• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

The locomotion systems are very different imo. Climbey has you move your arms like you're walking in place, AoF has you move a single arm like using a ski pole.

This.

As I said last page, I think Climbey's system is better and would be near-perfect if we could detach head-direction from our swinging hands - so we could walk left while looking right, etc. As it is right now, sometimes I want to be walking forward while looking right at the rest of the level, and the game won't let me. I look right while swinging my hands and start turning right.

kinggroin

Banned
Thanks!

Is there away to re-calibrate the headset to think its vertical when I'm horizontal? Say, I'm lying down but it things I'm standing. So I can just play in bed but move normally with a controller? Or will this floating environment work out for this?

I live and die for immersion, but I also live for being horizontal as much as possible in my life.

Yeah man that's what I'm saying. No need to trick the system.

Lay down in the in-game environment, and grab your VR TV, and float it above your head. It will anchor itself anywhere you move it.

Watch the trailer:

https://youtu.be/aIFAcUSD0Fc

Gameplay

https://youtu.be/t69-0Y3WV4g

Zalusithix

SomTervo

Err, I know it has the meat grinder level and all, but I really don't think H3VR is suited for either the open world or survival tag. I think it's better suited for the shooting gallery or simulator categories. Ideally the simulator one as that's what all of its modes revolve around - (mostly) accurate simulation of guns and their handling.

I haven't played the game but this was my impression as well.

Thanks!

Is there away to re-calibrate the headset to think its vertical when I'm horizontal? Say, I'm lying down but it things I'm standing. So I can just play in bed but move normally with a controller? Or will this floating environment work out for this?

I live and die for immersion, but I also live for being horizontal as much as possible in my life.

Note that lying down while wearing the Vive is very uncomfortable IMO.

The locomotion systems are very different imo. Climbey has you move your arms like you're walking in place, AoF has you move a single arm like using a ski pole.

Not if you wanna go fast. You can do one arm for movement once you're in position, or if you're expecting an enemy, but if you're wanting to really buck it you've gotta use both arms for maximum speed.

I think that the momentum in AoF needs work, for a bit more fluidity, but other than that it's likely my favorite movement implementation.

SomTervo

Not if you wanna go fast. You can do one arm for movement once you're in position, or if you're expecting an enemy, but if you're wanting to really buck it you've gotta use both arms for maximum speed.

I think that the momentum in AoF needs work, for a bit more fluidity, but other than that it's likely my favorite movement implementation.

Yeah, it's the momentum which kills it IMO.

Durante

I been working on this for a day or two, so here are all the good games (at least I feel) on Steam for HTC Vive
I disagree with categorizing Raw Data as a "wave shooter". I mean, there are waves, but when I play the game I don't shoot and there is a whole lot of locomotion involved (while people usually associate wave shooter with something more static).

Nice list though other than that!

While we're at it picking at the list ;)

Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shootin' Gallery is only 50-60% of a railshooter, you walk around freely quite a bit in that game.

does anyone have audioshield? it looks cool but a bit simple, does the gameplay get old quickly?

I really like it. I've heard good things about Soundboxing too, but haven't tried it.

My main gripe with it is the damn UI, it looks so damn amatuer. Someone send these poor devs a UI designer.

Zalusithix

does anyone have audioshield? it looks cool but a bit simple, does the gameplay get old quickly?

Simple? Mechanically, sure. Practically, not so much. Like most rhythm games, the challenge is in achieving what you're trying to do, not figuring out what to do. Unlike virtually every other rhythm game, however, there's no memorizing patterns in Audioshield. There's a random seed aspect to the generation so the same song will produce different patterns each time.

If you enjoy the core gameplay and have a music collection that works in the procedural generation algorithm's favor, I think it's a great title to return to repeatedly. I'm at ~57 hours logged with the game so far and not tired with the gameplay at all. I am somewhat annoyed with some of the bugs and general lack up updates despite being one of the biggest sellers for VR, but that's another can of worms.

Tain

One of my beefs with Audioshield is that the purple combined shield counts for blocking individual orange/blue notes. Maybe those hits count for less score-wise, I'm not sure, but if so that would tie into my broader structural issues with the game (no pass/fail concept for songs, only scoring, which is less appealing to me but probably an easier fit for a game without manually-created charts).

I still think it's pretty fun, so I don't want to dissuade anyone.

Zalusithix

One of my beefs with Audioshield is that the purple combined shield counts for blocking individual orange/blue notes.

The purple shield does not count for anything other than purple orbs. What you're thinking of is a byproduct of how it's created when not using buttons to bring it up; you overlap your shields. This means that whatever phases through one is caught by the other. I admit to cheesing things like this when first starting the game, but I find that the functionality doesn't really matter at the higher difficulties. The overlapping is actually detrimental at the highest difficulty. When you need to move from left to right and do switch overs constantly, having a single shield point is nearly useless regardless of whether it can block everything. Then there's the vision blocking aspect of the purple shield that makes it harder to see and prepare for what's coming up. Finally, you can't really be active with an overlapping shield which will tank the non-technical aspect of the score.

I have other beefs with the game's scoring (technical weighted too much) and mechanics (stepping back makes things easier, unlimited pausing), but the overlapping shields is not one of them.

I really like it. I've heard good things about Soundboxing too, but haven't tried it.

My main gripe with it is the damn UI, it looks so damn amatuer. Someone send these poor devs a UI designer.

I REALLY like Soundboxing. Making beats is just as fun as playing them. The only problem with it is finding good beat maps since they're all user generated and there is a crap ton of anime songs cluttering almost every filter option. They just added support to follow creators you like though so they're making efforts to improve findability.

EDIT:
Survios just got $50 million from their last investment round so they should be good for a while. One of the investors is MGM and it sounds like this could mean some MGM properties being handled by them.

Tain

The purple shield does not count for anything other than purple orbs. What you're thinking of is a byproduct of how it's created when not using buttons to bring it up; you overlap your shields. This means that whatever phases through one is caught by the other. I admit to cheesing things like this when first starting the game, but I find that the functionality doesn't really matter at the higher difficulties. The overlapping is actually detrimental at the highest difficulty. When you need to move from left to right and do switch overs constantly, having a single shield point is nearly useless regardless of whether it can block everything. Then there's the vision blocking aspect of the purple shield that makes it harder to see and prepare for what's coming up. Finally, you can't really be active with an overlapping shield which will tank the non-technical aspect of the score.

I have other beefs with the game's scoring (technical weighted too much) and mechanics (stepping back makes things easier, unlimited pausing), but the overlapping shields is not one of them.

My instinct would be to have wrong-color contact count as a harsher penalty of some kind instead of being a neutral action (again, if there were pass/fail health in the first place), but that makes sense in the existing structure. And you're right that it's not a really big deal when the charts demand you separate your hands anyway.

I'm sick of teleporting. I played a bunch of vorpx, I can control games just like normal just fine in VR. I know it gets people sick, but I seem to be ok. Just give me the option to control my game like a NORMAL video game.

Tain

I'm sick of teleporting. I played a bunch of vorpx, I can control games just like normal just fine in VR. I know it gets people sick, but I seem to be ok. Just give me the option to control my game like a NORMAL video game.

The best compromise so far is what I see in Onward and that Weekend demo over at https://notdead.itch.io/weekend. Slower artificial locomotion, no artificial rotation. This requires 360-degree tracking (or notched artificial rotation for forward-facing setups I guess), but I'm okay with that.

I see people liking vorpx stuff, but honestly the point of that is completely lost on me. When I want to play a normal video game, I'll play a normal video game.

Onemic

Vorpx is garbage to me. Too much tweaking to get stuff working in game and when you do, the result is always worse than any modded to VR game.(Unless this changed recently as I havent used Vorpx since June) The 3D is totally off in HL2 for example and part of your HUD is always obscured. I dont get sick from Vorpx, but it feels really weird being in HL2 or any other Vorpx enabled game because everything just feels off.

The best compromise so far is what I see in Onward and that Weekend demo over at https://notdead.itch.io/weekend. Slower artificial locomotion, no artificial rotation. This requires 360-degree tracking (or notched artificial rotation for forward-facing setups I guess), but I'm okay with that.

Yep, the onward locomotion system is ace.

I'd also really want devs to explore the Climbey locomotion system as well. I think with a few tweaks(like adding the ability to strafe or jump while running) it could easily be the most immersive of all the locomotion options out now.

Just finished Vanishing Realms (or whats available of it at the moment as it is early access) I really enjoyed this one and wish there would be more games like this on steam! Not that I couldn't appreciate the countless shooting games but there are not enough action RPGs in VR!

SomTervo

Yep, the onward locomotion system is ace.

I'd also really want devs to explore the Climbey locomotion system as well. I think with a few tweaks(like adding the ability to strafe or jump while running) it could easily be the most immersive of all the locomotion options out now.

I'm working on something right now and I'm pushing hard for an improved Climbey arm-swinging option.

Organ Quarter does this too but it won't be out for a good while, mid-2017 probably. You can play the demo.

It's really good. Almost a classic. Great for new players.

SimplexPL

there's no memorizing patterns in Audioshield. There's a random seed aspect to the generation so the same song will produce different patterns each time.
After playing around 5-10 hours, mostly with the same set of songs, I did not get that impression. What would even be the point of scoreboards at the end of each songs, if pattern would be different each time?
If you are absolutely sure that "the same song will produce different patterns each time" then I believe you, but I never noticed that myself.

Also, I found another app to set supersampling per game, but I did not test it and it was not updated in a long time:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4vlyxb/svr3s_per_app_supersampling_switcher/

The other one is https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/51jnky/steam_enhanced_vr_launcher_per_app_supersampling/

For some reason they both require Java.

Ferrio

Banned
would really really love a vr mount & blade / chivalry would be so damn awesome

As awesome as that sounds I feel like sword games fundamentally kinda fall apart in VR because there's no actual collision. When you're swing keeps going past what they've blocked it kinda throws the whole experience off.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
As awesome as that sounds I feel like sword games fundamentally kinda fall apart in VR because there's no actual collision. When you're swing keeps going past what they've blocked it kinda throws the whole experience off.

melee combat feels real good in spell fighter enemies can parry your swings and the follow through doesnt really affect that much

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
While we're at it picking at the list ;)

Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shootin' Gallery is only 50-60% of a railshooter, you walk around freely quite a bit in that game.

Well I will admit the list needs refining anyway. I'll do it when I am free

Zalusithix

After playing around 5-10 hours, mostly with the same set of songs, I did not get that impression. What would even be the point of scoreboards at the end of each songs, if pattern would be different each time?
If you are absolutely sure that "the same song will produce different patterns each time" then I believe you, but I never noticed that myself.

Your impression is wrong and probably influenced by you not attempting the same song multiple times in a row. The songs will have a general difficultly and feel, but they wont be exactly the same. You can see it quite easily by looking at the starting pattern, restarting the song and looking at the next starting pattern.
These are all the start of the same song simply restarted over again:
yFplFs7.jpg

XSVHtNQ.jpg

48oAppU.jpg

derFeef

I need to repalce my graphic card since I am having all sorts of problems with the Vive (and other things...) This is really annoying since I only have an old 5870 in the meantime and that won't do so well with VR and games in general. :-( Have not even touched Arizona... And no family playtime during the holidays. Thanks nVidia :(

Raw Data devs got a $50 million investment. Super awesome, they're definitely one of the early VR standouts.

Nice, good job. If only the game would be more unique, it's pretty generic imo.

Onemic

I'm working on something right now and I'm pushing hard for an improved Climbey arm-swinging option.

Nice. I think strafing would be an easy addition as well as disconnecting rotation with head movement. Jumping while moving and moving backwards would take some thought though.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There's a flood of new VR titles on Steam, but what caught my eyes is Fist of Physics where you fight against bots. Unfortunately it seems it is in Early Access and kind of lacking in content...

SomTervo

Nice. I think strafing would be an easy addition as well as disconnecting rotation with head movement. Jumping while moving and moving backwards would take some thought though.

I had a cool solution for moving backwards we haven't had a chance to test yet. Uses the same principle as the up/down arm swing. Strafing I'm not sure about - move the hands side to side? Jumping isn't necessary in many games, luckily.

Man I'm excited to get this stuff out there.

Onemic

I had a cool solution for moving backwards we haven't had a chance to test yet. Uses the same principle as the up/down arm swing. Strafing I'm not sure about - move the hands side to side? Jumping isn't necessary in many games, luckily.

Man I'm excited to get this stuff out there.

You could make it so that holding the left grip button and arm swinging strafes left, right grip button and arm swing strafes right, and holding both grips and arm swinging moves you forward.

TheRed

Dang I just re set up my Vive after having it stored away in a box for a long time. Launched virtual desktop and really wanted to see some trippy visuals with the music visualizer background but that seems gone now? Is there something else I can use?

Oh nvm I found it. Just had to scroll up not down :)

Pool Nation VR updated to Sports Bar VR on Steam btw.
  • 6-Player Online Multiplayer
  • Pool (8-ball, 9-ball, 3-ball, killer)
  • Darts (101, 301, 501, cricket, round-the-world, freeplay)
  • Air Hockey
  • Ramp Ball
  • Shuffleboard
  • Chess
  • Checkers
  • & More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom