that the default dude has a sword on your back).
Pretty sure the default is Bishop. He's certainly the one you first enter the room with. Perhaps the tutorial leaves you off with Saija since the blade is the last thing you do there? Can't really remember as I was switching around via the menu anyhow.

SomTervo

Managed to get Wind Waker working with Dolphin VR.

Absolutely. Fucking. Mindblowing.

One issue, though: Right on Links body, around his head, there is always a tiny square. It looks like a dead pixel but it's actually rendered in-game. I think it's actually the sky box or the pause menu rendered way off in the distance. When you pause the game it must become the foreground.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? The game looks damn near perfect except for this little blob right in the middle of your in-game vision!

Man, looking up and around at Outset island... Just mindblowing

Hey, curious, how does framerate work in DolphinVR?

What I mean is, a lot of games are locked to 30fps, and no game is designed to run above 60. I know some games have fps hacks, but the vast majority don't. How does this work in VR?

Paganmoon

Trials of Tatooine is short as hell, but still great. Having the Millenium Falcon land next to you was just great, and the lightsaber looked really nice. Deflecting blasters was fun too, somehow still a bit better than what you currently get with Lightblade VR.

But for such a short experience, it's crazy to think it's a 2.4GB download. Played on high settings, but still saw some shimmering, might give supersampling a try to see if looks better.

SomTervo

What I mean is, a lot of games are locked to 30fps, and no game is designed to run above 60. I know some games have fps hacks, but the vast majority don't. How does this work in VR?

If you right click on a game in your DolphinVR list, you can choose 'VR settings'.

This lets you up the FPS from 20 to 60 or 30 to 60 or 60 to 90.

Basically it lets you up the FPS.

I haven't actually tried that yet - Wind Waker was sublime even without any tweaking. Except for that damn floating box!

PS each game also gets a set of 'cheats' and hacks built in, so you can make it render better in VR (e.g. stop hiding objects outside of the screen focus, so you can look all around and see things which are invisible in the GameCube's engine).

The games can usually be "pulled up" to 60fps, but in order to run at 90 the game has to run faster.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Can the Lighthouse controllers be accessed outside of VR? I'm wondering if they could be used in the same ways people were thinking of using the Sixense STEM controllers.

Zalusithix

Can the Lighthouse controllers be accessed outside of VR? I'm wondering if they could be used in the same ways people were thinking of using the Sixense STEM controllers.

They interface directly with the headset and the only way to get a pose from them is from OpenVR. I mean you don't have to actually render anything to the headset, but you'd still have to rely on OpenVR to get anywhere.

Onemic

Had a similar problem. Same chip @4.4 and a 1080(no OC when testing). Not 100% sure what cleared it for me but I reinstalled SteamVR, removed all workshop addons (read about possible issues with some camera/controller skins), recalibrated room setup, reinstalled nvidia drivers and made sure to close or drop all performance analysis tools behind the game. Dirt runs pretty smooth on high. Only minor hitches as stages load.

Ive done all this bar recalibrating my room setup(i'll do that when I get back from work) and Im still getting severe performance issues in DR. Only ultra low reprojection is playable for me.

Enordash

I'm a bit late on the Raw Data discussion but I thought I'd chime in. I've only done the first two missions so far. The second one seems far more difficult with sword-bro because of the exploding bots and general wonkiness of the sword throw. Also, I have a really hard time seeing anything when it's so dark. There's a lot to improve, but so far I'm really enjoying the core gameplay.

I just got the Vive over the weekend. Is Holopoint as good as everyone says? I grabbed The Lab, VR Funhouse, and the Budget Cuts demo on top of Raw Data. Still waiting on the codes for the pack-in games.

I'm a bit late on the Raw Data discussion but I thought I'd chime in. I've only done the first two missions so far. The second one seems far more difficult with sword-bro because of the exploding bots and general wonkiness of the sword throw. Also, I have a really hard time seeing anything when it's so dark. There's a lot to improve, but so far I'm really enjoying the core gameplay.

I just got the Vive over the weekend. Is Holopoint as good as everyone says? I grabbed The Lab, VR Funhouse, and the Budget Cuts demo on top of Raw Data. Still waiting on the codes for the pack-in games.

Yeah, second level needs some tweaking. It's too much of a difficulty ramp up and I don't think you have enough tools to deal with what's going on that early. Especially considering the fact that the currency you earn to buy powers is extremely ramped up for early access.

On Holopoint: Yes. I was a complete doubter of that game until I played it. Prepare to sweat though.

If you're in to the bow & arrow stuff, also try QuiVR. There's a free demo right now that the dev is essentially using as early access so it gets updated every week or so with new features.

Sky Chief

Holopoint is great if you like the physicality of room scale VR. It's the most active VR game that I've played and will make you sweat. If that sounds like your kind of thing it's very fun.

Trials of Tatooine is short as hell, but still great. Having the Millenium Falcon land next to you was just great, and the lightsaber looked really nice. Deflecting blasters was fun too, somehow still a bit better than what you currently get with Lightblade VR.

Best part of it was when I tried to stab R2D2 with my lightsaber he backed out of my play area. The lightsaber deflecting was a bit underwhelming to me though.

I'm not a fan of Holopoint. I don't like how the bow works compared to The Lab, and the whole thing just feels really janky.

My sister absolutely loves it though, and I mainly bought it for her, so *shrug*

I'm not a fan of Holopoint. I don't like how the bow works compared to The Lab, and the whole thing just feels really janky.

My sister absolutely loves it though, and I mainly bought it for her, so *shrug*

Did you switch to 2 handed mode in the settings? That's more like the Longbow handling. The default is 1 handed. I know they did some tweaking after someone pinpointed and gave a pretty thorough explanation for the reasons why it felt off and why Longbow's doesn't.

Did you switch to 2 handed mode in the settings? That's more like the Longbow handling. The default is 1 handed. I know they did some tweaking after someone pinpointed and gave a pretty thorough explanation for the reasons why it felt off and why Longbow's doesn't.

I'll definitely need to take a look at this—I didn't change from the default. I'm away from my Vive yet again this week :(

The bow handling was far from my only issue with the game, though. It just feels generally thrown together / unpolished, which unfortunately is true for a lot of Vive games right now.

Enordash

Holopoint is great if you like the physicality of room scale VR. It's the most active VR game that I've played and will make you sweat. If that sounds like your kind of thing it's very fun.

Sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah, second level needs some tweaking. It's too much of a difficulty ramp up and I don't think you have enough tools to deal with what's going on that early. Especially considering the fact that the currency you earn to buy powers is extremely ramped up for early access.

On Holopoint: Yes. I was a complete doubter of that game until I played it. Prepare to sweat though.

If you're in to the bow & arrow stuff, also try QuiVR. There's a free demo right now that the dev is essentially using as early access so it gets updated every week or so with new features.

You are pretty much forced to use the sword throw on the exploding bots. Maybe they can change it so the two-handed attack disables the explosion or something. The drones are also some BS to kill with the sword (accidentally hit my ceiling trying to get one) unless you are just deflecting lasers back. The feedback on sword hits and deflects could be a bit better as well. I'm definitely excited to see how this game progresses though. The potential is there.

I'll definitely need to take a look at this—I didn't change from the default. I'm away from my Vive yet again this week :(

The bow handling was far from my only issue with the game, though. It just feels generally thrown together / unpolished, which unfortunately is true for a lot of Vive games right now.

It seems to be the case for a good bit of games I suppose. I'll keep my expectations in check.

SimplexPL

How is Holopoint "unpolished"? It works, does not crash, is not buggy as far as I noticed (played a few hours) - and it's regularly updated (e.g. lately in the dev branch).

SomTervo

Managed to get Wind Waker working with Dolphin VR.

Absolutely. Fucking. Mindblowing.

One issue, though: Right on Links body, around his head, there is always a tiny square. It looks like a dead pixel but it's actually rendered in-game. I think it's actually the sky box or the pause menu rendered way off in the distance. When you pause the game it must become the foreground.

For anyone wondering - I managed to solve this issue.

Right click on the game in DolphinVR. Choose 'Properties'. Click 'Hide Objects'. And I'd say tick the top two options - Remove HUD EFB Copy Box and Remove 16:9 Bars.

Absolutely perfect image with no artifacts in sight. Until certain temporary moments in-game.

Got into my first fight just a couple of hours ago. The combat in a 3D Zelda game feeling fresh for the first time in fucking years. The monsters are huge. The explosions and flashes look amazing.

Jesus!

Zalusithix

Well hot damn, I just had my best run in Audioshield ever. Beat my previous scores via style points back to back over and over again on various songs and was over 20-21k consecutive hits before finally missing one. I'll just blame it on fatigue and sweaty hands at that point. ;) Didn't want to rest a moment lest I lose the zen mode I was in.

TheRed

Holopoint is so good.

Trojan

Does everyone get a weird "smeared" image from their Vive display during the start of the Star Wars demo? When the black space background shows up, I get the same effect I do when no image is loading up, which is basically makes it look like I'm peering through a black mesh. Only happens with a black background.

Anyone else getting this?

Does everyone get a weird "smeared" image from their Vive display during the start of the Star Wars demo? When the black space background shows up, I get the same effect I do when no image is loading up, which is basically makes it look like I'm peering through a black mesh. Only happens with a black background.

Anyone else getting this?

White text (or any small object) on a black screen gets that effect. It's a byproduct of the lenses. It gets worse if your headset isn't correctly positioned.

artsi

Did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue.

Well, kind of... I found out it's the HUD layer that usually appears as a black box, or double image like that. I can adjust the distance / resize it (from VR settings), but I don't know how to make it disappear, lol.

Another problem I'm having is how the view seems to "reset" all the time when I turn my head. It's very juddery and no idea what causes that.

SomTervo

Did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue.

Well, kind of... I found out it's the HUD layer that usually appears as a black box, or double image like that. I can adjust the distance / resize it (from VR settings), but I don't know how to make it disappear, lol.

Another problem I'm having is how the view seems to "reset" all the time when I turn my head. It's very juddery and no idea what causes that.

I don't know what to do re the double-image issue, but I sorted out the 'reset every head turn' issue easily.

You guys know you can go into each game's unique settings? Right click on the ISO/ROM in DolphinVR and choose Properties. Look through the settings and you'll find loads of stuff to hid bits of scenery/objects, re-render the scene, etc.

Under Config, I think clicking 'enable Idle Frame Skipping' and stuff can really help with image stuff.

I'll post my settings later so y'all can test them. Basically get used to repeatedly shutting down and opening the game again while turning on and off particular settings. You'll find a sweet spot eventually.

The 'Disable EFB HUD' thing might help with the double-image issue. That's what I had to enable to hide a tiny floating skybox in the middle of Wind Waker's image. It was under 'Hide Objects' in the game's own Properties menu.

artsi

I don't know what to do re the double-image issue, but I sorted out the 'reset every head turn' issue easily.

You guys know you can go into each game's unique settings? Right click on the ISO/ROM in DolphinVR and choose Properties. Look through the settings and you'll find loads of stuff to hid bits of scenery/objects, re-render the scene, etc.

Under Config, I think clicking 'enable Idle Frame Skipping' and stuff can really help with image stuff.

I'll post my settings later so y'all can test them. Basically get used to repeatedly shutting down and opening the game again while turning on and off particular settings. You'll find a sweet spot eventually.

The 'Disable EFB HUD' thing might help with the double-image issue. That's what I had to enable to hide a tiny floating skybox in the middle of Wind Waker's image. It was under 'Hide Objects' in the game's own Properties menu.

Cool, thanks, I'll try to fiddle with that stuff.

If I can get it working well then DolphinVR will use so much of my time.

Lurch666

Wind waker is very nice.
Just can't seem to get past looking through the telescope at the start.Keeps saying about a red letterbox but it keeps disappearing when I look at it and I then can't get out of telescope view.

Yeah I like gun guy and have no fun with sword guy

Sword guy is actually a female cyber ninja, and is definitely not for n00bs. ;)

But seriously, Saija is for those who want a different play style (CQ vs ranged). She is def more challenging to playwith but oh so satisfying once the move set "clicks"

And one should not be buying a VR headset with the expectation of playing the same types of 2D games, but in VR. Having the option to do so is great but gaming in VR should be a new experience altogether and we should expect nothing less.

But seriously, Saija is a definitely a different play style (CQ vs ranged), and more challenging to play with but oh so satisfying once the move set "clicks"

Definitely. My coop-buddy has always used her and he's now a real ninja, zapping through the stage throwing the katana like a boss. And force-pushing robots.

Zalusithix

But seriously, Saija is for those who want a different play style (CQ vs ranged). She is def more challenging to playwith but oh so satisfying once the move set "clicks"

And one should not be buying a VR headset with the expectation of playing the same types of 2D games, but in VR. Having the option to do so is great but gaming in VR should be a new experience altogether and we should expect nothing less.

If only I had a taller ceiling in my play space. Throwing the sword upwards is a recipe for smacking the controller against the ceiling tiles in the heat of it. Makes it so the game only has one possible character for me to use, which is another reason I've more or less shelved it for now.

HTC Vive 2.0 coming before years end?

http://www.roadtovr.com/next-gen-htc-vive-may-be-coming-this-year-report-suggests/

This suggests a heavily refined HTC Vive will be released around the holidays. Company offered "no comment" but didn't outright deny the rumor.

I hate to be one of those people who complains "how dare other people be allowed to buy a better product then me!", but, well... I can't help it. If a new model gets released in less than a year, I'm going to be pissed.

Surely I'm not the only one? Seems like an odd move for HTC itself to make.

If only I had a taller ceiling in my play space. Throwing the sword upwards is a recipe for smacking the controller against the ceiling tiles in the heat of it. Makes it so the game only has one possible character for me to use, which is another reason I've more or less shelved it for now.

Here is my post on the /r/vive subreddit on how to best throw the sword, NEWB.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4t4gei/raw_data_tips_and_tricks_thread/d5erc3c

I hate to be one of those people who complains "how dare other people be allowed to buy a better product then me!", but, well... I can't help. If a new model gets released in less than a year, I'm going to be pissed.

such is the price you pay for being an early adopter. Rumor has it that it won't be a big departure from the existing headset. Lighter materials and better headstrap, same screen and innards. That said, I do get why people would be upset but again early adopter and stuff.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hate to be one of those people who complains "how dare other people be allowed to buy a better product then me!", but, well... I can't help. If a new model gets released in less than a year, I'm going to be pissed.

It really depends what kind of upgrade it will be. And I kind of doubt it will happen this year.

Metal B

Is this really an emotion, that exists in this modern world anymore? There is always something better "from the thing you just bought yesterday" around the corner, so what is the point of even caring anymore. We can hope, that the technology gets cheaper and we get more content.

Zalusithix

HTC Vive 2.0 coming before years end?

http://www.roadtovr.com/next-gen-htc-vive-may-be-coming-this-year-report-suggests/

This suggests a heavily refined HTC Vive will be released around the holidays. Company offered "no comment" but didn't outright deny the rumor.

Not too surprising - massive improvements to display/optics aren't likely this early and I doubt they will come in a first Vive revision, but there ample room for improvements to the design of the headset that warrant a new revision this early. I'd also take a controller redesign to make it more like Touch (smaller, lighter, more buttons and at least one stick) but that seems pretty unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom