• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alec

Hi Gaf, i just bought my Vive a few days ago and its coming next week, i am really excited, i feel like a child waiting for Santa.

So GAF, which games should i get, any recommendations?
Keep in mind that my PC is not that powerful (i5 4670, 970gtx, 8GB ram).

Thanks!

Are you at least 9 years old?

If so, then Accounting.

jaypah

The mountains in The Lab has convinced everyone I showed it to. Line up the play space and tell them to walk off the mountain and not one person has had the balls. It's cool to watch.

deadfolk

Subnautica now has native Vive support.

Tried the beta a few days ago, but it was pretty rough then. Blanks to grey frequently (don't know if this is dropped frames or what). This is on a 1080, with ATW on.

Going to try again.

E-flux

I tried to update my steamVR to the beta update, broke something got a generic error, deleted SteamVR and now i'm getting gray screen and i seem to lose tracking a lot more often now, for some reason i can't even customize the idle space even if i change backgrounds and stuff.

SimplexPL

Interesting factoid. I recently had corrective eye laser surgery and during recovery I have double vision in one eye, the more doubled is the image the farther I have to focus on (it does not start to double up until about 10-15 centimeters). So when I put on Vive, I can see distant object without doubling because I am in fact focusing on the screen right in front of my face. On one hand it motivates be to stay in VR longer, on the other I am afraid this may interfere with the recovery process, so I am torn.

Durante

So I just gave The Solus Project another try since I thought that asynchronous reprojection might help a lot with it. And, well, it does -- I can easily max out the supersampling factor in the game and compound it with some more by means of renderTargetMultiplier.

Anyway, once the technical niggles are mitigated a bit I have to say that it's an excellent VR experience. It's a lot more fleshed out than most VR-only games, but the VR support is nearly as good as if it were native. And the setting/story really sucked me in once I gave it a longer try.

I just played it for 3 hours straight. I guess my point is that -- at least if you have a high-end GPU or plan to upgrade to one anytime soon -- you should really buy the game at its current discount.

pj

Banned
So I just gave The Solus Project another try since I thought that asynchronous reprojection might help a lot with it. And, well, it does -- I can easily max out the supersampling factor in the game and compound it with some more by means of renderTargetMultiplier.

Anyway, once the technical niggles are mitigated a bit I have to say that it's an excellent VR experience. It's a lot more fleshed out than most VR-only games, but the VR support is nearly as good as if it were native. And the setting/story really sucked me in once I gave it a longer try.

I just played it for 3 hours straight. I guess my point is that -- at least if you have a high-end GPU or plan to upgrade to one anytime soon -- you should really buy the game at its current discount.

I played it when it was first released and the VR experience was rough. Good to know it's playable now

Zalusithix

Interesting factoid. I recently had corrective eye laser surgery and during recovery I have double vision in one eye, the more doubled is the image the farther I have to focus on (it does not start to double up until about 10-15 centimeters). So when I put on Vive, I can see distant object without doubling because I am in fact focusing on the screen right in front of my face. On one hand it motivates be to stay in VR longer, on the other I am afraid this may interfere with the recovery process, so I am torn.

Err, the focal distance of the Vive is more than 10-15 centimeters. (If that were the focal distance, everything would be tack sharp for me without glasses on.) An object in VR should have less doubling for you, but it shouldn't be without any doubling. As for the recovery aspect, I doubt it'd hurt your eyes any more than staring at a computer screen or anything else where your eyes don't have to refocus. That said, I'm not a ophthalmologist.

Durante

I played it when it was first released and the VR experience was rough. Good to know it's playable now
It's more than playable really, as I said I'd recommend it to everyone who has the hardware to power through the unfortunate drawbacks of using the UE4 deferred renderer in VR.

The interface is not as immediately intuitive as most VR-only games, but to be fair it's also a more complicated game. And after half an hour at most it becomes second nature.

SimplexPL

Err, the focal distance of the Vive is more than 10-15 centimeters. (If that were the focal distance, everything would be tack sharp for me without glasses on.) An object in VR should have less doubling for you, but it shouldn't be without any doubling. As for the recovery aspect, I doubt it'd hurt your eyes any more than staring at a computer screen or anything else where your eyes don't have to refocus. That said, I'm not a ophthalmologist.

All I know is that everything further than 15 (ok, maybe 20) centimeters is doubled, and there is no noticeable doubling in VR, at all. I assumed this is related to the distance that the vive screens are from my eyes.

EDIT: there's been a Raw Data update. I love this part:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/212060165292725987 said:
UI/Graphics
AA Graphics Setting: removed AA graphics setting since current AA implementation is not adequate for VR
Took you long enough to realize that. Why put AA implementation "not adequate for VR" in a VR game in the first place?

Zalusithix

All I know is that everything further than 15 (ok, maybe 20) centimeters is doubled, and there is no noticeable doubling in VR, at all. I assumed this is related to the distance that the vive screens are from my eyes.

Well, the screens are close, but the optics change the effective focal distance (you wouldn't even be able to focus on them without the lenses doing this). While the Vive isn't focused at the distances you're talking about, it's not focused that far either. We're only talking around a meter for either of the PCVR headsets IIRC. It's possible the lower resolution and SDE masks whatever minor doubling is present for you at that distance.

SimplexPL

Is this some form of temporal AA?
Anyways, it was clearly doing nothing (I turned it on, saw no difference), which is why I am surprised it was used at all. For placebo effect?

kinggroin

Banned
Anyways, it was clearly doing nothing (I turned it on, saw no difference), which is why I am surprised it was used at all. For placebo effect?

Nah man, there was a (negative) difference. It softened the image harshly when applied on top of everything else.

and hot damn, Raw Data running so good while LOOKING so good makes me re-appreciate the immersion benefits that come from VR.

Durante

It used to be a form of temporal AA. After patch 0.4 (or so) they took it out since TAA is a rather bad choice in VR, but left the setting UI in. Now they also removed the UI.

(I now understand your confusion)

SimplexPL

Ok, I did not know all that, thanks for clarifying. That is really a bummer that TAA does not work in VR, because it works beautifully in non VR.

It seems the only good AA in deferred engines in supersampling which is super taxing. That's bad news, I hope there will be some breakthrough.

Durante

Ok, I did not know all that, thanks for clarifying. That is really a bummer that TAA does not work in VR, because it works beautifully in non VR.

It seems the only good AA in deferred engines in supersampling which is super taxing. That's bad news, I hope there will be some breakthrough.
The breakthrough is not going fully deferred. It has some drawbacks, but people are considering it more and more even for non-VR high-end games, and for VR the choice is clear IMHO.

AlanOC91

I've been following these headsets for about two months now. I got paid today from work and got some back pay I've been due so I'm thinking about going out and buying one of these after work today (a store here has one in stock).

I need a little convincing though, after spending near €1000 do you guy still get use out of the Vive? I really don't want to buy one only to find that after 3-5 hours the novelty will have worn off and I won't go back to it.

Is there substance for lengthy playthroughs of games?

Secondly,

My room is a little small. I don't have full access to stand up and move about with the headset on without crippling myself on something. Will this generally be a huge issue iwth the Vive?

I did try Samsung VR about a year ago and I was blown away by it. I loved it, so hopefully I will love this.

PC Specs: 6700k oc'd to 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR4 ram, Asus 980ti OC

SimplexPL

If you do not have AT LEAST 1.5x2m of cleared space then I would advise against getting a Vivie. And that 1.5x2 is really the absolute bare minimum, it will not even allow you to take advantage of the most mind-blowing feature of the Vive, which is roomscale (i.e. you can walk in VR). I have around 2.5x2.5m of space and it feels very small and constricting.

Also, don't be that guy ;)

https://oddshot.tv/shot/Zimtok5/UzqA8LliA8JO94BfH-ueVkaC

That's what happens when you don't have enough cleared space.

Source: https://www.vive.com/us/support/howto/720448.html
Planning your play area
Before choosing your setup, make sure that you have enough space.
Room-scale setup needs a minimum play area of 2 m x 1.5 m (6 ft 6 in x 5 ft).

If you plan to only play cockpit games (sims) you can ignore what I wrote.

AlanOC91

If you do not have AT LEAST 1.5x2m of cleared space then I would advise against getting a Vivie. And that 1.5x2 is really the absolute bare minimum, it will not even allow you to take advantage of the most mind-blowing feature of the Vive, which is roomscale (i.e. you can walk in VR). I have around 2.5x2.5m of space and it feels very small and constricting.

Also, don't be that guy ;)

https://oddshot.tv/shot/Zimtok5/UzqA8LliA8JO94BfH-ueVkaC

That's what happens when you don't have enough cleared space.

Source: https://www.vive.com/us/support/howto/720448.html

If you plan to only play cockpit games (sims) you can ignore what I wrote.

Hmmm my play space would be roughly the size he has too :-/ I can mainly move forward and backwards if needed but not left/right because my double bed takes up the majority of the room and everything is around it with space to walk. That's about it.

I don't feel like lugging my PC downstairs to the sitting room and I'm not 100% sure if it works with steam link (not sure if it would be decent with it even if it did work).

I'll do a little bit more research. It's an expensive bit of kit and there is no point in me purchasing it if I don't make use out of it.

SimplexPL

People had success in extending the cables quite significantly (with repeaters or some sort of signal amplifiers). Maybe consider that. These are all standard HDMI and USB, so extendable with good quality equipment.

Durante

I need a little convincing though, after spending near €1000 do you guy still get use out of the Vive? I really don't want to buy one only to find that after 3-5 hours the novelty will have worn off and I won't go back to it.
I haven't checked the exact numbers, but across all games and experiences i'd guess I've spent >100 hours using the Vive so far. And there's still lots of stuff I want to try that I haven't gotten to yet. In fact, I'd say the frequency at which new things release is higher than the one with which I can try them. And this is while focusing almost exclusively on standing games, without much cockpit stuff (where some people probably put 100s of hours into things like Elite or racing sims alone).

SimplexPL is right about the space though. Many of the best experiences (IMHO, some people prefer cockpit games) require at least 360° standing space. This means you should at least be able to stand up and stretch your arms fully extended in any direction without getting uncomfortably close to anything.

AlanOC91

SimplexPL is right about the space though. Many of the best experiences (IMHO, some people prefer cockpit games) require at least 360° standing space. This means you should at least be able to stand up and stretch your arms fully extended in any direction without getting uncomfortably close to anything.

Hmmmm this I can do. I can definitely stand on the spot with my arms extended and rotate 360 degrees. That shouldn't be an issue. My bed is light too so if needed I can always lift it and just move it at an angle out of the way.

Feck it, I might as well treat myself this month to something nice!

Zalusithix

Hmmmm this I can do. I can definitely stand on the spot with my arms extended and rotate 360 degrees. That shouldn't be an issue. My bed is light too so if needed I can always lift it and just move it at an angle out of the way.

Feck it, I might as well treat myself this month to something nice!
Standing 360 is the most important. Actual roomscale is the icing on top. Most games can be played with never moving more than a step in any given direction. Some absolutely need the minimum floorspace, but those are the exception.

Also keep in mind that there is no forward. You say you can move back and forward, but if you rotate the forward 90 degrees, then you have side steps instead. Side stepping is more important IMO, so I'd go for that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Talking about The Solus Project, it's currently on sale for 40% off.

If you are into the whole survival/exploration genre, it's probably your most complete choice currently available in VR.

It does have the usual UE4 issue of your only effective means of getting good IQ being supersampling, and that not being cheap at all hardware-wise. That's really the largest issue I have with it. It does show some amazing vistas and works quite well as an exploration game (as far as I can tell, I don't usually play the genre).
The asynchronous reprojection update might help with that somewhat, I haven't played it since that.

Is asynchronous reprojection in the standard Steam VR client or do I need to be on a Steam beta?

Zalusithix

Oh cool! I was just complaining about this yesterday, but now you have me worried. I don't want to buy the old 3-in-1 cable again. This is definitely the new 3-in-1 right?

I wouldn't bet on anything, and I wouldn't trust a CSR to know either. Personally, I'm going to let somebody else take the risk and wait for the result before I bite. I'm not desperate enough for the new design to potentially waste $50 on something I have absolutely no use for.

I wouldn't bet on anything, and I wouldn't trust a CSR to know either. Personally, I'm going to let somebody else take the risk and wait for the result before I bite. I'm not desperate enough for the new design to potentially waste $50 on something I have absolutely no use for.

Yeah probably a good call. The way the current cable coils is pretty annoying and I've only been using it for a day, so it would be nice if HTC cleared it up. Let me give you money, HTC!

Metal B

I've been following these headsets for about two months now. I got paid today from work and got some back pay I've been due so I'm thinking about going out and buying one of these after work today (a store here has one in stock).

Is there substance for lengthy playthroughs of games?

Secondly,

My room is a little small. I don't have full access to stand up and move about with the headset on without crippling myself on something. Will this generally be a huge issue iwth the Vive?

I did try Samsung VR about a year ago and I was blown away by it. I loved it, so hopefully I will love this.

PC Specs: 6700k oc'd to 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR4 ram, Asus 980ti OC
I have setup the Vive in my office, where there is only a space of 2.6x1.6m and it works fine. Technically i am also creating since 0.5m of the 1.6m includes one part of a sofa there.
As long as you don't or carefully play games with include heavy moving. For example i would not recommend games like Holopoint, Holoball or RawData with this limited space, but Pirate Space Trainer, Vivecraft and Out of Ammo work fine.

You should plan for space, where you could play those games. Like taking the Vive to friends or family.

I've always been weary of joining Steam betas, will it hurt my other games?

It might screw up all of your VR stuff, at which point you'd have to reinstall SteamVR. I know at least one person who couldn't uninstall SteamVR because of the beta, and had to uninstall Steam to get everything working again.

Oh cool! I was just complaining about this yesterday, but now you have me worried. I don't want to buy the old 3-in-1 cable again. This is definitely the new 3-in-1 right?
Yeah, I wouldn't be 100% about it but odds are you'd get a new one if you bought it on site. My understanding is new Vives being shipped are packed with the new cables, I just had one replaced a couple weeks ago and got a new one back, and since they've been out of stock for a while on the site, I wouldn't be surprised if the restock is the new cable. But yeah. Without a picture (which is really annoying btw), you can't be 100% yet.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It might screw up all of your VR stuff, at which point you'd have to reinstall SteamVR. I know at least one person who couldn't uninstall SteamVR because of the beta, and had to uninstall Steam to get everything working again.

∑(゚Д゚) I uh, think I may wait for the official version for asynchronous reprojection... orz

SimplexPL

It's not that bad, I never had serious problems with SteamVR beta. You can always make a backup of your whole Steam folder (minus the games) and if something gets broken, just copy back from the backup. AR could be in beta for weeks.

Yeah probably a good call. The way the current cable coils is pretty annoying and I've only been using it for a day, so it would be nice if HTC cleared it up. Let me give you money, HTC!

As crazy as it sounds, HTC obviously does not want our money. If they did, they'd clearly indicate the type of the cable on the product page and started counting the orders.

Zalusithix

∑(゚Д゚) I uh, think I may wait for the official version for asynchronous reprojection... orz
I've been running the beta branch since around the bright pixel fix with no major issues. If you only go on the worst case basis, getting the Vive at all would have been a mistake as some people have been unable to get it working without problems on their computers even with the release version of SteamVR.

As crazy as it sounds, HTC obviously does not want our money. If they did, they'd clearly indicate the type of the cable on the product page and started counting the orders.
HTC just sucks at the whole web store thing in general. This goes back to the very beginning with things like pre orders being "in stock". Being clear and concise is not their strong point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmmm my play space would be roughly the size he has too :-/ I can mainly move forward and backwards if needed but not left/right because my double bed takes up the majority of the room and everything is around it with space to walk. That's about it.

I don't feel like lugging my PC downstairs to the sitting room and I'm not 100% sure if it works with steam link (not sure if it would be decent with it even if it did work).

I'll do a little bit more research. It's an expensive bit of kit and there is no point in me purchasing it if I don't make use out of it.

small walking space but with larger 'air' space to wave your arms around is fine too - eg over a bed or sofa

dsk1210

How do you enable the asynchronous reprojection?

I am in the beta but I don't see any option, is it normally in the VR options when in the headset?

Zalusithix

Steam Halloween sale just went live and it includes a few Vive titles.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=101&specials=1

Glad I held off getting Chair in a Room.

You can pick up the newly released
Crappy
Zombie Game too! A great looking new game with super low spec requirements.
How do you enable the asynchronous reprojection?

I am in the beta but I don't see any option, is it normally in the VR options when in the headset?
It's enabled by default if you have an Nvidia card. You can see it listed on the left hand side of the desktop SteamVR options window. If you're running AMD, you're SOL for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom