• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

What's noteworthy is that they fixed the 1-frame lag in Raw Data once already, but rolled back the patch because it was apparently breaking things for some people. I assume it will eventually be back.

Raw Data does have input lag (which is obviously worse in reprojection). If you bring up the camera overlay "tron mode", you'll notice the controller lagging behind the camera to some extent. Normally this would be the other way around. You can easily enough compensate for it, but it's noticeable if you're coming from another game without it.

There's no option for instant teleportation in Raw Data that I'm aware of.

As for the tracking, generally speaking it shouldn't be affected by room lighting. Even if you had lights that did, it wouldn't move the chaperone bounds, but rather make tracking totally inoperable or erratic. What's more likely is that a lighthouse got nudged or settled in place. Any minor movements of the lighthouse can have an effect on the absolute locations of things.

Ah ok thanks for the response! I recently moved my lighthouses back into my own room other than the living room but I didn't unscrew their mounts from the walls there so they've just been sitting on areas I found wouldn't move usually so that has to be it. I'll get them stable eventually.

What's noteworthy is that they fixed the 1-frame lag in Raw Data once already, but rolled back the patch because it was apparently breaking things for some people. I assume it will eventually be back.

Oh ok I think I remember hearing about this a little ways back. TBH in general I'm also not that much a fan of how they seem to be doing some stuff, like reloading feels awful to me. Like while something simple such as Out of Ammo does it way better just by allowing you to reload yourself in a way that makes you feel more engaged with what you just did. That and the whole slide teleportation thing has always been iffy to me sadly, but I'll keep checking the game out, the rest seems very high quality.

Zalusithix

Oh ok I think I remember hearing about this a little ways back. TBH in general I'm also not that much a fan of how they seem to be doing some stuff, like reloading feels awful to me. Like while something simple such as Out of Ammo does it way better just by allowing you to reload yourself in a way that makes you feel more engaged with what you just did. That and the whole slide teleportation thing has always been iffy to me sadly, but I'll keep checking the game out, the rest seems very high quality.

By reloading do you mean with the pistol before upgrades? I don't think the devs care much about that feeling realistic. Bishop eventually gets hip loading and dual pistols, so that action becomes a thing of the past.

By reloading do you mean with the pistol before upgrades? I don't think the devs care much about that feeling realistic. Bishop eventually gets hip loading and dual pistols, so that action becomes a thing of the past.

Yeah I've only messed with the default Pistol from the beginning and the reloading just felt really bad to me, like I actually dislike how automatic it is with how you do it. It just feels off, maybe it'll seem better when they fix the input delay thing again.

Zalusithix

Yeah I've only messed with the default Pistol from the beginning and the reloading just felt really bad to me, like I actually dislike how automatic it is with how you do it. It just feels off, maybe it'll seem better when they fix the input delay thing again.

I don't think the latency is the issue for you on the reloading so much as the fact that it forces animations that you're not really doing. The added latency doesn't help and adds to the "marionette" feel to it. Reloading in H3VR, for instance, feels like I'm actually reloading a gun. The same action in Raw Data feels more like a gesture than a real action. It isn't helped by the fact that the reload happens in your field of vision.

Like I said though, it's should be a temporary thing. Eventually your reload happens at your hips in an automated fashion. Between it being a one handed action and happening out of your normal field of view, it shouldn't have the same level of conscious discrepancy between what you're doing IRL and what your avatar is doing in VR.

Onemic

Did you try taking a video of it with your phone to see if maybe one of the lasers died?

Phones pick up some IR so you should be able to see the big mass of sync LEDs, plus the two lasers on the bottom and right

The base station thats been having problems on has one LED on the bottom and no LED on the right. So am I fucked?

Putosaure

Budget Cuts is really amazing. I can't wait to see the full game.

Bad thing is that now I'm a little bit dizzy not knowing if I can touch things in real life or not. Weird sensation.

Zalusithix

The base station thats been having problems on has one LED on the bottom and no LED on the right. So am I fucked?

Yep, broken lighthouse. There should be a light offset to the side of the large array of LEDs. You can confirm that by taking a picture of the lighthouse that doesn't give you problems. On the down side, you'll have to go through the RMA process. On the plus side, at least you know what's causing your tracking problems and everything should be golden when you get a replacement.

jaypah

Anybody copped that game that has you on a roller-coaster track doing laps and shooting at shit? I'm at work and the name escapes me but it's pretty fun if you don't suffer from motion sickness (I don't). The only thing I don't like is how far you have to lead your shots. If the bullets traveled a bit faster it would be more fun IMO.

Edit: just googled it, RollerForce is the name.

Oh jeez, finally did an extended session with Raw Data, and this was on easy. Holy hell does the game ask a lot of you, to the point where it might be too much, especially if that was only easy. Also the game is just so grimy, even on my 980ti I can't really get a good visual look that doesn't just make the whole thing look rough. Debating if I just want to get a refund and wait this early access title out, I'm just not feeling it overall :/ which sucks cause this was one of the first VR games that convinced me from what I watched before the Vive came out.

Oh well, not everything is a winner for everyone. BTW, does everyone have any good-great seated gamepad VR games to recommend? I've gotten House of the Dying Son and that's about it.

Can Budget Cuts come out already I need that game so much

dsk1210

Oh jeez, finally did an extended session with Raw Data, and this was on easy. Holy hell does the game ask a lot of you, to the point where it might be too much, especially if that was only easy. Also the game is just so grimy, even on my 980ti I can't really get a good visual look that doesn't just make the whole thing look rough. Debating if I just want to get a refund and wait this early access title out, I'm just not feeling it overall :/ which sucks cause this was one of the first VR games that convinced me from what I watched before the Vive came out.

Oh well, not everything is a winner for everyone. BTW, does everyone have any good-great seated gamepad VR games to recommend? I've gotten House of the Dying Son and that's about it.

I really need some good seated experiences as well, sometimes I am just too lazy or drunk to go full pelt.

I know thumper is getting a VR patch soon and I have held of playing it till this happens, well I have had a shot to get a feel but I am not playing anymore until the patch releases.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Did you try the graphics options? Super-sampling is built right in, that helped me a lot with the visuals (at least in terms of clarity. I'm also on 980ti)

Zalusithix

Did you try the graphics options? Super-sampling is built right in, that helped me a lot with the visuals (at least in terms of clarity. I'm also on 980ti)

Playable settings in Raw Data with a 980ti still result in rough IQ when compared to forward rendered games with MSAA. At least when you define playable as "no reprojection".

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Playable settings in Raw Data with a 980ti still result in rough IQ when compared to forward rendered games with MSAA. At least when you define playable as "no reprojection".

Fair enough, I just wanted to make sure. It looked super rough for me at first, the super sampling helped out a bit for me. :3

Durante

You have about 20 different things to take care of in later levels in Raw Data at any point in time, realistic reloading is really not what you want there.

Oh jeez, finally did an extended session with Raw Data, and this was on easy. Holy hell does the game ask a lot of you, to the point where it might be too much, especially if that was only easy.
That's one of my favourite things about Raw Data. It's one of the very few VR-only games which has a significant skill progression.

That's one of my favourite things about Raw Data. It's one of the very few VR-only games which has a significant skill progression.

That's also a thing about motion controlled room scale VR. When a game needs you to be a badass action hero, you actually have to be a bad ass action hero.

Durante

I had never heard of that before, and I follow VR pretty closely. (Goes to show how much stuff is being made)
Looking pretty good, thanks for the heads-up.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I haven't heard of that too. The amount of games coming out on HTC Vive is crazy. We are having what, 4 games released daily.

Zalusithix

You have about 20 different things to take care of in later levels in Raw Data at any point in time, realistic reloading is really not what you want there.

This is true. Realistic gun handling is about 20 different things to take care of in its own right. It doesn't lend itself all that well to impossible odds theatrics. Taking on one enemy in H3VR's meat grinder can require more concentration than a swarm in your typical wave shooter. You can have different weapons and extra magazines holstered to different areas of your body with different ammo types, counts, etc. Trying to manage an encounter is as much of a mental exercise in keeping track of everything as it is a dexterity exercise in actually executing what you're attempting to do.

Edit:
I haven't heard of that too. The amount of games tech demos coming out on HTC Vive is crazy. We are having what, 4 games tech demos released daily.
Get with the program. Vive has no games. ;P

Onemic

Yep, broken lighthouse. There should be a light offset to the side of the large array of LEDs. You can confirm that by taking a picture of the lighthouse that doesn't give you problems. On the down side, you'll have to go through the RMA process. On the plus side, at least you know what's causing your tracking problems and everything should be golden when you get a replacement.

It's like HTC wants me to hate the Vive. Of the 4 months I've owned this device, it's been fully operational for 3 weeks at the most.

And based on HTC's terrible track record,(and one I'm already seeing first hand as their "live support chat" doesnt even respond to your messages) I dont think this is getting repaired any time soon. *sigh*

I guess I can use this like the Oculus Rift and only play seated front facing games until it gets fixed.

derFeef

Speaking of "no games".
I have a friend who also owns a Vive, and he is always saying "there is no game for it yet that makes it worth it". I always aks him what the game would be and the answer is always the same. Just the next game that is not out yet, but is pretty similar to what we already got.

I think there are a lot of games for the Vive, a lot of them are quite good (I have not played in VR for a long time, but that's due to home situation atm.) So I guess he is going to be pretty disappointed a year or so out because I don't feel like the range of games is not going to change much.

Durante

I think one thing that will change is that many of the games currently in development (mostly early access) will be finished. For example, Raw Data and Quivr are progressing at a really good pace (and probably dozens more I am not mentioning).

The other thing is that Fallout 4 VR should be out. I'm very curious about how well they manage that, the previews seem encouraging.

derFeef

Yeah Fallout 4 will be a real first game for many and a real test for the platform.
It's just baffling that we talk about this and Valve themselves are still not supporting/pushing it outside of a minor Dota 2 thing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hopefully Fallout 4 VR is as good as it seems from what we've heard about it until now and I hope it will sell decently enough to encourage other developers to do the same.

I think this kind of full/long games is what's missing the most now.

Played some early parts of the that ghost ride minecart game and holy shit. I don't think I can handle horror in VR. It was scaring the shit out of me left and right and I think it's only just started. Didn't help that my GF grabbed me twice while I was playing to get my attention. I need to teach her about the Knock Knock tool lol.

Is anyone following "The SoulKeeper" ? It looks really promising .They are in a closed alpha stage right now. Here is an old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kMru44xId4

Was wondering about this one. I feel like they've been quiet for a while now.

The other thing is that Fallout 4 VR should be out. I'm very curious about how well they manage that, the previews seem encouraging.

After hearing recent impressions of it, I'm probably more interested in them making a full thing out of Doom VR. Hopefully that's also in the cards.

Onemic

Speaking of "no games".
I have a friend who also owns a Vive, and he is always saying "there is no game for it yet that makes it worth it". I always aks him what the game would be and the answer is always the same. Just the next game that is not out yet, but is pretty similar to what we already got.

I think there are a lot of games for the Vive, a lot of them are quite good (I have not played in VR for a long time, but that's due to home situation atm.) So I guess he is going to be pretty disappointed a year or so out because I don't feel like the range of games is not going to change much.

I mean, he's not wrong.

VR is still in its early stages and the games with the quality we see on console just arent there yet. That should begin to change by the end of 2017 with some of the big publisher VR retrofitted games like FO4 and DOOM, as well as built for VR games like Budget Cuts.

TBH I dont see AA/AAA games becoming a regular thing in VR until 2nd gen VR hits at the very least.

Durante

Hopefully Fallout 4 VR is as good as it seems from what we've heard about it until now and I hope it will sell decently enough to encourage other developers to do the same.

I think this kind of full/long games is what's missing the most now.
Have you played The Solus Project?

It's very much a full game, the only issue with it is the UE4 deferred renderer.

Paganmoon

Have you played The Solus Project?

It's very much a full game, the only issue with it is the UE4 deferred renderer.

Also, as it is a survival game at heart, it doesn't have "save wherever", only saves at certain locations, or when loading new zones. I'd love for them to add a save whenever/wherever option too (in addition to the renderer issues with aliasing).

Durante

Also, as it is a survival game at heart, it doesn't have "save wherever", only saves at certain locations, or when loading new zones. I'd love for them to add a save whenever/wherever option too (in addition to the renderer issues with aliasing).
Well, you can save almost everywhere by sleeping.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I mean, he's not wrong.

VR is still in its early stages and the games with the quality we see on console just arent there yet. That should begin to change by the end of 2017 with some of the big publisher VR retrofitted games like FO4 and DOOM, as well as built for VR games like Budget Cuts.

TBH I dont see AA/AAA games becoming a regular thing in VR until 2nd gen VR hits at the very least.

I feel that the big names in VR isn't going to be the exact same big names on consoles. Just like the major titles on mobile isn't the mobile adoption of major console titles.

pj

Banned
It's like HTC wants me to hate the Vive. Of the 4 months I've owned this device, it's been fully operational for 3 weeks at the most.

And based on HTC's terrible track record,(and one I'm already seeing first hand as their "live support chat" doesnt even respond to your messages) I dont think this is getting repaired any time soon. *sigh*

I guess I can use this like the Oculus Rift and only play seated front facing games until it gets fixed.

Here's a vid I took of mine a while ago when I was playing with my new phone

https://youtu.be/DUny4y6M41k?t=21

If you definitely don't see two lasers then it's a fried basestation. Turn the bad one off as it may be making your tracking worse.

Hopefully HTC will send out a replacement quickly as it's a pretty easy problem to confirm.

Onemic

I feel that the big names in VR isn't going to be the exact same big names on consoles. Just like the major titles on mobile isn't the mobile adoption of major console titles.

You're probably right. Regardless though, my point still stands that it will be a while before those big names/big production games come out. I mean, we're still figuring out the ideal way to handle locomotion.
And no, it's not teleportation ;p

Here's a vid I took of mine a while ago when I was playing with my new phone

https://youtu.be/DUny4y6M41k?t=21

If you definitely don't see two lasers then it's a fried basestation. Turn the bad one off as it may be making your tracking worse.

Hopefully HTC will send out a replacement quickly as it's a pretty easy problem to confirm.

Yup, it's definitely only one laser. Can I still do roomscale with one basestation?

What do you guys recommend for a new owner? I like the archery in Valves game a lot, Job Simulator, and HordeZ. I have an issue with games that move for you on rails but I'm slowly getting used to it in HordeZ.

What do you guys recommend for a new owner? I like the archery in Valves game a lot, Job Simulator, and HordeZ. I have an issue with games that move for you on rails but I'm slowly getting used to it in HordeZ.

QuiVr is free and is actually more fun than the archery in The Lab. Also great and free is the Budget Cuts demo.

I had a lot of fun with Out of Ammo, which seems like an under-played game.

pj

Banned
Yup, it's definitely only one laser. Can I still do roomscale with one basestation?

Depending on its position it might be sufficient for some stuff. If it's pretty high above your head it won't occlude as easily.

Anything with crouching or a lot of spinning around will probably have issues.

Doesn't hurt to try

Durante

Accounting. Seriously. If you thought Job Simulator was funny it will blow your mind -- and it's free too ;)

Are there any news about a possibile sale for the VIve during the holidays ? Is that a good time to buy it or should I just wait the new year ?

Onemic

I thought I saw someone say here that even with a 980 Ti on the absolute lowest settings, that performance was real bad.

It was fine for me at highest settings on a 1080.

Depending on its position it might be sufficient for some stuff. If it's pretty high above your head it won't occlude as easily.

Anything with crouching or a lot of spinning around will probably have issues.

Doesn't hurt to try

I'll try it when I get home. Hopefully the experience wont be too gimped. Im honestly expecting RMA to take a couple months. Hopefully HTC responds quickly to the email I sent them yesterday.

Durante

Do you have to physically lay down in order to sleep in Solus Project?
No, you use a button on your wrist computer thing ;)

That would be an amusing mechanic though.

I thought I saw someone say here that even with a 980 Ti on the absolute lowest settings, that performance was real bad.
I've mostly played it post-asynchronous-reprojection, but on my 1080 I could actually go all the way up beyond the in-game maximum downsampling factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom