• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario ff

Banned
Accounting is a pretty sweet job.

Spoilers (although writing it out of context makes no sense anyway)
I had a small bug with the little defender where upon picking it up it died in front of the small desk and every other defender that walked out of the suitcase would die upon colliding with it. Had a lucky break on the 4th one where the physics engine pushed out the stack of defenders tho.

cakefoo

There's the old thread. Not exactly an OT, but frankly OTs are kind of pointless for VR games given how fast they fall off the page.
There's actually enough conversation going on about individual games to warrant their own thread. It's just that people like to keep good content a secret. Yay megathreads.

Imagine if every one of these Accounting-related posts above me were just in the Accounting thread instead.

5 posts about Accounting in this thread since the last time someone posted in the Accounting thread.

That's how you kill Vive mindshare, by keeping everything in one thread where nobody will peek in.

Durante

Bah. I'm all for mega-threads, as it makes information easier to find for me. I hardly ever view the main forums and just use my subscriptions.
Well, then be informed that Accounting is absolutely hilarious and everyone should spend the ~30 minutes it takes to complete on it.

XShagrath

Well, then be informed that Accounting is absolutely hilarious and everyone should spend the ~30 minutes it takes to complete on it.
Oh, it's already downloaded and will be played next time I bust out the Vive. If someone hadn't mentioned it in this thread a month ago(?), I probably would have glossed over it when looking at the games on Steam.

Bah. I'm all for mega-threads, as it makes information easier to find for me. I hardly ever view the main forums and just use my subscriptions.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to make OT's though. There was that thread stickied at the top of the forum for like six months about how VR games should be treated just like other games, and not be confined to a handful of mega threads.

There's actually enough conversation going on about individual games to warrant their own thread. It's just that people like to keep good content a secret. Yay megathreads.

Imagine if every one of these Accounting-related posts above me were just in the Accounting thread instead.

5 posts about Accounting in this thread since the last time someone posted in the Accounting thread.

That's how you kill Vive mindshare, by keeping everything in one thread where nobody will peek in.

I can kind of agree with this. A lot of games out now deserve their own OT threads (Raw Data, Onward, etc). I think the issue is a combination of small relative userbase, the fact that so many of these games are early access, and the comfort of the megathreads.

(Raw Data, Onward, etc). I think the issue is a combination of small relative userbase, the fact that so many of these games are early access, and the comfort of the megathreads.

I don't think it makes sense to have an OT for stuff like Raw Data while they're still in early access. I know we've had Early Access OT's for some games, but usually only ones with particularly high user bases (to my knowledge).

I don't think it makes sense to have an OT for stuff like Raw Data while they're still in early access. I know we've had Early Access OT's for some games, but usually only ones with particularly high user bases (to my knowledge).

I think Raw Data has enough content to justify it personally, but yeah. A lot of early access games don't. That's one of the points I was getting at though. A lot of these games are early access, thus no OT. Then on the other hand, you have something like Out of Ammo which is officially out of EA, and yet still no OT (that I'm able to find at least).

Zalusithix

I think Raw Data has enough content to justify it personally, but yeah. A lot of early access games don't. That's one of the points I was getting at though. A lot of these games are early access, thus no OT. Then on the other hand, you have something like Out of Ammo which is officially out of EA, and yet still no OT (that I'm able to find at least).

It doesn't get much mentioning even in this thread either lately, so I don't think the OT would fare well.

It doesn't get much mentioning even in this thread either lately, so I don't think the OT would fare well.

Case in point. Out of Ammo is one of the more unique, content rich, polished experiences with both single player and multiplayer and yet the convo on it is almost non-existent here. I'd posit that a lot of that has to do with most of said convo already having happened here over months during it's early access phase. Once it hits 1.0, a lot of the discussion is mostly exhausted. It's kind of a conundrum. Like when Raw Data actually releases out of early access, will there be much more to discuss about it? We've been playing it and consuming new content for it for over 3 months already.

Durante

I seem to have missed most discussion of Out of Ammo entirely.

This short talk about it just now had me check it out on Steam. I see that it has a co-op tag, what does that actually entail? Is co-op available in the main game mode?

This short talk about it just now had me check it out on Steam. I see that it has a co-op tag, what does that actually entail? Is co-op available in the main game mode?

Pretty sure it does. I know it has it in the non-strategy mission modes.

You can do co-op in missions, which vary from a sniping mission in a tower to a rooftop heist where you hack a laptop. They're fun once or twice, but don't really vary much between plays.

The meat of the game (which can be played with up to 3 other people) is the tower defense-style strategy thing, where you place bunkers and towers to defend your base. You can click your soldiers and "be" them, using whatever weapon that soldier type has.

I like the game and put ~20 hours into it, but I was surprised when it came out of early access. I was expecting waaay more content before they hit 1.0.

Quick question for you guys. Is it normal to have a little bit of small image shifting (almost imperceptible) when you are standing still, or is that indicative of an issue going on?

I ask because I noticed that when I'm just standing around, the image will shift a little bit, as do the controllers. It's almost imperceptible, once you notice it it's hard to miss when you're standing still.

I am assuming that this is likely due to my base stations being placed too far apart, but I wanted to check whether my experience is normal, or if a proper set up would show a pretty rock-steady image. Also, is there anything other than the base station distance that could be causing it?

Zalusithix

Quick question for you guys. Is it normal to have a little bit of small image shifting (almost imperceptible) when you are standing still, or is that indicative of an issue going on?

I ask because I noticed that when I'm just standing around, the image will shift a little bit, as do the controllers. It's almost imperceptible, once you notice it it's hard to miss when you're standing still.

I am assuming that this is likely due to my base stations being placed too far apart, but I wanted to check whether my experience is normal, or if a proper set up would show a pretty rock-steady image. Also, is there anything other than the base station distance that could be causing it?

Jitter should be at a level where you have to be right next to something something to notice it. What values do you get when running the jitter test?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
zaccaria pinball on steam just added VR support. So far its pretty great, got basic functionality on my pincab controller but it supports vive controllers for flippers and nudging and plunging seated or roomscale.
15 dollar upgrade not bad since it works with all 38 tables.

XShagrath

Well get used to checking the forums, because NEW NEWS = NEW THREAD. That's how forums work.
I understand how forums work. I was around when "new news = new thread" became a thing and a community I was part of went down in flames. I get by with just a mention of things in the mega-threads just fine. I hang out mostly in community threads nowadays, so pretty much everything gets mentioned in passing at least, even if there is a dedicated thread for the news/game/whatever.

Sharpfish

the comfort on the PSVR is completely overrated. It sits nicely on your head, but due to the way the main plastic strap comes around its basically impossible to wear any headphones other than earbuds. There is a lot of plastic as you push the visor close to your face, and you really want to get it close as it has light bleed that the Vive doesnt, so you end up with hard plastic against your face.

I definitely dont think its worth owning both, but I like my toys so idc. Thumper is a lot of fun too. Hoping for some better justifications from sony first party.

Am an ex-vive owner, I loved most things about it but I had to admit in the end god rays and especially lack of comfort ruined it for me. Even my DK2 was more comfy. Rift didn't do it for me either (god rays and tint).

I now have PSVR and I've spent many fun hours in it already, I honestly believe the comfort is in another world vs the Vive. I've just had almost 3 hours straight in various games (Battlezone, Playroom + some 2D gaming on the cinematic mode) I stopped cos tired not because uncomfortable. I could spend all evening in PSVR, I swear I couldn't manage more than an hour in Vive, and that was pushing it, before I had to remove it to let me face breath/reset and give my face a rest. BTW cinematic mode actually looks BETTER to me than in VIVE due to lack of god rays as that kind of thing used to really annoy me in VIVE (like the song selection screens in Audiosheild where any white/bright gfx would cause the fresnel rings to show on the bottom - continually pulled me out of VR).PSVR may have less resolution but the lenses are also another league above VIVE, I honestly forget I'm wearing it. Have NEVER been so immersed in VR as with PSVR even on a jaggy fest like Driveclub VR( which is very NON jaggy upclose on vehicles - the open top cars when you look at the paintwork and seat material you can almost smell it - it's every bit as good a 'feel' as the best PC VR I've used - it's only lacking in the distance but no killer till Gen 2 - Vive certainly isn't perfect there either).

And I have to ask, what 'hard plastic' do you keep talking about on PSVR? there is no hard plastic on the visor part that you pull in, are you sure you even tried one? Y'see that part (Sony call it the scope) is as far from hard plastic as you could get, it's absolutely brilliant compared to vive/rift gaskets, light leak is a non issue, most of us play in dim rooms for PSVR anyway and I never even notice the gap as soon as I begin playing. The plastic you refer to is a very thin, but strong, flexible rubber that feels like the kiss of an angel as it touches your face. NO HARD PLASTIC. Also you can smile, your face can breathe etc and there is zero facial drag.

You comment leaves me puzzled as I'm sure anyone who's had Vive and PSVR would be, there are night and day on comfort.

Tracking I'll admit was amazing on Vive and average at best on PSVR (better than DK2 though even for the HMD part). Games on it are great fun, the whole system feels super polished, slick as **** and easy to move around games and the system and do whatever you need (much like Steam VR tries to do but often doesn't).

Anyway, I hoping for better ergonomics from VIVE 2.0 as I really don't want to go to facebook VR ;) but It'll have to be whoever gets close or beats sony on mounting/comfort as well as everything else as comfort is vital in VR. Without that it often becomes a PITA to even bother with no matter how good the tracking.

The resolution doesn't even look that bad (far better than I expected). Will be grabbing a PS4 pro to go with it on release to hopefully bump the gfx/super sampling/antialiasing in VR.

M_A_C

Is there a way to buy the VIve with steam wallet funds? I could sell a CSGO skin FN Howl. After getting a PSVR I kinda want a Vive.

Defect

Hey guys, I've been on a vr hiatus for a few months. I see Accounting came out so I'm ready to dive back in.

What other cool shit should I try? I hear Rec Room is fun.

Zalusithix

Is there a way to buy the VIve with steam wallet funds? I could sell a CSGO skin FN Howl. After getting a PSVR I kinda want a Vive.

Not that I'm aware of. The Vive is made by HTC and thus sold by them (and other resellers). The only hardware that Valve sells directly is stuff it makes.

It was basically like if Monty Python just yelled "fuck you" the whole time.

What's the over-under on how..."mature" it is? Generally when playing I put up an audio/video mirror for spectators, but if this is the kind of game I think it is based off my knowledge of Justin Roiland I'm thinking it is probably something you don't want visible/audible for any passerby. I'm a huge fan of Rick and Morty, so I definitely want to play it, but I've got a feeling it's not very suitable with a group of potentially offendable spectators.

Nope. The only way to do that would be to either sell the skin for cash (dangerous) or sell the skin for wallet funds, buy a bunch of games and try to sell the games here (in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread) at a slight loss.

The Steam Wallet can only hold $500 anyway, the last time I checked.

Zalusithix

What's the over-under on how..."mature" it is? Generally when playing I put up an audio/video mirror for spectators, but if this is the kind of game I think it is based off my knowledge of Justin Roiland I'm thinking it is probably something you don't want visible/audible for any passerby. I'm a huge fan of Rick and Morty, so I definitely want to play it, but I've got a feeling it's not very suitable with a group of potentially offendable spectators.

That feeling would be spot on. Do not mirror the audio out if you have children or people around that might be offended by profanity or not so family-friendly humor.

Jitter should be at a level where you have to be right next to something something to notice it. What values do you get when running the jitter test?
Thanks, I didn't know about the jitter test. From what I saw on reddit, normal would have been somewhere between 0.6 - 0.9 for max deviation, 0.16 - 0.19 for standard deviation, and max rotational deviation around 0.12. My results were 1.5 for max dev, ~.25 for standard dev, and max rotational deviation was normal.

In the end it the only thing that fixed it was repositioning the base stations to be closer together (I was trying to push the boundaries). Now it's closer to the stated max and the values are ~.75 for max dev, ~.18 for standard dev, and 0.9 for max rotational deviation. And I can tell the difference in the headset.

I think I got spoiled by the youtube videos of people pushing the base station distance much further than the stated limits. :)

kinggroin

Banned
I haven't laughed out loud like this from both authentically being tickled by well written humorous scenarios, and profound joy in how absolutely immersive it all was.

With how amazing the PSVR has been on a software experience level, I forgot what the technical advantages of the Vive afford it when given that same level of attention. The two headsets can feel a generation apart.

Fuck. Why don't we have "point and click" full length adventure games like this.

FUCK.

Hey guys, I've been on a vr hiatus for a few months. I see Accounting came out so I'm ready to dive back in.

What other cool shit should I try? I hear Rec Room is fun.

Rec Room, Onward, Serious Sam (if you like wave shooters - this is the most impressive by far), Art of Fight, Pool Nation, Gnomes and Goblins, NVIDIA Funhouse (not for AMD users obviously), and very soon Thumper.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Best of both worlds: create individual threads and then link them in the main thread people are already subscribed to.

Okay, a bit frustrated though perhaps it's user error. I bought two games via the vive port website. Then I go into VR and into the Viveport app, but I can't see how to launch the game... I see three buttons, including one called library, but I can't select them... Any help?

Edit: Figured it out. You have to launch the game from the Vive app on the desktop. Doesn't seem to work (yet?) in VR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That feeling would be spot on. Do not mirror the audio out if you have children or people around that might be offended by profanity or not so family-friendly humor.

I'd like a quick way to turn off audio/video mirroring from within the headset. Often not sure if it's on or off when you're wearing it.

Durante

The phone bit had me in tears. I know it sounds weird in the case of VR, but more games should try to overwhelm your senses like that.
When I was standing in the forest bit, holding that stump-shaped VR device with one hand and the phone to my head with another and laughing while trying to listen to the tree-dweller and phone screaming at me at the same time, I had to think about how this would look outside of VR (me standing there with one controller up to my ear and grinning like a maniac) and actually bent over laughing.

I'd actually pay for a longer-form humorous thing on the same level.

And I have to ask, what 'hard plastic' do you keep talking about on PSVR? there is no hard plastic on the visor part that you pull in, are you sure you even tried one? Y'see that part (Sony call it the scope) is as far from hard plastic as you could get, it's absolutely brilliant compared to vive/rift gaskets, light leak is a non issue, most of us play in dim rooms for PSVR anyway and I never even notice the gap as soon as I begin playing. The plastic you refer to is a very thin, but strong, flexible rubber that feels like the kiss of an angel as it touches your face. NO HARD PLASTIC. Also you can smile, your face can breathe etc and there is zero facial drag.
I dont have to be sure I tried one, I fucking own one
psvr_4.png
the nose piece rubber is just two flaps, if you push the visor close to your face as I do as its the only way I have found to remove most of the light bleed and get a good view into the lenses then the plastic behind the rubber and above the rubber pushes onto my nose and especially the bridge of my nose. After about 10 hours of use of the PSVR so far I find myself adjusting the headset far more often than the vive. The soft foam on the vive is just much better against the face. Light bleed is a big deal, I dont want my friends sitting in the dark. VR is a social experience in my house

Zalusithix

Light bleed is a big deal, I dont want my friends sitting in the dark. VR is a social experience in my house
Just out of curiosity, have you tried the other Vive nose piece? I suppose it wouldn't matter if the current one works well for you, but I found the alternative one blocks light bleed a lot better for the shape of my face. Pretty much all of my light bleed now comes from the gaps in the sides of the foam for glasses. As a wearer of glasses, I can appreciate those gaps, but my frames are thin flexible metal, so I'm contemplating adding a layer of foam to cut off even that bit of light.

I'd like a quick way to turn off audio/video mirroring from within the headset. Often not sure if it's on or off when you're wearing it.

Yeah, I'd appreciate it if only so I could quickly turn off audio mirroring when I realize my receiver is still on after donning the headset. Annoying having to walk back over to it with camera view enabled to find the button. (Since the lighthouses kill any chance of using an IR remote.)

Edit: On a somewhat related note, I wish we had the ability to fine tune the headset audio levels better. With sensitive headphones a little jump on the slider can make a substantial change in volume. Fine controlled movements of the slider are damn near impossible when pointing from a distance. I literally have to stabilize my one hand with the other when aiming for the volume level I want.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the other Vive nose piece? I suppose it wouldn't matter if the current one works well for you, but I found the alternative one blocks light bleed a lot better for the shape of my face. Pretty much all of my light bleed now comes from the gaps in the sides of the foam for glasses. As a wearer of glasses, I can appreciate those gaps, but my frames are thin flexible metal, so I'm contemplating adding a layer of foam to cut off even that bit of light.
yea I havent tried any others as I dont get any light bleed on the vive. The only reason I want to try the others is due to sweat

So I've had a couple of days with the skinnier version of the 3in1 cable and I really like it. It seems to "drag" on my head a bit less than the original and is looser in the headset straps. For example, there's no need anymore to pull up slack in the top strap when putting on the HMD. The biggest thing though is that it doesn't coil like the original. No more having to unfold the cable and awkwardly untwisting it before playing. Otherwise, not a whole lot of noticeable differences during play.

Durante

How does it act when you twist it then? I assume at some point too much twisting would still induce some coil at some point (or, worse, damage the cable).

Anyway, I want one.

How does it act when you twist it then? I assume at some point too much twisting would still induce some coil at some point (or, worse, damage the cable).

Anyway, I want one.

If you've ever handled a 1/4" audio cable (like for a guitar), it's basically like that (relatively same thickness). It can twist, but it's relatively thick and isn't all that prone to it. At least not nearly as much as the "flat" cable is.

Melon Husk

Needs more gore.

The intro and outro were creative and best parts of the experience. Half of what was in-between was crappy filler.

Random notes: Both controllers disappeared after a scene change and I had to switch them off and on again. Also I wish I could silence sounds to the right by holding a controller beside my right ear when I'm listening the call on my left ear. As a bonus that's like a new way you and the AI can interact.

Zalusithix

If you've ever handled a 1/4" audio cable (like for a guitar), it's basically like that (relatively same thickness). It can twist, but it's relatively thick and isn't all that prone to it. At least not nearly as much as the "flat" cable is.

Technically it's just as prone to twisting as a flat cable. The twisting itself is imparted by rotation while playing with the headset on and is impossible to avoid without a device on the cable allowing free rotation. (There's a term for them, but I'm drawing a blank. They're also rather expensive and bulky for the conductor count and frequency capabilities needed for HDMI+USB.) The only difference will be how the cable reacts to the twisting. The effects on a flat cable are immediately obvious. The effects on a round cable are largely invisible until the twisting gets to the point where the cable wants to coil. How the cable behaves at that point depends a lot on the materials and design.

Technically it's just as prone to twisting as a flat cable. The twisting itself is imparted by rotation while playing with the headset on and is impossible to avoid without a device on the cable allowing free rotation. (There's a term for them, but I'm drawing a blank. They're also rather expensive and bulky for the conductor count and frequency capabilities needed for HDMI+USB.) The only difference will be how the cable reacts to the twisting. The effects on a flat cable are immediately obvious. The effects on a round cable are largely invisible until the twisting gets to the point where the cable wants to coil. How the cable behaves at that point depends a lot on the materials and design.

Yeah, that's a good way to explain it. That's what I was trying to describe by the old cable "folding". The new cable does twist, but it doesn't fold like the flat cable which would significantly cut it's length and made it easier to get tangled in.

The real issue with the flat cable is that it only took a few rotations to meaningfully shorten the effective length of the cable. I imagine that's mitigated pretty significantly with the 3-in-1.

My play space is large enough to max out my cable length, so after not-a-lot-of-time playing, I can no longer reach one corner of my space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom