• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

anybody tried out climbey ? it looks kinda cool

http://store.steampowered.com/app/520010

Messed around with the demo and then bought the full game to see what else it had to offer. It's simple, somewhat janky, and has horrible assets, but it can be fun. It's basically a roomscale first person platformer with a focus on climbing. Lots of (super-human) jumping which is done by making a motion like you're pulling yourself up with both hands, but like you're trying to launch yourself instead of climb. Some surfaces can be climbed, but others can't. Some are slick for footing, some are like trampolines. Platforms can move through the air to different parts of the level and require timing your jump. Levels can be designed to require crouching or even crawling through sections (no clipping allowed here). A limited number of checkpoints can be dropped for a respawn point so you don't have to do the entire level over again when you fall to your death.

I recommend people try out the demo since it's free and only tens of megs in size. I'm not sure the game itself is worth the asking price in its current state (the game will depend on mulitplayer and user generated levels to give it value), but the demo gives a good enough example of what to expect. More importantly IMO, it provides a glimpse at how a non-teleport, non-pad movement platformer might be accomplished.

Messed around with the demo and then bought the full game to see what else it had to offer. It's simple, somewhat janky, and has horrible assets, but it can be fun. It's basically a roomscale first person platformer with a focus on climbing. Lots of (super-human) jumping which is done by making a motion like you're pulling yourself up with both hands, but like you're trying to launch yourself instead of climb. Some surfaces can be climbed, but others can't. Some are slick for footing, some are like trampolines. Platforms can move through the air to different parts of the level and require timing your jump. Levels can be designed to require crouching or even crawling through sections (no clipping allowed here). A limited number of checkpoints can be dropped for a respawn point so you don't have to do the entire level over again when you fall to your death.

I recommend people try out the demo since it's free and only tens of megs in size. I'm not sure the game itself is worth the asking price in its current state (the game will depend on mulitplayer and user generated levels to give it value), but the demo gives a good enough example of what to expect. More importantly IMO, it provides a glimpse at how a non-teleport, non-pad movement platformer might be accomplished.

I enjoyed the demo but I really wish it had better assets. The game doesn't even have an art style beyond the player. It looks like it's in the grey box phase. I mean, I'm all for gameplay first but come on.

Zalusithix

I enjoyed the demo but I really wish it had better assets. The game doesn't even have an art style beyond the player. It looks like it's in the grey box phase. I mean, I'm all for gameplay first but come on.

Yeah, it's Generic Textured Blocks and Uninspired Skyboxes: the Game. To say that it is visually unimpressive is an understatement. Still, for as bad as it is on that front, VR mitigates it to a certain extent. You get the sense of scale and height for free in VR, and as such you can feel quite hesitant at first to let go of your generic block while hanging hundreds of feet in the air.

Durante

I'm wondering if it got pulled, cause I haven't recieved a SteamVR update in a while, and the button on the HMD still doesn't work for me to start SteamVR (I'm on the beta branch, rechecked yesterday).
You could tell rather easily by checking if you have the asynchronous reprojection feature. As far as I can tell the black level change was part of the same update.

Durante

I just got an email that ALICE VR was released. It's a "single player story-driven exploration game with puzzles".

main.jpg

It looks very interesting. Price is 22.99€, currently 10% launch discount. I'll probably get it when I get home.

It's UE4, I hope it uses the forward renderer but I don't expect it to.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Not sure how many play PinballFX2VR with Revive but its been improved as well.
revive 1.0 playtest is out with improvements due to ATW
on my 1080 i can set set ingame graphics to very high and 4x AA
I turned on Asyncronous but disabled re projection. I found if i make sweeping head movements I'd see some judder but with typical less exaggerated movements it was fine..but more importantly the table and ball animations and lighting was smooth which re projection ruins a fast moving ball . can't wait for native support.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I just got an email that ALICE VR was released. It's a "single player story-driven exploration game with puzzles".

main.jpg

It looks very interesting. Price is 22.99€, currently 10% launch discount. I'll probably get it when I get home.

Interesting. I hope it runs well in VR with my 980ti. I tried the Solus Project but had to return it as I could not get that game to run steady in VR even on the absolute lowest settings and zero SS.

E-flux

Windlands is pretty awesome, wanted to see if i would get sick from playing it so i cranked every comfort option off and disabled turning, other than getting wobbly knees from looking down when hitting the ground i have had no ill effects for 2 hours. If anything only ill effect is that Finnish narrator. Why did they choose a dude with a Finnish accent to narrate?

Durante

Interesting. I hope it runs well in VR with my 980ti. I tried the Solus Project but had to return it as I could not get that game to run steady in VR even on the absolute lowest settings and zero SS.
Well, in a way they are lucky to release it just after the asynchronous reprojection update, that should at least help a bit.

Paganmoon

You could tell rather easily by checking if you have the asynchronous reprojection feature. As far as I can tell the black level change was part of the same update.

I'm going to check when I get home, I should have it, as Steam auto-updates most everything, but considering my HMD button still doesn't start SteamVR I just assumed I hadn't gotten it.

Zalusithix

Does anybody actually use that button? It did nothing for so long, and has been intermittently broken since actually having functionality that I can't believe anybody has actually gotten into the habit of using it. Safer to just hit the VR button in Steam before walking over to the headset than risk having to walk back to the PC when the button fails.

main.jpg

Ouch, 100% negative reviews.

Hopefully we get some positive reviews.

kinggroin

Banned
Does anybody actually use that button? It did nothing for so long, and has been intermittently broken since actually having functionality that I can't believe anybody has actually gotten into the habit of using it. Safer to just hit the VR button in Steam before walking over to the headset than risk having to walk back to the PC when the button fails.

I LOVED that button

Durante

Hopefully we get some positive reviews.
"100%" is saying a bit much for something which has 2 reviews so far, and 1 of those is basically exclusively about a lack of a desktop game mirror window (I wonder if the poster knows that they can get that from SteamVR).

Not saying it is any good of course, just that there is hardly any basis for conclusions so far ;)

"100%" is saying a bit much for something which has 2 reviews so far, and 1 of those is basically exclusively about a lack of a desktop game mirror window (I wonder if the poster knows that they can get that from SteamVR).

Not saying it is any good of course, just that there is hardly any basis for conclusions so far ;)

Yeah, but usually the first reviewers are normally positive in my experience. I haven't given up yet i'll keep checking up on it to see if anybody likes it. Seems like something I'd be super into.

At least as something to hold me over until Obduction VR is finally out.

E-flux

Yeah, but usually the first reviewers are normally positive in my experience. I haven't given up yet i'll keep checking up on it to see if anybody likes it. Seems like something I'd be super into.

At least as something to hold me over until Obduction VR is finally out.

Has there been any word when Obduction vr is out? Other than "soon".

SimplexPL

"Production value: For all the hype I was again expecting almost AAA production value and this misses the mark for me and just does not draw me in."

Yeah, buddy, you were absolutely justified in expecting AAA production value from a 20$ game. Obviously.
Also, what hype? Was this game hyped anywhere?

"I literaly shifted my day around to play this game to give you an idea of how excited I was.. "

Looks liked he hyped himself to high heaven for no apparent reason and his self-created hypetrain crashed.

vermadas

RoadToVR reviewed Alice and wasn't very kind.

Cites scale issues, lack of comfort options, and...

And I should say that I’m not a delicate person in terms of simulator-induced motion sickness. I, like many seasoned VR enthusiasts, have ‘VR legs’. But that doesn’t make me bullet proof, so this is where the review (and the game) gets a little uncomfortable.

Remember that gravity-bending maze I mentioned earlier? Yeah. I’m not a fan. Plain and simple, I wish it weren’t in the game at all...

...If the mechanic were ancillary to game’s puzzles, I wouldn’t be nearly so miffed, but why a VR game would want to punish its players with a whole room of wall-walking pathways—making it a primary mechanic in the later half of the game—I just can’t understand. To be brutally honest, I had to get out of the headset and finish the level in PC mode. And that’s something I’ve never done.

Just got the Vive last night and wow is it fun. My only real disappointment was a little bit of blurriness, I was expecting it to be a little crisper. Even after adjusting the lenses it seemed a little too blurry for my liking, but it's really only noticeable when in the Steam VR menu (looking at the giant screen). I tend to forget about it in game and I was the only one complaining about it among my friends so it's probably just me.

The Lab is amazing, I'd gladly pay full price for a more fleshed out version. I probably spent the most time playing that with my friends. It really is the best introduction to the Vive. I think I liked the 3d scanned (or however the do it) locations the best. Looking down a cliff edge was a crazy experience since I don't really like heights.

The Visitor scared the shit out of my girlfriend who loves horror movies. She's convinced this is the future of the genre now.

On impulse I got A Fear of Heights, And Other Things after never hearing about it anywhere. I think it's a little fun game to show off VR to people. It's just a couple pretty simple scenarios: standing on a cliff edge, walls closing in on you, standing in a dark room with rats, jumping off a building and a few more. The presence is the crazy part about it, it's the only game so far to make me actually fall over haha. The graphics aren't the greatest, but for 99c I can't complain.

I'm going to get into the more meaty titles this weekend. Probably going to pick up Serious Sam, Job Simulator, and Audioshield.

SimplexPL

There was supposed to be a teleport movement system. Is it not available on release?

Well, if a site like RoadToVR criticizes a VR game then something must be wrong. They are gushing at almost every not horrible VR game.

On the other hand, there is a Polish review (game is by a polish developers), and motion sickness is not mentioned as being an issue. They gave it a 3.5/5.

They even praised driving with a buggy, as well as artistic vision. They said to not worry about inner ear, as there are comfort options.

http://polygamia.pl/alice-vr-recenzja/

Zalusithix

I think I liked the 3d scanned (or however the do it) locations the best. Looking down a cliff edge was a crazy experience since I don't really like heights.

If you like photogrammetry, then pick up Destinations and Realities. Both free, and focus explicitly on that sort of thing.

If you like photogrammetry, then pick up Destinations and Realities. Both free, and focus explicitly on that sort of thing.

Awesome, thanks! I definitely want more of that.

Are there any more good horror games? I saw Don't Knock Twice mentioned, but I was hoping for full games instead of a demo.

Zalusithix

Chair in a Room looks great, picking that up for sure. Somehow that slipped by me when I was looking through Steam.

With as much stuff as there is on Steam for VR, it's rather for something to slip by. I'm all for an open store front, but I admit Steam's ability to filter through everything is less than stellar to say the least. Hopefully the upcoming store changes improve the browsing experience.

RoadToVR reviewed Alice and wasn't very kind.

Cites scale issues, lack of comfort options, and...

And I should say that I’m not a delicate person in terms of simulator-induced motion sickness. I, like many seasoned VR enthusiasts, have ‘VR legs’. But that doesn’t make me bullet proof, so this is where the review (and the game) gets a little uncomfortable.

Remember that gravity-bending maze I mentioned earlier? Yeah. I’m not a fan. Plain and simple, I wish it weren’t in the game at all...

...If the mechanic were ancillary to game’s puzzles, I wouldn’t be nearly so miffed, but why a VR game would want to punish its players with a whole room of wall-walking pathways—making it a primary mechanic in the later half of the game—I just can’t understand. To be brutally honest, I had to get out of the headset and finish the level in PC mode. And that’s something I’ve never done.
Watching the trailers for the game, that's exactly what I was worried about when I saw that. The wall walking stuff didn't look fun or comfortable. That's too bad.

That's insane.. Even on a 980 Ti, you weren't able to run it?
Yeah, that's weird. I have a 980ti and it runs fine at like medium settings for me.

E-flux

Has anyone tried that Climby game yet

I played the demo and the climbing around was pretty fun, though the way you run and the lack of content keeps me from buying the game, it seems to be extremely bare boned and at least in the demo there's either only flat color textures or no textures at all.

Bio-Frost

Speaking of Accounting/weird humor, when looking through VR games on Steam last night I noticed there's a Rick and Morty game in the works. Dunno, when it was announced or if it has a release date but there's a trailer and you can throw it on a wishlist.

It was announced a few months back. Really cant wait for it!

Onemic

Yeah, it's Generic Textured Blocks and Uninspired Skyboxes: the Game. To say that it is visually unimpressive is an understatement. Still, for as bad as it is on that front, VR mitigates it to a certain extent. You get the sense of scale and height for free in VR, and as such you can feel quite hesitant at first to let go of your generic block while hanging hundreds of feet in the air.

How much of a sense of scale do you get? I know by default the first gen of HMD's limits this to some extent, but I've yet to truly feel like Im high up in any VR game I've played so far.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
That's insane.. Even on a 980 Ti, you weren't able to run it?

It "ran" but there was very frequent stuttering, esp. when turning my head to look around. I kept lowering the settings but it would still stutter from time to time. By the point stuttering became occasional the graphics were so blurry I couldn't see much anyway. orz

Zalusithix

How much of a sense of scale do you get? I know by default the first gen of HMD's limits this to some extent, but I've yet to truly feel like Im high up in any VR game I've played so far.

The focal distance from an eye accommodation standpoint is set at a fixed (non infinity) point, but aside from that there's no limits on how far away something appears in VR. Well other than the resolution limiting the ability to recognize things at a distance. I'm not sure what's causing the lack of scale for you, but the game has a free demo for you to judge for yourself.

Edit:
Thanks, this reminded me of another upcoming change - supposedly Valve is working on a new tutorial for VRgins, or improving the existing one. Sadly I do not remember the source of that. Has anybody else heard about it?
First I've heard of that. I never even did the existing tutorial though. I just jumped straight to The Lab proper after setup.

Durante

Talking about The Solus Project, it's currently on sale for 40% off.

If you are into the whole survival/exploration genre, it's probably your most complete choice currently available in VR.

It does have the usual UE4 issue of your only effective means of getting good IQ being supersampling, and that not being cheap at all hardware-wise. That's really the largest issue I have with it. It does show some amazing vistas and works quite well as an exploration game (as far as I can tell, I don't usually play the genre).
The asynchronous reprojection update might help with that somewhat, I haven't played it since that.

cakefoo

I just took a peek at Anyland, and a lot of people have played over 30 hours, several are even in the 100-hour club.

The first Youtube video I looked at in most recent uploads, a neighbor was showing off his remake from Accounting:

D5MRqZU.gif

Kind of busy right now but I'd like to check this game out tonight or within the next week. $11.99 seems way too low for LittleBigPlanet VR.

Really? That building scene in Oculus Dreamdeck, for example, makes me feel like I'm super high up.

Onemic

The focal distance from an eye accommodation standpoint is set at a fixed (non infinity) point, but aside from that there's no limits on how far away something appears in VR. Well other than the resolution limiting the ability to recognize things at a distance. I'm not sure what's causing the lack of scale for you, but the game has a free demo for you to judge for yourself.

Edit:

First I've heard of that. I never even did the existing tutorial though. I just jumped straight to The Lab proper after setup.

I thought depth is something that is limited in first gen HMD's? It definitely feels that way to me at least, and I remember devs I've talked to on steam saying the same thing. (i.e. looking down a 200ft building doesnt really feel like I'm looking down a 200ft building, but more like 30ft)

Maybe it's just the games I've played.

Zalusithix

I thought depth is something that is limited in first gen HMD's? It definitely feels that way to me at least, and I remember devs I've talked to on steam saying the same thing. (i.e. looking down a 200ft building doesnt really feel like I'm looking down a 200ft building, but more like 30ft)

Maybe it's just the games I've played.

Depth perception is a mixture of many things. The only thing that can't be emulated at all with current VR is eye accommodation. Basically the physical act of the eye adjusting its focal length depending on the distance of things. Without light field displays everything must be focused at one distance, and that distance isn't set for infinity in the headsets. Every other depth cue is possible, including the binocular ones.

jahepi

Hi Gaf, i just bought my Vive a few days ago and its coming next week, i am really excited, i feel like a child waiting for Santa.

So GAF, which games should i get, any recommendations?
Keep in mind that my PC is not that powerful (i5 4670, 970gtx, 8GB ram).

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom