• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haint

Couple of really cool non-steam demos have come out the past few days.

GPU Cubes: an incredible interactive visualizer, seriously one of the strongest Vive experiences available. Immediate wow factor.

The Bellows: easily the scariest VR horror experience currently available on Vive, and not in a fake Youtube reactions way like all the other shit. Short demo, definitely indie, but will likely evoke PT style reactions out of even the most hardened and horror numbed.

derFeef

HordeZ got another neat update!
I can not recommend this enough for quick arcade like shooting action. It may as well be called House of the Dead VR

GPU Cubes: an incredible interactive visualizer, seriously one of the strongest Vive experiences available. Immediate wow factor.

The Bellows: easily the scariest VR horror experience currently available on Vive, and not in a fake Youtube reactions way like all the other shit. Short demo, definitely indie, but will likely evoke PT style reactions out of even the most hardened and horror numbed.

Scarier than Chair in a Room? Because that game is freaky as hell even to the people just watching it on the screen with me.

Zalusithix

It hasn't been confirmed that the one you buy will be the new thin one. It could just be the same fatty that came with the headset.

I've seen people claim that CS said the store one is indeed the old version. Not that I put much stock in a CS response, but I'd certainly not take the gamble. While an updated cable would be nice, it's nowhere near enough of a problem to risk buying a new one without a 100% guarantee of it being the new variant.

XShagrath

The scariest thing for me was the trackpad locomotion. Blech! It wasn't so quick that I got motion sickness, but it was a bit finicky and that breaks my immersion way more than teleportation.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be a seated experience, as I still do all my VR in room-scale.

kenmid

how do you play these games? i download them, do I need to used steam or what?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
It hasn't been confirmed that the one you buy will be the new thin one. It could just be the same fatty that came with the headset.

ahh I just figured since it looks like the title says 3-1 s oI figured you would get a 3-1 lol

they are self executables. you just get your headset ready and double click on the exe

Haint

Just start up SteamVR then double click the .exe's in the downloaded folder.

The scariest thing for me was the trackpad locomotion. Blech! It wasn't so quick that I got motion sickness, but it was a bit finicky and that breaks my immersion way more than teleportation.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be a seated experience, as I still do all my VR in room-scale.

I agree, the Vive track pads are absolutely abysmal for analog stick movement. That was a clear fuck up on Valve's part and I expect revised controllers will follow once devs start making use of the sticks on Touch. Someone's already suggested the dev tries point and click auto-walk and arm swinging though, they seemed very receptive. They don't want to do straight blink teleportation though cause it's such an immersion killer and I think they're right for a slow moody horror experience.

They don't want to do straight blink teleportation though cause it's such an immersion killer and I think they're right for a slow moody horror experience.

I know I've brought it up before on this thread, but this seems like exactly the kind of situation where WalkAbout would be appropriate.

Durante

Actually, SteamVR will automatically start when a program initializes OpenVR. No need to start up SteamVR beforehand.
I did have issues with initialization in some programs when relying on that. Though that was a while ago.

Also, way LTTP, but I also want that cable.

SomTervo

It was just the default song on repeat, and me being one with the universe.

*taking headset off*

image.php

Zalusithix

I did have issues with initialization in some programs when relying on that. Though that was a while ago.

Also, way LTTP, but I also want that cable.

The only time I've had issues with it recently is with testing my own code where I managed to cause SteamVR to silently error out and be unable to start up again - neither by the OpenVR init, or via the Steam client. Had to restart Steam to get it functioning again. That's all my fault though.

People using the PC in one room + Vive in second room w/ long extension cable setup, how do you go about demo'ing the Vive to other people? I feel like it'll be crap now because I won't be able to see both the person and what the person is seeing.

I was thinking maybe I could get a splitter for the Vive's hdmi? So I could just move my monitor when I have friends over, but not have to move my whole computer or run a second super long (and expensive!) hdmi cable between rooms? Or would that interfere with the Vive somehow?

Tain

People using the PC in one room + Vive in second room w/ long extension cable setup, how do you go about demo'ing the Vive to other people? I feel like it'll be crap now because I won't be able to see both the person and what the person is seeing.

I was thinking maybe I could get a splitter for the Vive's hdmi? So I could just move my monitor when I have friends over, but not have to move my whole computer or run a second super long (and expensive!) hdmi cable between rooms? Or would that interfere with the Vive somehow?

Is the Vive area out of wireless keyboard/mouse range? I have a TV in my demo space and use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, can't really imagine demonstrating it without.

Is the Vive area out of wireless keyboard/mouse range?

Yes. Well, it will sometimes work if I stand in just the right spot, but it's too inconsistent to be usable. :p

I have a small projector I can put/use anywhere as needed, the problem is getting a video signal to it. I don't want to buy or deal with an additional 50 ft hdmi cable.

I put the wireless receiver for the keyboard on an extension cable

Ah, I could do that. I have a relatively long usb extension cable (in addition to the longer one I use for the Vive) that would probably be good enough.

...this doesn't really solve my problem though. I'm not worried about being able to control the computer, I just want to be able to see both my friend and what my friend is seeing.

Ah, I could do that. I have a relatively long usb extension cable (in addition to the longer one I use for the Vive) that would probably be good enough.

...this doesn't really solve my problem though. I'm not worried about being able to control the computer, I just want to be able to see both my friend and what my friend is seeing.
oh, I run 2 25' HDMI cables, one to the vive one to the TV in the living room, both from the PC in my office. When im playing solo I only set up the one cable

Selling my Vive, it's been fun (mostly) but I'm just not using it as much as I thought. Going to definitely jump back into VR a couple of models down the road in a few years, when some of the issues have been ironed out and hopefully more fleshed out games/experiences are available.

Going to put the money I get back towards a drone and hopefully don't cause a plane crash.

Zalusithix

Selling my Vive, it's been fun (mostly) but I'm just not using it as much as I thought. Going to definitely jump back into VR a couple of models down the road in a few years, when some of the issues have been ironed out and hopefully more fleshed out games/experiences are available.

Going to put the money I get back towards a drone and hopefully don't cause a plane crash.
Maybe it's just me, but I see a drone as being an even more limited use case item that you'd quickly get tired of and leave to gather dust.

tokkun

That reminds me, did anyone make any Winamp-style music visualizers for VR yet?

Plane9 should be getting a Vive port some time in the near future. The dev has had a Vive for a while and the Steam version got greenlit in June. It's the best visualizer, IMO.

I agree, the Vive track pads are absolutely abysmal for analog stick movement. That was a clear fuck up on Valve's part and I expect revised controllers will follow.

Actually, I think this was a very purposeful choice on Valve's part in order to stop devs from being able to use joysticks for locomotion.

cakefoo

Actually, I think this was a very purposeful choice on Valve's part in order to stop devs from being able to use joysticks for locomotion.
Pointing and pressing a button/trigger is far superior to thumbsticks imo. It allows your head and legs to be decoupled.

Does anyone know of any games aside from Vivecraft that have that scheme?

edit: On another topic, I was told by the dev of GPU Cubes VR that the next version will have more features and be released on Steam, and it'll be called Psyia.

Haint

Analog movement in VR is bad for more reasons than it making players nauseous. It was the right move to leave them off.

Pointing and pressing a button/trigger is far superior to thumbsticks imo. It allows your head and legs to be decoupled.

Does anyone know of any games aside from Vivecraft that have that scheme?

edit: On another topic, I was told by the dev of GPU Cubes VR that the next version will have more features and be released on Steam, and it'll be called Psyia.

I'm pretty sure they've said as much either in interviews, tweets, or developer QA's, but an intentional mistake is still a mistake. The point you're missing is I'm not talking about first person locomotion. I'm talking about third person and anything else that currently uses an Xbone pad comfortably. For example you can imagine a future game that shifts scale or perspective for traversal of the game world (e.g. Lucky's Tale, Edge of Nowhere), but zooms in to first person room scale for things like combat or puzzles (perhaps swapping back and forth at the player's command). That's not something that can be done with the track pads, or rather it'd feel really horrible. Mythos of the World Axis is a tech demo that does just that, albeit on a limited scale (you don't do anything in first person besides sight see). Such a design is probably VR's best chance of delivering long format "traditional" games. A JRPG would be tailor made for such a system.

Depends entirely on the type of drone. If we're talking about a boring ass DJI Phantom, sure. Racing/freestyle multicopters are much more likely to keep one's interest than a Phantom (if they're not a photographer/videographer).

Has there been any recent developments with the Vive situation in Elite Dangerous? I'd love to use it instead of the Rift because of the simply better head tracking but I'm stuck using the Rift until Frontier improves the support. It would be great if some people at Valve would sit down with them to iron out the issues. It worked for Oculus.

dsk1210

Has there been any recent developments with the Vive situation in Elite Dangerous? I'd love to use it instead of the Rift because of the simply better head tracking but I'm stuck using the Rift until Frontier improves the support. It would be great if some people at Valve would sit down with them to iron out the issues. It worked for Oculus.

I was playing it last week with the Vive, just launch it from Steam VR.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I was playing it last week with the Vive, just launch it from Steam VR.

That isn't what he is referring to. Elite still has some rendering issues with the Vive.

I've put in 141 hours of Elite with the Vive. I just set my SteamVR SS to 1.8 and Elite to Ultra with in-game SS set to .65. That is fine for now.

Frontier claims it is going to be resolved but was a bigger issue than original thought. Can't come soon enough since it is a game I'm playing a ton of.

dsk1210

That isn't what he is referring to. Elite still has some rendering issues with the Vive.

I've put in 141 hours of Elite with the Vive. I just set my SteamVR SS to 1.8 and Elite to Ultra with in-game SS set to .65. That is fine for now.

Frontier claims it is going to be resolved but was a bigger issue than original thought. Can't come soon enough since it is a game I'm playing a ton of.

My mistake.

It was so jaggy that i ended up playing for only a little bit but I have seen people mention the SS in Steam rather than the game itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom