• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

duppolo

but dont i risk to stumble or break something? or if i go to option and say 2,5X2,5 meter ill have something that will tell me i cant go further?

MaDKaT

but dont i risk to stumble or break something? or if i go to option and say 2,5X2,5 meter ill have something that will tell me i cant go further?

The chaperone system will light up when you get close to your boundary. When Im set up in the living room(4mx4.5m) I have it set to light up when my feet get close to the couches, TV stand but know my arms still have some play left. In my office(2.75x3m), I have it setup to so I know I only have about 10 inches before I hit the walls.

Durante

Absolutely, that's the Chaperone boundary. It shows you your defined boundaries in VR, and comes up automatically over all other content as soon as you get near them (it's configurable how near you can get).

You configure it by walking around your play space with a controller in your hand.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

There's a "Chaperone" system that display a grid whenever you're close to the bounds of your play area.

Dirt Rally has to be undoubtedly one of the best VR games available. It's the closest thing to a AAA game experience you can get in VR atm.

It was already great without VR, but in VR it's on another level. It also doesnt have as much of an aliasing problem as Project: Cars does, so it helps immensely when gauging turns.

Dirt Rally is definitely a must buy for any driving fan. Also, Dirt Rally more so than any other VR game I've played, benefits immensely from super sampling, depth perception, sight distance, and aliasing is improved. With that said, I've been playing Assetto Corsa more than any other game in VR (Rift). I drift IRL, and drifting in AC is a lot of fun and makes for good practice lol.

It's amazing how immersive / exciting it is to drive door to door online with buddies. This has been the best experience I've had in VR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fYnwnJD_4E

Munter

So I just tried the No Limits rollercoaster demo. I was stood up for the first few seconds, but my legs started getting wobbly and I thought I was going to fall over, so I knelt down for the rest of it. I now think I'm going to be sick.

Hm, I'm still having tracking issues and it seems to be getting worse. Before it was a slight stutter with the controllers, but now they don't even seem to be 1:1. I can tap the controllers together and they will completely overlap now. I've also noticed that the VR floor is now slanted :/ All of these problems have started popping up in the last couple days.

I've checked the firmware and everything is updated, I've run the room setup again, I've turned off the Vive camera, I've checked that the lighthouses are mounted tightly. Not sure what else to do.

derFeef

I am still unsure how to use Revive. So if I have a game on Steam that supports Oculus but not the Vive, I can use this to make it work?

Durante

Hm, I'm still having tracking issues and it seems to be getting worse. Before it was a slight stutter with the controllers, but now they don't even seem to be 1:1. I can tap the controllers together and they will completely overlap now. I've also noticed that the VR floor is now slanted :/ All of these problems have started popping up in the last couple days.

I've checked the firmware and everything is updated, I've run the room setup again, I've turned off the Vive camera, I've checked that the lighthouses are mounted tightly. Not sure what else to do.
Check the lighthouses with your cell phone camera and see if the horizontal and vertical laser sweeps are both visible on both lighthouses.

Check the lighthouses with your cell phone camera and see if the horizontal and vertical laser sweeps are both visible on both lighthouses.

Sorry, should've mentioned I did that too. One lighthouse looks slightly brighter than the other but all the lights/lasers are there.

krumble

Are you on the SteamVR Beta branch or main branch? could affect it

Are you on the SteamVR Beta branch or main branch? could affect it

Oh my, I am on the beta branch. I didn't even think about that since I've had the beta installed since I got my Vive a couple weeks ago (for async reprojection). Maybe a new update fucked something up. I will switch back to the main branch after work and report back.

Durante

FWIW, I've been on the beta branch basically since launch and I never had tracking issues. So I hope for you that going back to stable fixes it, but I doubt it :/

Bleh. This is so annoying.

Any radio or cell phone towers go up near you over the past few days?

A Gaffer had that problem a while ago If I remember correctly and needed an IR choke or something put on his cable. If this is the case you can contact HTC and see if you can get ahold of an engineer like he did and they may send one to you for free.

A Gaffer had that problem a while ago If I remember correctly and needed an IR choke or something put on his cable. If this is the case you can contact HTC and see if you can get ahold of an engineer like he did and they may send one to you for free.

Looking at the FCC registered towers, I've got some nearby but they're a few blocks away.

I'll try out a couple other things I've read online (uninstalling AI suite, switching lighthouses) and then contact HTC if those fail. I've just heard they're kind of a pain in the ass to deal with so I'm not looking forward to it.

I've also read USB 3.0 ports can cause issues, but my computer doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports to switch to.

Zalusithix

Actually it went well beyond a simple ferrite choke on the cable. Valve ended up sending him a special linkbox with hacked together shielding.

His case was rather unique though and was consistent based on time. Radio station off = worked perfect. Radio station on = tracking went to hell. Unless Vertigo_X is playing at different times now than he was before, I'm guessing he's not experiencing the same thing.

Durante

I'm always amused when obscure VR stuff by a random Chinese company shows up on Steam. I get a feeling that they are actually disproportionately adopting VR (development) there.

Or maybe it's proportionate, and their low representation in all other types of development is not. (If you look just at population this is probably far more likely)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm always amused when obscure VR stuff by a random Chinese company shows up on Steam. I get a feeling that they are actually disproportionately adopting VR (development) there.

Or maybe it's proportionate, and their low representation in all other types of development is not. (If you look just at population this is probably far more likely)

Yeah, there was quite a market for used DK2 being picked up by Chinese buyers on ebay for a while. Not sure if that's still the case. It would be interesting to hear what's been going on over there.

The game looks promising. That backtick in the name is bugging me though, lol. Reminds me of Steins;Gate, although at least that title had an in-lore explanation eventually.

Edit: watched the video and there's a weird mix of Gundam agility and stompy mech at different times. The walking animation seems a bit off. Will see how it plays later.

SimplexPL

Engrish is the best part: "Players will simulate driving armor in the fight on Earth."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Lethal!!!

Lethal VR: A potent VR shooter from the creators of Burnout https://t.co/9cpAS1Dack

Hey, yet another gallery shooter, but this looks like fun too.

Huw much is Lethal going to cost?

12 euro at this moment. (there's a launch discount)

Nice to see the first mech game (as far as I know). I wonder how well it will play. Maybe some impressions or user reviews tomorrow will clarify it. But I'm watching it.

Lemonte

Trackmania Turbo received VR campaign today. I made short gameplay video. It's surprisingly good but it's really shame you can only play that VR campaign in VR. Campaign has 40 tracks, 10 in each environment. I get nausea quite easily but I didn't feel a thing while playing TMT in vr for like 40min.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Played accounting and liked it a lot, but the very first section after the opening had me dragging my headset off immediately to check the audio wasn't being mirrored loudly to my speakers - have kids in the house.

Does vive default to not mirror audio?

cakefoo

Played accounting and liked it a lot, but the very first section after the opening had me dragging my headset off immediately to check the audio wasn't being mirrored loudly to my speakers - have kids in the house.

Does vive default to not mirror audio?
I think I have mine at defaults
ZnjEk2q.png

Tain

Trackmania Turbo received VR campaign today. I made short gameplay video. It's surprisingly good but it's really shame you can only play that VR campaign in VR. Campaign has 40 tracks, 10 in each environment. I get nausea quite easily but I didn't feel a thing while playing TMT in vr for like 40min.

ugh

You can't just play any old custom track in VR?

"You can't just play any old custom track in VR?"

No, I posted about it in the PSVR thread, but essentially the tracks are designed a very specific way to account for motion sickness. Largely only straight with slight curves, the only big curves/corkscrews are on wallrides/loops where the camera changes to bumper cam. Otherwise, the tracks are designed such that the camera moves on a strictly straight path. The car moves independently of the camera as well.

"You can't just play any old custom track in VR?"

No, I posted about it in the PSVR thread, but essentially the tracks are designed a very specific way to account for motion sickness. Largely only straight with slight curves, the only big curves/corkscrews are on wallrides/loops where the camera changes to bumper cam. Otherwise, the tracks are designed such that the camera moves on a strictly straight path. The car moves independently of the camera as well.
I want to play track mania in vr without limits

I dont get any motion sickness from anything in VR though

SimplexPL

My SteamVR audio settings never save. Whenever I reset my PC they go back to their default settings.

Same here. Another annoying thing that happens, is that randomly at quitting SteamVR my main Speakers to not become the default device back again (as they should) and I have to set it manually, or I have no sound.

So I have been having for some time a problem with the base station never going into standby. Has been happening ever since I got the replacement base station back from HTC. The bluetooth communication works cause I updated the firmware wirelessly the other day.

Running VR beta and the base stations are connected via the link cable.

Any ideas anyone?

Prat

So, no first person camera inside the "car"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom