• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What's the best airplane flight thing I can try on my Vive?"

DCS World for modern planes and helicopters.
War Thunder is Free and runs well enough for WW2 era planes. The monetization leaves much to be desired, but I had fun just playing against AI and flying around in private custom games.

I haven't tried Aerofly 2 or Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad.

TheRed

War Thunder is Free and runs well enough for WW2 era planes. The monetization leaves much to be desired, but I had fun just playing against AI and flying around in private custom games.

Thanks, I knew about War Thunder but wanted to know what else there was since I've had my Vive shelved for months. I'll give that a try since I don't want to try to learn how to play DCS right now.

Ace Combat for PSVR looking really good got me craving some flight games.

Glad to hear about the performance gains in Raw Data, that was my one beef with the game (Well, that and having to swing 40 times at the large robots, which at least now it's 20 haha). I'll probably give it a go here later.

Can't wait till Art of Fight gets some performance fixes, especially the ones related to bodies on the ground sucking up performance.

EDIT: oh look at that, dead bodies clear up, steam button doesn't crash the game, and now there's bullet trails so you can see what your recoil is doing. Sweet!

Business

Just happened to test DCS World tonight. First of all, the UI is beyond awful in VR, it's unreadable, the mouse locked to the center of your view is really uncomfortable and somehow no buttons on my keyboard seemed to work, I was stuck for minutes paused mid air in the Mustang before I somehow got the game to move.

Having said that once I got it moving the feeling of being in the cockpit is fantastic. Having been very much into combat flight sims like 15 years ago, the spatial awareness VR gives you in the cockpit is lightyears ahead of a screen even with good old track IR. Of course I got nauseous when I tried to pull some hard maneuvers... which made me think if there's a serious competitive scene they should give the option to fly vs VR players only... if it's not there already.

One question, anyone knows what's up with Vive motion controls in DCS?, I could see them in game in the shape of gloves but I couldn't interact with anything inside the cockpit with them.

Makai

OpenVR is an API and runtime that allows access to VR hardware from multiple vendors without requiring that applications have specific knowledge of the hardware they are targeting.
I'm targeting OpenVR. Works on my Vive but does that mean it should work on Rift and Gear VR without much changes?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Several new VR games on Steam

Nemesis Perspective
Pinheads Bowling VR
Deathlike: Awakening
Wanderer: The Rebirth VR

Full list of upcoming VR titles this month (tentative) on Steam

December
Sanctuary VR
Fastigium
Smash Party VR
Random Journey
Arcane
Escape The Bunker
SwingStar VR
Eagle Flight
BasementVR
Mass Exodus
Escape The Bunker
Binary Trigger
Gooblins
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
The Crypts of Anak Shaba - VR
Quizality - Christmas!
VR the Anime Girls Method
Weird Creatures
Crazy Max VR
Wanderer: The Rebirth
Deathlike: Awakening
Outrageous Grounds: The Maze
HVR
Manastorm: Champions of G'nar
Super Ninja Hero VR
TBA
Locomancer
Dragon Skies VR
QuiVR
aMAZEing adventures
Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul
Where's the Fck*ng Light - VR
Deisim
Snailiens
Mech Ace Combat - Trainer Edition
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
Unnecessary Violence VR
Nemesis Perspective
Orc Hunter VR
Gladius
Irrational Exuberance
Heavy Impact
Pinheads Bowling VR
Teratini VR
Drone Hunter VR
Stage Presence
The Cabin: VR Escape The Room

kinggroin

Banned
Didnt Serious Sam VR come out last month?

There is a new one. A VR release of the original full campaign. Up to 16 players co-op.

Ffs, someone make a thread. It's pretty big news, and these games need the exposure. Sure, the thread will garner 20 replies total, but views are still views.

Onemic

There is a new one. A VR release of the original full campaign. Up to 16 players co-op.

Ffs, someone make a thread. It's pretty big news, and these games need the exposure. Sure, the thread will garner 20 replies total, but views are still views.

Oh, really? I remember the game they released before was pretty much just a wave shooter.

EDIT: Just saw the trailer. Im hyped.

Durante

I can make the thread later when I'm home.

I was planning on waiting another day and then do a proper OT instead of just a news thread, but then I remembered that early access releases don't get OTs.

Zalusithix

I can make the thread later when I'm home.

I was planning on waiting another day and then do a proper OT instead of just a news thread, but then I remembered that early access releases don't get OTs.

It's that early access aspect that bothers me a bit. Their existing VR game is still in EA, and now they want to introduce another one into EA.

Durante

It's that early access aspect that bothers me a bit. Their existing VR game is still in EA, and now they want to introduce another one into EA.
I think it makes sense from a development perspective.
This is just my outside view of course, but I'd expect TLH to be 90% assets/content work at this point, while FEVR is almost entirely engineering.
Different people.

Zalusithix

I think it makes sense from a development perspective.
This is just my outside view of course, but I'd expect TLH to be 90% assets/content work at this point, while FEVR is almost entirely engineering.
Different people.

I should clarify that it bothers me more from a concern about the VR market perception in general than it does about the state of TLH. Heck, I haven't even seen all there is to TLH yet thanks to my backlog.

Assuming they are different groups (I'm not sure how large Croteam is), it makes sense from a personnel standpoint, but it doesn't really change the PR outlook. The VR market is small, fickle, and quite vocal. Devs already get a fair amount of flak for there being so many EA "tech demos" and no complete games. Setting out with a second EA title before finishing your first is a risky maneuver IMO.

How is that game anyway? I know they released a demo some time back but I never tried it

The demo (the new version in particular) is pretty damn good. Depending on length, I think it has the potential to be one of the first really good single player campaign VR games.

Durante

I should clarify that it bothers me more from a concern about the VR market perception in general than it does about the state of TLH. Heck, I haven't even seen all there is to TLH yet thanks to my backlog.

Assuming they are different groups (I'm not sure how large Croteam is), it makes sense from a personnel standpoint, but it doesn't really change the PR outlook. The VR market is small, fickle, and quite vocal. Devs already get a fair amount of flak for there being so many EA "tech demos" and no complete games. Setting out with a second EA title before finishing your first is a risky maneuver IMO.
True, but I think Croteam has been around long enough to know what it means, and how to communicate it in the best way. They've also already confirmed that owners of TLH (non-VR) and owners of TFE will get stacking discounts.

Wat, WHAT ? WTF ?

Is this real ? Please don´t toy with my feelings and hopes.

Are you telling me that i will play the original encounter and later ones in full VR ?

X-Posting!

DRm1z60.jpg

What is Thumper?

Steam link.
Thumper is rhythm violence: classic rhythm-action, blistering speed, and brutal physicality. You are a space beetle. Brave the hellish void and confront a maniacal giant head from the future.

Scream down the endless track and crash through punishing obstacles with simple, airtight controls. Hurtle forward, master new moves, reach overwhelming velocities, and survive epic boss battles. Every crushing impact is interwoven with a pounding original soundtrack. To reach synesthetic bliss, you must go through rhythm hell.

Nice!

Has anyone tried the Doom BFG mod?

Yeah. I'm fairly sturdy when it comes to VR sickness but moving while stood up in the Doom mod made me feel a bit weird. I think it could be improved a lot with more done to try to combat that feeling though - things like tunnelling would probably help. Will be interesting to see if Croteam are doing anything interesting with it.

It's possibly to play it seated with analogue turning, although I couldn't get the scale right when I did that, change the neutral camera height seemed to make everything seem tiny.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've been buying too many VR games and now Thumper and Sam is out within 24 hours of each other....dammit.
Last time I bought that many games for a platform was the year I got wii and PS3.

The VR library is getting huge and everything is so fresh I'm buying most of it :-D

I've been buying too many VR games and now Thumper and Sam is out within 24 hours of each other....dammit.

I feel like a LOT of good stuff has been coming out the past couple of weeks and the next couple. Going to have to wait for some Xmas money to get it all. For me the last couple of weeks have been:

• Superhot VR (because I'm weak and couldn't wait)
  • The Unspoken
  • Unearthed Inc: The Lost Temple
In the next couple it will be:

• Serious Sam: TFE
  • Vertigo
  • Eagle Flight
  • Mass Exodus
  • The Torus Syndicate (been out but haven't picked it up yet)
I already own Thumper so good to go there lol.

Holy shit lol

So I'm a little confused about the transmitter placement. In the video they just have it next to (but placed higher than) one of the basestations but he says that's not the best place for it and says it should be in the middle of the two basestations. They also say it should be in the "middle of the playspace looking downwards", so do they mean like literally attached to your ceiling in the middle of the playspace, or does he mean like in a third corner equidistant from each basestation?

Seiru

Banned
Is there a good realistic weapon-simulator style game? Like something where I wouldn't even know how to fire a gun if I didn't know how to load it and turn the safety off etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom