• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Garbage game immersion lost.

On paper that character is so stupid and unfunny, but my god the delivery is so hilarious. I sat there for so long just listening to that weirdo yell at me.
Yeah, the VA really does make a massive difference for that one. That's one reason I'm looking forward to the Rick and Morty VR game even more since playing Accounting.

I have it in my library even, but I haven't played it yet. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Do give it some time though.

Being a "full game", it's a much slower start compared to most other Vive experiences. And being not initially designed exclusively for VR, the controls are a bit more complex and take some getting used to (they work quite well when you do though).

For me, I gave it a try and played ~30 minutes and then basically dropped it (not all that impressed and a bit confused as to its high praise). Then later on I played some more to test async reprojection with it and got hooked for 3+ hours in one session.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Do give it some time though.

Being a "full game", it's a much slower start compared to most other Vive experiences. And being not initially designed exclusively for VR, the controls are a bit more complex and take some getting used to (they work quite well when you do though).

For me, I gave it a try and played ~30 minutes and then basically dropped it (not all that impressed and a bit confused as to its high praise). Then later on I played some more to test async reprojection with it and got hooked for 3+ hours in one session.

That's good to know, thanks!

Durante

So is the consensus that leaving only Async Reprojection on is the way to go?
I didn't do much in-depth testing, but from comparing both in Raw Data, yes.

(It might be different depending on whether you just have occasional drops or are always below 90 FPS)

jaypah

Is Resident Evil 7 getting Vive support? I noticed Steam has it listed under VR titles, but I haven't read anything about it.

I read a post a few weeks ago that said Sony had the VR mode wrapped up exclusive for a year. Yes. An exclusive mode. For a year. 😩

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I thought I saw someone say here that even with a 980 Ti on the absolute lowest settings, that performance was real bad.

That was me. I had a hard time getting it to run without jittering except on the lowest setting.

Admittedly at the time I didn't ask here if anyone had advice so if anyone wants to chime in and offer settings that I didn't use or thoroughly debunk me feel free. I'd love to be a dumbass who doesn't know what he's doing in this case because then other can enjoy a Durante approved game and I'd gladly rebuy it because the "game" was never my problem; it was running it smoothly and/or clearly. orz

Onemic

How long does the warranty for the Vive last? I received my Vive in late May. I really dont want to be forced to pay for a new base station.

Putosaure

Do anyone know if HTC still gives keys to free games when you purchase a Vive ?
The place where I bought it from claims that they still do, but I can't find anything on their website... I wish I just could try Job Simulator and Tiltbrush :(

You have about 20 different things to take care of in later levels in Raw Data at any point in time, realistic reloading is really not what you want there.

That's one of my favourite things about Raw Data. It's one of the very few VR-only games which has a significant skill progression.

I don't think it's fully just the realism of reloading, but just the way the game handles it with the animation and in general the feel of the game being laggy to me. It just feels off :/ Like Out of Ammo isn't realistic but simple with it's reloads and they are immensely more satisfying. Though I understand why the game is this way because of how hard it can be. I think if I still had my Vive out in the living room I'd probably be more warm to raw Data since I'd be able to move more, but at this point with VR I like just being able to have it ready to go in my room even though it's with less space now. I think I'll refund it and just wait a bit longer and see how it progress, and see about some less demanding stuff.

dsk1210

Lol. Reminds me of the first time I played Onward and was like "How do you go prone?" and everyone else was like "....You have to actually get down on the floor". Yep. That makes.

I was actually playing and someone was asking the exact same thing, there was a few of us laughing.

SimplexPL

Do anyone know if HTC still gives keys to free games when you purchase a Vive ?
The place where I bought it from claims that they still do, but I can't find anything on their website... I wish I just could try Job Simulator and Tiltbrush :(

They give different games since August, but the Tilt Brush is still there:
https://www.destructoid.com/vive-now-comes-with-some-different-free-games-380185.phtml

Job Simulator is not that great IMO. It's fun, but the novelty wore off quickly for me.

Putosaure

Zalusithix

I'm really hoping we'll get that new controller next year, maybe even straight from Valve as well, just hope it'll be fully compatible with the old control schemes.
It's a complete superset of the existing controllers, so aside from the location of buttons changing slightly, there's no reason it wouldn't work with every existing game. Rather, I'd say it'd enhance existing games that have options for holding the grip buttons instead of sticky/toggle mode.

derFeef

Anyone boosting a 1060/1070 laptop and used it with a Vive? I am considering buying one, to use it outside of my small flat and at friends houses etc.

I'm taking the plunge and my Vive arrives tomorrow. I imagine that I'll need to upgrade my GTX 970 to get a good experience.

It will work decently with a 970. Especially now that async reprojection is a thing. But more power is obviously always better, and it will be a long time before there is a gfx card that could effortlessly run even current headsets at their highest potential.

Cdammen

I need to highly recommend Climbey, Windlands, and Lucid Trips Demo (I got it when I signed up for the newsletter).

I do not understand why people rate Windlands badly just because the dev is an asshole on YouTube. Doesn't affect the quality of a game one bit and is deceiving to the potential buyer. I was looking at this even before I had a headset, but once I got it I didn't buy because it had "mixed" ratings.

Buy it, the locomotion is really good and it's super-easy to get in to with lots of gameplay and comfort options.

(EDIT) Actually all three have unique takes on in-VR player movement, that's why I bunched the recommendations together.

I need to highly recommend Climbey, Windlands, and Lucid Trips Demo (I got it when I signed up for the newsletter).

I do not understand why people rate Windlands badly just because the dev is an asshole on YouTube. Doesn't affect the quality of a game one bit and is deceiving to the potential buyer. I was looking at this even before I had a headset, but once I got it I didn't buy because it had "mixed" ratings.

Buy it, the locomotion is really good and it's super-easy to get in to with lots of gameplay and comfort options.

It's just people abusing the Steam rating system for shit it's not intended for. I wish there was more they could do about that.

Zalusithix

Like, no doubt. But that should have no bearing on the rating of the game. Take that to the Community Discussion section.

Windlands IIRC had relatively mixed reviews from the very get go due to the artificial locomotion making people sick. I'll admit I haven't been following it close enough to know if the overall rating went positive before tanking again, but it's not like the game was universally acclaimed before the dev's (stupid) actions.

Windlands IIRC had relatively mixed reviews from the very get go due to the artificial locomotion making people sick. I'll admit I haven't been following it close enough to know if the overall rating went positive before tanking again, but it's not like the game was universally acclaimed before the dev's (stupid) actions.

Definitely a factor. But if you go to their page now, the Recent score is "Mostly Negative" and all the negative reviews on the main page are about what the devs did. Overall score is still "Mostly Positive".

What'd I miss?

So there's this guy Fuseman that's been doing these great "Learn how to make X game in Unity" streams/videos. Super helpful stuff. Very involved with the community and on Reddit. But when he made one for Windlands, they DMCA'd him and had the video taken down with a claim about infringing on their IP or tech or something. They've since backed down after the uproar but the damage is obviously done.

Made a thread on Reddit if any of you want to keep track. It's much more active there, so hopefully we get more eyes on this.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5b4uv5/htc_vive_perfect_black_levels/

Yea, I'm definitely all for making true blacks an option. The smearing is a small price to pay for the better picture/contrast.

Was very disappointed booting it up today to find the noisy grey mess back in action...

EDIT: Maybe go to the news post for the update and ask for it to be an option rather than a straight lock out. Maybe downvote it even?

dsk1210

I'm taking the plunge and my Vive arrives tomorrow. I imagine that I'll need to upgrade my GTX 970 to get a good experience.

You're 970 will do ok just now, wait to see what the 1080ti does then decide if it's best holding off till the next range.

Most stuff will play perfectly on a 970 without supersampling.

Kingroin I agree with you 100%, the black smear could also be fixed by black frame insertion although it would lower brightness a bit. Phone is playing up otherwise I would have quoted you.

Edit.

Been playing Rocket League tonight as usual and I honestly reckon if there was a VR version locked behind the vehicle but with the ability to look about to see where your teammate is, I would be on an intravenous drip.

Talk about a killer piece of software for VR in general.

They have discussed VR at one point but mentioned with it being unreal engine 3 that there is no actual support for VR or the type off 3d rendering required, this has been proven to be circumvented by helix and the contributors to helixmod which allows 3d in games that do not support it.

It's just a wish I have anyway.

Durante

Guys, VR The Diner Duo.

If your situation at all allows for playing an asymmetric 2 player coop VR/non-VR game then you absolutely should get this.

We had an absolute blast playing it yesterday and shouting orders at each other. (I have no idea how it would look to an outsider when for half an hour someone shouts things like "mustard meat cheese ketchup meat meat ketchup" at someone else)

It's obviously quite simple in terms of basic interactivity, but between how much in advance you prepare which resources, what order you use them in, and the time pressure of 3-starring the later orders it gets really challenging quite quickly.

Owari

Where?

EDIT: I typed "diner" in the steam search bar, it did not show up for me.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/530120/

Thanks for reminding me this was out! Can't wait to try it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/523180

So we have Doritos in VR BEFORE it becomes mainstream. Gonna try it now.
I would have tried if it were free. After watching Before the Flood I will never financially support Doritos again. There are better chips out there too.

Putosaure

Finaly tried Rec Room and was pleasantly surprised. It's always fun to see people getting amazed at simple VR things in the lobby when you mess around, and games are quite fun too. Hearing kids getting angry is always a treat to my ear. And everybody laugh and high five, which feels better than other gaming communities...

kinggroin

Banned
Finaly tried Rec Room and was pleasantly surprised. It's always fun to see people getting amazed at simple VR things in the lobby when you mess around, and games are quite fun too. Hearing kids getting angry is always a treat to my ear. And everybody laugh and high five, which feels better than other gaming communities...

Rec Room is cathartic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom