• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxiLive

Tried this. Sadly, it did not work.

I am using my TV as my monitor. That is why the HDMI port is taken. My GPU also does not have DVI, only 3 DP.

Any recommendations on what I can do in this situation? Another cable or something for either my A/V reciever or Vive?

Maybe try a different adapter maybe the one you have is having issues with the bandwidth? Or use the adapter on the tv DP > HDMI then use HDMI for the Vive.

Zalusithix

I am using my TV as my monitor. That is why the HDMI port is taken. My GPU also does not have DVI, only 3 DP.

Wait, what? You said you had a Titan X Pascal. As far as I'm aware, there's only one version of that, and direct from Nvidia. It has 3DP, 1 HDMI on the primary slot and 1 DVI and the venting on the second.

SimplexPL

I have a weird isue with vive, which cropped up recently. I did not change anything in my setup.
I have my pc hooked to a TV using DVI-HDMI cable, and Vive is connected to HDMI port in my card (1080 MSI Gaming X).
Previously all was working fine since my Vive purchase in May. Recently I noticed that when I restart PC, I get a "no signal/pllease connect a cable" message on my TV up until windows loads (so I cannot multiboot, or enter uefi). During troubleshooting it turned out that the problem only manifests when vive is connected to the hdmi port. It is as if vive was "stealing" the boot screen somehow. But why? There was no problem for the past months and I did not change anything with my setup.

Did anyone notice a similar problem, or knows how to fix it?

Also, this looks promising: http://uploadvr.com/valve-atw-reprojection-oculus/

Why do most cards only have one HDMI, anyway? I don't need three god damn DP ports! Even outside of VR purposes, so many people have to get an adapter of some sort to get another HDMI.

Will a DVI-HDMI cable carry a 4k, 60 hz 10-bit signal? I have a TV coming and I'm trying to figure out what I'll have to do to keep my projector, Vive, and TV all connected simultaneously.

No idea, but I would not be surprised if it did not. Can standard HDMI carry such signal?
HDMI 2.0 handles it just fine, yeah. Any modern ("high speed") HDMI cable can carry the signal, too.
Could be due to royalty payment on HDMI ports and a lower rate / free for DP? Just a guess.
Hm, I wonder? In any case, it sucks. It feels like video card manufacturers are from an alternate dimension where HDMI died out and everyone uses Displayport.

Durante

I'd argue the problem isn't that graphics cards have so many DP ports (it's the superior standard), it's that so many devices are HDMI-only :p

Zalusithix

Why do most cards only have one HDMI, anyway? I don't need three god damn DP ports! Even outside of VR purposes, so many people have to get an adapter of some sort to get another HDMI.

Prior to VR, HDMI was pointless outside of hooking up to a TV. Monitors all have DP these days, and had DVI before that. How many TVs/projectors do you hook your PC up to simultaneously? The real question is why these PCVR headsets were built around HDMI. They should have been native DP from the get go. Any card that's VR capable has 3 or more DP ports. Unless they were worried about people running triple monitor setups not having a DP free. =P

Edit: I do hate the name of DisplayPort though. Seems so redundant to say DP port, but at the same time it feels odd to omit the 'port'.

It'd be great if devices were all DP going forward, I totally understand it's a superior standard. But they're not, so it would be nice if video cards more accurately reflected that. Cart before the horse and such.

Durante

It'd be great if devices were all DP going forward, I totally understand it's a superior standard. But they're not, so it would be nice if video cards more accurately reflected that. Cart before the horse and such.
Yeah, it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. 2/2/1 in terms of DP/HDMI/DVI would probably make more sense currently for most people, but it would not allow for e.g. 3-way G-sync setups.

I have a projector with which I use HDMI, a monitor with which I use a DVI to HDMI, Vive which I use DP to HDMI, and a Rift which I have to unplug my projector to use.

Yeah, it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. 2/2/1 in terms of DP/HDMI/DVI would probably make more sense currently for most people, but it would not allow for e.g. 3-way G-sync setups.

If only there were a bunch of different manufacturers, all with multiple versions of the same GPU, providing variation to allow us to pick what we need. Oh wait, they do and they all just put the same gosh damn ports on all of them!

im running 2x DVI and 1x HDMI on my main atm. Once i get a 1080 I'm not sure what I will do. Does Nvidia surround have any sync issues if I did DVI + DP Converted to DVI + DP converted to DVI?

Business

I have a projector with which I use HDMI, a monitor with which I use a DVI to HDMI, Vive which I use DP to HDMI, and a Rift which I have to unplug my projector to use.

If only there were a bunch of different manufacturers, all with multiple versions of the same GPU, providing variation to allow us to pick what we need. Oh wait, they do and they all just put the same gosh damn ports on all of them!

I need to switch the projector and VR HDMI's as well so I'd definitely welcome the next headsets using DP.

Any more impression frm Serious Sam VR? Is it worth the steep price? Since the special will end soon.

Graphically and performance wise it runs great. Gameplay is a little shallow. It is the same as most wave shooters, and has that Serious Sam feel with lots of enemies, but a lack of AI on them. I will say, I was impressed with how it looks on my 1070.

I've tried a PSVR and then a Vive over the weekend and I'm really glad I did. The PSVR was largely junk to me...and once I tinkered with the Vive, I walked away impressed. I'm not the target market, though, as I don't have a space for VR, a gaming PC, nor the money to sink into it and I ultimately don't see a lot of home uses for it. However, for those hot on the VR wagon, you definitely have a lot to look forward to with the Vive. I really liked it and want some big stuff to come for it so it does actually take off.

Zalusithix

Am I wrong to hope the Vive either drops in price or goes on sale somewhere this holiday?

It's not impossible. There's savings that could be had with updates to the internal electronics. Even without that, there's almost certainly room in the margins to have some level of price reduction. Outside of a possible hardware revision, it comes down to how saturated they feel the market is at the current price point and how they want to deal with Oculus' launch of the Touch. A price reduction at the same time the Touch launches could take some wind out of Oculus' sails.

So no, you're not wrong to hope. Just the same, I wouldn't go so far as to actually expect it or take it as a given. They could just as easily keep the status quo until the Vive 2 and then discount the gen 1.

In terms of a "Vive 2", what are the odds we see something like that announced or shown off in the near future? Even if it's just an ergonomics upgrade, or fixing the godrays issue?

I got a PSVR recently, and while it's a step below in tech and tracking, the games have still managed to blow me away. I still intend to buy a Vive were it to get a hardware revision though, while the PSVR tides me over until I build a gaming PC.

Zalusithix

Do new Vive units come with that fancy 3-in-1 cable everyone's been talking about?

I imagine it's a toss up. Since they're sending the new one for RMAs, they're very likely packing it in new sets. The thing is, there's no guarantee that you'll get a unit manufactured after the switch. Beyond that, it could also be influenced by where in the world you are.

pj

Banned
In terms of a "Vive 2", what are the odds we see something like that announced or shown off in the near future? Even if it's just an ergonomics upgrade, or fixing the godrays issue?

I got a PSVR recently, and while it's a step below in tech and tracking, the games have still managed to blow me away. I still intend to buy a Vive were it to get a hardware revision though, while the PSVR tides me over until I build a gaming PC.

My guess is 2018 for full new headsets.

Minor tweaks are possible but I don't think they'd include new optics and most upgrades (e.g. headstrap ) will probably be compatible with the current headsets.

I imagine it's a toss up. Since they're sending the new one for RMAs, they're very likely packing it in new sets. The thing is, there's no guarantee that you'll get a unit manufactured after the switch. Beyond that, it could also be influenced by where in the world you are.

Mine didn't :(

But who knows how long the one I picked up has been sitting in NewEgg's warehouse.

Hope I get lucky when I get mine then! I live in NYC so maybe in such a high population area they sell through them more quickly.

Kinda sucks they sold out of them on the HTC site.

kinggroin

Banned
HOLY SHIT I CAN PLAY RAW DATA EPIC SETTINGS WITH 2.0 SS ON THE SLIDER. BUTTERY SMOOTH.

Surely this can't be just because of ATW? Whatever it is, Ice never enjoyed the game this way. Felt like the most advanced thing I have ever seen in VR and made understand why Durante has such a hard on for it.

Multiplayer is actually fun when the framerate is smooth!

Tain

yes Yes YES

I'm so glad and I hope Valve is giving ASW a shot next.

HOLY SHIT I CAN PLAY RAW DATA EPIC SETTINGS WITH 2.0 SS ON THE SLIDER. BUTTERY SMOOTH.

Surely this can't be just because of ATW? Whatever it is, Ice never enjoyed the game this way. Felt like the most advanced thing I have ever seen in VR and made understand why Durante has such a hard on for it.

It possibly is. ATW is a big deal. Now for ASW!

Holy damn, ATW has made a huge difference in Raw Data. I can still detect the added latency from frame drops if I crank the SS up to 2.0, but I now find the game absolutely playable at 1.4. Fantastic update, so glad they finally got around to it.

Zalusithix

With my 980ti I notice no improvement with async reprojection in Raw Data aside from how smooth the headturning is. Reprojection is reprojection. If you can't reach 90fps native, you're going to get the reprojection artifacts, and I hate said artifacts on moving objects (hello hands). So yeah, I dialed the settings back down to what they were before in order to never see reprojection kick in.

Async reprojection is great for keeping the odd frame drop from stuttering the head's view, but it's not a replacement for raw framerate. I'm still totally in Valve's camp that reprojection is not a performance compensation tool, but a worst case basis fallback. Other stuff should be done to get the framerate to 90fps, and reprojection used to smooth out the wrinkles.

kinggroin

Banned
With my 980ti I notice no improvement with async reprojection in Raw Data aside from how smooth the headturning is. Reprojection is reprojection. If you can't reach 90fps native, you're going to get the reprojection artifacts, and I hate said artifacts on moving objects (hello hands). So yeah, I dialed the settings back down to what they were before in order to never see reprojection kick in.

Async reprojection is great for keeping the odd frame drop from stuttering the head's view, but it's not a replacement for raw framerate. I'm still totally in Valve's camp that reprojection is not a performance compensation tool, but a worst case basis fallback. Other stuff should be done to get the framerate to 90fps, and reprojection used to smooth out the wrinkles.

You did disable the old reprojection method as well right? By default both are on and don't really play well together imo.

Otherwise not sure what to say, but my 1070+i5 6600k @4.4ghz made 2.0SS/Epic (multires on 2, AA off) feel like a damn dream, and I'm very sensitive to performance anomalies. At worst, I'd see a dropped frame here and there, and there's always one dropped frame when loading the next wave...but this is a DRASTIC difference compared to even medium settings 1.0SS and the old reprojection system on.

And fwiw, I agree with you and Valve. But getting devs to optimize for 90fps on target hardware is a MUCH harder fight than solutions like these that, at the very least, alleviate motion sickness from headset judder. Hey at least we all have options, right?

Zalusithix

You did disable the old reprojection method as well right? By default both are on and don't really play well together imo.

Otherwise not sure what to say, but my 1070+i5 6600k @4.4ghz made 2.0SS/Epic (multires on 2, AA off) feel like a damn dream, and I'm very sensitive to performance anomalies. At worst, I'd see a dropped frame here and there, and there's always one dropped frame when loading the next wave...but this is a DRASTIC difference compared to even medium settings 1.0SS and the old reprojection system on.

And fwiw, I agree with you and Valve. But getting devs to optimize for 90fps on target hardware is a MUCH harder fight than solutions like these that, at the very least, alleviate motion sickness from headset judder. Hey at least we all have options, right?

I've tried both ways. Interleaved on or off, it just changes the way it handles drops. Frankly I don't see how you could go from having issues at 1.0 SS before to having none at 2.0 SS now. The game didn't magically get easier to render with the introduction of async reprojection. If your system couldn't pump out a new frame in time before, it wont be able to now either. Without a new frame, positions of things within the universe don't update, so while the head tracking is always smooth, the world itself updates at a lower rate and moving objects are subject to artifacting.

Edit: Basically this:
alexvlachosadvancedvrrenderingperformancegdc2016-27-638.jpg

Interleaved and async are still just rotational reprojection. This sort of artifact is super annoying to me.

Vlaphor

Can anyone recommend a cable or converter that will free up my HDMI port for the Vive?

It needs to support 4K 60hz 10 bit with uncompressed 5.1 audio as well.

Edit: Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B6ZOMIS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BQ8I54/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and it works great. I don't know about 10 bit, since my tv only does 8 at 4k, but everything else works amazing well. I had to keep my HDMI port open so I could get 5.1 out of my old receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom