• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanOC91

As to your second issue... Are you out of shape? VR - particularly VR with tracked controllers is active gaming. You will be using muscles and enduring fatigue with games that require movement. If you're out of shape, that can cause you to quickly work up a sweat. Alternatively you're just playing in a hot environment or have an abnormally high body temperature.

No I'm not out of shape. I primarily do cardio workouts most days. These issues have arisen with seated experiences too, just moving my head around and using an xbox controller and the exact same thing happens roughly 10 minutes+ into the experience.

When I take the headset off, I need to wait a few minutes to cool down. My room doesn't seem to be any warmer so I'm not too sure what's causing it. It's a very very strange experience that I haven't encountered before.

Onemic

So what are the must have games out now for the Vive?(and anything that works with Revive). I've pretty much been out of the loop since June. Newest games I have are Raw Data, Onward, Climbey, Subnautica, and Redout.

Also how do you go about watching 360 videos on youtube with the Vive?

Zalusithix

No I'm not out of shape. I primarily do cardio workouts most days. These issues have arisen with seated experiences too, just moving my head around and using an xbox controller and the exact same thing happens roughly 10 minutes+ into the experience.

When I take the headset off, I need to wait a few minutes to cool down. My room doesn't seem to be any warmer so I'm not too sure what's causing it. It's a very very strange experience that I haven't encountered before.

Hmm... I wonder if it's a form of VR nausea. A psychological issue of sorts. I mean, can get uncomfortably hot looking at pictures of certain surgeries or the results of some diseases to the point where I can start feeling almost ill and have to step away. I suppose it's possible that VR is triggering a similar reaction in you. If it were motion mismatch based (the most common) I'd expect that to manifest mostly in games with artificial locomotion. Standing around in a roomscale game wouldn't trigger it for that stimulus. You say it happens with any game though, so that can't be it.

A claustrophobia sort of induced reaction though? Something related to the reduced FoV of the VR headsets? I could see that impacting you no matter what. I wonder if goggles that have a similar effect on real life vision would trigger something similar in you.

Edit: I suppose there's also a small chance that it could be an issue of being in constant reprojection from an underspec'd machine and the artifacts / frame drops from that are causing the problem. Some people are more sensitive to that sort of stuff than others.

Durante

So what are the must have games out now for the Vive?(and anything that works with Revive). I've pretty much been out of the loop since June. Newest games I have are Raw Data, Onward, Climbey, Subnautica, and Redout.
Accounting, certainly. One of the best ways to spend 30 minutes in VR.

SimplexPL

All in all, I have a 14 day refund policy and I'm unsure if I want to send it back yet or keep it. Some parts have been disappointing and others have been amazing. Maybe if I overcome the massive overheating of my body issue then I can do something with it.

This sometimes happens to me in VR (rarely) but I was unable to associate it with any specific circumstances.

kinggroin

Banned

Also how do you go about watching 360 videos on youtube with the Vive?

Ghost Town Mine Cart Ride, Accounting, Carnival Games (it's a LOT of fun, if you like those old Wii mini-game compilations), Thumper (getting its VR patch soon), Art of Fight, Project Cars Pagani Edition (free),

Also I recommend trying the Don't Knock Twice demo.

Make sure you already own the staples like Rec Room, and Pool Nation. They've come a long way.

Also make sure you have Big Screen for social desktop gaming and movie watching.

Durante

I tried GravLab now, and I like it overall (and it's always nice to play a VR game which allows for MSAA, especially having played a couple which don't recently), but the scoring seems strange.

Am I correct in thinking that the time score is based on actual building time and not the time it takes for the solution to complete? Because that seems like a bad decision, especially since it seems like the time bonus can dominate the overall score. That turns it more into a game of placing parts quickly rather than coming up with the most effective solution.

Zalusithix

I tried GravLab now, and I like it overall (and it's always nice to play a VR game which allows for MSAA, especially having played a couple which don't recently), but the scoring seems strange.

Am I correct in thinking that the time score is based on actual building time and not the time it takes for the solution to complete? Because that seems like a bad decision, especially since it seems like the time bonus can dominate the overall score. That turns it more into a game of placing parts quickly rather than coming up with the most effective solution.

Yes, the time is time to build. Efficiency would be determined by parts usage. You get penalized for every additional part used, so an effective design which uses the fewest parts would get less penalized.

Personally I think the whole time aspect should be scrapped, or like you said based on simulation time. Thankfully the time bonus is usually relatively minor compared to bonus objectives which show up in the later levels. Getting a design to run through all the bonus objective rings will net more points than going straight for the goal with a time bonus. I pretty much never had a time bonus on the later levels, and I don't think it's even possible while completing the bonus objectives.

Also noticed last night that there was an elevation control which raises or lowers the platform you ride on. Would have helped with placing some of the pieces up high without touching my ceiling. Also, found out you can throw items to the ground or walls to despawn them. Originally I just left any spare spawns just sitting around.

Onemic

Ghost Town Mine Cart Ride, Accounting, Carnival Games (it's a LOT of fun, if you like those old Wii mini-game compilations), Thumper (getting its VR patch soon), Art of Fight, Project Cars Pagani Edition (free),

Also I recommend trying the Don't Knock Twice demo.

Make sure you already own the staples like Rec Room, and Pool Nation. They've come a long way.

Also make sure you have Big Screen for social desktop gaming and movie watching.

Can you play youtube 360 videos and downloaded 360 videos through Big Screen?

Durante

Yes, the time is time to build. Efficiency would be determined by parts usage. You get penalized for every additional part used, so an effective design which uses the fewest parts would get less penalized.

Personally I think the whole time aspect should be scrapped, or like you said based on simulation time.

I posted about this in the game's Steam forum, since the developer seems to be pretty active there.

How does the elevation control work?

Zalusithix

I posted about this in the game's Steam forum, since the developer seems to be pretty active there.

How does the elevation control work?

It's in the spawn menu. Can't remember the exact terms, but it's basically a set of up/down buttons on the right hand side. They raise/lower the white platform that's scaled to your play space so you're always standing on something as you teleport around. I was in sandbox mode when I noticed them, but I assume they were there all the time and I just never noticed them. I kind of had blinders on during my first run through of the levels. All my focus was on using the pieces, not menu exploration or screwing around. I didn't realize that throwing of parts even existed until I spawned a door in sandbox mode and was whipping it around lol.

And speaking of the menu, I've found that it is kind of glitchy at times when it comes to registering when you're pointing at an option. Kind of quickly flips between active/inactive.

Onemic

I noticed that DolphinVR is broken with the new SteamVR beta update. The games run but with how the games render in the headset, it feels like you're crossing your eyes.

Oh man, the Budget Cuts demo is quite good, everyone should check it out. Super pumped for the full game. I can only imagine how ridiculous I looked trying to look down into a room through a ceiling tile only to discover my head, in fact, can't go through my floor.

Exuro

Oh man, the Budget Cuts demo is quite good, everyone should check it out. Super pumped for the full game. I can only imagine how ridiculous I looked trying to look down into a room through a ceiling tile only to discover my head, in fact, can't go through my floor.
Don't worry I think everyone did this. A testament to Budget Cuts presence.

dsk1210

So I picked up Chair in a Room at the weekend, I might have to refund it unfortunately.

It's the first game where my space is probably to small, I struggle to pick things up near corners as it's very tight to my boundaries and as far I can tell there is no teleport.

Seems like a cool game as well.

Is their movement system as innovative and groundbreaking as they say it is?

It's...different. I'll put it that way lol. Kind of like arm swinger but it's actually more like arm swing skiing. Really hard to explain without doing it yourself, but when you get the hang of it you can start sliding in to corners and doing dash slices with knives and katanas. They also have traditional touchpad locomotion but you won't have the same amount of control.

So I picked up Chair in a Room at the weekend, I might have to refund it unfortunately.

It's the first game where my space is probably to small, I struggle to pick things up near corners as it's very tight to my boundaries and as far I can tell there is no teleport.

There is a teleport function! It took me a bit to figure that out and I can't remember it off the top of my head. It's like holding the touchpad down and pulling the trigger, maybe? It's 100% there though.

SomTervo

As Vertigo said, you can definitely teleport. Have another bash :)

You probably won't be able to finish the game anyway because of
how fucking terrifying it is

Onemic

I really like the arm swinging mechanic in Climbey for locomotion. Are there any other games that are using this? This and the artificial locomotion in Onward seem like the best ways to deal with locomotion in VR. Only thing missing from arm swinging is figuring out how you can strafe, move backward, and jump while moving with it.

A Chair in a Room is awesome if your room is big enough. It's one of the few games that does dynamic scaling based on your room size. It added a lot that the game had me exploring the full play space.

I really like the arm swinging mechanic in Climbey for locomotion. Are there any other games that are using this? This and the artificial locomotion in Onward seem like the best ways to deal with locomotion in VR. Only thing missing from arm swinging is figuring out how you can strafe, move backward, and jump while moving with it.

Going back to Art of Fight, their method allows for both of those. You can jump too, but they limit it to certain surfaces/objects like windows. More of a climb really.

Onemic

Going back to Art of Fight, their method allows for both of those. You can jump too, but they limit it to certain surfaces/objects like windows. More of a climb really.

I'll try the game out again today, but my initial impressions for the locomotion system from yesterday were mixed. Not so much with the ability to move or the comfort, but just the unnatural feeling of it all. I'll probably get used to it and have a more informed opinion on it tonight.

As for the arm swinging mechanic, I do feel that strafing could be added by using combinations of the grip buttons. Something like: Hold both grip buttons and arm swing to move forward, hold the left/right grip button and arm swing to strafe left/right.(Currently Climbey moves you forward with any combination of grip buttons and arm swinging) Im just not sure how you would add backwards movement without it being unintuitive.

After playing a bunch of Final Approach, I realllllly want Civ VI updated with Vive support. Probably not going to happen at this point, but a man can dream...

As far as strategy games you can actually play on the Vive, Out of Ammo caught my eye. Has anyone tried it?

Zalusithix

As for the arm swinging mechanic, I do feel that strafing could be added by using combinations of the grip buttons. Something like: Hold both grip buttons and arm swing to move forward, hold the left/right grip button and arm swing to strafe left/right.(Currently Climbey moves you forward with any combination of grip buttons and arm swinging) Im just not sure how you would add backwards movement without it being unintuitive.

It's not exactly strafing, but you can side jump in Climbey. Jump is directional to controller movement instead of headset facing, so I tend to use it to hop a bit to where I need to be. You can, of course, also physically side step to strafe in roomscale, but that's limited in how far you can go.

After playing a bunch of Final Approach, I realllllly want Civ VI updated with Vive support. Probably not going to happen at this point, but a man can dream...

As far as strategy games you can actually play on the Vive, Out of Ammo caught my eye. Has anyone tried it?

I really like Out of Ammo. Haven't played the strategy part since it came out of early access though so I don't want to totally vouch for it. I had a good time with it a few months ago and it's pretty unique. You might also want to look in to Quar which I've heard good stuff about..

Onemic

Ive been randomly getting tracking issues between today and yesterday and its gotten so bad that Im back in the same place ive been in for the last few months where I pretty much cant play VR titles anymore. Nothing in my room setup has changed, so I have no idea what the problem could be. What's even weirder is that it tends to happen when I look directly at one of the base stations.

EDIT: I can now confirm that its definitely caused by looking at one of the base stations. Ive tried unplugging and replugging the base station, but it's still messed up.

SomTervo

Can I just say that Organ Quarter is a potentially amazing VR Silent Hill-alike based on its free demo. It's so good and tantalising.

Ive been randomly getting tracking issues between today and yesterday and its gotten so bad that Im back in the same place ive been in for the last few months where I pretty much cant play VR titles anymore. Nothing in my room setup has changed, so I have no idea what the problem could be. What's even weirder is that it tends to happen when I look directly at one of the base stations.

EDIT: I can now confirm that its definitely caused by looking at one of the base stations. Ive tried unplugging and replugging the base station, but it's still messed up.

I get this whenever I don't have the big mirror in my room covered up. If it's suddenly started you could have moved in a reflective surface by accident.

Try removing plates, mugs, plant pots, mirrors, pictures w/ frames, etc.

If that fails, try doing roomscale again I guess.

Onemic

Can I just say that Organ Quarter is a potentially amazing VR Silent Hill-alike based on its free demo. It's so good and tantalising.

I get this whenever I don't have the big mirror in my room covered up. If it's suddenly started you could have moved in a reflective surface by accident.

Try removing plates, mugs, plant pots, mirrors, pictures w/ frames, etc.

If that fails, try doing roomscale again I guess.

I have no reflective surfaces in my room. Tried running room setup and I get constant tracking issues when trying to trace my room as well. (and Im pretty sure it's associated with the same base station) As far as I know, nothing about my room has changed between two days ago, when it was working fine, and yesterday night, when I first noticed the tracking problems.

Dex815

I have no reflective surfaces in my room. Tried running room setup and I get constant tracking issues when trying to trace my room as well. (and Im pretty sure it's associated with the same base station) As far as I know, nothing about my room has changed between two days ago, when it was working fine, and yesterday night, when I first noticed the tracking problems.

Did something change outside of the room?

There was someone here that had issues with the tracking and later discovered that it was because he lived close to a big radio antenna. The most common cause for faulty tracking though is reflective surfaces, like mirrors as you said, Some people also noticed that strong/saturation of wifi signals can cause problems.

I also had tracking issues when I forgot that I had the track IR connected to the PC (duh!). Also other devices like a HOTAS or driving wheels can cause problems while using the controllers, if you have other devices connected, try to unplug them.

SomTervo

Dang. Re-done room setup yet? It doesn't take long once you know what's needed.

Onemic

Did something change outside of the room?

There was someone here that had issues with the tracking and later discovered that it was because he lived close to a big radio antenna. The most common cause for faulty tracking though is reflective surfaces, like mirrors as you said, Some people also noticed that strong/saturation of wifi signals can cause problems.

I also had tracking issues when I forgot that I had the track IR connected to the PC (duh!). Also other devices like a HOTAS or driving wheels can cause problems while using the controllers, if you have other devices connected, try to unplug them.

Nope. It's definitely associated with that particular base station I mentioned earlier though as I switched the base stations around and it still only loses tracking when looking directly at said station.

Dang. Re-done room setup yet? It doesn't take long once you know what's needed.

Yep, redone it probably 5+ times now. No luck.

EDIT: I was able to minimize the loss of tracking, but not completely remove it through wiping down the problematic base station with a soft cloth(there was a fingerprint mark on it). I'm going to try and get an extension cable tomorrow to place one of the base stations at a more equal height with the other station.

dsk1210

Thanks for letting me know there is a teleport in Chair in a Room guys.

Will check it out again at the weekend, working nightshift just now and never really in the mood for VR in the morning. Too much physical assertion before going to sleep gets my head racing.

Nope. It's definitely associated with that particular base station I mentioned earlier though as I switched the base stations around and it still only loses tracking when looking directly at said station.

Yep, redone it probably 5+ times now. No luck.

EDIT: I was able to minimize the loss of tracking, but not completely remove it through wiping down the problematic base station with a soft cloth(there was a fingerprint mark on it). I'm going to try and get an extension cable tomorrow to place one of the base stations at a more equal height with the other station.

Have you tried factory resetting then updating the firmware?

No, how do you do that?

Reddit Thread you should look at to check for issues before you begin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4kaimo/master_thread_those_having_lighthouse_base/

The Steam Developer Kit Version is basically the same, but you should attempt to do a fresh update by plugging in the base station with the power off. Power on the device by holding the mode button. Attempt to update the firmware while it is connected. If that doesn't work, you can try changing the firmware version by changing it within the drive when the base station is connected. You should have the older firmware's within your folder within your SteamVR directory. They don't recommend doing this, but I have gotten dead lighthouses to come back by cycling through old firmware:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/HowTo_Update_Firmware#Base_Station_Firmware_Update

Connect the base station over USB to a USB 2 port in your computer. A micro-usb cable is required.

Make sure that the cable is fully inserted in the plug of the base station. The housing might prevent the needed close connection

Power on while pushing the Mode button to get the drive "CRP DISABLD". This may require multiple attempts.

Find the 'lighthouse_tx' firmware directory in your OpenVR Runtime directory. For example: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\firmware\lighthouse_tx

Select the appropriate file, suitable for your basestation model. For those with the development edition "Robin" basestations, use lighthouse_tx_robin.bin

Delete the firmware.bin on the "CRP DISABLD" drive (you must do this, or the next step won't work)

Drag the ".bin" file onto the drive (or, copy + paste)

Power cycle the basestation to complete installation. USB is not required during reboot.

If you repeat the process, you will see firmware.bin with a fixed size and fixed timestamp. That's okay.

Only attempt the firmware reset as a last ditch effort if you are comfortable with it

Finally bought and tried Raw data, um it feels off? Like it seems like the hand and other objects in the world aren't moving as fast as I'm moving my Vive controllers in real life and that just seems bad to me. Also is there an option to make teleporting an instant thing and not the whole fast slide? I'm ok with that kind of thing but a instant teleported always feels way better.

General question but would lamps in my room affect the lighthouses at all? like if one was behind one or next to it, had my chaperone bounds move forward more at some random point so it wasn't lined up with the right indents I made when tracing around objects in my room.

Makai

I did what I could to map VR to a gamepad so somebody could help me with development:

Sticks - hand X and Y position
Triggers - hand Z position
Bumpers - hand trigger
Stick clicks - touchpad click
DPad - body movement
Face buttons - head X and Y rotation

Not the worst thing ever

pj

Banned

Did you try taking a video of it with your phone to see if maybe one of the lasers died?

Phones pick up some IR so you should be able to see the big mass of sync LEDs, plus the two lasers on the bottom and right

Onemic

Did you try taking a video of it with your phone to see if maybe one of the lasers died?

Phones pick up some IR so you should be able to see the big mass of sync LEDs, plus the two lasers on the bottom and right

I'll try this when I get back from work today, thanks. If one of the lasers died, can I still get the base station replaced under warranty or will I have to buy it myself?

Zalusithix

Finally bought and tried Raw data, um it feels off? Like it seems like the hand and other objects in the world aren't moving as fast as I'm moving my Vive controllers in real life and that just seems bad to me. Also is there an option to make teleporting an instant thing and not the whole fast slide? I'm ok with that kind of thing but a instant teleported always feels way better.

General question but would lamps in my room affect the lighthouses at all? like if one was behind one or next to it, had my chaperone bounds move forward more at some random point so it wasn't lined up with the right indents I made when tracing around objects in my room.

Raw Data does have input lag (which is obviously worse in reprojection). If you bring up the camera overlay "tron mode", you'll notice the controller lagging behind the camera to some extent. Normally this would be the other way around. You can easily enough compensate for it, but it's noticeable if you're coming from another game without it.

There's no option for instant teleportation in Raw Data that I'm aware of.

As for the tracking, generally speaking it shouldn't be affected by room lighting. Even if you had lights that did, it wouldn't move the chaperone bounds, but rather make tracking totally inoperable or erratic. What's more likely is that a lighthouse got nudged or settled in place. Any minor movements of the lighthouse can have an effect on the absolute locations of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom