• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to people who use Steam more than I do (and thus have a sense for when/how often things go on sale)

I don't really have any interest in playing Raw Data until its officially released. Is it worth "preordering" the game now while the 20% off is still in effect?
you can get it now for 20% off, later on release for (probably) 0-5% off, or after release for 20% off, or way way way after release for 80% off

the downside to buying now is that by the time you play it on release it will probably be past the window to refund it

you can get it now for 20% off, later on release for (probably) 0-5% off, or after release for 20% off, or way way way after release for 80% off

the downside to buying now is that by the time you play it on release it will probably be past the window to refund it

Sounds like I should buy it now then since I want to play it on release day. Thanks.

Question to people who use Steam more than I do (and thus have a sense for when/how often things go on sale)

I don't really have any interest in playing Raw Data until its officially released. Is it worth "preordering" the game now while the 20% off is still in effect?

You can't pre-order the game. You either buy it now at the discounted price and take part in the alpha and beta testing or you wait until it fully releases at a higher price point. There are sales happening ALL the time on Steam so if you wait it will likely go on sales again.

You can't pre-order the game. You either buy it now at the discounted price and take part in the alpha and beta testing or you wait until it fully releases at a higher price point. There are sales happening ALL the time on Steam so if you wait it will likely go on sales again.

That's obviously what he means, buy it now at the reduced price.

Yeah, what I mean is, I'm going to wait until the game is out of EA before I play it, so it's essentially a "preorder" of sorts.

Yeah, what I mean is, I'm going to wait until the game is out of EA before I play it, so it's essentially a "preorder" of sorts.

Yeah, usually the pattern is that it's going to be at it's lowest price during EA. At release it will probably not be on sale at all. Then it likely won't hit EA sale price levels again until one of the bigger Steam sales but, even then, there's no guarantee it will be discounted as much or even at all.

Enordash

Ugh this has put a wrench in my plans to pick one up next week.

To wait or not to wait?

I just bought mine this last Saturday. Join me. Don't wait :)

Edit: In all seriousness, the next thing is always around the corner. Don't stress yourself out about a revision that may or may not happen for months.

Ugh this has put a wrench in my plans to pick one up next week.

To wait or not to wait?

Go for it, it's worth it! IT looks like they're just updating some of the physical aesthetics, which I think are perfectly fine. I doubt they'll be doing any significant "2.0" level upgrades to the system hardware, like a higher res screen.

I know I shouldn't fret about a new model as it always happens but a cheaper one in 6 months would certainly alleviate the Mrs. concerns of the price tag.

I tried it out at MS store yesterday and Space Pirate Trainer was an absolute blast and I only played for 4 minutes. I wish we had more sources than just 1. If this was more widespread I'd be more likely to wait. Now the temptation is growing. I should have never tried it. Damn you Valve.

You can always wait as long as you want on any entertainment device, but if you've got the money and you want it, well...you have to jump in at some point.

You wait for Vive 2, then you wait for the price drop on Vive 2, then as the price drops they announce Vive 3, it never ends. Go for what you want. Then you can skip Vive 2 and get Vive 3!

SomTervo

Hey everyone. The Solus Project team have been battering away at the game's VR implementation,and just pushed version 1.02 to Steam.

Patch notes:

MAJOR NOTES
  • VR Inventory and crafting menu added for Vive and Oculus
  • PDA now has interactive buttons using the Vive
  • Possible fix for crashes or freezes on certain AMD systems
General
  • Fix for Messiah achievement.
  • Possible fix for the freezing, performance or audio issues on AMD systems
  • Updated Spanish, Polish, Russian translations
  • Fixes to non-translating words in all languages
  • Change in explorer diary to try and fix the incorrect number of reported items found.
  • Rare bug fixed where the sky and weather speed would become 0 forever. If you had this problem reloading your game with this patch should fix it.

VR changes to previous settings
  • Option for Sep Head removed due to not working well. The functionality is still there however for those who do want to use it, and it will continue to work if you had it enabled before. Can be toggled via the game.ini file HMDSepHead=False
  • Instead of Sep Head is the new option Use Vive Controller Rotation. When using Vive teleportation movement, the teleport destination will take over the rotation of the left controller instead of the camera. This used to be default on and is now default disabled! If you use a Walking movement mode, enabling this option will let you steer your walking direction by pointing the left controller, instead of turning your head.
VR
  • VR inventory added! Works for Oculus and Vive. Using head aim for now but we are investigating replacing with right controller aim on Vive in the future. Inventory also allows much easier crafting.
  • When using the Vive, the PDA changes model into a new model with interactive buttons you can press using the right controller!
  • On Vive, the PDA now also displays the oxygen and toxicity levels.
  • Added new option to take over the left Vive controller rotation for movement.
  • In VR can no longer cheat the first level by entering the caves without the long range teleportation device
  • In VR fixed wrong ladder teleportation spot when re-entering Landing Caves coming from Highpoint Caves
  • When playing VR with the keyboard, remember that F12 is reset position and tracking
  • Swimming improved when using teleport movement. Can now aim at the top of the water surface to allow for traversing over the surface instead of always diving. Might contain a few issues or bugs still but mostly works.

The VR future and known VR issues
  • Investigating adding controlling menus with the right Vive controller instead of head aim.
  • Further swimming improvements when using Vive teleportation
  • VR loading screens still.
  • Oculus Touch controllers are being considered for implementation.
  • Additional VR optimizations from Nvidia for GF1070/1080 cards are being investigated and considered for implementation.
  • Higher default resolution, but since the game is heavy and since you can tweak this freely yourself we consider this lower priority at the moment.

My role is all but done on the game but thought I'd better represent here!

If you have any questions, pop over to the OT, where I'm also going to post the patch notes.

Neverfade

The latest beta added the ability to spectate VR games via the Steam Link.

I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure how good it is, but I saw it in the patch notes.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Anyone else having issues getting a sharp image out of some more GPU intensive games? Trials on Tattooine and VR Funhouse are both super blurry, and not from wearing the headset incorrectly as the steam menus and other games are fine. GTX 1070 here so should be able to handle it. Makes seeing those blaster shots coming at me in Trials near impossible.

Durante

They released a patch for Raw Data which should fix the consistent periodic frame drop issue that I (and everyone with a large Steam friend list) was suffering from. I couldn't try it yet, but I'm looking forward to getting back into the game.

//DEVIL//

i have a problem with the Vive transmitters placement. .

my Computer is facing the wall at the ( X sign ) . where should i put the transmitters if i want to play both standing up or while on the chair playing a racing game for example ?

------------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
-------------------O---

O is the door for the room

Paganmoon

my Computer is facing the wall at the ( X sign ) . where should i put the transmitters if i want to play both standing up or while on the chair playing a racing game for example ?

------------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
-------------------O---

Bottom left and Top right should work, they've got a pretty wide field of view. alternatively Bottom right, and top left, but then you'd have some occlusion when getting close to the desk on roomscale (with your back to the door). so I'd say Bottom left, top right.

Durante

------------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
-------------------O---

Something like this?
A----------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
-------------------O-B

Of course, you'd need to close the door to play :p
Alternatively you can also put B to the left of the door, but then you might lose a bit of your room in terms of occlusion-resistant tracking:

A----------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
-----------------------x
--------------------xxx
----------------BxxOx

Paganmoon

Something like this?
A----------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
-------------------O-B

Alternatively you can also put B to the left of the door, but then you might lose a bit of your room in terms of occlusion-resistant tracking:

A----------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
-----------------------x
--------------------xxx
----------------BxxOx

I don't know, A would be occluded by the desk and monitor, when getting close on that side.

-----------------------A
-X---------------------
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
B------------------O--

This way, you get perfect room scale, and both A and B will also track seated at the desk due to their big FoV (unless the monitor is huge and it blocks the view).

Durante

I don't know, A would be occluded byt he desk and screen
That shouldn't really happen if it's far enough up on the wall I'd guess?

My idea was to get A closer to the common seated/standing position to have ever so slightly more accurate tracking there. But if there is any chance of an occlusion issue the top right/bottom left approach is better.

//DEVIL//

Bottom left and Top right should work, they've got a pretty wide field of view. alternatively Bottom right, and top left, but then you'd have some occlusion when getting close to the desk on roomscale (with your back to the door). so I'd say Bottom left, top right.

Something like this?
A----------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
-------------------O-B

A----------------------
-X---------------------
------------------------
-----------------------x
--------------------xxx
----------------BxxOx

if i go bottom left and top right, the top right will not be able to see the vive. probably the bottom left too probably wont see the vive as well because there is a shelf where i put my games on( its gaming room )

going bottom right top left can be an option but i wonder if the top left will be able to see the vive which will be directly under it. i will try that when when i go home. i dont want to put 2 holes on the wall just to find out its not working. wife will throw me out of the window

artsi

iRacing seems to get official Vive support in September. Very nice.

2Pv21YH.png

Lemonte

if i go bottom left and top right, the top right will not be able to see the vive. probably the bottom left too probably wont see the vive as well because there is a shelf where i put my games on( its gaming room )

going bottom right top left can be an option but i wonder if the top left will be able to see the vive which will be directly under it. i will try that when when i go home. i dont want to put 2 holes on the wall just to find out its not working. wife will throw me out of the window

Lighthouses have very wide fov I wouldn't worry too much about how you place them. My setup is quite similar to what you are planning and it works perfectly.
who wouldn't want a blue floor? TV is pushed to the side for maximum vr play area.

Wallach

Whew man. Been spending the entire evening playing the Vive that arrived today with my nephew.

Using the (now) empty room next to my office; just drilled a hole between the two rooms and ran a longer HDMI and USB cable through rather than moving my work computer. Breakout box is just on the other side, stuck against the wall about half a foot up from the hole.

We had an absolute blast. The two biggest winners tonight for us were the Budget Cuts demo and Raw Data for sure. Budget Cuts looks like it is going to be absolutely phenomenal. Raw Data has a bit of jank it in yet but is just exhilarating with how fast the action breaks down. I absolutely need to play Raw Data in co-op. We stopped on the second mission (seriously that mission seems a little overtuned for the second mission in the game on single player) to move on to other games, but I still really want to go back to it right now. It's also way more intense than I expected to get aggressively rushed by the rifle robots or crawlers. Saija's katana throw is just too much fun to use while dashing around the room; even though I moved the slightly hanging light in that room up against the ceiling I'm worried that at some point I'm going to chuck a katana at a flying drone and take it out for good.

Having this dedicated VR room worked out better than expected. I did run into a couple tracking issues tonight, but very minor and I think are just related to the white curtains that were probably blowing up occasionally far enough to block the left side of the base station in that corner. Will be replacing those this weekend I think.

Seriously though, hit me up for Raw Data co-op, or maybe Pool Nation VR this weekend.

Paganmoon

That shouldn't really happen if it's far enough up on the wall I'd guess?

My idea was to get A closer to the common seated/standing position to have ever so slightly more accurate tracking there. But if there is any chance of an occlusion issue the top right/bottom left approach is better.

But A in that scenario wouldn't be tracking the headset at all if seated at the desk, as it'd only be seeing the back of your head. Or it'd be very little tracking at best, and you'd rely on B to track most movement from the front.

elyetis

Spent some more time with Raw Data yesterday.

Definitely a good potential, but it's also pretty disapointing on many aspect. I mean it feel pretty good, even with it's current content it feel more complete than most VR game currently released.
But.... it's seems only balanced for 2 players, Saija ( melee character ) feel soooooo weak compared to the gun one ( and close to useless when there is the flying drones ), even with her telekinetic abilities. And with the way some of the ennemies work, is often not fun to play as her imho ( flying drones, rockets robots..).

Spent some more time with Raw Data yesterday.

Definitely a good potential, but it's also pretty disapointing on many aspect. I mean it feel pretty good, even with it's current content it feel more complete than most VR game currently released.
But.... it's seems only balanced for 2 players, Saija ( melee character ) feel soooooo weak compared to the gun one ( and close to useless when there is the flying drones ), even with her telekinetic abilities. And with the way some of the ennemies work, is often not fun to play as her imho ( flying drones, rockets robots..).
the only thing I can think of is to make her two hand sword a 1-2 hit kill on big guys and maybe then it would be worth it? gun saint is just so much easier

elyetis

the only thing I can think of is to make her two hand sword a 1-2 hit kill on big guys and maybe then it would be worth it? gun saint is just so much easier
Honestly I'd say she need a damage buff & she the ability to use her melee without putting herself too much at risk, even more so once you are against ranged enemies or the big guys.
I was thinking about a stealth ability on cooldown allowing her to fight them for a couple seconds without them aiming her; problem is that they would keep moving so not really a good answer for melee...
So maybe some kind of stun, maybe a dash like ability, or a passive based on the teleportation, like there is a small aoe stun effect where you tp ( then it's just a matter of balancing the duration and the cooldown ).

I dont want to put 2 holes on the wall just to find out its not working. wife will throw me out of the window

Have a look for something like these "Floor Ceiling Support Rod". I use two of these with some photography grips to hold the lighthouses/basestations and they are great. They take up minimal room and don't have a big footprint like a tripod would. I thoroughly recommend something like them and they're portable so you can easily take them down when required.

Have fun! :)

With the discussion above about room setup I wanted to ask about mine.

I don't have a Vive but I plan on getting one sometime here, but I know next to nothing about how I would set one up for roomscale, what would cause problems etc.

My "spare room" that I could use for it can be totally emptied. It has a closet on one side that would normally have hanging doors that have been removed, so it's just an extra open space that isn't quite full ceiling height, like this weird nook.

I thought it'd be cool to put the computer in the closet area and have a perfect rectangular area for the roomspace, no bumping into the computer. Something like this:

xaiY2ky.jpg

Would that work, or do the base stations need line of sight to something on the computer?

Even needing buffs, I think Saija is too much fun to play as. PITA when there's flying or giant mechs (srsly there needs to be more of a 2 handed buff), but it's ENTIRELY too much fun slicing robots.

Haemi

I don't have a Vive but I plan on getting one sometime here, but I know next to nothing about how I would set one up for roomscale, what would cause problems etc.

My "spare room" that I could use for it can be totally emptied. It has a closet on one side that would normally have hanging doors that have been removed, so it's just an extra open space that isn't quite full ceiling height, like this weird nook.

I thought it'd be cool to put the computer in the closet area and have a perfect rectangular area for the roomspace, no bumping into the computer. Something like this:

xaiY2ky.jpg

Would that work, or do the base stations need line of sight to something on the computer?

This will work. Only the basestations need to see each other when you are not using the sync cable.

Awesome, I was hoping a setup like that would work. I feel like it's pretty much ideal for VR, nothing you need to be conscious of in the playing area.

Paganmoon

xaiY2ky.jpg

That would work, the basestations only need line of sight to each other (actually, don't even need that if you use sync cable).

Durante

Awesome, I was hoping a setup like that would work. I feel like it's pretty much ideal for VR, nothing you need to be conscious of in the playing area.
Yeah, this will work really well.

I have the computer in a completely separate room with the cables going through the wall, but in a way your proposed setup is even more ideal in case something goes wrong and you need to access the PC outside of VR.

Even needing buffs, I think Saija is too much fun to play as. PITA when there's flying or giant mechs (srsly there needs to be more of a 2 handed buff), but it's ENTIRELY too much fun slicing robots.

Honestly, I have the exact opposite feeling. I don't think she's that fun to play with at all right now. I find headshotting robots point blank with the Gun Cleric so much more satisfying. Good thing we can choose.

Man, the heat is really killing my Vive enjoyment these days. It's not even that hot here, but I can wear it for maybe 5-10 minutes before sweat pours into my eyes. And that's playing Water Bears or Solus, not even games with physical activity involved.

Trouble

Banned
Man, the heat is really killing my Vive enjoyment these days. It's not even that hot here, but I can wear it for maybe 5-10 minutes before sweat pours into my eyes. And that's playing Water Bears or Solus, not even games with physical activity involved.

I keep a fan pointed in my general direction whenever I have the Vive on, even for seated games. I had switched to the narrow face pad because it gave me a nice snug fit, but it was making my face a lot hotter/sweatier so I switched back.

Durante

I just played Raw Data again (was waiting for the friend-related framedrop fix) and it's really amazingly fun in coop, especially playing with someone you know of course.

However, it does show two things clearly:
  • GPU hardware requirements for unwavering 90 FPS (no reprojection) with good IQ and contemporary graphics are just insane. I have a 1080, and if I don't want to drop below 90 FPS ever I can basically only play the game at 1.1 scaling and with reduced shadow/postprocessing settings. IQ increases significantly all the way up to 2.0 -- so basically the best current single GPU isn't even close to being enough to maximize IQ on these "low-res" first gen headsets. Sure, it's an indie game and unfinished, but neither of those changes the raw pixel pushing requirements all that much.
  • In the long run I really want full body tracking. Before playing a co-op game I was getting unsure on whether this is actually worth it, but no I'd happily strap some trackers to my legs/arms in order to get a better in-game representation.
    Luckily lighthouse is in ready for that in principle.

Paganmoon

I just played Raw Data again (was waiting for the friend-related framedrop fix) and it's really amazingly fun in coop, especially playing with someone you know of course.

However, it does show two things clearly:
  • GPU hardware requirements for unwavering 90 FPS (no reprojection) with good IQ and contemporary graphics are just insane. I have a 1080, and if I don't want to drop below 90 FPS ever I can basically only play the game at 1.1 scaling and with reduced shadow/postprocessing settings. IQ increases significantly all the way up to 2.0 -- so basically the best current single GPU isn't even close to being enough to maximize IQ on these "low-res" first gen headsets. Sure, it's an indie game and unfinished, but neither of those changes the raw pixel pushing requirements all that much.
  • In the long run I really want full body tracking. Before playing a co-op game I was getting unsure on whether this is actually worth it, but no I'd happily strap some trackers to my legs/arms in order to get a better in-game representation.
    Luckily lighthouse is in ready for that in principle.

Full body tracking would be really cool, though question is when something like that can be implemented, without making it a gimmick that only a few games use, will it be with a generational change of the VR platform? Cause I don't think we can get small iterations, at least with extra features, and have them actually catch on.

Regarding the IQ and processing power, I wonder if we'll see foveated rendering take off before we have GPU's able to push 90fps at higher res, consistently.
Thing that's been bothering me for quite some time is also that, as it stands, looking at most benchmarks, at 4K and high settings, say a game gets 40-50fps (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1714) at 1080p, it's not pushing 4 times the frames (usually only 3), even though, technically it's pushing 4 times the pixels of 1080p at 4k, of course, partially due to CPU bottlenecks, but even still, I get the feeling current GPU's are more designed towards 4k and bulk processing, rather than smaller amounts of pixels at a higher rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom