• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahepi

Finally got my Vive after two weeks of waiting, i bought theblu demo from steam and it was such an amazing experience, it was really something else, my girlfriend tried it and she just loved it, i was afraid she would get dizzy (she can't play games on flat monitors because she feels sick after some time) but it did not happen with Vive.

I am planning of getting chair in the room, impatientally waiting to end this week and start playing more games!

Tracking issue seems fixed. Either disabling the camera or bluetooth did it. I was too lazy to really debug to figure out what caused it so I'm just leaving both off.

Durante

Tracking issue seems fixed. Either disabling the camera or bluetooth did it. I was too lazy to really debug to figure out what caused it so I'm just leaving both off.
It's probably the camera, and if so it's probably actually a USB compatibility/performance issue (and by having the camera active too much USB bandwidth was used).

Anyway, great that you got it fixed (and good that you mentioned the potential causes, now we have something else to put on the list of things to try in case someone gets tracking issues).

Ferrio

Banned
Finally pulled the trigger, needed something to cheer me up. They aren't backordered are they? I kinda need it to get here before the end of the month.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I dont think they are backorder but it seems stock is going pretty smooth. It havent been released in many countries yet

Anyone play Emily wants to play in VR? Its freaking terrifying.

I didn't like how the player turns its head and moves around while I'm just standing there. Had to turn it off. I'm looking for more horror games though. Chair in a Room was fantastic.

Finally pulled the trigger, needed something to cheer me up. They aren't backordered are they? I kinda need it to get here before the end of the month.

I ordered mine from Newegg and it was surprisingly delivered the very next day using standard delivery. I must have a distribution facility near me.

"Finally pulled the trigger, needed something to cheer me up. They aren't backordered are they? I kinda need it to get here before the end of the month."

They're shipping pretty much instantly from everywhere you can order them from now. Microsoft Store, Direct from HTC, Newegg, etc.

Durante

Anyone mess around with High Fidelity yet? Only tested it out real quick for about 15 minutes because it was having performance problems and the UI is kind of clunky right now, but it has some potential.
I haven't tried it yet (and won't have time soon), but I'm really curious. I always think of these virtual collaborative platforms as the true endgame.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What do you guys think about Arizona Shunshine? Seems like it might be really polished.

It has been in development for quite a while. I have high hope for it

There are some updates on the release dates of some VR games
Munch VR - Coming to 2017
Subject 264 -May 2017
Siegecraft Commander - 17 Jan 2017
8-Bit Arena- 1 Dec 2016
Where’s the Fck*ng Light? - Dec 2016
Snowday - Dec 2016 Early Access (Q2 2017 full game)
Counter Fight - 14 Nov 2016
Bullet Sorrow - 29 Nov 2016
Craft Keep - 12 Nov 2016

Haven't touched my Vive since early September. I can't keep the lighthouses up because of my living situation right now, and placing them correctly + setting up the room takes a good hour.

I'm going to do it tonight though. I need an escape from this presidential election.

Given that I'm only going to have 3-4 hours at most, what new stuff should I play?

Zalusithix

Haven't touched my Vive since early September. I can't keep the lighthouses up because of my living situation right now, and placing them correctly + setting up the room takes a good hour.

I'm going to do it tonight though. I need an escape from this presidential election.

Given that I'm only going to have 3-4 hours at most, what new stuff should I play?

Accounting.

I'll echo Accounting. I wish I saved it for this week because I could use a good laugh.

Serious Sam is good too, but a bit pricey. Not sure if it's worth the price at the moment.

I've really been enjoying Out of Ammo as well.

So reaction to using my Vive again after 2½ months away:
• Field of View is worse than I remembered (and this is with the thinner, aftermarket foam from VRCovers).
• Comfort is worse than I remembered.
• Sense of presence is better than I remembered.

I ended up spending most of the time replaying old games, with one exception: Allumette. It was really impressive, and everyone should go try it if they haven't already. Two major criticisms, though:
  • I'm not sure why they went for the "you're a giant floating in space" viewpoint. It takes away a lot of the advantages of VR, and made the fantastical environment far less impressive than it could have been.
  • The story just kind of ends. I'm not sure how it could have been resolved, but I wish it was all the same.
I still need to try Accounting at some point... I wasn't in the mood for it tonight. I'm also not sure if it's my type of humor... this might sound dumb but I found all the cursing in the trailer kind of off-putting.

Also... I made a point of downloading and backing up the version of SteamVR with better black levels, but I didn't notice a change. Is 1477423729 the right version? If not, crap.

Zalusithix

I still need to try Accounting at some point... I wasn't in the mood for it tonight. I'm also not sure if it's my type of humor... this might sound dumb but I found all the cursing in the trailer kind of off-putting.

The humor works better in game than in a video, but if you're offended by cursing, then you're probably not going to get much out of Accounting. While the game has more to it than cursing, the humor isn't exactly wholesome.

I think I'll hold off a bit on the wireless thing for now. I'm excited, but I want to read some impressions on how much of a hassle the battery pack is. I already feel like a self-decorating Christmas tree when I put on my Vive with earbuds now, so adding more components to that process needs to remove more problems than it creates.

I gave Accounting two playthroughs tonight. It's cute, but very, very rough around the edges. There's not a ton of interactions, and I thought there'd be way more secrets, but I only found one,
the "acid" music
, not counting what may be a hint on
the whiteboard, the unfinished word
. Characters only react to elements in a very specific way, and if you want to hear most of the dialogue, you need to stand there for a long time while they ramble. Some of them talk in loops, but don't always loop correctly, others just stop talking, and most of it is Justin Roiland and friends just saying the first thing off the top of their heads. I got a kick out of that for Car Talk in Job Simulator, but here it's just rambling, intentionally stuttering over and over, and bouts of cussing. Even some of the interactions can be buggy, like
getting the knife to stab into the King
. And at the end of the game, it seems to just freeze on a black screen, and I mean freeze.

It's alright for a once-through, but I'm glad it's free. Even as a short experience, it could use a lot of quality-of-life improvements.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So like I said before I'm looking to grab a vive hopefully next week. My question is if I do buy it, is there anything on the horizon that will make me regret my purchase? I know there will eventually be a better headset because that's just a given, but am I okay to pay $1400 AUD on this amazing hardware and not fear it'll be replaced in the next few months?

Has Valve set up the Vive to be modular or backwards compatible with newer tech?

Munter

I've been asked if there are any plans for an XBox VR headset. I haven't read much into it, so I was hoping you good folks would be able to help. Do we know if the XBox is planning to use the current tech (rift, vive etc.) or are they going to be bringing out their own headset? Is the hololens still a thing? Thanks in advance.

Helznicht

I've been asked if there are any plans for an XBox VR headset. I haven't read much into it, so I was hoping you good folks would be able to help. Do we know if the XBox is planning to use the current tech (rift, vive etc.) or are they going to be bringing out their own headset? Is the hololens still a thing? Thanks in advance.

They announced partnerships recently with several companies making HMDs. Looks like they are sharing some tech from hololenz with these providers (inside out positioning?). Occulus and HTC were not on the list.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/13418156/microsoft-windows-10-holographic-virtual-reality-headset-announced-price

They have there own standard for VR through Win10 and Hololenz. I would assume any vendor that supports that will find a way onto xbox eventually. I would not expect Occulus or HTC/Vive to do that.

kinggroin

Banned
So reaction to using my Vive again after 2½ months away:
• Field of View is worse than I remembered (and this is with the thinner, aftermarket foam from VRCovers).
• Comfort is worse than I remembered.
• Sense of presence is better than I remembered.

I ended up spending most of the time replaying old games, with one exception: Allumette. It was really impressive, and everyone should go try it if they haven't already. Two major criticisms, though:
  • I'm not sure why they went for the "you're a giant floating in space" viewpoint. It takes away a lot of the advantages of VR, and made the fantastical environment far less impressive than it could have been.
  • The story just kind of ends. I'm not sure how it could have been resolved, but I wish it was all the same.

Also... I made a point of downloading and backing up the version of SteamVR with better black levels, but I didn't notice a change. Is 1477423729 the right version? If not, crap.

How do you pick which version??

The right one is whichever version introduced ATW

How is locomotion handled? Im watching parts of it and he always only seems to be in one area and never moving.
So they are turning it into a wave shooter? Bummer if true.
Yeah, looks mostly to be a wave shooter (though it's not endless). They did mention they plan on adding melee weapons though, and there's a whole other level they show later that puts you on a minecart which makes it more of a rail shooter. Then the whole tavern lobby is there and they apparently let you teleport around that to preset nodes. Like I said, it seems pretty early. I don't think even they know exactly what all or how much they're going to put in it.

Anyone else try the new beta branch of QuiVR? It's really different. Totally new map and switch up of mechanics. Instead of an endless wave, the map has multiple gates. You basically have to push back the enemy until you can physically move up and take back the next gate which then has to be held after you take it. Basically pushing the enemy back with increasingly harder enemies as you progress. They've started implementing some of the enemies that shoot back at you. Has the new character/bow/quiver models in it too. Right now the shooting feels off (like you don't have as much power behind your shots) and I'm not a fan of the map design or teleportation node placement (maybe it's just the combo of the two), but it's VERY early. Like earlier and more unpolished than the default branch, but you can get a glimpse of what they're shooting for in the final version.

MaDKaT

Finally set my office room back up for VR after a fairly long hiatus and damn I forgot how awesome it was. Love that a lot of games have updated to include more SS, AA and other graphic options. Anyway, I am scoping out some new games. How is Serious Sam? Anyone tried Redout? Videos of both seem pretty cool.

Pazu

games i'm excited to try: Onward (anyone playing this?), Dead Secret

games I really enjoy: Rec Room, Vanishing Realms, Cosmic Trip, BLARP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom