• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Finaly tried Rec Room and was pleasantly surprised. It's always fun to see people getting amazed at simple VR things in the lobby when you mess around, and games are quite fun too. Hearing kids getting angry is always a treat to my ear. And everybody laugh and high five, which feels better than other gaming communities...

Only problem I have with rec room is teleportation in the games. Unless you have a really big room, it doesnt translate well at all imo.

Durante

I did my first VR demonstration in a long time today. An old friend I see only 2 or 3 times a year these days visited -- he might be the most successful, in monetary terms, person I know, and usually our talks center on politics or finance. But today, a lot of it was just about VR, its technology and its potential.

I still think that even at this point, a major hurdle to VR adoption beyond the staples of cost, or convenience, or content is still simply the lack of opportunity to try state-of-the-art VR.

dsk1210

Finaly tried Rec Room and was pleasantly surprised. It's always fun to see people getting amazed at simple VR things in the lobby when you mess around, and games are quite fun too. Hearing kids getting angry is always a treat to my ear. And everybody laugh and high five, which feels better than other gaming communities...

I think it's a lot to do with the feeling of actually representing yourself rather than anonymous inhibition removed avatar.

I had someone give me a hand job(without asking) and they conviently held a bucket about my groin area to prevent any mess. Some people might have been offended but I found it pretty funny.

Zalusithix

I still think that even at this point, a major hurdle to VR adoption beyond the staples of cost, or convenience, or content is still simply the lack of opportunity to try state-of-the-art VR.

PSVR is as good as it's going to get for relatively easy opportunities to demo modern VR for some time. The Vive is going to be relegated for many years to a select few specialty stores that can afford the floor space and spare the staffing to properly demo it.

IMO, the only hope in the near term for somewhat widespread access to roomscale experiences is in purpose built businesses like the Vive VR "cafes" that HTC is rolling out in China. A modern revival of the arcade. I have no idea how viable that sort of business will end up being though. Lots of stuff to consider like content, staffing, hygiene, etc.

Makai

PSVR is as good as it's going to get for relatively easy opportunities to demo modern VR for some time. The Vive is going to be relegated for many years to a select few specialty stores that can afford the floor space and spare the staffing to properly demo it.

IMO, the only hope in the near term for somewhat widespread access to roomscale experiences is in purpose built businesses like the Vive VR "cafes" that HTC is rolling out in China. A modern revival of the arcade. I have no idea how viable that sort of business will end up being though. Lots of stuff to consider like content, staffing, hygiene, etc.
VR arcades aren't viable because the headsets get gross instantly. Can't have all those people sharing a machine without staff to clean it out each time.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

HTC is introducing Viveport arcade where it makes licensing of use of those games easier. There are more than 120 apps for viveport arcade, and business owners can offer all these apps while paying the developers depend on how long the apps are used for the business. This allows the developers to have an alternate income source in addition to selling the game in a traditional way.

Staffing and hygiene usually goes hand in hand, so i dont see any problem here.

China, Taiwan, Japan and other Asia countries is adopting VR in a very huge way now. It is certainly not just a few stores. Bandai Namco just concluded their limited period Vr Zone arcade experience in Japan too, and they have announced they will be returning for more.

Zalusithix

VR arcades aren't viable because the headsets get gross instantly. Can't have all those people sharing a machine without staff to clean it out each time.
Well yeah, these places will have staff. That's something to be factored into the cost.

HTC is introducing Viveport arcade where it makes licensing of use of those games easier. There are more than 120 apps for viveport arcade, and business owners can offer all these apps while paying the developers depend on how long the apps are used for the business. This allows the developers to have an alternate income source in addition to selling the game in a traditional way.

Staffing and hygiene usually goes hand in hand, so i dont see any problem here.

China, Taiwan, Japan and other Asia countries is adopting VR in a very huge way now. It is certainly not just a few stores. Bandai Namco just concluded their limited period Vr Zone arcade experience in Japan too, and they have announced they will be returning for more.
Valve has site licenses too, so there's multiple options there. Staffing and hygiene go hand in hand to some extent, but hygiene is an added cost. Cleaning supplies, frequent replacement of interfaces, etc add up.

What I'm saying though is that just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you'll actually be profitable doing it. Asia is one of the last bastions of the arcade. If there was any place on earth that VR arcades have a chance of doing well, it's there. That doesn't mean it'll work out in Europe or the Americas.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well yeah, these places will have staff. That's something to be factored into the cost.

Valve has site licenses too, so there's multiple options there. Staffing and hygiene go hand in hand to some extent, but hygiene is an added cost. Cleaning supplies, frequent replacement of interfaces, etc add up.

What I'm saying though is that just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you'll actually be profitable doing it. Asia is one of the last bastions of the arcade. If there was any place on earth that VR arcades have a chance of doing well, it's there. That doesn't mean it'll work out in Europe or the Americas.

HTC is recommending disposable paper cover. I am not sure what other cleaning supplies are needed. There are already successful cases of VR cafes in Asia, and with Bandai Namco bringing back its limited time period vr arcade initiative, its hard to say that there isn't any potential for profit in regard with this. Though I believe HTC is going to just be slowly dipping their toes in the US and Europe.

From what I know, they have already initiatives to collaborate with content creators to create contents that are more suitable for VR cafes/arcades use than private home use.

Onemic

Dirt Rally has to be undoubtedly one of the best VR games available. It's the closest thing to a AAA game experience you can get in VR atm.

It was already great without VR, but in VR it's on another level. It also doesnt have as much of an aliasing problem as Project: Cars does, so it helps immensely when gauging turns.

Prat

Dirt Rally has to be undoubtedly one of the best VR games available. It's the closest thing to a AAA game experience you can get in VR atm.

It was already great without VR, but in VR it's on another level. It also doesnt have as much of an aliasing problem as Project: Cars does, so it helps immensely when gauging turns.

But you need to play it with ReVive, dont you? Does this limit the potential of the game? I mean, would it be better technically speaking if the game had native support for Vive? I have been very close to buy it, but this bugs me a little.

But you need to play it with ReVive, dont you? Does this limit the potential of the game? I mean, would it be better technically speaking if the game had native support for Vive? I have been very close to buy it, but this bugs me a little.

ReVive does have a performance impact, but it's relatively minor. I understand the "it bugs me" part, but realize there are lots of games and software out there that could be more optimized given unlimited time and resources—if you only buy games that are perfect, you're limiting yourself a ton.

I've said this before, but the current VR content library is too small for us to be limiting ourselves to these sorts of things. ReVive works great, there's no reason not to make use of it.

Onemic

The new Revive patch eliminates most of the performance issues that plagued the game before. pre-patch the game was unplayable to me(I have a 1080 and an i5-6600K) no matter the settings. Now post-patch and with the new Steam VR beta branch with ATW, I play with everything on ultra and the game is silky smooth. If you dont want ATW, you can put everything on ultra and turn down the shader option and you'll get a constant 90FPS

taoofjord

I've had the Vive since launch but only just started getting this issue about a month ago. The horizon is always at a 3-5% tilt after calibrating. Not sure what's going on, any ideas?

Helznicht

I cant get Dirt to work. I drag the DRT.exe on the X64 injector, a little loading window pops up then nothing. I just updated revive and the injector files to the latest.

Another way to start exist?

Paganmoon

So anyone tried the Soulkeeper Alpha yet? Not digging the movement, and not digging menu's and text being locked to the HMD, but it does look good, and I really like the handmovement to get spells to cast (reminds me of casters in EarthDawn having to "weave" their spells).

Munter

I caved and bought one, as I got an 8% discount (every little helps). Now to trawl through this thread for game recommendations :D

Zalusithix

After messing around in Audioshield, I finally know what some of the misses are. With the kite shields, the edge of the long side towards the center doesn't trigger as a hit until it intersects with the center of the orb. Anything less doesn't count as a collision and the orb will phase through the shield. The top of the shield doesn't exhibit this sort of behavior. So either the collision handling of the shield needs to be changed, or the model itself altered to reflect the way it behaves since you can't visually trust it. I think there's other collision issues beyond that, but at least that one is easily reproducible.

So yeah, knowing the dev's attentiveness to the game, perhaps that'll be fixed sometime in 2017. =P
Why do I actually have to like this game?

Durante

High Fidelity now has a Steam page. It seems to be basically Second Life VR, which I always expected to be the ultimate form of human expression back when Second Life was in beta and I was young.

Now I'm not quite so enthused, but still curious.

derFeef

"The SoulKeeper" Alpha is out for subscribers. There is not much in there, you can try combat and magic for a little bit on dummies, but it looks quite good. Sadly shimmering is a huge problem, even with high AA setings.

GlamFM

Banned
Hooked up my VIVE again after at least 2 months.

What did I miss?

What must have games or demos have come out since?

Last things I got were the brookhaven experiment and Rec Room

Orgun

Is it possible to use extension cables to use the Vive? I have the space for room scale but that area is no where near my PC!

kinggroin

Banned

What did I miss?

can't speak to a release timeline, so these are just generally highly recommended by me:

Onward, Accounting, Art of Fight, Duckpocalypse, Project Cars Pagani Edition, H3VR, Ghost Town Mine Cart, Carnival Games, Pool Nation, Vivecraft, The Lab, Waltz of the Wizard, Big Screen, Retro Arcade Neon, Solus Project, House of the Dying Sun, Alt Space, Destinations, Portal Stories, Holoball, Holopoiny, Found, Eleven: Table Tennis, Keep Talking, Nobody Explodes, Nvidia Fun house, Elite Dangerous, and finally the Revive injector tool (let's you play nearly all Oculus games).

Is it possible to use extension cables to use the Vive? I have the space for room scale but that area is no where near my PC!

Yes, but use high quality compliant ones

GlamFM

Banned
can't speak to a release timeline, so these are just generally highly recommended by me:

Onward, Accounting, Art of Fight, Duckpocalypse, Project Cars Pagani Edition, H3VR, Ghost Town Mine Cart, Carnival Games, Pool Nation, Vivecraft, The Lab, Waltz of the Wizard, Big Screen, Retro Arcade Neon, Solus Project, House of the Dying Sun, Alt Space, Destinations, Portal Stories, Holoball, Holopoiny, Found, Eleven: Table Tennis, Keep Talking, Nobody Explodes, Nvidia Fun house, Elite Dangerous, and finally the Revive injector tool (let's you play nearly all Oculus games).

Yes, but use high quality compliant ones

Thanks! Never heard of most of these games - will check them out.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

What did I miss?

The Golf Club and Zaccaria Pinball are two of the best existing games that have made the move to VR..

I've been noticing one of my controllers is subtly not tracking correctly. It doesn't really affect gameplay (I'm the only one who seems to notice out of my friends who use it), but there's a slight shakiness to it. It's really noticeable when I place both controllers on the floor. One is sitting there rock solid while the other is jittery.

Any ideas what it could be? Is one of my controllers busted?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I've been noticing one of my controllers is subtly not tracking correctly. It doesn't really affect gameplay (I'm the only one who seems to notice out of my friends who use it), but there's a slight shakiness to it. It's really noticeable when I place both controllers on the floor. One is sitting there rock solid while the other is jittery.

Any ideas what it could be? Is one of my controllers busted?

Is the firmware up to date on everything?

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm moving to a new place that'll actually have enough room for a Vive. Since I haven't looked at them in awhile, is there any reason I should hold off? I'm pretty set on the Vive above all the other headsets, I just need to know if I should wait because of price drop/new version/whatever.

Durante

So I'm moving to a new place that'll actually have enough room for a Vive. Since I haven't looked at them in awhile, is there any reason I should hold off? I'm pretty set on the Vive above all the other headsets, I just need to know if I should wait because of price drop/new version/whatever.
The latest news is out of the Steam Dev Days, and mostly concerning cost reduction in some of the key components (lighthouses and sensors). So some future price reduction is possible, but no idea about the timeframe (Valve time and all).

Melon Husk

I'd reckon an anniversary 1.5 update. Makes sense for HTC to cut costs on their manufacturing process as quickly as they can. Reduced complexity will make the headset slightly lighter.

Zalusithix

The latest news is out of the Steam Dev Days, and mostly concerning cost reduction in some of the key components (lighthouses and sensors). So some future price reduction is possible, but no idea about the timeframe (Valve time and all).

I've read a few things at this point about HTC insinuating that they'll be showing something at CES 2017. Probably end up being a Vive 1.5 with the new lighthouses, tracker chips and ergonomics changes. Basically a cost reduction and refinement model. Of course announcement and availability are two different things.

jaypah

Is there no way to adjust the world in Dirt Rally? I don't remember it being bad when I used to play it on DK2 but the car feels tiny now. All I can find are seat adjustmemts. Or maybe I'm just in a tiny car lol

There's a new video up about the John Wick game (which I had almost forgotten about).

Interesting, I have to say though that it looks kind of strange seeing all these action/shooting games and you as the player are mostly glued to one spot. I know why they do it but I still wish there would be some kind of movement that makes it look less static.

Durante

Interesting, I have to say though that it looks kind of strange seeing all these action/shooting games and you as the player are mostly glued to one spot. I know why they do it but I still wish there would be some kind of movement that makes it look less static.
Well, when it comes to movement in a VR action game I think Raw Data is one of the best at encouraging it (due to level and skill design). See e.g. here.
But I do think that type of gameplay is a bit less accessible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How can I check for dead/stuck pixels? Selling my vive and the potential buyer wants me to confirm no dead/stuck pixels

duppolo

i have to ask guys who have this a question. i read much, but i want to isten to some user experience: how much space it needs? if i have a sitting room with pc desk, television and couch can i play this? maybe i should play vive 2 if no camera and cable will be required?

Durante

i have to ask guys who have this a question. i read much, but i want to isten to some user experience: how much space it needs?
The Vive itself -- as in the HMD -- doesn't need any more space than any other VR device.

What determines space requirements are the games. Those are grouped into "sitting", "standing" and "room-scale" experiences.
For sitting, as the name implies, you just need space to sit.
For standing, you need space to stand in place and extend your arms in every direction.
For room-scale, space requirements vary.

To give you a rough idea of how this plays out in terms of games, currently these are the numbers on Steam for Vive games:
- 543 can be played either seated or standing
- 94 require room scale

That seems to be quite representative of my personal experience. Most games want you to play standing with 360° tracking, but only a smaller portion actually requires room-scale.

duppolo

yes but i see some games that required room scale experience and i would really like to experience that kind of thing...the question is if i can make space in the middle of the sitting room (put back couch and play in between from the couch and the television) or do u think its not possible...maybe in a 2 x 2 area

SimplexPL

To experience room scale you need rooms pace - 2,5x2,5 meters is the minimum in my opinion (I mean to really experience it, not to be boxed in by the chaperone at all times).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom