• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can pick up the newly released
Crappy
Zombie Game too! A great looking new game with super low spec requirements.
Minimum:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce® GTX 980 Ti
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 1.5 GB available space

Damn, looks like I barely miss it on the RAM and on the CPU.

this might actually push back legit customers

Durante

Has anyone done some testing on asynchronous reprojection vs. asynchronous reprojection + interleaved reprojection?

I've only done a quick test, but to me asynchronous only seems like the better option. It might also depend on your hardware and what framerate you achieve / how often you drop frames in a given game.

kinggroin

Banned
Has anyone done some testing on asynchronous reprojection vs. asynchronous reprojection + interleaved reprojection?

I've only done a quick test, but to me asynchronous only seems like the better option. It might also depend on your hardware and what framerate you achieve / how often you drop frames in a given game.

Yes I have personally. Keeping both on yields no benefit in any game I've tried. In fact, most cases has it running worse.

Which is odd since both are on by default.

I took a little bit of gameplay when i played Windfall, I really like how the movement works in the game. It's probably my favorite vr game i have played to this point.

This looks really cool. I've bought way too many games in the last day but I threw this on my wishlist.

There's a minigame in Fear of Heights that's just swinging around buildings like spiderman that I really enjoyed. Glad to see there's a full game built around that kind of thing.

E-flux

This looks really cool. I've bought way too many games in the last day but I threw this on my wishlist.

There's a minigame in Fear of Heights that's just swinging around buildings like spiderman that I really enjoyed. Glad to see there's a full game built around that kind of thing.

The physics make it feel like you are swinging in low g, they are a bit weird to get used to. At first i didn't know if i liked it or not but after i got hang of the swinging it turned into a zen like experience. Some of the platforming can be a bit tricky if you play on the harder difficulty where you can only hook on to the leaves, the controls are a bit floaty and moving around with the trackpad thing isn't as accurate as i'd like. Also, the rope control keybinds are the best, the grip buttons control the length of your rope and it is much easier to control than the other control methods.

Samaritan

Oh cool! I was just complaining about this yesterday, but now you have me worried. I don't want to buy the old 3-in-1 cable again. This is definitely the new 3-in-1 right?

Just talked to an HTC rep who straight up said that it's still completely random whether or not you get the new style cable or not. He said it's based on which warehouse it ships from. So... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I've only done a quick test, but to me asynchronous only seems like the better option.

Both me and a friend of mine came to the same conclusion. Async only is night and day in games that can't keep consistently at 90 (in our cases, Project Cars and American Truck Sim). I'm not sure if there are any benefits to using interleaved at all any more.

Evo X

How do I adjust these settings?

Hey guys, stupid question: does using HDMI vs the DP port make any visual difference? Color depth or anything like that? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything by using HDMI.

dsk1210

Durante you mentioned you were getting perfect blacks now, what cable are you using? I am using a dvi to hdmi as I do not want to swap round my TV all the time.

I think the full and limited options in the Nvidia control panel might be making a difference here.

Zalusithix

Joke requirements or holy shit what did they code?
I'd say joke given the game's name, but why not a 1080 requirement then? Might just be the specs of the machine the game was developed on, and the dev used that as a baseline. Either way, I don't plan on wasting my money to find out.

Hey guys, stupid question: does using HDMI vs the DP port make any visual difference? Color depth or anything like that? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything by using HDMI.

The only thing you're missing are the potential complications that can come from using DP. (Complications that shouldn't exist, but alas.)

kinggroin

Banned
Durante you mentioned you were getting perfect blacks now, what cable are you using? I am using a dvi to hdmi as I do not want to swap round my TV all the time.

I think the full and limited options in the Nvidia control panel might be making a difference here.

I've never messed with that range in the CP. The SteamVR beta is what caused it. Jump to that branch and you can see it for yourself in anything that has black levels reaching 0.

I'm not Durante, but maybe this helps you

Whew that Bullet Sorrow demo is insane, prob the most satisfying shooter I've played on Vive so far. Granted there aren't many options but this nails the haptics and the bullet time is icing on the cake, you really feel like a badass mowing down soldiers with the uzis. Performance was kind of rough on my 970 but didn't actually detract too much now that ATW is a thing for SteamVR. Kind of odd seeing how smooth rotational holds up while everything around you lags to hell :lol

Def nice having that enabled as I didn't get any sickness. Fingers crossed their variant of ASW comes out in the not too distant future.

M_A_C

I'd say joke given the game's name, but why not a 1080 requirement then? Might just be the specs of the machine the game was developed on, and the dev used that as a baseline. Either way, I don't plan on wasting my money to find out.

The only thing you're missing are the potential complications that can come from using DP. (Complications that shouldn't exist, but alas.)

What Complications? I just got a Vive and using the DP.

dsk1210

I've never messed with that range in the CP. The SteamVR beta is what caused it. Jump to that branch and you can see it for yourself in anything that has black levels reaching 0.

I'm not Durante, but maybe this helps you

Thanks man I had remembered you talking about it as well.

I don't think the beta is working properly for me anyway, the blacks are the same and I can not see an option for asynchronous reprojection.

Cheers though.

Durante

I don't think it has anything to do with the cable or the driver settings. It was clearly caused by the latest SteamVR beta.

What Complications? I just got a Vive and using the DP.
Some people have trouble getting audio to work reliably over DP.

I have to echo what everyone else said regarding asynchronous reprojection, it definitely performs worse with interleaved reprojection on as well, at least in games where performance is already sketchy in VR (Project CARS, for example).

SimplexPL

I guess these two reprojections somehow conflict with each other - I wonder why valve didn't made the choice mutually exclusive.

Whew that Bullet Sorrow demo is insane, prob the most satisfying shooter I've played on Vive so far. Granted there aren't many options but this nails the haptics and the bullet time is icing on the cake, you really feel like a badass mowing down soldiers with the uzis.

Yep, it's awesome. The "Engrish" in both speech and writing is grating, but the gameplay itself is awesome. I assume some unknown (to me) Chinese company made it.

deoee

I just got this for my Masterthesis and maaan is it a bitch to get running - no adapters for HDMI -> DP mini or HDMI mini work so I have to get a new cable.

Currently I'm running a HDMI -> DVI Adapter which does the job but I can not use my other monitor this way :D

Also I have to get used to the cables and adjust everything, seems to blur out towards the edges.
But I have to say, I'm impressed with the sense of scale and room in Elite Dangerous.
Need to find other stuff to look at :eek:

Also what's the best resolution to put games in for VR?
As the linses are yyy x 1200 I guess I should use these?

SimplexPL

Reddit is a pretty good source of vive-related things. Here is just one thread, on reddit there is a whole subreddit, with a wiki and faq. I peruse it frequently.

deoee

Okay so I'll get to reddit asap, ty :)

and wow some of the VR demos are REALLY impressive
EWmof.gif

I noticed that I can see artifacts/ghosting when seeing bright/white objects. It shines from the outer edges into the middle of the lense (following the ripples of the lense surface). I assume this is normal?

SimplexPL

Sadly yes. This is normal for the Fresnel lenses used in Vive. Oculus has a different type of artifacts - godrays. PSVR does not have it and it also has better sweet spot (see below).

From duranter's blog:
optical_comp_black68k5r.png

Image quality deterioration (blurring, chromatic aberration) on the edges is also normal - the "sweet spot" where image is sharp is basically the small area in the center, which is where you should look (and you should position the goggles in a way that you are looking at the sweet spot when looking straight in front of you)

M_A_C

When I have Steam VR running, it makes a strange noise come through my surround sound every 4-5 seconds. Kind of like an ambient note. It is hooked up with HDMI and my headset with display port. Anyone heard of that before?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sadly yes. This is normal for the Fresnel lenses used in Vive. Oculus has a different type of artifacts - godrays. PSVR does not have it and it also has better sweet spot (see below).

From duranter's blog:
optical_comp_black68k5r.png

Image quality deterioration (blurring, chromatic aberration) on the edges is also normal - the "sweet spot" where image is sharp is basically the small area in the center, which is where you should look (and you should position the goggles in a way that you are looking at the sweet spot when looking straight in front of you)

Stuff like this is why I can't stand when developers lock text on the lower portion of the screen rather than up in the center where I can actually read it. I mean some games that lock it so that even if I lower my head to read it clearly the text moves down with my head. >>;

kinggroin

Banned
Thanks man I had remembered you talking about it as well.

I don't think the beta is working properly for me anyway, the blacks are the same and I can not see an option for asynchronous reprojection.

Cheers though.

SteamVR beta, not Steam beta fyi.

Look in your library, find SteamVR, right click, go to beta tab, click drop down and select opt in. It'll download it. Reboot PC.

Durante

Stuff like this is why I can't stand when developers lock text on the lower portion of the screen rather than up in the center where I can actually read it. I mean some games that lock it so that even if I lower my head to read it clearly the text moves down with my head. >>;
I think UI which moves with your head is generally an anti-pattern in VR design.

Stuff which is either part of the world, or that you can bring up at the position of one of your controllers works far better in practice.

The Solus Project does a pretty good job with that despite not being made from the gorund up for VR.

Zalusithix

I think UI which moves with your head is generally an anti-pattern in VR design.

Stuff which is either part of the world, or that you can bring up at the position of one of your controllers works far better in practice.

The Solus Project does a pretty good job with that despite not being made from the gorund up for VR.

Yep, the concept of a HUD based UI is kind of a holdover from traditional gaming where looking around is far less natural, and the only thing you can control. In VR it's better to treat interfaces as parts of physical objects instead of intangible persistent HUDs. Basically diegetic interfaces.

For stuff that needs to be seen at a glance, it's best to interface the information with what's in your hands. Take Raw Data for instance. Pistol ammo is displayed on the gun, and thus always visible when using it. You can also ascertain your ammo level by looking at the side of the gun and seeing how many bullets are left in the magazine. Meanwhile other traditional HUD elements are attached to your wrist. A quick glance like checking the time on a wrist watch is all you need. (Speaking of wrist watches, Climbey uses one as a level timer.)

Then for more verbose things, there's the interfaces which are part of the world, but not locked to your hands. H3VR has a number of those. The item spawner which is a fixed item in world space, and spawnable options tablets which can either be held and put down like the real world, or set to magically float wherever you let go of them.

If a game really wants to do a UI where the information is virtually superimposed in space rather than be part of an object, then you'd want to emulate AR within VR. Gaze based information that pops up around objects as you look at them. This is kind of clunky at the moment though and will only really be a good option when we get eye tracking IMO.

Here's a question...

...would a G-Sync HMD display be beneficial?
No. In VR we want a new (or virtual) frame every X ms. We want to stop the render when it goes over time and get something out there. That's exactly the opposite goal of G-sync which wants the monitor to update when the card is done rendering.

Here's a question...

...would a G-Sync HMD display be beneficial?

I've thought about this a bit, and I think it wouldn't work in conjunction with current measures like ATW and ASW, which rely on a constant display refresh rate to work. If your display matched your actual frame rate, there wouldn't be those warp frames. It might be better than, say, no ATW/ASW at all, but I think the experience would be inferior to current solutions.

This is totally speculation, obviously.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I've been playing Skyrim SE w/VorpX and it is actually really good. I'm sure more VR sickness prone people wouldn't agree but this is awesome for me.

If anybody is looking for a good Halloween game, I highly recommend Ghost Town Mine Ride and Shooting Gallery. It just came out and its only 9 bucks.

Warning: you might get motion sickness playing this. I thought it was pretty scary at times as well.

The physics make it feel like you are swinging in low g, they are a bit weird to get used to. At first i didn't know if i liked it or not but after i got hang of the swinging it turned into a zen like experience. Some of the platforming can be a bit tricky if you play on the harder difficulty where you can only hook on to the leaves, the controls are a bit floaty and moving around with the trackpad thing isn't as accurate as i'd like. Also, the rope control keybinds are the best, the grip buttons control the length of your rope and it is much easier to control than the other control methods.

Appreciate the impressions. Bit of a bummer it's not a true room-scale game, but I'll still check it out down the road. Trying to get the most out of crazy room-scale experiences before I branch out more.

Just talked to an HTC rep who straight up said that it's still completely random whether or not you get the new style cable or not. He said it's based on which warehouse it ships from. So... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Damn. Thanks for checking anyway. I'll pick one up once HTC actually clears things up.

kinggroin

Banned
If anybody is looking for a good Halloween game, I highly recommend Ghost Town Mine Ride and Shooting Gallery. It just came out and its only 9 bucks.

Warning: you might get motion sickness playing this. I thought it was pretty scary at times as well.

Seconded.

Just picked it up myself

YuShtink

Finally got around to reinstalling Waltz of the Wizard and it managed to run without crashing as soon as I interacted with an object. My God that Conductor spell is such a blast to play with. I desperately want some kind of telekinesis based game with complex physics and destruction. A Magneto game. Anything along those lines where I can lift up cars and launch them at enemies. It was god damn cathartic throwing, swirling and crashing everything around me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Yes, one thing I did like about Solus Project was that indeed I never had trouble reading anything; the UI was not an issue I had with the game. XD

Durante

Talking about The Solus Project, one thing I found out since my last post is that you can actually set "ScreenSize" (the downsampling parameter) to more than "150" if you do so in the game's .ini rather than the main menu.

Given the amount of small detail in the game this really helps (if you have the GPU grunt for it).

M_A_C

That looks cool! Kinda like the Until Dawn game on PSVR.

Anyone recommend a protector/cover for the controllers? Like these maybe? I've played my Vive 1 night and scuffed a controller already hitting the ceiling in REC Room catching a frisbee.

Paganmoon

Talking about The Solus Project, one thing I found out since my last post is that you can actually set "ScreenSize" (the downsampling parameter) to more than "150" if you do so in the game's .ini rather than the main menu.

Given the amount of small detail in the game this really helps (if you have the GPU grunt for it).

I start dropping frames like hell if I set it to even 150%, or well it used to go into reprojection before the SteamVR patch at least, haven't tried it since. Got a i7 6700k and a GTX 1080.

Durante

Holy Shit. I just played the "Halls of Oppression" sequence in The Solus Project. Holy Shit. I don't want to give anything away but that was some of the creepiest stuff I've ever experienced in a game. (Of course being in VR doesn't help matters)

I couldn't help but applaud the implementation of it though while I was trying to get the hell out of there. It's also superbly foreshadowed in how the entire area leads up to it, and how it works with the pieces of lore scattered around.

Now excuse me, I'll have to watch 2 hours of comedy or something before sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom