• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

Hands-on: TPCAST’s Wireless Vive Kit Really Works

FaintDefinitiveChick.gif

What?!

Omfg

You gotta be shittin' me. I do trust Upload VR.

[EDIT] Choice quote:

There were, however, instances where we noticed artifacts in the virtual scene, which momentarily reminded us that the headset was indeed wireless. These artifacts, which looked like a lower resolution streaming video, were momentary and mostly negligible to the overall experience of enjoying completely wireless room-scale VR. The artifacts were also hard to replicate by repeating movements or positions that we suspected might’ve been responsible for causing them.

You gotta be shittin' me. I do trust Upload VR.

[EDIT] Choice quote:
There were, however, instances where we noticed artifacts in the virtual scene, which momentarily reminded us that the headset was indeed wireless. These artifacts, which looked like a lower resolution streaming video, were momentary and mostly negligible to the overall experience of enjoying completely wireless room-scale VR. The artifacts were also hard to replicate by repeating movements or positions that we suspected might’ve been responsible for causing them.

I would totally take a couple minor artifact hiccups as described there for total wirelessness. Completely worth it to me.

Looks promising ... when is it on sale?
TPCast? They say next year for the US.

SimplexPL

Chaperone Switcher also allows to set supersampling, but OpenVR Advanced Settings is better in that it allows setting separate SS for VR compositor and separate SS for games and do that while being in VR (it can automatically restart VR to enable SS).

I have compositor set to 2.0 supersampling which drastically improves readability in the SteamVR "waiting room"
And performance is good? There is no reprojection?

kinggroin

Banned
Chaperone Switcher also allows to set supersampling, but OpenVR Advanced Settings is better in that it allows setting separate SS for VR compositor and separate SS for games and do that while being in VR (it can automatically restart VR to enable SS).

And performance is goot? There is no reprojection?

None.

Granted, it's just the loading area of SteamVR.

For application supersampling, I vary between 1.3 and 1.7

Fwiw I'm on a GTX 1070

SimplexPL

Sorry for that "goot" word :D

I ask, because I tried messing with it one, set it to 1.5 and got horrible stutter/reprojection, so I disabled it. Hopefully it was just a glitch.

Also, this is my issue with Raw Data - I cannot progress in the tutorial. Can someone try to reproduce it?

https://youtu.be/GJT5ktShzKU - bug is manifesting itself around 2:40

Tain

I'd like to know if the TPCAST supports supersampling resolutions. SS has ended up being really important for VR.

It's gotta. VR software runs at such a wide variety of resolutions internally and ultimately you're still just sending an image that's the size of the Vive's combined resolution.

QuiVR is officially in early access too now. Too many games! This version is a lot more solid than the beta branch demo and also pretty damn hard. Had a lot of lag issues in multiplayer though so hopefully they fix that soon.

Anyone know of good tripods? Thinking of bring my vr stuff up to my parents over break and I'm looking on amazon, but don't know what exactly I need.

Looking at this right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ONSZPI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure if I need an adapter or whatnot for it to fit.

or maybe this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I6ENXS/?tag=neogaf0e-20 with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CQAQOSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ?
I *think* what you are looking for is a light stand, not a tripod. I don't understand the difference and especially don't understand why light stands are so much cheaper (but hey, that's good news), but you want your receivers to be pretty high and light stands go much higher. You will need adapters but they are very cheap.

Durante

I'd like to know if the TPCAST supports supersampling resolutions. SS has ended up being really important for VR.
Like Tain said, it will. Supersampling happens at the software side, there's o difference between a 1.0 and a 1.5 or 2.0 signal in what the TPCAST device actually sees.

derFeef

Here is hoping going from a 1070 to a 480 will not screw too many VR games over. I have not played Arizone Sunshine yet and I hope that card can lift that well.

Durante

Why would you do that? Not only do you lose a lot of performance (particularly for VR), unless I missed it AMD cards still don't have asynchronous reprojection in OpenVR.

derFeef

Why would you do that? Not only do you lose a lot of performance (particularly for VR), unless I missed it AMD cards still don't have asynchronous reprojection in OpenVR.

I explained it a few pages back (or in the PC thread, I can't remember), DP/HDMI ports seem faulty as I get constant black outs.
But luckily I am getting a full refund of my 1070 and budget is tight so I can use the extra money. We will see, I managed well with my 390 and the Vive before I bought the 1070. Plus there was a good deal on the 480 compared to the 1060.

derFeef

Yeah I considered all that, but my VR time at the moment is like... 5% of my gaming time ;)
Here is hoping they can improve with the drivers in the near future. WIll test Arizona tonight and come back with impressions.

Cant wait to play Serious Sam with the Vive.

It does have a lot of nice vistas and landscapes. And lets not forget the immense size of the world.

aaaaa0

That looks like it's the real deal? But requires an extra sensor, which schould be placed in the middle of the lighthouse set-up?

Apparently the transmitter is best mounted on the ceiling, directly between the two lighthouses at the center of the play space, pointing straight down. As a compromise, it can be mounted beside one of the lighthouses, pointed at the center of the play space, but it won't work as well.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am confused. Is this a seperate game? I have Vermintide but it states
"Buy Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide 27,99€ "

1st & 2nd levels are free, 3rd & 4th levels require the based game. At the moment all these levels are not released yet, so all you can do now is purchase the based game if you want the 3rd & 4th levels.

derFeef

1st & 2nd levels are free, 3rd & 4th levels require the based game. At the moment all these levels are not released yet, so all you can do now is purchase the based game if you want the 3rd & 4th levels.

based game... Hero Trials or Vermintide base game?
That's what I am asking. The store page just says "Buy Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide" and not "Buy Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Hero Trials"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
based game... Hero Trials or Vermintide base game?
That's what I am asking. The store page just says "Buy Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide" and not "Buy Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Hero Trials"

Vermintide.

It says "This game will unlock in approximately 5 hours" above the "Buy Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide". i am guessing the "Buy Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Hero Trials" button (which only gives you the first 2 levels) will appear when the time runs out.

Zalusithix

Was, but they (Valve) removed it. Its necessary because of the black crush IIRC

It's for black/purple smear. The completely off -> on pixel response time is higher than mostly off -> on, and thus smears in motion. Not so much an issue for OLEDs when watching a movie, but not exactly ideal with a headset updating at 90hz and seeing rapid movement.

kinggroin

Banned
It's for black/purple smear. The completely off -> on pixel response time is higher than mostly off -> on, and thus smears in motion. Not so much an issue for OLEDs when watching a movie, but not exactly ideal with a headset updating at 90hz and seeing rapid movement.

Still wish it was a friggin option since I actually use the Vive for movies occasionally (in Big Screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom