• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is definitely a "sweet spot" in the center of your view that will always be sharper, and it gets blurrier the further out you get. Without seeing it myself it's hard to say whether or not you're having an issue beyond that.

Helznicht

So i'm having sharpness issues in the Vive and i'm trying to figure out if it's just due to the resolution of the hardware or if i'm wearing it wrong.

It feels like the edges of my vision are slightly out of focus. Anything not in the center of my vision seems less sharp.

If this sounds like a issue with how i'm wearing it, anyone have tips?

If it bothers you, go buy a thin face pad. The closer you put the lenses to your eyes, the bigger the sweet spot. If you want to try it on the cheap, get a piece of felt and cut to shape. If you have long eye lashes they may even touch when the lenses are turned all the way in. your FOV and sweet spot will increase dramatically. If you have to wear glasses, well, good luck to ya.

Helznicht

Just got Art of Fight and it is a stuttery mess for me. When it starts there is a settings window popup on my PC, I set it to its lowest but doesn not have any effect on the in HMD performance it seems. Is there a way to tweak settings in game? I couldnt find any.

SimplexPL

Just because you mentioned it. Does anybody know if you can finally order this god damn cable in Europe (Germany) and actually 100% get the new one? Since they have this cable I want it so badly but it always seems like a gamble wether or not you will get it.

Maybe they know?
https://www.alternate.de/HTC/Vive-Kabel-HDMI-3in1/html/product/1315477

Or at least have a good return policy? :)
The shipping is cheap too, not that absolutely fucking RIDICULOUS 30€ from the Vive store.

Bread

Banned
I had a big problem with the Vive until I "customized" the foam pad. By customized, I mean ripped most of it off so I was closer to the lens. Try taking the foam pad out and putting the goggles on without it on, if it looks better to you then get a really thin foam pad for comfort.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So i'm having sharpness issues in the Vive and i'm trying to figure out if it's just due to the resolution of the hardware or if i'm wearing it wrong.

It feels like the edges of my vision are slightly out of focus. Anything not in the center of my vision seems less sharp. This makes sense for the very edges since that is beyond my glasses and I get the same issue if I look down in real life, but it doesn't seem normal for the Vive -- but i'm insure how to tell if something is a resolution problem or me not setting it all up right. I did my IPD and adjusted the gray nobs to be as close to my face as I can get them. I saw some people say that wearing the Vive up higher (the bottom resting near the top of one's cheekbones) helps, but it just seems to make things worse for me. For example, on the SteamVR home area, if I look down at my controllers they don't seem quite right in how they look. The green light on them is blurry and out of focus and I have to hold them up in front of my face to see them clearly.

If this sounds like a issue with how i'm wearing it, anyone have tips?

No. The only tip is to deal with it. Trust me, I had this exact same complaint when I first tried on my Vive at launch. I was pissed. I am still pissed but I've learned to accept shit tier quality. It is super disappointing and pulls me out of the virtual reality experience. The blur is just way too distracting. You get used to it, though.

No. The only tip is to deal with it. Trust me, I had this exact same complaint when I first tried on my Vive at launch. I was pissed. I am still pissed but I've learned to accept shit tier quality. It is super disappointing and pulls me out of the virtual reality experience. The blur is just way too distracting. You get used to it, though.

Oh it doesn't bother me that much. I only ever notice it when I first put on the Vive and then spend some time trying to adjust it. Once i'm in game it's a non-factor. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't just doing something wrong.

Did anyone here join the stress test for the OrbusVR MMO?
Seems like it was quite interesting, but I missed the time frame.

I did. It... felt like an early Wii game. The combat was incredibly bad and clunky. The user interface was fairly unwieldy. The mage in particular was really bad, the spell detection system didn't work well. Even playing the Warrior class, you just kinda swung the sword and the enemy doesn't react to hits, it doesn't even tell you if you did damage. You just have a bunch of people sitting there swinging their weapon and seeing if it dies. The musket class didn't feel that fun, but is interesting in theory. Grabbing the bullets didn't work too well, I usually had to try 3 or 4 times before it'd actually grab the bullet so I could load it. Granted it's pre-alpha, but what was there was honestly really, really rough.

Durante

That does sound like a pre-alpha!

Still, I've read some more positive impressions too. I do like that they seem to have implemented a melee combat system which makes waggling ineffective, and the idea of the spell casting system also seems great.

I did. It... felt like an early Wii game. The combat was incredibly bad and clunky. The user interface was fairly unwieldy. The mage in particular was really bad, the spell detection system didn't work well. Even playing the Warrior class, you just kinda swung the sword and the enemy doesn't react to hits, it doesn't even tell you if you did damage. You just have a bunch of people sitting there swinging their weapon and seeing if it dies. The musket class didn't feel that fun, but is interesting in theory. Grabbing the bullets didn't work too well, I usually had to try 3 or 4 times before it'd actually grab the bullet so I could load it. Granted it's pre-alpha, but what was there was honestly really, really rough.

Yeah. The concepts are pretty good. In particular the class abilities, but combat isn't fun yet at all. I felt like I was fighting the locomotion system too. Both the artificial and teleport.

VR is the first time i've ever wished I had the time and knowledge to be a game designer. I'd love to have or create a DnD-style multiplayer game on Vive where you play the regular tabletop game, and you see everyone as their character. Then, once a battle starts, everyone flies into the table and actually partakes in the battle and the GM can watch.

I want this.

Padinn

I was able to pickup Superhot from greenmangaming.com for $12 using voucher codes dealzon. Looking forward to it. Any tips for getting revive to work? Going to be first time using it.

*edit* not so sure I got vr version. Doh.

IIRC, the Superhot on Greenmangaming (and steam, etc.) is *not* the same as Superhot VR which you can only get on the Oculus store. Pretty confusing for consumers.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I did some testing with the Rift. I don't see how people can like the built-in headphones, they sound terrible in Audioshield. Speaking of which, I solved my issue with being below the floor be running the SteamVR setup again.

I did realize that I really need to figure out a way to get more space for playing on the Rift. It's pretty good minus the lack of room-scale. Rec Room seems impossible without it. You have to be conscious of which direction you're facing or you risk loss of tracking. That does not seem optimal for paintball. I think the rest of the mini-games would be fine though.

I did some testing with the Rift. I don't see how people can like the built-in headphones, they sound terrible in Audioshield. Speaking of which, I solved my issue with being below the floor be running the SteamVR setup again.

I did realize that I really need to figure out a way to get more space for playing on the Rift. It's pretty good minus the lack of room-scale. Rec Room seems impossible without it. You have to be conscious of which direction you're facing or you risk loss of tracking. That does not seem optimal for paintball. I think the rest of the mini-games would be fine though.

The built in headphones are all about the convenience. Some of us value that more than better audio quality. I regularly just use PSVR without headphones (even though it messes up the positional audio) because using it with headphones is a pain.

I'm very happy HTC are going to sell something with integrated audio, and when I can justify getting a Vive (can't afford to right now, but I hope for that to change in the near future), I'll be getting the advance audio strap thing, and I will have zero regrets about it even if it doesn't have the best audio quality.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The built in headphones are all about the convenience. Some of us value that more than better audio quality. I regularly just use PSVR without headphones (even though it messes up the positional audio) because using it with headphones is a pain.

I'm very happy HTC are going to sell something with integrated audio, and when I can justify getting a Vive (can't afford to right now, but I hope for that to change in the near future), I'll be getting the advance audio strap thing, and I will have zero regrets about it even if it doesn't have the best audio quality.

The market for quality audio is pretty deep. I can understand the need for convenience over quality for some but it ain't for me--especially when it comes to music. The build is also my absolute least favorite style as well.

For reference what I use are the following: Sennheiser Momentum and Audio-Technica MTH-50. The AT are the ones I use for VR. On the Rift I typically use these as my speakers (M-Audio AV40) instead of using headphones.

The market for quality audio is pretty deep. I can understand the need for convenience over quality for some but it ain't for me--especially when it comes to music. The build is also my absolute least favorite style as well.

For reference what I use are the following: Sennheiser Momentum and Audio-Technica MTH-50. The AT are the ones I use for VR. On the Rift I typically use these as my speakers (M-Audio AV40) instead of using headphones.

If you haven't done so, you should try the music visualizer stuff in Tilt Brush (if you own it). With good audio quality I can imagine it'd be even more amazing.

I totally understand. I was just trying to help you see that people like the Rift headphones in spite of their sound quality. I'm one of those people.

kinggroin

Banned
I totally understand. I was just trying to help you see that people like the Rift headphones in spite of their sound quality. I'm one of those people.

Same here.

I used to use some Plantronics over the ears headphones. They broke and now I use shitty earbuds that came with my phone.

If the headphones in this are at least as good as those, while also affording me convenience, I'm in.

Wow, I just found the guide menu in Tilt Brush. I had no idea you could do stuff like resize, move up and down, rotate, and create shape guides. I was missing like 50% of the game's functionality. My art is still going to be crappy, but it's going to be crappy on an entirely new scale!

Arulan

I played Accounting yesterday. What a fantastic 30-minutes!

It's surprising how easily engaged you can become with just dialogue, especially one that reacts to your immediate actions. A lot of the interactions are well thought-out in that the situations they place you in make you almost immediately want to try those things.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If you haven't done so, you should try the music visualizer stuff in Tilt Brush (if you own it). With good audio quality I can imagine it'd be even more amazing.

I don't own it unfortunately. I wish I had gotten the OG Vive game pack. While I enjoy Zombie Training Simulator, I really would have preferred Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption--neither of which I own yet.

I can see that. In non-music games I suppose it's less important. And truthfully, if audio quality was that important to the masses, Tidal would be the dominating music streaming service.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
gfn9rsp.png

This can't be correct...

I usually don't either. I'm in the US, btw.

Also, I forgot how good this demo is:

[url]https://notdead.itch.io/compound

[/URL]
I finally cleared the demo floor. I really hope it can become a full-fledged game with a campaign.

Just tried it, wow that is really awesome. I love the look of it. The art style is super effective in VR, it felt like I was there more than I get from some more realistic looking games. It kicked my ass. I quickly learned to not just go flying around corners, i'd have to hit the floor only for it to be useless as I got shot from behind. I really hope they make a full game, I had a blast.

I accidentally activated some auto-move thing while I was playing it was one of the most "OH GOD NO" things i've ever felt. Sliding across the floor without my body moving was incredibly weird feeling, it got me suck in some corner and kept auto running. My body froze until I could get the game closed. VR is weird and awesome.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just tried it, wow that is really awesome. I love the look of it. The art style is super effective in VR, it felt like I was there more than I get from some more realistic looking games. It kicked my ass. I quickly learned to not just go flying around corners, i'd have to hit the floor only for it to be useless as I got shot from behind. I really hope they make a full game, I had a blast.

I accidentally activated some auto-move thing while I was playing it was one of the most "OH GOD NO" things i've ever felt. Sliding across the floor without my body moving was incredibly weird feeling, it got me suck in some corner and kept auto running. My body froze until I could get the game closed. VR is weird and awesome.

The look of the game is stellar. I wonder how the auto-move was activated? Any movement like that is instant motion sickness for me. It took me a long time to beat Lucky's Tale because of it.

Vive branded phone? Shown very end of this video.

C1ouDKwWEAAC8Sv.jpg

Please don't sully your VR division with crappy phones. :(

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/01/06/vive-summit-2017/

We’re excited to announce the first major HTC Vive live stream headlined by some of our most popular esports personalities, organized in partnership with VRScout and Team SoloMid. The event, taking place on Sunday, January 15th at VRScout’s studios in Los Angeles, will be streamed live to twitch.tv/htc.
Throughout the show, players will walk through some of the most exciting new Vive content and engage in unique challenges and competitions. Beyond providing viewers with a comprehensive look at the future of gaming, the summit aims to present the Vive and its experiences as a new medium for inventive entertainment.

Topping off today’s announcement are Soren “Bjergsen” Bjerg and Jason “WildTurtle” Tran from Team SoloMid, one of the most prominent esports organizations in the West. Bjergsen and WildTurtle are professional League of Legends players and stout veterans in the North American League Championship Series. Both will look to bring their years of professional gaming experience to the world of virtual reality as never before seen.

There will be 13 professional gamers participating in the event in total. The remaining invitees will be announced in the days leading up to the summit. We are happy to say that not only will Team SoloMid be in attendance, but our other two sponsored teams, Cloud9 and Team Liquid, will also be represented at this event. Professional gamers spanning four different popular esports titles will give esports and gaming fans a first-of-its-kind experience come show time. Viewers should also expect plenty of on-stream giveaways as we will be raffling away two Vives and multiple Vive game bundles.
Don’t miss this unique stream coming to you live on Sunday, January 15th at 1pm Pacific time on twitch.tv/htc. For more information, visit summit.vive.com.

I'm not sure they'd specifically invite professional gamers (and not just twitch/youtube personalities) if it's just to showcase some new VR games/experiences.

Durante

Regarding the tracking puck limits discussion from a few days ago, someone gathered the relevant information from Twitter:
Michael Strickland: @vk2zay @ID_R_McGregor @rpavlik so do we have a limit of tracked devices with SteamVR? I'd assume bandwidth is an issue at some point.

Alan Yates: @droiddude228 @ID_R_McGregor @rpavlik still under test, not sure what the limit is yet, but I've seen 10 running in SteamVR on the one PC.

Nat Brown: @vk2zay @droiddude228 @ID_R_McGregor @rpavlik current arbitrary limit in hdrs is 16 tracked devices so HMD + 2 wands leaves 13 slots.

Every puck currently uses its own USB adapter.

Zalusithix

Please don't sully your VR division with crappy phones. :(

It was obvious that HTC was going to try and chase the mobile VR market. Leveraging the Vive brand is a bit strange though. The brand is well known within the PCVR space, but next to meaningless outside of that; I don't think it will drive phone sales. It only makes sense if they plan on using the phone brand to build the Vive brand awareness on a larger scale. Hence the co-branding. Sort of a "phone by HTC, VR by Vive" thing. This, of course, means that the VR experience has to be distinct from Google's Daydream initiative. Perhaps they plan on making the headset shell lighthouse compatible and offer cut down tracked controllers. Slap a mobile VR section on Viveport, and you end up with a VR ecosystem that spans mobile and PC (to an extent).

Every puck currently uses its own USB adapter.
That's the only real news. So we'll be needing some USB hubs for larger collections of tracking points.

16 tracked devices has been the arbitrary hard-coded limit for some time, and the processing requirements for it are low and easily spread out among multiple threads to take advantage of multiple cores. Bandwidth is really only limited by available channels, and there were over 50 channels available even at the highest bandwidth mode of the transceiver IIRC. You'd hit a practical USB port count and cost limitations before you hit bandwidth problems I'd think.

moniker

I built a new PC and bought a Vive and got everything set up about 5 hours ago. I've got maybe a total 10 minutes of playtime because my boyfriend (who is was wholly uninterested in games) is hogging the Vive. This thing is great.

Maulik

Hey guys,

Been loving Superhot VR but having some FPS issues. My specs are i5 3450, gtx 1060 and 8gb ram. Which one of these might be the bottleneck for the game?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Glixel has an interview with Tim Sweeny, from Epic.

Choice bits:
"It would be really tragic if we let the future metaverse, that binds all humanity together into shared online environments, were a closed platform controlled by a giant corporation," Sweeney said. "As always, they'd use it to spam you with advertising, they'd use it to gather information about your private life and sell it to the highest bidder, and they'd act as the universal intermediary between all users, content creators, and transactions, ensuring that everything has to be approved by them."

And now, the exciting part, is that over the next 12 years we're going to see VR scale down from a huge helmet to something the size of your glasses, which has a display for each eye that's higher quality than any display you can buy now, and cheaper, because it uses very little material. And that's going to revolutionize all forms of entertainment. Instead of having televisions and monitors and smartphone screens, you're going to have this VR device to project imagery wherever you want. It's going to occupy 140 degrees of your field of view--far, far higher quality and more immersive than the best PC entertainment experience you can get today.

It was 15 years from the debut of the consumer Internet to the explosion of social networks. You could have created an Internet-based social network in 1993, and it would have been fine. It could have taken off. Nobody figured it out. It might be like that with the metaverse. We might find that actually we had the components we needed to do it today.

When you install the Oculus drivers, by default you can only use the Oculus store. You have to rummage through the menu and turn that off if you want to run Steam. Which everybody does. It's just alienating and sends the wrong message to developers. It's telling developers: "You're on notice here. We're going to dominate this thing. And your freedom is going to expire at some point." It's a terrible precedent to set. I argued passionately against it.
But ultimately, the open platforms will win. They're going to have a much better selection of software. HTC Vive is a completely open platform. And other headsets are coming that will be completely open. HTC Vive is outselling Oculus 2-to-1 worldwide. I think that trend will continue.

Oculus would do best if they tried to bring users into their store by supporting HTC Vive and Oculus Rift and any other PC hardware that comes out. I think if they don't do that, they're going to pretty quickly fail, because you're not going to want to buy a multiplayer game that you can't play with half of your VR friends.

I think the mainstream version of this product does have to be like sunglasses. The helmet version is for serious people. The entirety of the console market – all console gamers are potential VR buyers – that's 100 million people, maybe, in the U.S. and Europe. And then there's 100 million, maybe, in Asia who are not console gamers but do play hardcore PC games like League of Legends. So there's 200 million helmet-wearing VR users worldwide. I think that's where that market tops out.

Carmack and I, we almost always agree on these core premises about the industry. But he has a very different view than I do. I think his view is that the convenience of mobile will more than make up for its shortcomings in graphics fidelity. My view is that creating a convincing sense of realism is so important that mobile VR won't be able to take off until mobile hardware has really improved considerably.
So far, the market share numbers would suggest that mobile VR is winning by a landslide. You have several times more Samsung Gear VR units out in the market than Oculus Rifts. But if you look at software sales, they tell the opposite story. Software revenue per user is at least 10 times higher on the PC platforms than on the smartphone platforms. It's so much higher that even though the mobile user base is so much larger, there's still more money be made in the PC and console business.

I bet in 20 years, we're going to live a very large fraction of our lives in the metaverse. Right now we're just typing stuff to each other in social media. Just imagine, if you telecommute, all of your work will be conducted through VR and AR. If there is one corporation that controls and accesses everybody's data stream, then they have complete insight into every aspect of everybody's lives.
That's really dangerous. That company, and any intelligence agencies and governments that it feeds into, will have the power to blackmail anybody. Because everybody has something to hide. Pervasive information collection is a really dangerous factor for a democracy.
That just makes it all the more important to ensure that this new medium is built in a decentralized way, where people can communicate with each other without surveillance, using technologies like end-to-end encryption. And that it's open to basically any company that would want to participate, just like the web is today. Any company can run a website. Any company should be able to host their part of the metaverse, so they can control that exclusively and nobody else can dictate terms to them. That decentralization is going to be the key to keeping it robust and secure and preserving everybody's rights.

There's a lot more in the article, but those were the most interesting quotes I read. He really goes in on VR and the eventual metaverse needing to be open. I need to read Snow Crash again.

Edit: I made a thread since I did not see one posted.

Compsiox

Banned
Glixel has an interview with Tim Sweeny, from Epic.

Choice bits:

There's a lot more in the article, but those were the most interesting quotes I read. He really goes in on VR and the eventual metaverse needing to be open. I need to read Snow Crash again.

Edit: I made a thread since I did not see one posted.

Realistically, I don´t see powerful hardware becoming as small as glasses in the next 12 years. I expect something like hololense but it streams the VR content from a computer in your pocket.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna be a juicy couple of weeks for news tidbits.

Realistically, I don´t see powerful hardware becoming as small as glasses in the next 12 years. I expect something like hololense but it streams the VR content from a computer in your pocket.

I don't understand how VR Glasses are supposed to work, period. Glasses don't cover your field of view.

This isn't a big problem for normal glasses because it's okay if your peripheral vision is blurry—nobody can see well there anyway. But we DO see something.

Yes, the Vive doesn't have a perfect FOV either (although I'd expect us to have higher standards in a decade), but at least the bits it doesn't cover are BLACK. With glasses, you'd still be seeing the real world out of the edge of your vision, unless you played in a pitch black room.

Am I missing something here? I can't imagine how this could possibly work, even with infinitely small and powerful computers and screens.

Zalusithix

I don't understand how VR Glasses are supposed to work, period. Glasses don't cover your field of view.

This isn't a big problem for normal glasses because it's okay if your peripheral vision is blurry—nobody can see well there anyway. But we DO see something.

Yes, the Vive doesn't have a perfect FOV either (although I'd expect us to have higher standards in a decade), but at least the bits it doesn't cover are BLACK. With glasses, you'd still be seeing the real world out of the edge of your vision, unless you played in a pitch black room.

Am I missing something here? I can't imagine how this could possibly work, even with infinitely small and powerful computers and screens.

Glasses in the case of VR means more the general size, not the open ended frames that we have. Think more like visor glasses, but with a light seal.

10dc6a820c3a6935644105caec76886d.jpg

I think you're thinking of, like, reading glasses. When I think full-coverage VR glasses, I think of something like the Deus Ex retractable glasses, that fully cover your entire eyesocket. Like this:
UklTsel.gif

I mean, I'm not saying that you should have sunglasses built into your head for VR, but there are glasses that fully cover your entire FOV -- the ones we have today just might not be as fashionable (but, honestly, if someone's looking for "fashionable" VR headsets/glasses, I think they'll have to skip ahead longer than 12 years).

EDIT:
Glasses in the case of VR means more the general size, not the open ended frames that we have. Think more like visor glasses, but with a light seal.

10dc6a820c3a6935644105caec76886d.jpg
That's another possibility, although one that's much, much uglier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom