• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeioIIDX

Holy shit, is this guy okay? He's yelling and acting like he downed 17 redbulls.

As soon as I heard "TOP OF THE MORNIN' TO YA!" I had to close the tab. I used to like the dude back when he first started doing Oculus Rift DK1 vids, he was funny and more mellowed out (slightly) but now, holy fuck.

I picked up Thumper a couple nights ago. It's pretty fun but I was expecting my mind to be blown with how much the game gets hyped up and praised. I find myself paying attention way more to the gameplay rather than the VR aspect of it which I suppose makes sense. You don't have much time at all to really look around and admire the surroundings as you're speeding along. I will say that I'm glad I feel no motion sickness like I anticipated. It doesn't feel like you're on a roller coaster, it just feels like you're sitting in place while the environment speeds past you. It's such a fun feeling to get into that zen state and S-rank segment after segment.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thumper in VR is pretty neat. I try to stick to the Vive controllers to play, but I may change to a regular controller as some quick move has to be made sometimes.

The Vive controller for me would not register the right (direction, not correct) button press. I had to switch to my Oculus headset and the Xbone controller.

As soon as I heard "TOP OF THE MORNIN' TO YA!" I had to close the tab. I used to like the dude back when he first started doing Oculus Rift DK1 vids, he was funny and more mellowed out (slightly) but now, holy fuck.

I picked up Thumper a couple nights ago. It's pretty fun but I was expecting my mind to be blown with how much the game gets hyped up and praised. I find myself paying attention way more to the gameplay rather than the VR aspect of it which I suppose makes sense. You don't have much time at all to really look around and admire the surroundings as you're speeding along. I will say that I'm glad I feel no motion sickness like I anticipated. It doesn't feel like you're on a roller coaster, it just feels like you're sitting in place while the environment speeds past you. It's such a fun feeling to get into that zen state and S-rank segment after segment.

The gameplay isn't that great to me. I'm not huge on rhythm games. The 3D isn't the greatest but having the game take up your whole field of view is a must. What gets me is the atmosphere and soundtrack. The visual aesthetic and music make it. They nail those 2 aspects that the gameplay doesn't matter as much to me.

So have we heard anything else about those game changing Vive controller updates? I seriously can't wait for those. Games like Raw Data and Onward (maybe even Art of Fight) will be totally different once we have those.

so I finally got my vive. I want to be able to use it from my bedroom (seated) -> living room (room scale) and back, so I just ordered two tripods and ball joints.

thus far I've only played around in the lab. I have a chair in the room and konrad the kitten (my girlfriend bought it for me lol)

can anyone recommend anything else? I'm going to get raw data and arizona sunshine I believe. Doom 3 BFG as well.

platformers? adventure? thanks D:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
so I finally got my vive. I want to be able to use it from my bedroom (seated) -> living room (room scale) and back, so I just ordered two tripods and ball joints.

thus far I've only played around in the lab. I have a chair in the room and konrad the kitten (my girlfriend bought it for me lol)

can anyone recommend anything else? I'm going to get raw data and arizona sunshine I believe. Doom 3 BFG as well.

The games I have enjoyed the most are as follows:

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

my favorites are

climbey (game is a super fun platformer that has coop and levels you can get from steam workshop )

art of fight (4v4 multiplayer counter strike)

raw data (really fun coop wave based game / tower defense)

hover junkers (has a few pvp modes and a pretty fun wave based coop mode)

space pirate trainer ( my favorite of the single player wave based games its the only one i can get my jedi fix using only 1 saber and only reflecting all the shots back at enemies super fun)

special delivery ( its a first person version of paperboy i find myself coming back to this game the most when i just want to play a game for a few minutes)

arizona sunshine ( was really awesome playing through coop with a friend but if you are going to play solo and not really into horror games theres a few places i would of noped out of if i was playing by myself namely the mines that are pitch black)

onward ( a more tactical pvp fps its slower paced then art of fight but if this is more your speed go for it its solid)

vanishing realms ( its currently the best dungeon crawler your going to get in vr)

sportsbar vr (started as a pool table simulator and its a really good one but they have expanded a bunch and added a ton of other things to do in the bar like play air hockey
chess/checkers shuffleboard and a bunch of other stuff)

eleven table tennis vr ( the best table tennis game maybe ever? good range of singleplayer difficulty levels and online modes)

serious sam vr: the first encounter (amazing port of the classic game and the scale of everything in vr is crazy)

free games you should get
budget cuts demo
spell fighter

Putosaure

Downloaded Vertigo, I don't like it. I really enjoyed the demo, but I don't think I have enough room for it. I have a 2mx2m playspace and I keep hitting walls or furniture trying to swing that glowing stick. A lot of neat ideas though, will eventually redownload at some point.

cakefoo

Mervils: A VR Adventure
Windlands
Climbey
Vanishing Realms
Serious Sam: The First Encounter
The Price of Freedom (short but free)
Island 359
Quell 4D

I've only played 3 of these, but I think they all align with your tastes.

I'll look over these games over the weekend :)

all I have to say is, this was my first forte with VR, I've never tried it before, and holy fuck, it's incredible. At first boot, literally just sitting in the dashboard, in that white lobby was mind blowing.

This is going to be a lot of fun

Zalusithix

That looks really good. Not just the jumping but the entire game. I hadn't even looked at it before, with so much VR stuff being released at once.

It's Raw Data minus the coop and then the power factor dialed to 11. Raw Data is often a frenetic "can I succeed at this level". The devs are concerned not only with hero vs npc power levels but also maintaining hero vs hero balancing so no one is OP. Sairento is much less "can I" and more "how much of a bad ass can I be while doing this". I'm geared towards blade gameplay right now with bullet reflection, super fast blade charges, and maxed out mobility, but guns can be equally devastating with larger magazines, body piercing bullets and copious use of the bullet time jump.

Raw Data is definitely far more polished, has more content and a higher budget, but Sairento (while solo at least) is just more fun IMO. I'm happy I ran across it while doing a Steam VR search, as like you said, there's so much stuff coming out that it's hard to keep track of everything.

That Lo-Fi retro project got updated recently. (LINK)

RFXRATu.gif

Anyone else having issues with their lighthouses after updating the firmware? One of mine can turn on (the motor is running) but it doesn't have any lights on and it won't connect. It was working fine before updating.

Durante

I haven't had any post-update issues, but I have the issue that I can't update one of my lighthouses (via bluetooth). And so far I was too lazy to take it down and update it via USB, because it's working perfectly other than asking for the update.

For your unresponsive base station, if nothing else works, you could try the manual process described at the bottom of this page.

cakefoo

Of the 125 new releases from the past two weeks:

21 titles have an 85+ score and 10+ reviews
30 titles have an 80+ score and 7+ reviews

So much content worth checking out, but it feels like devs aren't doing a good enough job to engage with their potential market. They just release a flashy trailer of random footage.

I'd be 10x more likely to buy a game if devs provided in-depth coverage like this guy is doing with his submarine sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFU1Ttw6yck

kinggroin

Banned
Of the 125 new releases from the past two weeks:

21 titles have an 85+ score and 10+ reviews
30 titles have an 80+ score and 7+ reviews

So much content worth checking out, but it feels like devs aren't doing a good enough job to engage with their potential market. They just release a flashy trailer of random footage.

I'd be 10x more likely to buy a game if devs provided in-depth coverage like this guy is doing with his submarine sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFU1Ttw6yck

Agreed.

I now have the opposite problem of too much good software, and devs not doing enough to distinguish their stuff from everyone else's (or explain WHY I need to get said game).

I haven't had any post-update issues, but I have the issue that I can't update one of my lighthouses (via bluetooth). And so far I was too lazy to take it down and update it via USB, because it's working perfectly other than asking for the update.

For your unresponsive base station, if nothing else works, you could try the manual process described at the bottom of this page.

For some reason it wanted me to update over USB, I didn't even have a Bluetooth option. Should've just left it so I could actually be playing this with family today, but alas.

I brought over the firmware in the SteamVR folder and now the lighthouse is blinking green and still not functioning. Looking over on Reddit, it seems other people are having this issue too.

Yay, Christmas isn't ruined! I copied the firmware from my good lighthouse over to the bad one and everything seems to be working now. Thanks for the help Durante!

I think one of my lighthouses isn't working and I'm too lazy/scared to do any research on how to test further :T

Did you just update the firmware? Try out what I just did if so.

Zalusithix

Christmas in VR is best Christmas. (Spoilers if you have H3VR and haven't done the Christmas day reveal yet.)
nxFxcmL.jpg

5D44M55.jpg

cn0xLr8.jpg

Moving into the heavy weaponry folks! And no, you can't dual wield the chain guns despite my spawning a second. They just go flying out of your hands much like they would in real life.

Christmas in VR is best Christmas. (Spoilers if you have H3VR and haven't done the Christmas day reveal yet.)
nxFxcmL.jpg

5D44M55.jpg

cn0xLr8.jpg

Moving into the heavy weaponry folks! And no, you can't dual wield the chain guns despite my spawning a second. They just go flying out of your hands much like they would in real life.

Oh shit. Haven't been keeping up with the H3 advent calender, but
RPGs and miniguns are definitely welcome.

Zalusithix

just got done playing sairento wow that game is great its a badass simulator this game needs to be added to the must have vr games

Seriously. Once you start upgrading your abilities and outfitting the weapons with the rare relics, you definitely feel like an elite ninja bouncing around the maps leaving death in your wake.

That said, the insane difficulty (9 star) assassination mission bosses take a lot to take down even when highly upgraded. They aren't particularly challenging though; merely damage sponges that you focus 100% of your damage output on. By far the least fun part of the game IMO. I think regular goons need to be spawned during the boss events while making the boss immune to bullet time. That way you have to keep the nonstop dance of death going to not be overwhelmed, while at the same time chip away at the boss's health and avoid his attacks.

The strength of the game is the power trip you get. Difficulty has to be managed in such a way that the feeling of power against overwhelming odds is maintained.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just finished Thumper in VR. Great game.
Final boss wasn't great
but the rest of the game was superb! I can't recommend this game enough.

I got a Vive!

I tried Google Earth VR first but I don't think my 70mb/s download speed is up to the task. Every where I went took minutes to load in. A bummer, but oh well.

Tried Tiltbrush next and even with my incredibly limited artistic skill it was awesome. I made a 3d palm tree and it was mesmerizing to just stare at.

Rec Room was after that and hooooly crap Rec Room is great. Even just interacting with people in the locker room is insanely fun. I'm 6 foot but that game made me feel really tall, every one I seemed to play with seemed like they were 5'5 or under.

I tried a handful of minutes of Raw Data after that. Ran into some jank and issues but looking forward to trying it more. The punching tutorial in particular was almost undoable for me due to the size of my play space. My punches didn't seem like they were really connecting either. Had to take a break due to my back getting sore, still having to work up strength in it after a recent surgery. This seems effective for doing that so far haha. I really want to get Vanishing Realms next. An RPG in VR seems like it'd be amazing.

Welcome to the club Tharp! Rec Room is indeed an eye-opening experience that feels like a glimpse into the future of VR. Try the Paintball if you haven't already!

Welcome to the club Tharp! Rec Room is indeed an eye-opening experience that feels like a glimpse into the future of VR. Try the Paintball if you haven't already!

Thanks! Tried paintball but I think I liked the pong and frisbee ones more. I'm real bad at shooting. I need to try the others and give paintball another go.

Edit: Scratch that on Vanishing Realms. I don't have a big enough room for it. It was 2mx2m, i'm at 2m x 1.5ish

Zalusithix

Maxed out my level in Sairento tonight (20). Took ~5-6 hours at normal difficulty and not using XP boosting relics. From here on out it's just relic hunting and messing around with different weapons until there's more added to the game.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I got a Vive!

I tried Google Earth VR first but I don't think my 70mb/s download speed is up to the task. Every where I went took minutes to load in. A bummer, but oh well.

Tried Tiltbrush next and even with my incredibly limited artistic skill it was awesome. I made a 3d palm tree and it was mesmerizing to just stare at.

Rec Room was after that and hooooly crap Rec Room is great. Even just interacting with people in the locker room is insanely fun. I'm 6 foot but that game made me feel really tall, every one I seemed to play with seemed like they were 5'5 or under.

I tried a handful of minutes of Raw Data after that. Ran into some jank and issues but looking forward to trying it more. The punching tutorial in particular was almost undoable for me due to the size of my play space. My punches didn't seem like they were really connecting either. Had to take a break due to my back getting sore, still having to work up strength in it after a recent surgery. This seems effective for doing that so far haha. I really want to get Vanishing Realms next. An RPG in VR seems like it'd be amazing.

Do they have Mario Party 2 for VR?

Rec Room is my favorite VR thing. Give Thumper a go in VR if you get a chance!

jdmonmou

I bought Smashbox Arena yesterday and I strongly recommend this game. It's one of the best multiplayer VR experiences I've had. It's basically 3 v 3 dodgeball in different arenas. Very fun.

Bread

Banned
70mb/s should be more than enough for Google Earth vr, I'm at around 150 but it takes just seconds to load everything in. Weird.

Yeah, I'm like 10mb/s and I just have to wait like 5 seconds, 10 seconds top.

6mb/s (700kbs down lol) ...top that! If there is not much to load then it can take 10 seconds, if you are in big cities though with lots of data then it can take minutes to load everything in that is around you.

Trojan

Playing Thumper now and loving it. It's got an amazing soundtrack and the oppressive tone of the game really puts you on edge in a good way. One of my favorite VR experiences so far.

jotun?

I'm interested in playing some games that are just seated+controller, but I can't figure out how some things are supposed to work.

1. Is there a way to open and navigate the steam VR interface without using the vive controllers? I'm currently using a PS3 controller with scpserver to emulate a 360 controller. I could switch to a real 360 controller if necessary, but I don't have a steam controller

2. Is there an easy way to toggle a seated mode so that I don't have the chaperone bounds in my face while sitting at my desk?

Some of the games would be through steam, and some though revive I think

Trojan

I'm interested in playing some games that are just seated+controller, but I can't figure out how some things are supposed to work.

1. Is there a way to open and navigate the steam VR interface without using the vive controllers? I'm currently using a PS3 controller with scpserver to emulate a 360 controller. I could switch to a real 360 controller if necessary, but I don't have a steam controller

2. Is there an easy way to toggle a seated mode so that I don't have the chaperone bounds in my face while sitting at my desk?

1. I haven't found a way, I just keep a Vive controller near me to bring up the menu between games.

2. I used Chaperone Switcher to build a Seated Room setting with huge bounds so I don't see the fencing.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I've used both my Steam Controller and my XBone controller with no problems.

I dunno about a seated mode but I think you can toggle the boundary display in the settings menu.

So I have been playing some room scale games (vanishing realms and H3)on a rift with two cameras and no space in my room. Obviously these games were not meant for my situation but they are functional and would be so much better if they add a super simple ability to just rotate the view. Why is this not in every game. Staying facing forward would help tracking a ton and make navigating these games work fine with an VR setup.

So if there are any VR devs out there please don't forget us front facing guys and give us options please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom