• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

HTC Vive 2.0 coming before years end?

http://www.roadtovr.com/next-gen-htc-vive-may-be-coming-this-year-report-suggests/

This suggests a heavily refined HTC Vive will be released around the holidays. Company offered "no comment" but didn't outright deny the rumor.

I hate to be one of those people who complains "how dare other people be allowed to buy a better product then me!", but, well... I can't help. If a new model gets released in less than a year, I'm going to be pissed.

Surely I'm not the only one? Seems like an odd move for HTC itself to make.

Not too surprising - massive improvements to display/optics aren't likely this early and I doubt they will come in a first Vive revision, but there ample room for improvements to the design of the headset that warrant a new revision this early. I'd also take a controller redesign to make it more like Touch (smaller, lighter, more buttons and at least one stick) but that seems pretty unlikely.

I think a lot of things could be happening in the near future. HTC may find ways to make the units sleeker, cheaper and such as production and purchases start to scale. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a new Dev kit announced and given to developers early next year considering how quickly things are moving at the moment. I would also think that in particular for SteamVR, they must be at the point where they can start (or maybe already have quietly behind the scenes) properly having the tech standards ready for other manufacturers to get involved, so others may be showing up soon for which HTC will need to get competitive against

Metal B

Let's hope they finally shipping lighthouse sensors to third parties soon too.

seems good. if they can make it lighter (I assume that would be the goal) it would be a good thing.
Also great would be copying Sony concept and have it sit on the head like a crown. I heard, it is the best concept of all three devices.

Thing is, comfort is my biggest issue with the Vive. Don't really have any major problem with the optics. I mean, I'd like the optics to be better, but in day to day use, comfort is my main complaint.

If they can make it substantially lighter and more comfortable, that IMO is a BIG upgrade. Even moreso if headphones are built in. Getting my earbuds on alongside the helmet is super annoying.

Zalusithix

I dont think built in headphones is necessarily an improvement

A side step at best. They already pack in earbuds which can be routed into a permanent solution that's always there ready to be used and never in the way. Built in over the ear headphones would add little to the package, and potentially lose the ability to easily use your own.

Getting my earbuds on alongside the helmet is super annoying.
How are you routing them? Should be as simple as putting the headset on and plopping the buds in that are dangling next to your ear.

MaDKaT

I doubt it's 2.0 more like 1.25 with just better ergonomics and build in headphones.

That is what Im thinking. They will save the major updates for next year. Willing to bet this update will be focused on cost reduction and comfort. Lighter design, updated head straps/gear but no real update to optics or screens just yet.

Thing is, comfort is my biggest issue with the Vive. Don't really have any major problem with the optics. I mean, I'd like the optics to be better, but in day to day use, comfort is my main complaint.

If they can make it substantially lighter and more comfortable, that IMO is a BIG upgrade. Even moreso if headphones are built in. Getting my earbuds on alongside the helmet is super annoying.

In the timeframe that's being suggested, it'll absolutely be a design change, no way there will be improved high res screens etc, that'll just push the GPU requirements up again already, and that wouldn't be a good thing at the moment for shifting units and getting that install base higher.

Paganmoon

Let's hope they finally shipping lighthouse sensors to third parties soon too.

Also great would be copying Sony concept and have it sit on the head like a crown. I heard, it is the best concept of all three devices.

It really is, the PSVR is just so much better ergonomically. I'm really hoping there'll be a small Vive revision, with better ergonomics, and that they'll have the new strap/headmount purchasable separately and of course that it's compatible with the current one.

How are you routing them? Should be as simple as putting the headset on and plopping the buds in that are dangling next to your ear.

I just... plug them in. Is there a better way?

I've actually started just using my normal speakers a lot of the time, because of how annoying the headphones are.

"Can be used for any earbuds/IEMs assuming you loop and twist/zip-tie any excess cable at the top."

Alternatively, use Earbuds/IEMs that have a detachable cable and get a custom length short cable.

What headphones are recommended for the Vive?

I would like a nice solid noise-canceling set but a lot of times those come with a really long cable by default that you'd have to deal with. Can you buy decent headphones with like a 2-3 foot cable?

MaDKaT

I would like a nice solid noise-canceling set but a lot of times those come with a really long cable by default that you'd have to deal with. Can you buy decent headphones with like a 2-3 foot cable?

I dont have any headphones to recommend. I just picked up some decent (aka cheap) over ear headphones that have a detachable cable and use a 12" cable to connect them. New headphones will be in order when I figure out the welding mask headgear mod and what I will have for clearance.

Exuro

Look up ones with detachable cables. Then you can have a short cable for vr and whatever other length for your computer/music.

MaDKaT

So what can reasonably expect from an actual Vive 2.0? Just better Resolution, refresh rate + FoV?

Actual 2.0 as in not the update rumored for this year? Probably all of the above, maybe curved screens to go along with better optics.

Probably not 2.0 or even 3.0 but

phpvptqmh.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's also possible that if HTC do update the ergonomics they might make it available to existing users - the current kit is very modular and the straps are easily removable

It's also possible that if HTC do update the ergonomics they might make it available to existing users - the current kit is very modular and the straps are easily removable

Hopefully. The straps and face plate are my main complaints with the Vive. Any game that requires you to look down a lot is basically unplayable to me.

MaxiLive

I hope HTC keep invested and continue their current pace with upgrades, different skus and new updated headsets!

Always good to have more choice in the market :)

Hopefully. The straps and face plate are my main complaints with the Vive. Any game that requires you to look down a lot is basically unplayable to me.

I hope so too, and I agree that looking down sucks. I have to constantly adjust the headset (or keep is absurdly tight) in Out of Ammo, and that game only requires you look at a slightly downward angle.

I would sell my launch Vive and buy a more ergonomic one in a heartbeat.

SomTervo

Christ my girlfriend is on hour two of hosting a Hover Junkers server entirely by herself. She's started dominating the other players who initially were OHKing her.

I have never seen her play a shooting/gameplay-focused game this much ever. She hates games that are just shooting. And there she is, just ducking and shouting and shooting and fistpumping.

What an amazing thing.

Cool, thanks, I'll try to fiddle with that stuff.

If I can get it working well then DolphinVR will use so much of my time.

Yeah, Wind Waker has already become my most played experience in the last two days haha.

It's really amazing, even with the things its not designed for. The way cutscenes work can really mess with you.

Hey: I never posted those settings. Don't think I have time to do it properly, but here is the best resource I found to set it up

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4l2j2c/dolphin_vr/

I'm excited to try Resi 4, MGS: Twin Snakes, and Eternal Darkness. Doubt they'll work anywhere near as well, though.

TheRed

I still feel like my 1080 isn't working properly in VR and idk what to do. I've uninstalled reinstalled everything that I could think, closing processes. Turning off Overclock, turning on overclock. The fact is my gpu usage is always pretty low and the framerate and frametimes are horrible, even though the card does run at it's stable 2000 MHZ the whole time.

SomTervo

I still feel like my 1080 isn't working properly in VR and idk what to do. I've uninstalled reinstalled everything that I could think, closing processes. Turning off Overclock, turning on overclock. The fact is my gpu usage is always pretty low and the framerate and frametimes are horrible, even though the card does run at it's stable 2000 MHZ the whole time.

What issues are you experiencing?

Try the Steam VR Test again and see how it rates your computer's VR-readiness - might flag up any issues? I'm sure others here can help more than me, haha.

TheRed

What issues are you experiencing?

Try the Steam VR Test again and see how it rates your computer's VR-readiness - might flag up any issues? I'm sure others here can help more than me, haha.

Definitely doesn't, ran it again.
28385533836_37f3d548d7.jpg

The thing is that test was using like 98% of gpu and was cruising along at almost around 200 fps at times. Whenever I start a real VR game the usage is always in the 30s and is lucky to even reach 50 at times rarely so the framerate is also in the 30s and 40s. I've tried disabling reprojection and I have no frame rate limiters active on my pc. Wiped drivers and did clean installation of NVIDIA's latest driver multiple times. Uninstalled and reinstalled SteamVR completely and even Steam too.
The only time I can get 90 fps solid is when I lower settings enough that 30-40% of the gtx 1080 is enough to do that. Like Ultra low settings in Dirt Rally gives me 90 fps. The card still boosts to 2000 MHZ but just has low usage the whole time.

Starviper

I really hope you guys don't end up having to RMA anything.. I had a base station fail; one of the lasers went out in it. Sent it in ~ 2 weeks ago, been waiting 11 days since they stated receiving it and still there has not been an update.

I contacted their chat support today and got the following:

a1Ex3dN.png

They aren't able to provide any ETA. :(

Enordash

It really is, the PSVR is just so much better ergonomically. I'm really hoping there'll be a small Vive revision, with better ergonomics, and that they'll have the new strap/headmount purchasable separately and of course that it's compatible with the current one.

How would the PSVR design hold up when you are bobbing, weaving and looking all over like crazy person during, say, a game of Holopoint. I find the Rift to be more comfortable as long as you are standing perfectly still, but it seems like the Rift wouldn't hold up as well in the previous example. I don't have any Rift games currently that require this type of rapid movement so I can't say for sure.

How would the PSVR design hold up when you are bobbing, weaving and looking all over like crazy person during, say, a game of Holopoint. I find the Rift to be more comfortable as long as you are standing perfectly still, but it seems like the Rift wouldn't hold up as well in the previous example. I don't have any Rift games currently that require this type of rapid movement so I can't say for sure.

While not many Rift games require rapid movement, I've tried out moving around a lot more than required and the straps hold on fine. It doesn't shift around as much at the Vive when looking down as well.

SomTervo

Definitely doesn't, ran it again.
28385533836_37f3d548d7.jpg

The thing is that test was using like 98% of gpu and was cruising along at almost around 200 fps at times. Whenever I start a real VR game the usage is always in the 30s and is lucky to even reach 50 at times rarely. I've tried disabling reprojection and I have no frame rate limiters active on my pc. Wiped drivers and did clean installation of NVIDIA's latest driver multiple times. Uninstalled and reinstalled SteamVR completely and even Steam too.
The only time I can get 90 fps solid is when I lower settings enough that 30-40% of the gtx 1080 is enough to do that. Like Ultra low settings in Dirt Rally gives me 90 fps. The card still boosts to 2000 MHZ but just has low usage the whole time.

Man.

Maybe obvious, but do you have all other applications and extraneous processes turned off? Google Chrome and sometimes even shit like Skype/Spotify fucks my Vive experience.

It doesn't sound like it's related to that, though. Maybe try sending it back as faulty? Might as well try it if the card isn't working for you.

TheRed

Man.

Maybe obvious, but do you have all other applications and extraneous processes turned off? Google Chrome and sometimes even shit like Skype/Spotify fucks my Vive experience.

It doesn't sound like it's related to that, though. Maybe try sending it back as faulty? Might as well try it if the card isn't working for you.

I could but I don't feel it's the card's fault I've been playing tons of games maxed and some at 4K for hours and hours and it does exactly what it's supposed to. Hope the problem is some software issue that can be fix, unless there's something inherently different about VR that the hardware could be messed up at but I doubt it. The Vive is fine too, I don't remember much issues when running it on the 970, sadly I don't have the 970 anymore to compare it to. Only thing I can think of now is a complete reinstall of windows 10.

I did check there weren't any processes hogging resources too.
Unless my RAM speed is that bad at 1600 MHz

I changed my Render target up and down from 1 and 2 and everything in between. Kinda worked a little better at higher render target for some reason but still not good really.

Enordash

While not many Rift games require rapid movement, I've tried out moving around a lot more than required and the straps hold on fine. It doesn't shift around as much at the Vive when looking down as well.

I'll have to give it a shot sometime. My Rift setup isn't so great because my desk would block the camera if I were to crouch. I guess that's a little off topic here though.

I will say that one problem I'm having is the Vive cord getting crazy tangled up when I'm playing Holopoint and Raw Data. I did get through the second mission in Raw Data with the sword-lady though!

How was the reception on The Gallery? Sorry for all the recommendation questions, but I just picked this thing up!

TheJerit

I could but I don't feel it's the card's fault I've been playing tons of games maxed and some at 4K for hours and hours and it does exactly what it's supposed to. Hope the problem is some software issue that can be fix, unless there's something inherently different about VR that the hardware could be messed up at but I doubt it. The Vive is fine too, I don't remember much issues when running it on the 970, sadly I don't have the 970 anymore to compare it to. Only thing I can think of now is a complete reinstall of windows 10.

I changed my Render target up and down from 1 and 2 and everything in between. Kinda worked a little better at higher render target for some reason but still not good really.

That's so bizarre that at this point you may want to reach out to Steam/SteamVR support and/or your GPU vendor.

That second level of Raw Data is a bitch. Thought I finally had it beat today as the Gun Cleric until they unleashed like 6 exploding bots along with another 5 or 6 regular ones all at once. That shit is ridiculously unbalanced solo. I also find it annoying that any of the bots can withstand two hits from a thrown katana. Makes fighting the exploding bots as the Ninja ridiculous.

This might sound weird, but have you tried it with a second account? There was a note about a strange VR glitch related to how large your friend's list is on steam. Maybe try loading a VR game straight from the .exe or create a temporary account and game share with it to see if that fixes the issue.

TheRed

This might sound weird, but have you tried it with a second account? There was a note about a strange VR glitch related to how large your friend's list is on steam. Maybe try loading a VR game straight from the .exe or create a temporary account and game share with it to see if that fixes the issue.

Hmm that would be weird, thanks for the suggestion! Will definitely give it a try.

Paganmoon

I'd say it would work fine. It doesn't just rest on your head, it goes around back and holds you around your head as well. And since it's rigid, it doesn't move around.
I'd love to have the same design option for the Vive.

Wallach

Vive should get here today. Games I already have downloaded and ready to go:

* Audioshield
* The Brookhaven Experiment
* Budget Cuts (demo)
* Fantastic Contraption
* Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
* Job Simulator
* The Lab
* Pool Nation VR
* Raw Data
* Rec Room
* Space Pirate Trainer
* Vanishing Realms

I've also got most of the app stuff taken care of (Tilt Brush obviously, BigScreen, AltSpace VR, Destinations, Virtual Desktop, etc).

Anything else you guys think should be on the "must try" list? Was looking at The Gallery Ep 1, Cosmic Trip, Holopoint, Out of Ammo, and Fruit Ninja VR.

Question to people who use Steam more than I do (and thus have a sense for when/how often things go on sale)

I don't really have any interest in playing Raw Data until its officially released. Is it worth "preordering" the game now while the 20% off is still in effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom