• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

(Now posting in the thread I actually wanted to post in :p)

Finally got to play Raw Data after the patch (got to wait for coop!), and it got significantly better again.

I love the new katana throw mechanics. Since you now have full control over the direction, the speed, and its movement while mid-air it's even more skill-based than before. I'm far from perfect at it, but you can pull off a great variety of moves with it now, from a slow "shield" in mid-air in front of you all the way to picking off drones at much larger distances than before.

It's still WIP obviously, I had a few collision detection snafus, but it's on a really good track now.

I haven't figured out the sword in Raw Data. You control it after releasing? I guess I'll have to try again. My arm was sore the next day when I first played.
Yes, you can control it after releasing it.
And in the latest version, you control both its direction and initial speed (and thus range) with the throwing motion.

Yes, you can control it after releasing it.
And in the latest version, you control both its direction and initial speed (and thus range) with the throwing motion.

Ah, ok I'll definitely try it again. Seems like most folks just want to play Gun Guy. That free weekend was more than enough to convince me I'd messed up by not buying the game sooner.

Durante

From our (rather extensive, Steam says 14 hours but it feels like more) co-op experience gun guy (Bishop I think) is clearly more effective overall. Sword girl (Saija) has a bit of a versatility advantage and cool situational skills, and her continuous damage output against a target that can take tons of hits is higher, but that doesn't completely make up for the disadvantage of only getting full utility at close range.

I love the playstyle though, zapping around, firing off the various skills, hitting stuff in the face with overblown gestures, getting sore muscles on the next day. Maybe not the last part.

Zalusithix

I'm kind of disappointed that they released the shotgun user before the bow one. Would have been neat to have gun, blade, and arrow represented.

So just got my Vive over the weekend and am loving it.

3 questions:

1. Is there a list of the top VR games out there for Vive (and Oculus, if they work with ReVive)? Also upcoming big releases to look out for?

2. How should I be correctly positioning this thing on my head?

3. I have a piece of the velcro that's attached to the strap where the glue is starting to come off of it. Is it best to just try and go to the store and get a new unit or is a replacement easily sent out by Valve/HTC?

Thanks in advance!

Durante

1. Is there a list of the top VR games out there for Vive (and Oculus, if they work with ReVive)?
We had a lot of such lists in the thread, just go back a few pages.

You can add Accounting to the list of free stuff you absolutely should try. Also, Portal Stories VR.

Durante

The new "Extermination" mission in Raw Data is ridiculous. I hadn't read anything about it before so I was really surprised by the mechanics. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's quite a change of pace :p

Also, the new shield tower is extremely useful. Almost too much so, I guess it will be nerfed.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So one this that has always kind of bothered my about my Vive is it fits snug most of the time, but when I look straight down, it kind of falls/pulls away from my face. I've tried to tighten it, to no avail.

Even more noticeable now that I've tried my PSVR since that headset nearly(but not completely) eliminates the issue.

Paganmoon

So one this that has always kind of bothered my about my Vive is it fits snug most of the time, but when I look straight down, it kind of falls/pulls away from my face. I've tried to tighten it, to no avail.

Even more noticeable now that I've tried my PSVR since that headset nearly(but not completely) eliminates the issue.

yeah, same issue here. But I think, it can be alleviated if you have the strap lower behind your head. But it's still nowhere near the comfort of the PSVR. I'm really of half a mind to take apart my PSVR and jerry rig the headmount to my Vive. Though it'll probably not work very well with the weight distribution.

SomTervo

The new "Extermination" mission in Raw Data is ridiculous. I hadn't read anything about it before so I was really surprised by the mechanics. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's quite a change of pace :p

Also, the new shield tower is extremely useful. Almost too much so, I guess it will be nerfed.

Yeah, I like that they're trying to make it about body-mobility rather than Shifting mobility :)

Me and my friend were pretty much screaming for three minutes straight and then died, haha.

Zalusithix

yeah, same issue here. But I think, it can be alleviated if you have the strap lower behind your head. But it's still nowhere near the comfort of the PSVR. I'm really of half a mind to take apart my PSVR and jerry rig the headmount to my Vive. Though it'll probably not work very well with the weight distribution.

Better off doing that with a welder mask frame that you can buy on amazon for cheap.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
The Golf Club VR dropped and its pretty awesome..IF you've played the original you'll not be surprised the graphics and foliage and shadows specifically has been greatly reduced. I wasn't surprised since it was a game that always struggled to hit 30fps on high settings.

The game play so far is fantastic tho. It only uses one controller, they let you set your default facing orientation to address the ball for room scale and left on the trackpad always teleports you to right position to hit the ball and the pin is always orientated for your chosen face direction.. This is prefect to ensure your not at the edge of your room space and turned to be facing your bigscreen tv( which just makes me shudder thinking about that happening.)

As well they added a wrist pda that your controller hand you lift and turn like your looking at the time and your wind/yardage/par/shot number info all pops up on your watch display. Its seamless and very intuitive.
You can pull out a coarse book that shows the yardages etc for the hole from your back pocket but I find that abit Janky.
RIght now it has 3 courses and a miniput but they'll add more soon and I think they're expecting once out of EA to allow all the TGC user courses.

Between this and Zaccaria Pinball I suddenly don't have enough free time for playing in VR vs having more time then content I wanted to play :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Golf Club VR dropped and its pretty awesome..IF you've played the original you'll not be surprised the graphics and foliage and shadows specifically has been greatly reduced. I wasn't surprised since it was a game that always struggled to hit 30fps on high settings.

The game play so far is fantastic tho. It only uses one controller, they let you set your default facing orientation to address the ball for room scale and left on the trackpad always teleports you to right position to hit the ball and the pin is always orientated for your chosen face direction.. This is prefect to ensure your not at the edge of your room space and turned to be facing your bigscreen tv( which just makes me shudder thinking about that happening.)

As well they added a wrist pda that your controller hand you lift and turn like your looking at the time and your wind/yardage/par/shot number info all pops up on your watch display. Its seamless and very intuitive.
You can pull out a coarse book that shows the yardages etc for the hole from your back pocket but I find that abit Janky.
RIght now it has 3 courses and a miniput but they'll add more soon and I think they're expecting once out of EA to allow all the TGC user courses.

Between this and Zaccaria Pinball I suddenly don't have enough free time for playing in VR vs having more time then content I wanted to play :)

sounds great. separate purchase or free if you own the game? Unfortunately I bought it originally on Xbox one and didn't get on with it much, so I don't know if I can justify the entry fee on a whim. Will keep an eye out for other impressions and videos though.

No issues with looking down when you address the ball? (hello ball). Vive always feels uncomfortable when I look down - it shifts and it goes very blurry.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Its a separate game..but its EA price atm was like 21bucks. Which I think is fair for this type of game.
No issue with addressing the ball so far, mostly only looking down low when putting but I haven't had an issue since I tend to crouch abit when I putt.

A slow long backswing with a smooth followthru seems to really improve distances vs trying to power thru the ball which is hard with no real club in your hand..I am playing on casual which has all kinds of aim assist going on ..but so far its like crack. I squeezed in 4 holes @ 730am before I had to leave for work :)

Tain

Thanks for the impressions, and oh damn I missed that Zaccaria Pinball had VR now.

Tain

K, Zaccaria Pinball standing VR version rules, but the touchpad-based nudging seems lame.

I'd love a grip-to-nudge option. It doesn't have to be anything advanced, just let me hold grip and give my hand a quick press.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
with some super sampling it looks really good, I'm surprised how much more I enjoy these 70's and 80's tables this way vs on my ipad and desktop
I use a pincab style controller so I have to use the seated mode to be able to line up the controller with the VR cabinet but it still lets you move around in room scale

Quick question. Is anyone familiar with an experience for the vive that places you in a historical setting or some famous landmark in history in an effective way? I am demoing for a friend and I think that would be the best initial draw.

Zalusithix

Quick question. Is anyone familiar with an experience for the vive that places you in a historical setting or some famous landmark in history in an effective way? I am demoing for a friend and I think that would be the best initial draw.

Hmm, if we're talking about historical setting, then Apollo 11 VR. It's rough around the edges but shows what's possible for the medium as a historical documentary. If we're just talking famous landmarks in the modern era then the some of the photogrammetry options in Destinations or Realities would probably be the best bet.

Edit: As for the welder mod, I should really get around to trying that. Not like I don't have a 3D printer to create the interface parts.

Helznicht

Try Google Maps VR street view

Its not OMG awesome as the res of the pics varies a great deal, but still really cool to just be able to travel to anywhere in the world.

Better off doing that with a welder mask frame that you can buy on amazon for cheap.
I tried that out myself recently and it is simply amazing how much it improves the HMD

Tempted to do this. I'm kind of surprised no one's come out with a slicker custom version of the headstrap similar to PSVR and sold it online ala the gunstocks. Especially considering how modular the headset is in general. Maybe the market is too small for the R&D/complexity of it though.

Helznicht

Makai

How does Raw Data figure out where the holster should be? I'm trying to implement a holster on my right hip and I'm realizing I have no idea where the body is. If I just make it move relative to the headset, it'll be on my stomach when I look left instead of my hip.

Zalusithix

How does Raw Data figure out where the holster should be? I'm trying to implement a holster on my right hip and I'm realizing I have no idea where the body is. If I just make it move relative to the headset, it'll be on my stomach when I look left instead of my hip.

Likely using IK with the hands and head to estimate torso position. By comparing the rotation and physical offset of the hand positions from the head position and rotation, you could get a rough idea of where the torso is. Comparing velocity/acceleration changes would probably allow you to fill in the blanks to a certain extent as well.

An actual torso tracker is really needed for gen 2 IMO. Would greatly improve IK, body interaction, and artificial locomotion.

Zalusithix

Or "good enough" markerless tracking to fill in the gaps between the accurately tracked controllers & headset.

I could see perhaps needing that in a worst case situation with camera based tracking where it could potentially get confusing identifying a bunch of independent tracking points. For lighthouse tracking though? Each tracking point is self aware. The tracking surface is quite compact. The power requirements are low. Why would you use anything else if you're already in a lighthouse field to begin with?

Crispy75

I could see perhaps needing that in a worst case situation with camera based tracking where it could potentially get confusing identifying a bunch of independent tracking points. For lighthouse tracking though? Each tracking point is self aware. The tracking surface is quite compact. The power requirements are low. Why would you use anything else if you're already in a lighthouse field to begin with?

Convenience. I don't fancy gearing myself up with belts and straps every time!

Zalusithix

Convenience. I don't fancy gearing myself up with belts and straps every time!

You'd still need to put stuff on for inside-out markerless tracking. I assume you're not referencing markerless tracking in that sense, but some sort of skeletal tracking via external cameras. It's possible to integrate that into the lighthouses by removing their dumb nature, but I'm not sure it's worth it given the fact that it'd be useless aside from a very rough idea of what's going on. Integrating stereo cameras into the lighthouses for depth calculation would also increase the size, cost, and power usage of the lighthouses which is exactly the opposite route that Valve is trying to go.

On a side note, it's also theoretically possible to use structured light analysis of the lighthouse's IR casts. The speed at which the sweeps happen though would require a stupidly fast camera to freeze the sweep in place many times over the course of the cast. Combined with the resolution and the light sensitivity requirements to pick up on the IR reflection at those extremely short exposure times and still create a useful depth map and you're left with something that's probably prohibitively expensive. Would be a pretty neat trick though given it'd work in complete darkness.

Played a little Art of Fight yesterday and it's pretty fun. Definitely has a lot of cool ideas. Has some janky parts though and the controls are a bit hard to get used to. Trying to dual wield from the start is more trouble than it's worth since it takes two free hands to reload, but you can pick up weapons off downed enemies with already cocked and loaded guns and dual wield that way. The arm swinging locomotion is pretty crazy and not totally sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it's a lot of effort to move, but on the other it gives enough control to basically dash in directions. For example, you can totally do an anime/Genji style sword dash with a katana (though I've only ever pulled that off in the lobby lol). It's also great for dashing around corners guns drawn. They added touchpad locomotion recently as an option too but it doesn't have as much control. But yeah, overall pretty fun. If you're looking for something more arcadey than Onward, it's a good one to get.

Evo X

Anybody using the Vive using a Mini DP to DP cable successfully?

I cannot get it to work no matter what.

I moved my setup to the basement home theater so I have my TV connected to my Titan X Pascal's only HDMI connection.

I ordered this cable from Amazon hoping to use the Mini DP port on the Vive link box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FE5QVS0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I keep getting Error 208 that my headset display was not found every time I boot SteamVR. Anyone got any advice?

I moved my setup to the basement home theater so I have my TV connected to my Titan X Pascal's only HDMI connection.

I ordered this cable from Amazon hoping to use the Mini DP port on the Vive link box.

I keep getting Error 208 that my headset display was not found every time I boot SteamVR. Anyone got any advice?
Yea, I had trouble with this, but noticed some irregularity in whether it'd work or not. Try not plugging the power into the Vive breakout box until you're in Windows. You may even be able to unplug the power and re-plug it while in Windows. An alternative is to plug the Vive in via HDMI first, then once it's working, change the cables over.

I believe it's got something to do with the DP ports booting incorrectly in firmware or something. I can't remember exactly.

Zalusithix

Assuming you're using DP to your monitor, you can try using a DVI to HDMI adapter for either the Vive or the TV. Although DVI technically shouldn't pass through stuff like audio, Nvidia does some nonstandard stuff so it's basically just another HDMI port in practice.

Anyone have any thoughts on when we may see a Vive 2? I'll be ready to jump into VR next March-ish and I'm hoping we'll see 2nd gen around then. Think that's a reasonable hope? I don't want to buy a first gen set in March only for a new unit to be announced a month or two later.

Makai

Anyone have any thoughts on when we may see a Vive 2? I'll be ready to jump into VR next March-ish and I'm hoping we'll see 2nd gen around then. Think that's a reasonable hope? I don't want to buy a first gen set in March only for a new unit to be announced a month or two later.
I think it's more likely they try to drive down price.

Zalusithix

I don't expect to see a true second gen until the tail end of 2017 at the earliest. HTC has been quiet and their main competition (Oculus) hasn't even gotten their tracked controllers out yet. Oculus isn't likely to push a new headset on the market shortly after asking existing users to shell out another $200, so there's no real rush for HTC to get a gen 2 out so soon. There could be a refresh with improved ergonomics and simplified electronics to reduce manufacturing cost before then, but that'd be more of a Vive 1.1.

In the interim I expect the controller prototypes that Valve showed off to be made available as an accessory to buy in H1 2017. I could be off on that prediction, but it makes sense given their ability to manufacture their own controllers in house on the scales needed for VR. It'd provide them with another revenue stream with relatively little risk.

Evo X

Yea, I had trouble with this, but noticed some irregularity in whether it'd work or not. Try not plugging the power into the Vive breakout box until you're in Windows. You may even be able to unplug the power and re-plug it while in Windows. An alternative is to plug the Vive in via HDMI first, then once it's working, change the cables over.

I believe it's got something to do with the DP ports booting incorrectly in firmware or something. I can't remember exactly.

Tried this. Sadly, it did not work.

Assuming you're using DP to your monitor, you can try using a DVI to HDMI adapter for either the Vive or the TV. Although DVI technically shouldn't pass through stuff like audio, Nvidia does some nonstandard stuff so it's basically just another HDMI port in practice.

I am using my TV as my monitor. That is why the HDMI port is taken. My GPU also does not have DVI, only 3 DP.

Yes, I was using that for a few months. Never had a problem getting it recognized, but audio worked only sporadically on the software side, so I eventually switched to HDMI.

Any recommendations on what I can do in this situation? Another cable or something for either my A/V reciever or Vive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom