• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj00rn_

Banned
So yesterday I felt like the VR cover was making my face itch, so I took it off, put the HMD back on, and...Lo and behold; Larger FOV..!

Didn't think a piece of cloth would make a difference, but it obviously kinda does

taoofjord

Thanks man, this is very very helpful.

Just messed with Tilt Brush. Its amazing!

There's some really good stuff missing on that list... I'm going to compile one as well. For now I highly recommend checking out:

Budget Cuts (demo)
A Chair in a Room
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Paddle Up
TheBlu
The Pierhead Arcade
Unseen Diplomacy
Waltz of the Wizard

SomTervo

There's some really good stuff missing on that list... I'm going to compile one as well. For now I highly recommend checking out:

Budget Cuts (demo)
A Chair in a Room

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Paddle Up
The Pierhead Arcade
Unseen Diplomacy
Waltz of the Wizard

There's also some amazing stuff on the Oculus store and getting it to work on the Vive is really easy. I'll include that stuff in the list.

I haven't played the others but I can vouch that the bolded are incredible.

Chair in a Room is fucking scary though, tough going.

xJavonta

Banned
Tried the Vive a couple days ago and I'm sold. I need it.

I also tried PSVR and Oculus Rift before that. While the Rift was nice, the lack of motion control makes less engaging. PSVR's image quality was shit.

SomTervo

For those that have the Vive. Do you need to use headphones? Can you use a 5.1 home theater for 3d audio?

I can imagine it working in principle but it might really fuck you up that the sounds are 'far away'.

For instance a zombie standing right behind you grunting in-game might sound like it was 6 feet away IRL and could really mess with your sense of place/distance.

High-quality headphones probably the best option.

SimplexPL

You can't (with some exceptions, like Audioshield), because you move in a rectangular space, but the speakers position is always the same. So you would for example come near a speaker and you would think that the sound source is very close, but in fact it is not.
You would teleport a distance (and rotate the viewport) but the sound would always come from the same direction.

Tried the Vive a couple days ago and I'm sold. I need it.

I also tried PSVR and Oculus Rift before that. While the Rift was nice, the lack of motion control makes less engaging. PSVR's image quality was shit.
I'm afraid of this, I have a PSVR on order, but with the lack of good motion controls and the worry about the screen quality I'm debating cancelling

SomTervo

I'm afraid of this, I have a PSVR on order, but with the lack of good motion controls and the worry about the screen quality I'm debating cancelling

Unless previews closer to release suggest otherwise it's probably worth cancelling the pre-order and waiting to see what feedback is like once it's in the wild.

SomTervo

The value of PSVR comes from the exclusives,not its technical side.

In theory the lacking technology could totally limit the upper quality of experiences it could provide though. Like there are some poorly optimised Vive games that have pretty low res and it can be pretty fucked up to play.

Hopefully the break-out box will help a ton.

Enordash

If anyone does get around to trying Onward, I'd love some impressions before picking it up myself.

The lower screen door effect does help, but not enough to offset the notably lower resolution of the headset.

I'm interested to see the screen in the PSVR after trying the other two. Reducing the screen door effect sounds great.

SimplexPL

I read lots of previews/impressions of using PSVR, most were positive, many people were impressed, as they expected bad quality. Supposedly the SDE is almost non existant (1080p RGB display panel has in fact more sub pixels than Vive/Oculus pentile display), the image is soft/blurry but still good.
Hopefully sony will start offering demonstrations in shops.

Enordash

I'm picking it up but probably won't get to play it tonight. Impressions from Reddit are super positive though (minus some crashes and bugs here and there).

If I get some free time, I may just grab it and come back with some impressions. I'll look forward to yours either way.

Evo X

make sure you set to run as administrator for steam and revive..

Sadly, this did not help. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling ReVive again.

Go try out the Vive at either a Gamestop or Microsoft store near you then compare it to the PSVR demos at Best Buy.

That is what my friend did and he decided to go for the Vive.

Tain

Played more Raw Data last night and I'm starting to really dig it (now that there are data cores and a real failure condition, lol). Two minor things though: I wish it maintained framerate (I'm on Low with resolution at 1.0x on a 980 and it drags when things get heavy), and I think that having to grip to punch is really strange (it makes it so you have to drop a clip in your left hand when exiting "punch mode" unless you're on the Hold scheme).

I initially thought that teleportation seemed way too generous but I'll give it more time.

Durante

Did you already try the latest mission they added? It's pretty insane, I posted about it on the previous page.

And yeah, system requirements in terms of GPU are insane in that game, I basically can't go over 1.1 on a 1080 if I want to maintain 90 FPS most of the time even in battles.

UE4 forward renderer can't come soon enough.

I'm thinking about getting Onward, but I'm very concerned about the locomotion. I don't quite understand how it works, and I'm also pretty susceptible to locomotion-related motion sickness.

Anybody play it much that can give impressions?

But is that the image quality of the headset or the quality of the content being displayed? It sounds like Neo is primarily about having a better VR experience, so if you intended buying a Neo that may well be a part of the equation?

People trying out rift or vive are doing so on much more powerful hardware than the regular PS4

Also, do you want room scale? Vive is the only game in town right now - in theory its coming to Rift with some limitations with Touch and additional camera(s). But if you want room scale Vive is the only sure thing.

I'm thinking about getting Onward, but I'm very concerned about the locomotion. I don't quite understand how it works, and I'm also pretty susceptible to locomotion-related motion sickness.

Anybody play it much that can give impressions?
It's sliding locomotion. You'll want to build up some VR legs before you play it. It's why I'm not in a rush for it.

vermadas

FYI, from reddit:

The newest non-beta version of SteamVR is doing the same thing that the beta versions did, and wasn't fixed...for people who manually change their SuperSampling by editing the config file and putting in the following example line:
Code:
"renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.5,
if you then go into SteamVR options and change ANYTHING your value will often automatically be rounded up...from 1.5 to 2.0 in the config file in this example. I think merely playing some games will also round up the number. This will cause lower framerates and stuttering if your graphics card can't handle the higher SuperSampling value...I was hoping it would be fixed in beta before it went live but it looks like it wasn't.

Tain

Did you already try the latest mission they added? It's pretty insane, I posted about it on the previous page.

And yeah, system requirements in terms of GPU are insane in that game, I basically can't go over 1.1 on a 1080 if I want to maintain 90 FPS most of the time even in battles.

UE4 forward renderer can't come soon enough.

Haven't yet, I've only played a friend's copy twice now. Time for me to get it myself.

The UE4 forward renderer is in the latest preview build and seems nice, though it's missing some effects as you'd expect.

After this long I'm just not convinced "VR legs" are a thing, at least not for everyone.
why not?
I played X game (windlands) got dizzy and almost fell over repeatedly
I played it again tomorrow and could move, and only got wobbly when jumping
I played it again the next day and could play fine for about 15 minutes before any bad feeling started
I can play the game for ??? Without bad feelings now

Edit: you gotta be playing the game type that messes you up to learn to get used to it. If you're playing tilt brush daily and wondering why you're not used to Minecraft rift VR you're doing it wrong

why not?
I played X game (windlands) got dizzy and almost fell over repeatedly
I played it again tomorrow and could move, and only got wobbly when jumping
I played it again the next day and could play fine for about 15 minutes before any bad feeling started
I can play the game for ??? Without bad feelings now

Edit: you gotta be playing the game type that messes you up to learn to get used to it. If you're playing tilt brush daily and wondering why you're not used to Minecraft rift VR you're doing it wrong

I guess I've just had more of the Chet Faliszek experience than what you've described. Like you said though, I do tend to avoid games that I already know give me issues. Time will tell I guess!

Sky Chief

Over the last few weeks my Vive has been acting up. It goes to a gray screen all the time, particularly if I look down. Lately the controllers have been floating (not tracking properly and moving in game when there is no actual movement) too. I've turned off all camera functionality, all firmware is updated, tried using different USB ports, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, made sure cables in headset are tight, etc... What else can I do? It worked flawlessly for months but is now basically unusable. Who should I contact regarding troubleshooting / potential replacement?

Over the last few weeks my Vive has been acting up. It goes to a gray screen all the time, particularly if I look down. Lately the controllers have been floating (not tracking properly and moving in game when there is no actual movement) too. I've turned off all camera functionality, all firmware is updated, tried using different USB ports, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, made sure cables in headset are tight, etc... What else can I do? It worked flawlessly for months but is now basically unusable. Who should I contact regarding troubleshooting / potential replacement?
You absolutely sure both base stations are active? Every time I have that issue it takes me too long to realize that's the issue.

I finished Quar, and the conclusion elevated it from being an underrated gem on the Vive to what I would call a must-have...assuming you enjoy turn based tactical games. I know it's a little more divisive as a genre than others, some people don't have the patience for it or desire to play one in VR, and that's fine. But on the whole it's a great game.

Steam says I played for 8 hours and there's still a little more I'd like to do in it.

A couple other screens I took:

bisDAO5.jpg

I can't believe how lifeless this comes off in screenshots. In person this building felt so big and detailed and warm, one of the few lit areas on a nighttime battlefield.

Q8NbshU.jpg

An "action shot" of a battle halfway done. Some enemy tanks I blew up out there and quite a few other damaged vehicles belching smoke.

The first time I played this map, I lost. All you have to do to win is capture one of the flags on the other side (get a unit to stand there for one turn), but I had tried turtling up and letting them come to me like I'd done in the past. I just got slaughtered. Part of it may have been due to luck of the draw, they got some quick kills in on my units. Anyway, for my second try I decided to distract most of the enemy force with some powerful units on the right while I sent a squadron of speedy cavalry around on the left, which you can see in a big mass over there. It worked really well, in fact I almost wiped the enemy in the rush forward.

0XuAcNb.jpg

A ground level shot of the scene above beside a cheering heavy shotgunner. He was responsible for some of the carnage!

pj

Banned
Yeah, they are both on and I don't see a notification that they are losing sync

If you open the top down view in steamvr, are your basestations pointed directly at each other?

People have said it helps reduce problems and it seems to have made a difference for me. Could just be a placebo effect though. If you do rotate your basestations I think you have to close and re-open the overview thing before it will update the positions.

Also do you use any CFL bulbs in your VR space? I got a new lamp recently that sits below one basestation and noticed a fair bit of tracking loss when it's turned on.

Bad VR is bad VR. That's not VR legs

There are certain experiences that will make some people motion sick. That doesn't mean they are inherently bad VR. I really like virtual roller coasters and other stuff with lots of movement, and I"m lucky in that none of it makes me motion sick. Some people will always get motion sick from such experiences; other people may be able to adapt to them over time. But they aren't inherently "bad" IMO.

I really like how the Oculus Store has a "comfort rating" for the games it sells. Would be nice to get something like that on Steam.

Owari

I really wish Valve partnered with a better company than HTC. The horizontal light on my b lighthouse went out. What a crappy product.

Oh well, time to wait a month for a replacement. Thanks, Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom