• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
"So it changed from a pool oriented title to general sports bar title?"

They'd gradually added a number of sports bar/pool hall games over time, they just decided to rebrand it as a social bar experience when it launched for PSVR and updated the PC version with a couple of things that they'd launched with the PSVR version. So yes, basically.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
just bought special delivery looks like a first person version of paper boy ill post what i think of it after i try it out

edit: played it was really fun nailed the gameplay and zaniness of paper boy perfectly it could use a few more whacky things going around the neighborhood but overall loved it if you are looking for something new to play i suggest it its only $9

kinggroin

Banned
So this is out on the Steam store

http://store.steampowered.com/app/460510/

"Produced exclusively from real recordings of 911 calls, witness trial testimony, and architectural drawings. One Dark Night tells the story of the day teenager Travyon Martin was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman"

I'm not sure what to think. It's not free, so I can't say it's opportunistic, but it still feels exploitative. Also, the comments really reveal a very ugly side of the internet :-(

"Produced exclusively from real recordings of 911 calls, witness trial testimony, and architectural drawings. One Dark Night tells the story of the day teenager Travyon Martin was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman"

I'm not sure what to think. It's not free, so I can't say it's opportunistic, but it still feels exploitative. Also, the comments really reveal a very ugly side of the internet :-(
That first review holy shit.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
just bought special delivery looks like a first person version of paper boy ill post what i think of it after i try it out

edit: played it was really fun nailed the gameplay and zaniness of paper boy perfectly it could use a few more whacky things going around the neighborhood but overall loved it if you are looking for something new to play i suggest it its only $9

I saw that and thought it looked cool.

Why would someone make this?

Recent Purchases:

SportsBar VR - Bought it because of the update and it was on sale. Haven't tried yet

VR The Diner Duo - This game is awesome! Great with a friend, super hectic and fun. One of my favorite VR experiences, and my first async multiplayer

Ghost Town Mine Ride - Pretty cool. Not enough of a mine ride and disappointingly easy for what it tries to do.

Still waiting for my Thumper Vive release date. Devs are still saying December.

Sanic

Finally picked up a Vive and i'm finding the performance in desktop theater to be suspect. I've tried a couple of simple games (Sonic CD as an example) and they're all running at a much lower framerate within the HMD than they are on my PC.

Looking around online, it seems like this is a fairly common problem but i'm not sure if there are any workarounds?

kinggroin

Banned
Finally picked up a Vive and i'm finding the performance in desktop theater to be suspect. I've tried a couple of simple games (Sonic CD as an example) and they're all running at a much lower framerate within the HMD than they are on my PC.

Looking around online, it seems like this is a fairly common problem but i'm not sure if there are any workarounds?

Use Big Screen. It's better.

And have a good PC. Remember, it's now rendering a VR environment and your game on top of it.

Just got done going through SuperHot VR and I'm blown the fuck away. Beat every expectation. Best VR experience yet. Seriously do yourself a favor and pick it up if you haven't. Worked perfectly with my vive

jotun?

Just dusted off the Vive after not using it for a few months. Did a few firmware updates.

The option to put the base stations in standby mode after closing Steam VR doesn't seem to work anymore. The green light on the headset also stays on, when it used to turn red. In the general settings I do have the box checked to put them in standby. I've toggled it off and on, and I've done a reboot.

Any idea how to get this stuff to sleep properly again?

Arulan

Just dusted off the Vive after not using it for a few months. Did a few firmware updates.

The option to put the base stations in standby mode after closing Steam VR doesn't seem to work anymore. The green light on the headset also stays on, when it used to turn red. In the general settings I do have the box checked to put them in standby. I've toggled it off and on, and I've done a reboot.

Any idea how to get this stuff to sleep properly again?

On Windows 10? Disable driver signature enforcement on reboot, and reinstall the bluetooth driver.

Sanic

Use Big Screen. It's better.

And have a good PC. Remember, it's now rendering a VR environment and your game on top of it.

Thanks, i'll give Big Screen a shot.

I'm a little confused at your good PC comment, though. If I look at the game on my monitor it's running at 60fps, no performance issues. But within the HMD, the framerate appears to be cut in half. Isn't it just getting mirrored in theater mode? Wouldn't the framerate be equally good/bad on both desktop and HMD? Why the discrepancy?

Durante

VR The Diner Duo - This game is awesome! Great with a friend, super hectic and fun. One of my favorite VR experiences, and my first async multiplayer
It's fantastic, but also gets ridiculously challenging. We were hyped when we finally managed to complete level 30 (which seemed like the last), only to discover that we had unlocked a set of completely impossible extra levels.

dsk1210

Thanks, i'll give Big Screen a shot.

I'm a little confused at your good PC comment, though. If I look at the game on my monitor it's running at 60fps, no performance issues. But within the HMD, the framerate appears to be cut in half. Isn't it just getting mirrored in theater mode? Wouldn't the framerate be equally good/bad on both desktop and HMD? Why the discrepancy?

Part of the reason is the fact that the headset runs at 90fps and the game running at 60fps which does not mesh well together. It would be nice to be able to be able to run the games at 90fps in the theatre mode.

cakefoo

Just got done going through SuperHot VR and I'm blown the fuck away. Beat every expectation. Best VR experience yet. Seriously do yourself a favor and pick it up if you haven't. Worked perfectly with my vive
I'll get when it comes to Steam. I want my games to be future-proof, and that's not possible with Oculus software.

kinggroin

Banned
If SuperHOT was the only game ever released for VR, it would have still been worth the $800 I spent for this HMD.

Guys.

This game is the truth.

Owari

If SuperHOT was the only game ever released for VR, it would have still been worth the $800 I spent for this HMD.

Guys.

This game is the truth.

Okay you guys. You've convinced me.

jotun?

So when Superhot VR says it's a "whole new game" does that mean the levels and everything are different from the original?

Is it still worth getting if you've played the original?

Wallach

So when Superhot VR says it's a "whole new game" does that mean the levels and everything are different from the original?

Yeah they're entirely new levels designed for VR.

It's currently the best thing I've played on any VR device. It's not that long (it'll probably only take you a couple hours to get through all of them) but it is worth every penny IMO.

Ferrio

Banned

Best VR game I've played hands down. Playing it normally vs VR is a totally new experience. If you want to feel like the ultimate badass, this is the game for it.

I loved and played the original. The VR version has a brand new story and all new levels. Worth playing for sure.

"special delivery makes me want more arcade games realized in vr like a coop smash tv i want to fight mutoid man in vr"

TBQH, Serious Sam isn't too far off from SmashTV so the upcoming VR Remake of First Encounter should scratch that itch.

Durante

I'm really hyped for the Serious Sam release, I hope the short-range teleport implementation is good.
Nice to be able to segue directly from the Arizona Sunshine coop campaign into that.

Talking about coop, there has been a pretty massive Raw Data update. Haven't tried it yet, but impressions seem positive.

SimplexPL

I think you got ninja'd on that.

I have a bug with Raw Data, when I play the introduction sequence, the tutorial "hang" on the weapons tutorial - I teleport to the place with the video monitor and nothing is displayed on it except for the Eden Corp logo. Anyone knows how to fix it?

It's that moment:
https://youtu.be/DWQ8hiYKBRk?t=136

Melon Husk

Only half an hour of Climbey and I started to question the existence of my legs. Moving by throwing my arms around felt more natural. Everything below the waist just works automatically without me putting any thought to it.

Trojan

The new Raw Data patch is a significant performance gain on my rig. Keep in mind that when you restart it, it recalibrates all your graphics settings based on their changes and the render target multiplier is not the same scale it was before. It recommended all epic settings for me and I was a little dubious, but it actually ran really great. From the patch notes, they did a lot to make the frame rate more consistent during heavy action by dynamically scaling some effects and models.

I have a bug with Raw Data, when I play the introduction sequence, the tutorial "hang" on the weapons tutorial - I teleport to the place with the video monitor and nothing is displayed on it except for the Eden Corp logo. Anyone knows how to fix it?

I ran into this same bug. We spent 5 min trying to figure out and then just restarted.

Durante

Hmm, I haven't seen that issue, sorry.

Just tested the update a while ago, playing the reworked Nuke Fusion mission (now with VO too). A huge technical improvement, significantly more consistent performance and less specular shimmering.

And as a Saija player I of course appreciate the balancing changes :)

kinggroin

Banned
Hmm, I haven't seen that issue, sorry.

Just tested the update a while ago, playing the reworked Nuke Fusion mission (now with VO too). A huge technical improvement, significantly more consistent performance and less specular shimmering.

And as a Saija player I of course appreciate the balancing changes :)

Of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom