• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melon Husk

Just got done playing "The art of fight" for 4 hours. Damned amazing once you get used to its controls. You "grab" the air and pull. Their is no speed cap so fake run with your arms as fast as you can.

You can also climb on any flat surface you can reach. So this means jumping through windows and snipers climbing to get good view of the map.

It is steep at $30 but assuming the dev keeps with updates im very happy with this game.

I leave with a story, I ran up to the defence area where the attacking team had brought their objective. I run in with no ammo and only a knife, with two people shooting at me.

I run between pillars zig zagging as fast as i can and run up and stab one of them. Took his gun and shot the other guy then hopped out the window. I have never felt so cool.

https://youtu.be/X3tAGn3fh4s

30 bucks for early access??? Value proposition's not so great, Minecraft and KSP cost me $10 each in their alpha phase.
edit: ditto for SSVR.

Speaking of Early Access, "Anyland" came out about ten days ago. It's extremely rough right now, but it might become the closest thing to "Dreams" on PC. They released "Manyland" a year ago which had the same idea in 2D. It was well reviewed so that gives me reason to believe they won't stumble right out of the gate. Still, I can't recommend it right now, but it's at least reasonably priced.

So I'm getting a Vive now. I loved the shooting experience of HordeZ but didn't like that it had auto moving sections. I loved the stand in an area and defend from different directions stuff. I especially liked the dark rooms and pop out scares.

But I'd also like shooting games similar to it, they don't have to be scary.

Any recommendations? Other than that I plan on getting Job Simulator.

Zalusithix

30 bucks for early access??? Value proposition's not so great, Minecraft and KSP cost me $10 each in their alpha phase.
edit: ditto for SSVR.

Minecraft and KSP could run on any computer and thus had access to a much larger potential audience. Any VR game made by more than a solo dev is going to take more than $10 to make a profit.

So I'm getting a Vive now. I loved the shooting experience of HordeZ but didn't like that it had auto moving sections. I loved the stand in an area and defend from different directions stuff. I especially liked the dark rooms and pop out scares.

Onward, in my opinion, is the greatest shooter on the Vive. But that's if you can handle the trackpad movement, but it's worth a purchase to at least try and just return if you cant handle it.

Raw Data is fun, but i found it to be pretty shallow in it's early days. It's since received a ton of updates and has a lot more content, might be worth a purchase if you prefer teleportation. It's also on sale right now.

Other then the the games are pretty early or shallow, Serious Sam VR looks good but i haven't tried it myself yet.

Gastone

So VR has become wave shooter central pretty much? What a disappointment.

Nah man. Although i find some wave shooters to be fun, like The Brookhaven Experiment and Raw Data, i´m also enjoying the likes of Audioshield, Vanishing Realms, Project Cars, EVE Online, Job Simulator, Budget Cuts and Call of Starseed.

Just picked up Serious Sam, I've been a huge fan ever since the first game so I'll be posting impressions when I get around to playing it. I won't be able to try it for a few days since I'll be out of town but I'll let you guys know what I think once I'm back and have some time with the game :p

Durante

Nah man. Although i find some wave shooters to be fun, like The Brookhaven Experiment and Raw Data, i´m also enjoying the likes of Audioshield, Vanishing Realms, Project Cars, EVE Online, Job Simulator, Budget Cuts and Call of Starseed.
Personally, I don't think Raw Data is really a "wave shooter", or at least it's not what people commonly associate with the term. Yes, it has wave-based gameplay, but e.g. the "Nuke Fusion" mission has a large area and requires good spatial awareness and fast traversal all the time in order to secure the various objectives (and to prevent you from being overrun).

Personally, I don't think Raw Data is really a "wave shooter", or at least it's not what people commonly associate with the term. Yes, it has wave-based gameplay, but e.g. the "Nuke Fusion" mission has a large area and requires good spatial awareness and fast traversal all the time in order to secure the various objectives (and to prevent you from being overrun).
its exactly what I think of when I think "Horde Mode"

its exactly what I think of when I think "Horde Mode"
Yeah, but when people talk about wave shooters in VR, they're not really talking about it as nebulously as a "Horde Mode". It's a more specific type of game we've been getting a lot where a usually infinite amount of enemy waves come at you while you're in a stationary position until you die from an ever increasing difficulty. Raw Data letting you move at all already sets it apart, then goes further with set levels, multiple characters (including melee based ones which is rare), and turret placement/management.

I realize that raw data has a lot going for it in comparison to others, but it still sits squarely in that exceedingly common VR game grouping of wave based games

Add in that im already completely sick of teleporting, and I just cant get into raw data. I havent tried since the last character though, so I'll be giving it another go

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've had the Vive for almost a month and am loving it. I do have a couple of questions about it that I'm hoping you fine folks might have some insights.

1) I find that after using the Vive my computer slows down a lot, even with Steam VR and Steam completely shut down. I'm not sure if it's CPU usage or RAM usage, I currently have a i7 4790k approx. 4.4 Ghz and 12 GB of DDR3 PC3-10700 RAM. Would changing to faster ram like PC3-14900 help any? The only way I've been able to get my computer up to normal speed is to Disable all Vive/HTC/Steam processes at Startup and Restart the PC each time I end a Vive session. Kind of annoying.

2) I admit I should have tested this earlier, but over the last few days I've been trying to set up the Camera to no avail. I turn everything on and no matter whether I double-click the system button or select the button on the Steam Dashboard, the camera doesn't do anything. When I do a camera test it's all red X's. I don't want to contact HTC if I can avoid it, esp. if it's just some stupid driver problem or whatever. Any thoughts?

Zalusithix

I've had the Vive for almost a month and am loving it. I do have a couple of questions about it that I'm hoping you fine folks might have some insights.

1) I find that after using the Vive my computer slows down a lot, even with Steam VR and Steam completely shut down. I'm not sure if it's CPU usage or RAM usage, I currently have a i7 4790k approx. 4.4 Ghz and 12 GB of DDR3 PC3-10700 RAM. Would changing to faster ram like PC3-14900 help any? The only way I've been able to get my computer up to normal speed is to Disable all Vive/HTC/Steam processes at Startup and Restart the PC each time I end a Vive session. Kind of annoying.

2) I admit I should have tested this earlier, but over the last few days I've been trying to set up the Camera to no avail. I turn everything on and no matter whether I double-click the system button or select the button on the Steam Dashboard, the camera doesn't do anything. When I do a camera test it's all red X's. I don't want to contact HTC if I can avoid it, esp. if it's just some stupid driver problem or whatever. Any thoughts?

1) Shouldn't happen. I have no idea what's going on with your system. When you close down SteamVR, what little CPU and RAM it uses should no longer exist.

2) Good chance that it's your USB port if you've never confirmed it working in the first place. USB3 ports in particular can have shoddy drivers that don't play well with the VR headsets.

RurouniZel

1) Shouldn't happen. I have no idea what's going on with your system. When you close down SteamVR, what little CPU and RAM it uses should no longer exist.

2) Good chance that it's your USB port if you've never confirmed it working in the first place. USB3 ports in particular can have shoddy drivers that don't play well with the VR headsets.

1) Hmm... I wonder if 12 GB isn't enough RAM or something or if it's a Windows 10 thing? I've heard a lot of processes run in the background? Whatever it is, it seems Vive is what drives it over the edge, as it doesn't have the issue if I restart the system and not boot VR.

2) USB3 is what it's plugged into, I guess I'll need to get a USB 2 card.

Zalusithix

1) Hmm... I wonder if 12 GB isn't enough RAM or something or if it's a Windows 10 thing? I've heard a lot of processes run in the background? Whatever it is, it seems Vive is what drives it over the edge, as it doesn't have the issue if I restart the system and not boot VR.

2) USB3 is what it's plugged into, though I thought it absolutely needed USB3? Cant' use USB2 right?

I had 12 gigs of RAM before I migrated to 48. Wasn't a problem for Windows use unless I had a boatload of browser tabs open. Testing it right now, between the startup and shutdown of SteamVR I see around a 400-500MB delta in RAM usage. That's nothing for a 12GB system, and shouldn't impact performance. Meanwhile CPU usage goes from 1-2% to 4-5% on my old X5670 @ 4.06GHz. Basically SteamVR should have a negligible impact on system performance while running, let alone when exited.

It doesn't really need USB3. It does if you want to use the camera at full framerate without choking the tracking data, but it'll run fine on USB2 otherwise. That said, all USB3 ports are not equal. Depending on the chipset behind them, they can have big differences on compatibility and performance. That's why it's often recommended to just skip the mobo's USB3 ports for one of the known USB3 PCIe cards.

Actually 1 and 2 might be related. It's a long shot, but it could be that USB3 driver is doing something screwy and degrading system performance. For shits and giggles I'd migrate it to a USB2 port and see if the problem persists. Certainly can't hurt to try at any rate. Probably will make the camera work at least (make sure to reduce the max framerate though).

RurouniZel

I had 12 gigs of RAM before I migrated to 48. Wasn't a problem for Windows use unless I had a boatload of browser tabs open. Testing it right now, between the startup and shutdown of SteamVR I see around a 400-500MB delta in RAM usage. That's nothing for a 12GB system, and shouldn't impact performance. Meanwhile CPU usage goes from 1-2% to 4-5% on my old X5670 @ 4.06GHz. Basically SteamVR should have a negligible impact on system performance while running, let alone when exited.

It doesn't really need USB3. It does if you want to use the camera at full framerate without choking the tracking data, but it'll run fine on USB2 otherwise. That said, all USB3 ports are not equal. Depending on the chipset behind them, they can have big differences on compatibility and performance. That's why it's often recommended to just skip the mobo's USB3 ports for one of the known USB3 PCIe cards.

Actually 1 and 2 might be related. It's a long shot, but it could be that USB3 driver is doing something screwy and degrading system performance. For shits and giggles I'd migrate it to a USB2 port and see if the problem persists. Certainly can't hurt to try at any rate. Probably will make the camera work at least (make sure to reduce the max framerate though).

Okay, I'll try that and see how it goes! Thanks for the help! :D

Zalusithix

Well I'm happy to say that Serious Sam VR doesn't have any controller latency issues like Raw Data. It also performs great despite the crap ton of stuff swarming you. IQ is fairly good at the default settings it stuck me at, and there's a ton of options to ratchet things up or down. Probably the most options I've seen in a VR game to date.

I'll have to play more of it to really form a solid opinion of the game, but first impressions are positive. It's less of a "wave shooter" and more "nonstop onslaught shooter" once things get going. ;) You're more or less forced to switch out weapons on the fly. (The game pauses/slows during the selection.) This is because ammunition is limited and you'll want to use whatever is most practical for the enemy type and numbers that are rushing you. Health, money (used to buy guns/ammo/health after a phase), and ammo parachute down from the sky and can be reeled in by shooting them.

On a side note, there is no way in hell this game would work as is with 360 shooting. It has totally been designed with 180 coverage in mind. Just covering that amount of territory is crazy. You can be simultaneously rushed from the entire 180 degree arc at ground level while at the same time having ranged enemies firing at you from elevated positions. (Projectiles can be shot down.)

I'll also mention that I suck at the game (on normal), but don't give a damn. Whipping out dual miniguns or rocket launchers to mow down a horde of rapidly advancing enemies is a riot.

SomTervo

Raw Data (lots of mobility), Brookhaven Experiment (no mobility). VR zGame but it's rough and very early.

Here's a thread for it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1278114

It'll be really interesting to see how this one goes. I have no idea what to expect.
I have no idea what the hell this is, but I will be installing it

Anyone else in here pick up a PSVR. I'm not really sure why I did other than to try more shit. For the price difference its not too bad. The tracking on the PS4 controller is pretty bad but the Move controllers arent nearly as bad as I expected. Nowhere near vive but still plenty playable. Though the games that use them best dont require as much precision like rush of blood and its dual shotguns.

However I feel like the head tracking isn't as flawless as the vive. I'm not sure how to describe it, but if I look down then turn my head up I get an ever so slight zooming effect like I pulled my head back as I pulled it up when I did not. Its jarring coming from the Vive and how flawless its tracking is.

Enordash

I have no idea what the hell this is, but I will be installing it

Anyone else in here pick up a PSVR. I'm not really sure why I did other than to try more shit. For the price difference its not too bad. The tracking on the PS4 controller is pretty bad but the Move controllers arent nearly as bad as I expected. Nowhere near vive but still plenty playable. Though the games that use them best dont require as much precision like rush of blood and its dual shotguns.

However I feel like the head tracking isn't as flawless as the vive. I'm not sure how to describe it, but if I look down then turn my head up I get an ever so slight zooming effect like I pulled my head back as I pulled it up when I did not. Its jarring coming from the Vive and how flawless its tracking is.

Is it a fair assumption that having both is a bit unnecessary? I currently have the Vive and Rift and plan to reduce that to one by the end of the year. I thought about the PSVR because of the comfort, but I'm guessing that I wouldn't use it so much due to the inferior tracking.

Is it a fair assumption that having both is a bit unnecessary? I currently have the Vive and Rift and plan to reduce that to one by the end of the year. I thought about the PSVR because of the comfort, but I'm guessing that I wouldn't use it so much due to the inferior tracking.
the comfort on the PSVR is completely overrated. It sits nicely on your head, but due to the way the main plastic strap comes around its basically impossible to wear any headphones other than earbuds. There is a lot of plastic as you push the visor close to your face, and you really want to get it close as it has light bleed that the Vive doesnt, so you end up with hard plastic against your face.

I definitely dont think its worth owning both, but I like my toys so idc. Thumper is a lot of fun too. Hoping for some better justifications from sony first party.

Tain

My GF got a PSVR and I've had a lot of fun with the launch lineup so far. It's great. The hardware's nice for the price, but obviously not up to par with the PC headsets.

When it comes to ergonomics, I put it roughly with the Rift (both above the Vive). It's a slightly more comfortable fit than the Rift, but the headphones continue to be a pain.

It all depends on how much you want the few exclusives. The hardware is inferior, but it's not like that's ever stopped a great game from being worth the time. I'm the kind of dude that keeps older consoles around for exclusives, though.

It sits nicely on your head, but due to the way the main plastic strap comes around its basically impossible to wear any headphones other than earbuds. There is a lot of plastic as you push the visor close to your face, and you really want to get it close as it has light bleed that the Vive doesnt, so you end up with hard plastic against your face.

Sounds worth the tradeoff imo. I use earbuds anyway.

The Vive is freaking uncomfortable.

Sounds worth the tradeoff imo. I use earbuds anyway.

The Vive is freaking uncomfortable.
I do a lot (as in most of my VR time) playing with friends trading off and discussing the experiences. Earbuds means everyone playing has to bring there own and we swap them every time we pass the headset.

And still my bigger problem is the hard plastic on the visor against my face. I also dont find the vive uncomfortable, nor do any of my friends

the TMO

Hi! We have made an update for Edge Guardian featuring a new enemy type!

e35d51a2d73333dc57ca30c81e608de7614a8fc0.png

You can check out the trailer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6Z1-o76Z8

The store page is here!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/518000

Updates

Added new Emitter enemy*
Added preliminary mixed reality support
Added wave counter on Hex

YouTube™ Video: Edge Guardian Update - V.0.1
Views: 73
A new challenger appears! Type-282 aka the Emitter! http://store.steampowered.com/app/518000 - Added new Emitter enemy - Added preliminary mixed reality support - Added wave counter on Hex - Fixed...

Fixes

Fixed leaderboard display flicker
Fixed enemies hitting player head and breaking combo
Fixed some minor enemy wave behaviour bugs

Warning
*Leaderboards will be reset @12am EDT because of the new entry!

Please let us know if you like the update and tell us if something doesn't works properly or needs improvement!

Enordash

I definitely dont think its worth owning both, but I like my toys so idc. Thumper is a lot of fun too. Hoping for some better justifications from sony first party.

Certainly not trying to put anyone down for owning both. I would have definitely had all three in my house if my fiance didn't move in, lol.

I'm incredibly excited to play back through Thumper once it gets PCVR support. I would have been extremely disappointed otherwise. I'm waiting impatiently for SUPERHYPERCUBE and I'm sad that we'll never get Rez.

Haines

Banned
Do have any idea or hints as to when gen 2 of vive would release?

They already have plans for new controllers and lighthouse right? So headset should be along as well?

Would fall of 2017 be too early?

RedFox85

So one of my lighthouses died.

Not really sure why but the tracking on it is failing miserably, discovered one of the lights not illuminating and the problem persists regardless of which side of the room it's on. Still waiting on HTC to send my return info.. it's been like 3 days. I am starting to have second thoughts about the build quality of this 800$ device, this isn't even something I have used every single day or for long periods of time.

Zalusithix

Do have any idea or hints as to when gen 2 of vive would release?

They already have plans for new controllers and lighthouse right? So headset should be along as well?

Would fall of 2017 be too early?

Valve designed the lighthouses and tracking tech. You shouldn't take what was shown at the Steam Dev Days as progress on HTC's end (Vive). Valve can easily sell the lighthouses and controllers themselves and let HTC work out their own versions.

Mind you, I expect there to be plenty of collaboration between HTC and Valve. I just don't think it's a good idea to use the things Valve showed as indicators of how far along a second gen Vive is.

Haines

Banned
Valve designed the lighthouses and tracking tech. You shouldn't take what was shown at the Steam Dev Days as progress on HTC's end (Vive). Valve can easily sell the lighthouses and controllers themselves and let HTC work out their own versions.

Mind you, I expect there to be plenty of collaboration between HTC and Valve. I just don't think it's a good idea to use the things Valve showed as indicators of how far along a second gen Vive is.

Gotchya. That makes sense. Im waiting til second gen hits to jump in, and i guess im just anxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom