• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Um, are you able to transfer electricity into them using some sort of mind rays? Or, gosh, could you be the one to be wildly inaccurate in your claims?!?!?!

Listen all you fruitcakes - the piece makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that this was my personal, emotional reaction to fighting with the fucking thing to get it to work, and failing.

I love the arguments that go, "He clearly wanted to hate it from the start. Here, look where he says he was looking forward to using it - that's proof because I've decided it's a lie!" Because wow, it must actually hurt to have your brain be able to reach this conclusion.

I don't "hate" VR. Because I'm not a lunatic. I have written why I believe the niche interest (a niche in which I exist) will never reach the mainstream success necessary for it to have any long-term impact on gaming. I've made those arguments well enough that people here have only managed to call me names (wah wah, how will I get through the nights?) rather than counter them. I was very much looking forward to enjoying my VR playing today, with plans to review The Lab, and excited to see the full version of theBlu and try out the many VR titles that had appeared on Steam. Except, I couldn't, so I wrote about why.

But I'm sure all your demented conspiracy reasons are far more likely.

Whoa

Isn't "fruitcake" a derogatory term for homosexuals? I get your frustration, but is this kind of language necessary?

pj

Banned
Whoa

Isn't "fruitcake" a derogatory term for homosexuals? I get your frustration, but is this kind of language necessary?

Wow, outrage without even knowing if the word is outrageous. A new low for gaf.

fruitcake

noun

a crazy person.
Yeah, my uncle is a bit of a fruitcake.
See more words with the same meaning: crazy, insane, weird, strange person.

(I also think a consumer electronics setup of two hours is ridiculous)

have you ever set up an A/V receiver?

Hooking up devices + universal remote + connecting speakers + using the little microphone to configure speakers is a "longer than 2 hour" process and that is a more "mainstream" consumer electronics setup than VR

viveks86

Wow these controllers feel way more premium than the steam controller. The buttons, the trackpads, the texture, the amount of travel on the triggers...

Durante

Quick question: My computer is about 3.5 meters away from the intended VR space, will I have an issue with this and need to displace my desktop?
Depending on the size of your intended VR space, you might need some longer cables (than those included) from your PC to the box. But other than that, no.

Wow these controllers feel way more premium than the steam controller. The buttons, the trackpads, the texture, the amount of travel on the triggers...
Sounds great. Personally I'm already happy with how the Steam controller feels outside of the shoulder button resistance.

Jams775

Wow, outrage without even knowing if the word is outrageous. A new low for gaf.

What an upside down cake thing to say.

Edit: What kind of cable do the light houses use for tracking? For some reason I want imagine a simple 3.5mm audio cable.

Not necessarily. While this guy does come off as kind of a dick bag, he probably wasn't using the term in that manner.

It was his "personal, emotional reaction to fighting with the fucking thread, and failing".

I mean, hundreds of random Youtube streamers were able to set the Vive up without running into these seemingly insurmountable issues.

Well, maybe they are all geniuses. Or maybe something else is going on.

I was under the assumption that writing a piece about some new technology on a well renowned website would imply actually having the right space (or ability) to test it.

But I'm not an expert, so who knows.

pj

Banned
Not necessarily. While this guy does come off as kind of a dick bag, he probably wasn't using the term in that manner.

Whoah.

Isn't dick bag a derogatory term for hispanic jews? I could probably look it up in 4 seconds and see that it isn't but instead I will make a concerned sounding post so everyone knows how progressive and tolerant I am.

Monger

Whoa

It's commonly used to mean crazy, like "nutty as a fruitcake." But yes, calling the people in this thread fruit cakes is probably not the way to go and just re-enforces what everyone already thought.

I think we should stop fruitcaking and get back to discussing the future.

This. If he actually wanted to have a meaningful conversation about it he would have engaged politely with civility. Either he isn't at that point yet or he is actively trying to create drama for clicks or something.

Animator

Um, are you able to transfer electricity into them using some sort of mind rays? Or, gosh, could you be the one to be wildly inaccurate in your claims?!?!?!

Listen all you fruitcakes - the piece makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that this was my personal, emotional reaction to fighting with the fucking thing to get it to work, and failing.

I love the arguments that go, "He clearly wanted to hate it from the start. Here, look where he says he was looking forward to using it - that's proof because I've decided it's a lie!" Because wow, it must actually hurt to have your brain be able to reach this conclusion.

I don't "hate" VR. Because I'm not a lunatic. I have written why I believe the niche interest (a niche in which I exist) will never reach the mainstream success necessary for it to have any long-term impact on gaming. I've made those arguments well enough that people here have only managed to call me names (wah wah, how will I get through the nights?) rather than counter them. I was very much looking forward to enjoying my VR playing today, with plans to review The Lab, and excited to see the full version of theBlu and try out the many VR titles that had appeared on Steam. Except, I couldn't, so I wrote about why.

But I'm sure all your demented conspiracy reasons are far more likely.

I like that with all your "heh nothing you guys say effect me" you just rushed here to make this long winded post where you are clearly frustrated and bitter.

As for your article it is full of bullshit and false info. I know because I have seen the lighthouses set up multiple times at work and never once ran into the problems you ran into. I don't care about if you hate VR or the experience or if you think the games are not "worth it". It is one guys opinion. But when you are writing an article that influence other peoples purchase you owe it to your audience to be as unbiased as possible and you were not.

And hey your niche site has one less reader now.

Ciggavelli

Neo Member
I'm trying to setup my vive, and I have green lights on my headset controllers and base stations, but SteamVR has the headset icon blinking green, the two controllers greyed out, and the two base stations greyed out. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are these going to be shipped in even slightly larger quantities any time soon? In all honesty I'd pay a few hundred above retail to get one now, but there's almost no listings for them or the Rift on eBay at this point (literally like three in hand at the moment) and they're all almost $1500 more than retail, which is madness. I know it's early but I almost expected a noticeable chunk of the preorders to be from scalpers, which doesn't seem to be the case so far.

I've decided to not get excited until I start hearing reports of second wavers getting tracking info or charges or something...

bullets.gif

sk3

Banned
I wish they had a better way to extend from PC to headset, so you could go to a different room or mount the cable overhead to avoid stepping on it.

HDMI can be pretty long, but USB3 can only be about 10 ft unless you get a super expensive active cable (30ft = $150).

Zalusithix

That's a good thing, because the Steam controller isn't something I'd label as feeling "premium". It's innovative, but it feels kind of cheap when compared to the refinement present in the other major console controllers. For something as expensive as the Vive, I'd expect more.

I think we should stop fruitcaking and get back to discussing the future.

What if they're virtual fruitcakes?

Shoyz

Are they not going to ship a single US Vive today?

Delay while they fix the ordering mess, or diminished supply?

jaypah

Looking at this clusterfuck I have abandoned hope of getting my May order in early May. I'll be surprised if it comes before May is over. Ah well, more time to stock up on software I suppose.

Lurch666

I ordered 2 mins after preorders went up and haven't heard a peep.

UK credit card order.Also ordered within 2 mins.
Finally got my DHL email saying it's on it's way and will be here on the 11th.
Just glad it's on it's way.

CC still not charged though. :/

Sky Chief

I don't know about the rest of you but it took me 45 minutes to set up my Vive and I found the entire process to be really easy. The only hiccup was having to upgrade firmware on the controllers and headset. My setup experience was extremely positive.

kaskade

I bought a google cardboard to get a taste until my Vive comes and damn. I'm sure coardboard is like 1/10th the experience. So Vive must be mind blowing. Like I wanted to reach out and touch stuff. Plus it'll be a higher res screen, better tracking, and higher FPS. I felt a little weird with the cardboard but nothing major so I'm sure I'd be fine with the Vive. I can see why the manufacturers want 90 FPS.

billeh

HTC gonna make a statement on any of this bullshit?

Nice of them to take my money and then hear nothing for a week.

jaypah

I just saw budget cuts and VR hype meter has finally risen, if i order a Vive now when could i expect it delivered?

My wife ordered on the 29th of March I believe and we have a generic date of May. It might be later than that now between late buyers and their shipping problems.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm sure the shimmering can be solved with supersampling or high levels of AA. But it seems like a lot of games don't have anything configurable. Wonder if we can fiddle with INI files

Hopefully we have some control over the internal resolution! When I had the DK2 running in extended desktop mode, I was able to increase the resolution of that panel in the Windows settings and it carried over as downsampling in Elite.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Finally got to play Hover Junkers. My feet hurt now from all the flexing and dodging. But it feels so good. This a perfect game. The whole concept, from the feel of the guns and the shooting, to the way you re-load the gun and to the way you move your vehicle around builds together some really great gameplay. I got my ass kicked badly in the last round, but what a joy it has been. Now I got some decent stuff on my ship, I hope I get to keep them next time I jump in.

This and Space Pirate Trainer are my highlights of the first day in terms of pure games. Strong games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom