• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

FOV is great but keep your expectations in check
SDE is not too noticeable if you don't think about it.
Things in the distance shimmer

I'm sure the shimmering can be solved with supersampling or high levels of AA. But it seems like a lot of games don't have anything configurable. Wonder if we can fiddle with INI files

mrklaw

MrArseFace
[*] The room scale stuff is incredibly cool. The Lab, budget cuts and Job simulator were the best experiences so far
[*] OTOH, I think room scale stuff is going to be incredibly niche. I had to pretty much clean out my office for it. I think it's worth it, but it's not a small sacrifice

I think a lot of room scale will realistically normalise as 'standing and waving your arms around'. If you think of it like that, then you really only need maybe 1m X 1m of clear floor space of you have some more space at head height - eg waving your arms over your sofa. So I do think there is capacity to play with what the strict definition of a play space is

Evo X

Um, are you able to transfer electricity into them using some sort of mind rays? Or, gosh, could you be the one to be wildly inaccurate in your claims?!?!?!

Listen all you fruitcakes - the piece makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that this was my personal, emotional reaction to fighting with the fucking thing to get it to work, and failing.

I love the arguments that go, "He clearly wanted to hate it from the start. Here, look where he says he was looking forward to using it - that's proof because I've decided it's a lie!" Because wow, it must actually hurt to have your brain be able to reach this conclusion.

I don't "hate" VR. Because I'm not a lunatic. I have written why I believe the niche interest (a niche in which I exist) will never reach the mainstream success necessary for it to have any long-term impact on gaming. I've made those arguments well enough that people here have only managed to call me names (wah wah, how will I get through the nights?) rather than counter them. I was very much looking forward to enjoying my VR playing today, with plans to review The Lab, and excited to see the full version of theBlue and try out the many VR titles that had appeared on Steam. Except, I couldn't, so I wrote about why.

But I'm sure all your demented conspiracy reasons are far more likely.

Ayy lmao.

Quoting this for future generations when VR is ubiquitous in the daily life of nearly all of humanity.

The nice thing about room scale integration in things like Budget Cuts is that you don't need much space, and can teleport granularly if you want, but if you have lots of space to move around you can utilize it.

Hundreds of geniuses spent thousands of hours and millions of dollars developing consumer VR these past few years and the biggest hurdle they are facing is shipping the fucking thing. I cannot comprehend HOW 2 multi-billion dollar corporations fuck up something so simple in 2016. Charge a card and ship a box. That's it.

It does make you angry, and unfortunately tarnishes the whole hype thing too. Me like many others are now staring down the barrel of a gun, whilst getting the order in nice and quick, could now have the whole transaction fail because they've not followed through and actually TAKE the money. I'm almost on the verge of fucking the thing off, Daniel OB is a liar also which makes my blood boil.

p2535748

I think a lot of room scale will realistically normalise as 'standing and waving your arms around'. If you think of it like that, then you really only need maybe 1m X 1m of clear floor space of you have some more space at head height - eg waving your arms over your sofa. So I do think there is capacity to play with what the strict definition of a play space is

Maybe, but playing, for instance, the portal robot repair demo, it's much much cooler when you can just walk around the space. When you have to teleport, it definitely loses something. The same goes with Budget Cuts. The teleportation mechanic is neat, but the best interaction is where you are actually walking around, kneeling down, etc.

In the end, though, I think that designing for smaller play spaces is going to win out, because it has to.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The mounting is the real variable here. I had poles in the corners setup, and just screwed the base stations in, and the setup took maybe 40 minutes. If I had to mount into the wall, 2 hours seems more reasonable.

And yeah, the setup requirements for this are ridiculous for the average person, they just are. That doesn't make it less cool for those willing to go through all of that, but it probably limits it's adoption.

It's not really aimed at the general consumer just yet though. It's aimed at people that spend an afternoon building heir own PC, or who will happily run cabling around their living room to set up a 5.1 sound system. Screwing a couple of small mounts to a wall is no more difficult than putting up a shelf or a pair of surround speakers. Yes it'll take some time but you know that going in.

For a first baseline attempt at modern VR, it's pretty damn compact and discreet

mr stroke

2aX3muYh.jpg

I hate you

Listen all you fruitcakes - the piece makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that this was my personal, emotional reaction to fighting with the fucking thing to get it to work, and failing.

FWIW, as someone actively seeking critical views of VR, your personal, emotional reaction, as well as how you are addressing people here, comes across as over dramatic, confrontational, and devoid of much useful information.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm sure the shimmering can be solved with supersampling or high levels of AA. But it seems like a lot of games don't have anything configurable. Wonder if we can fiddle with INI files

It's really nothing to worry about. Just focus on what you're doing and you forget all about it. I wouldn't wanna mess with the settings and risk going below 90fps

Sky Chief

I am more asking if the FOV, maybe I am asking wrong. How natural does the edge of the image on the sides and top feel. I tried the DK1 a while back and it felt weird looking towards the edges.

The shape of the image is totally oval and very pleasing. The sweet spot is really clear and much bigger than the DK2. The edges though are still blurry and sometimes have a weird effect where you see circular internal reflections or something. I'm guessing it had to do with the fresnel lenses. You don't see it all the time but it's happened a few times. I found playing with the lights off helps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Um, are you able to transfer electricity into them using some sort of mind rays? Or, gosh, could you be the one to be wildly inaccurate in your claims?!?!?!

I love the arguments that go, "He clearly wanted to hate it from the start. Here, look where he says he was looking forward to using it - that's proof because I've decided it's a lie!" Because wow, it must actually hurt to have your brain be able to reach this conclusion.

I don't "hate" VR. Because I'm not a lunatic. I have written why I believe the niche interest (a niche in which I exist) will never reach the mainstream success necessary for it to have any long-term impact on gaming. I've made those arguments well enough that people here have only managed to call me names (wah wah, how will I get through the nights?) rather than counter them. I was very much looking forward to enjoying my VR playing today, with plans to review The Lab, and excited to see the full version of theBlu and try out the many VR titles that had appeared on Steam. Except, I couldn't, so I wrote about why.

Why do you think it'll be a failure if it doesn't get AAA games? For me the experimentation being done by indies is the most interesting part. Seeing what will work and what won't. Knowing that someone somewhere is almost certainly cooking up a breakout experience.

And that's fine for this round. Then add in the network effect of thousands of people sharing this with their family and friends and word of mouth building. Yes the initial investment (time and money) is high, but that is within the wheelhouse of the target market of high end PC gamers, used to buying expensive peripherals and accessories

pj

Banned

I don't "hate" VR. Because I'm not a lunatic. I have written why I believe the niche interest (a niche in which I exist) will never reach the mainstream success necessary for it to have any long-term impact on gaming. I've made those arguments well enough that people here have only managed to call me names (wah wah, how will I get through the nights?) rather than counter them. I was very much looking forward to enjoying my VR playing today, with plans to review The Lab, and excited to see the full version of theBlu and try out the many VR titles that had appeared on Steam. Except, I couldn't, so I wrote about why.

Seems like 95% of your problems are related to lighthouse positioning. If you're unable or unwilling to permanently mount them, why not borrow lighting tripods from your place of work like a sane person?

"Attempts to drill into walls and ceilings proved futile as the brackets supplied need two-inch holes."

Not sure what this means but if your walls aren't 2 inches thick, go to a store and get shorter screws.

I don't understand why you would proceed with playing if you know your lighthouse setup isn't good. It's as if you were putting new wheels on your car, couldn't find the tire iron, shrugged, and proceeded to do donuts in the parking lot of the local Fibbledy Fobs grocer and are now complaining that your car won't move.

p2535748

It's not really aimed at the general consumer just yet though. It's aimed at people that spend an afternoon building heir own PC, or who will happily run cabling around their living room to set up a 5.1 sound system. Screwing a couple of small mounts to a wall is no more difficult than putting up a shelf or a pair of surround speakers. Yes it'll take some time but you know that going in.

For a first baseline attempt at modern VR, it's pretty damn compact and discreet

Edit: nevermind, I thought you were replying to a different comment.

In response to this specifically, yeah, I agree. I'm just saying it's not ridiculous to say "the can't achieve mainstream success as is", but that's true of any VR stuff, because the PC requirements are already too high to be mainstream.

Wag

I still have a SpaceOrb controller. It would be cool if someone figured out a way to adapt it for VR games.

Monger

How heavy is a 12v cable? How hard was that of a problem to fix?

It's an enthusiast device, we all understand that, I think. I'm sure there's validity to your experience somewhere underneath the temper tantrum of an article with its ridiculous hyperbole. Too bad it's impossible to find under the two hundred and seventy boxes and miles of wire.

MaxiLive

I received mine today and had a very quick play at work (shall have a proper go tomorrow) and the room scale stuff is very impressive and the quality of the headset screen was very impressive.

My only experience with VR have been with the DK2 so it was quite a jump! I don't think I'll be playing with it for hours and hours at the moment due to the limited software applications. But for those short experiences it been kind of mind blowing.

The Valve software seems pretty fantastic as well, super easy to setup and very well thought out for the current hardware.

I should be getting my Rift tomorrow and having a proper go with the Vive so I'll have more impressions then :)

x3sphere

Weird, so everything was working fine yesterday but today SteamVR is telling me my HDMI cable is not connected. Thing is, it is, I double checked, reseated everything and then rebooted the headset. Still getting the message though :\

Anyone else run into this?

EDIT: Applied firmware update for the controllers and everything is working again.

bj00rn_

Banned
That article isn't wrong. Most of his points are valid. It essentially boils down to "unless current gen VR creates a fundamentally new and sustainable gameplay experience, it will fail due to cost of entry and lack of large developer investment". Which is probably true.

This is the first generation consumer VR.., and for the last two years the consensus has clearly been that this will be "the enthusiast generation", and realistically a generation with a slow building momentum going forward (including software library). This shouldn't come as a surprise to a tech journalist. You just can't make a trend with one sample without another one to draw a line between.

The Vive is an enthusiast product, everyone including HTC knows it's not going to sell to the masses. But there's eventually going to be about one billion other HMDs out there to cater for all price ranges, and those will be handled by steamvr/openvr and build on an accumulating software library.

Edit: The Vive appears to have a good launch lineup anyway..

It doesn't much matter for the Vive anyway, because it will eventually be leapfrogged by rapidly advancing VR tech sooner rather than later, and that's actually a good thing. I just hope I get mine before that happens..

pj

Banned
Weird, so everything was working fine yesterday but today SteamVR is telling me my HDMI cable is not connected. Thing is, it is, I double checked, reseated everything and then rebooted the headset. Still getting the message though :\

Anyone else run into this?

Just a guess, does your breakout box have power?

x3sphere

Just a guess, does your breakout box have power?

Yeah. It's working now, I noticed there was a firmware update available for the controllers so applied it and now everything works again - I did enable Bluetooth last night before shutting my computer off so not sure if that messed with something.

Cartman86

Banned

People aren't countering them because we've heard them countless times before and are tired of addressing them. Particularly on this forum. I figured when "real" games actually came out people would give them a fair shot and there wouldn't be this argument about the appeal and lack of AAA Ubisoft bullshit. Sure the price and typical PC issues would be a concern, but Fantastic Contraption? The Gallery? These are real games that have a huge wide appeal.

"The developers recommend a 3m x 4m space to play Unseen Diplomacy comfortably, but the game somehow managed to be playable in a space that measures just over 3m x 2m."

that's going to be a big relief for a lot of people that want to try this one.

Area rug, man. Area rug.

soon(tm)

until then, wrist straps and careful planning. :D

cakefoo

Can we see pics of your room and mounting solutions? I want to know if we can identify the cause of your technical issues.

Cartman86

Banned
"The developers recommend a 3m x 4m space to play Unseen Diplomacy comfortably, but the game somehow managed to be playable in a space that measures just over 3m x 2m."

that's going to be a big relief for a lot of people that want to try this one.

soon(tm)

until then, wrist straps and careful planning. :D

Yeah GB played it yesterday and it seemed to work.

Durante

Well, my personal, emotional reaction to that is that it does not make you seem particularly resourceful.

Krejlooc

Banned
for all those worrying - the cable is more than long enough to run up a boom rig and back down to the floor and still hit all the corners of my play area while laying down. My play area is 10' x 10' big. If I used a longer HDMI and USB cable, I could easily make this work with a larger area. I'm gonna live stream here in a few hours (still setting stuff up) but I'll run over how the boom rig works when I do.

Durante

for all those worrying - the cable is more than long enough to run up a boom rig and back down to the floor and still hit all the corners of my play area while laying down. My play area is 10' x 10' big. If I used a longer HDMI and USB cable, I could easily make this work with a larger area. I'm gonna live stream here in a few hours (still setting stuff up) but I'll run over how the boom rig works when I do.
Where are you placing the connection box in that setup?

Wallach

Definitely interested to see how you have it set up. Some other folks were saying they were concerned about potentially having the cable come into contact with your hands when trying to run the cable up above.

Jams775

Are you going to play windlands?

How can a 12v cable be such a problem if both lighthouses have one and they don't need to be connected with one another? Plus, the plug will keep the cable stable. If your wall outlet is too far it's your problem.

Same with your inability to drill some holes in the wall.

Main cable can be a nuisance, it's there to see. Together with the same old arguments.

Well, my personal, emotional reaction to that is that it does not make you seem particularly resourceful.

That's my point as well.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Quick question: My computer is about 3.5 meters away from the intended VR space, will I have an issue with this and need to displace my desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom