• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

I don't think anyone outside of China got a preorder.

Could be ordered from anywhere at the Chinese e-shop and shipped worldwide IIRC.

Can anyone confirm if we can use keyboard (for locomotion) + mouse in Serious Sam VR ?

I rather doubt that. It supports free movement, but it's still using tracked controllers to wield the guns. If they developed it with that sort of config in mind as an option, the input area would include more than "Tracked Motion Controllers".

derFeef

Put the 480 to test and everything I tested works well.
Also pretty impressed by Arizona Sunshine so far. It seems a bit thin, but a really good experience so far. Shooting is satisfying and minus the weird animation now and then, the presentation is also great. Love searching cars for stuff, lol.

VR's killer app?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/563160/

Description:

Do you want to lose weight with cheering up or abuse?
This game could meet your demand whichever you like!

Pretty girls support your exercise!
You can lose weight in an extremely beautiful VR space.
This is the best exercise game that you've never seen before!
(※There are individual difference how you can lose weight)

Playing only 30 minutes make you sweating bullets!
VR mask is extremely necessary to play!!
「VR the Anime Girls Method」

*CAUTION! Effects of the game are NOT guaranteed.
You get fat if you eat pizza too much because of playing this game, so please be careful.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of you guys have your Vives set up in a room with a lot of windows/blinds?
I'm going to more or less dedicate a room to my VR/game stuff, but its a room with windows on every wall on the second story. Wondering if I'll need to take any special precautions.

The windows do have wooden blinds, but they're painted white and have spots and can get so bright its hard to look at them during the mid-afternoon.

Another thing I was wondering about was the wooden blinds themselves, regardless of lighting. They're prone to swaying slightly if a window is open behind them, etc.. I could see that interfering with the lighthouses projections.

I'm completely into the idea of making slight modifications to the space to get the most ideal experience. Are these things that I should worry about?

Do any of you guys have your Vives set up in a room with a lot of windows/blinds?
I'm going to more or less dedicate a room to my VR/game stuff, but its a room with windows on every wall on the second story. Wondering if I'll need to take any special precautions.

The windows do have wooden blinds, but they're painted white and have spots and can get so bright its hard to look at them during the mid-afternoon.

Another thing I was wondering about was the wooden blinds themselves, regardless of lighting. They're prone to swaying slightly if a window is open behind them, etc.. I could see that interfering with the lighthouses projections.

I'm completely into the idea of making slight modifications to the space to get the most ideal experience. Are these things that I should worry about?
I have it set up in a room with many blinds and I haven't had any notable issues with tracking. Good luck with your setup!

kinggroin

Banned

My first setup was in a room with massive amount of sunlight pouring and a wall plastered with framed glass pictures. No issues.

You should be fine. Just make sure the lighthouses are anchored properly

SimplexPL

If the material is a bit reflective, it's not a problem. I have big "lacobel" wall closet and it's no problem as long as the huge mirror is covered - with the mirror is visible, there are "deadzones" in the playspace area where the tracking disintegrates.

0tPnWrT.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Oh god, i just saw a new video of the VR adult title "VR Kanojo" it shows the user using the avatar hands to tickle the girl and also lifting up her skirt

ArtHands

I just heard that TPCast is going to start the 2nd round of sales for that HTc Vive wireless peripheral but again only for China region. Same exact model.

Dec 23rd 23:00 china time

Zalusithix

Played Serious Sam TFE briefly last night, and it doesn't appear Croteam thought much about water. You can teleport into the pool on the first level, but you can't teleport out, or even really move within it properly. Jumping is near useless other than to catch your breath. Probably works with free movement, but I wasn't testing that.

Durante

Played Serious Sam TFE briefly last night, and it doesn't appear Croteam thought much about water. You can teleport into the pool on the first level, but you can't teleport out, or even really move within it properly. Jumping is near useless other than to catch your breath. Probably works with free movement, but I wasn't testing that.
This is a bug introduced in the day 1 patch that should be fixed in today's day 2 patch.

How high can you people downsample Google Earth VR?

Everytime I go above 1.3 something must happen that makes the entire application unusuable, nothing loads in accordingly, only flat planes with extremely low res textures on them.

I assume this to be a specific limitation or problem with the software?

Zalusithix

This is a bug introduced in the day 1 patch that should be fixed in today's day 2 patch.

Ah, well that's that then. Gave me an excuse to catch up with the recent H3VR additions anyhow. Silliness with the MTs-255:
iT0jWgz.jpg

After playing with H3VR, guns in other games seem so lacking on the customization side of things. Want a scope on that? Done. Want a scope and iron sights. You've got it. Want to go crazy with a scope, reflex sight, iron sights, laser, flashlight and a suppressor? The world is your oyster. None of this stuff would make a lick of difference in traditional games, but in VR it's huge. Gun modularity in VR is going to have to become a standard thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
How high can you people downsample Google Earth VR?

Everytime I go above 1.3 something must happen that makes the entire application unusuable, nothing loads in accordingly, only flat planes with extremely low res textures on them.

I assume this to be a specific limitation or problem with the software?
I think I used it at 1.5 this morning with no issue, on a 980ti.

atom519

Anyone know of good tripods? Thinking of bring my vr stuff up to my parents over break and I'm looking on amazon, but don't know what exactly I need.

Looking at this right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ONSZPI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure if I need an adapter or whatnot for it to fit.

or maybe this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I6ENXS/?tag=neogaf0e-20 with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CQAQOSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ?

I've been using a set of these since launch, and they work really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PEUA30/?tag=neogaf0e-20
+
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012FTXOW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They go all the way up to like 9ft or something. The only downside is depending on your flooring, if someone steps close to them they may wobble a bit. Thankfully mine are on concrete so don't move at all.

I mainly went with tripods because I knew I was going to be taking the Vive over to a friends house at times and wanted something quasi-portable.

I think I used it at 1.5 this morning with no issue, on a 980ti.

Really? Surprises me... wonder what's off in my set-up, I have a very VERY lame internetconnection but I can't imagine that's the reason why the thing falls apart when raising the multiplier. I have to test that some more.

Did anyone pick up the new Serious Sam? How is it?

I grabbed Eagle Flight yesterday. I really like the controls. I didn't realize that most of it is handled by just moving your head. Works well. The right and left triggers on the controller just modify your speed.

I feel like this is one of those games I can show to my non-gamer friends and they'll have fun. Just really easy and intuitive to get into.

derFeef

Oh man I hope it will be a free addon for Talos. I have not touched it yet but so curious to play it. Seems like a great fit for VR.

derFeef

Did someone try the Vermintide VR thing? I forgot about it and it's 1am now, so I will give it a shot tomorrow. Reviews have not been that great.

ArtHands

That's a bummer. I purchased Vermintide just for that VR segment :| haven't try it yet

Ah, well that's that then. Gave me an excuse to catch up with the recent H3VR additions anyhow. Silliness with the MTs-255:
iT0jWgz.jpg

After playing with H3VR, guns in other games seem so lacking on the customization side of things. Want a scope on that? Done. Want a scope and iron sights. You've got it. Want to go crazy with a scope, reflex sight, iron sights, laser, flashlight and a suppressor? The world is your oyster. None of this stuff would make a lick of difference in traditional games, but in VR it's huge. Gun modularity in VR is going to have to become a standard thing.

Absolutely -- I hope that all games end up having customization options like that. I wanna get wild with that shit.

I would love if in AoF, you could go into an "armory" and set up how you want each weapon equipped, and then save those for spawning in matches.

Heads up to anyone who hasn't bought Superhot because they're worried about Oculus breaking revive in the future--the game is DRM free and will work even if you uninstall Oculus Home, provided you've copied the Oculus Runtime DLL's into the same directory as the game executable. You can backup that copy to a safe place, and the game is guaranteed to work forever.

I tried ripcoil on Revive and everything seemed to work fine but when I went to do multiplayer it gave me an oculus cannot connect error in the game. Is this because the game server is down in vernal or is this Revive specific?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom