• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

I think you're thinking of, like, reading glasses. When I think full-coverage VR glasses, I think of something like the Deus Ex retractable glasses, that fully cover your entire eyesocket. Like this:
UklTsel.gif

I mean, I'm not saying that you should have sunglasses built into your head for VR, but there are glasses that fully cover your entire FOV -- the ones we have today just might not be as fashionable (but, honestly, if someone's looking for "fashionable" VR headsets/glasses, I think they'll have to skip ahead longer than 12 years).That's another possibility, although one that's much, much uglier.

Fitting displays and optics with a wide FoV into something as small as what amounts to a swimming goggles is going to be pushing it big time for 12 years.

DJ88

So I just had a damn near religious experience with my Vive and Assetto Corsa. I was finally able to buy a racing seat I had been searching months for, and after it arrived, I quickly downloaded AC.

At first I was getting a lot of reprojection with a subpar frame rate. It was fun but I kept feeling like it was just sooo close to being an amazing experience. I messed around with graphics settings to no avail, but finally figured out that disabling reprojection solved the problem.

I loaded up Spa in a P1 I believe and holy shit I kid you not, I was almost brought to tears.

Once it was running at a buttery smooth 90 fps it all finally clicked. I could not stop smiling. There were moments going though the corners where it was seriously almost euphoric, having my hands on a real wheel that matched the virtual one, combined with the seat, and I was fucking there! Here I was flying up the Eau Rouge at Spa in a P1, truly feeling the insane elevation of it, and in that instant, realizing why it's such a terrifying corner in real life. Holy shit! That was a mind shattering moment. I know it sounds like hyperbole, but for a lifetime racing fan, it really isn't.

When I first saw VR I knew that it would be incredible for sim racing, that one day I would need to own one with a racing wheel and seat, and what I experienced just now has made everything I've invested into getting it worth it 100%.

Next I started a race against the AI and had amazing battles for position. I was able to actually judge the distance between me and the car ahead so I could maintain a steady spot close behind and wait for the perfect moment to overtake. After the race I loaded up the replay and had an aha moment where I stepped out of my racing chair, clipping out through the car and having the most incredible view. Standing right next to a 1:1 scale race car, the camera attached to it as it flew through the course. I could walk around and get right up on the wheels and watch the brakes glow when going into the corners. It was by far the coolest thing I've ever done in VR.

I truly could not be more thankful to be alive at a time that VR is actually a thing.

TheRed

So I just had a damn near religious experience with my Vive and Assetto Corsa. I was finally able to buy a racing seat I had been searching months for, and after it arrived, I quickly downloaded AC.

At first I was getting a lot of reprojection with a subpar frame rate. It was fun but I kept feeling like it was just sooo close to being an amazing experience. I messed around with graphics settings to no avail, but finally figured out that disabling reprojection solved the problem.

I loaded up Spa in a P1 I believe and holy shit I kid you not, I was almost brought to tears.

Once it was running at a buttery smooth 90 fps it all finally clicked. I could not stop smiling. There were moments going though the corners where it was seriously almost euphoric, having my hands on a real wheel that matched the virtual one, combined with the seat, and I was fucking there! Here I was flying up the Eau Rouge at Spa in a P1, truly feeling the insane elevation of it, and in that instant, realizing why it's such a terrifying corner in real life. Holy shit! That was a mind shattering moment. I know it sounds like hyperbole, but for a lifetime racing fan, it really isn't.

I've always loved racing so when I first saw VR I knew that one day I would need to own one with a racing wheel and seat, and what I experienced just now has made everything I've invested into getting it worth it 100%.

Next I started a race against the AI and had amazing battles for position. I was able to actually judge the distance between me and the car ahead so I could maintain a steady spot close behind and wait for the perfect moment to overtake. After the race I loaded up the replay and had an aha moment where I stepped out of my racing chair, clipping out through the car and having the most incredible view. Standing right next to a 1:1 scale race car, the camera attached to it as it flew through the course. I could walk around and get right up on the wheels and watch the brakes glow when going into the corners. It was by far the coolest thing I've ever done in VR.

I truly could not be more thankful to be alive at a time that VR is actually a thing.
Yess AC has been my favorite VR experience for a long time now, it's great.

Fitting displays and optics with a wide FoV into something as small as what amounts to a swimming goggles is going to be pushing it big time for 12 years.

Oh, I agree. I mean, if you told me 12 years ago where we'd be now I'd've thought you were crazy, but I still think the target Sweeny laid out for the next 12 years is fairly optimistic.

I'd love for it to happen, though.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Norm still providing the best and most informed VR coverage. If he says the latency is undetectable I believe him! It's crazy we got to wireless so quickly, I can't wait to get one.

If I don't buy a Switch this year, I will buy this instead.

When I first saw VR I knew that it would be incredible for sim racing, that one day I would need to own one with a racing wheel and seat, and what I experienced just now has made everything I've invested into getting it worth it 100%.

Ugh. I need to get a racing wheel.

Crispy75

The rumoured tech behind Magic Leap might do it. Very rapid vibration of a glass fibre to scan out the image onto a reflective screen (transparent+reflective in the AR case) so all the actual light projection equipment can be in a belt-mounted box along with the battery and computing.

Evo X

I'm waiting for the SAR of this thing.

Wow, it's actually the real deal huh?

Very impressive. I will likely pick this up at launch. The wire is the most annoying thing about vr right now. Nothing breaks immersion more than constantly keeping track of it and tripping over it.

Only concern is dumping even more money into a gen 1 headset. Maybe Vive 2 will have superior specs with audio and wireless solution built in.

Wow, it's actually the real deal huh?

Very impressive. I will likely pick this up at launch. The wire is the most annoying thing about vr right now. Nothing breaks immersion more than constantly keeping track of it and tripping over it.

Only concern is dumping even more money into a gen 1 headset. Maybe Vive 2 will have superior specs with audio and wireless solution built in.
I actually prefer this approach. I have no issues with the actual display (because lol am I gonna afford to be able to push more pixels), but upgrading the rest of the headset piece meal is pretty sweet of them.

SomTervo

I actually prefer this approach. I have no issues with the actual display (because lol am I gonna afford to be able to push more pixels), but upgrading the rest of the headset piece meal is pretty sweet of them.

Never thought about that. It is nicer to upgrade one part of the package rather than buy a "Vive 2.0" and a bunch of other upgrades.

Wallach

TPCast is enough for me to keep my Vive around until it is available in the US. The tether is the #1 enemy of VR. That and the new headstrap with built in audio take care of my top two issues with the Vive.

The third however is the controllers; did any more information come out about those prototype controllers they showed off?

Zalusithix

The rumoured tech behind Magic Leap might do it. Very rapid vibration of a glass fibre to scan out the image onto a reflective screen (transparent+reflective in the AR case) so all the actual light projection equipment can be in a belt-mounted box along with the battery and computing.
I was actually running with the idea of AR waveguide displays when I pitched the visor style. Flatter and more rectangular works better for that style of display. I'd actually be surprised to see even that level of tech crossover between VR and AR in 12 years though. I'm guessing we're still going to be more in goggle territory for premium VR. They'll be far smaller ones, but goggles nonetheless. AR display types have benefits in thinness / bulk reduction and allow the critical transparency needed for AR, but have major hurdles to overcome in terms of FoV and display quality. In VR where FoV and display quality are paramount above all else, that just isn't ideal. Eventually we'll get to complete convergence, but I just don't see it happening in 12 years.

The third however is the controllers; did any more information come out about those prototype controllers they showed off?
The controllers were Valve's work. They weren't going to show up at CES.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So, we have finally announced our asset for the Unreal Engine Marketplace, Weapon Master VR. We still have some stuff to do before launch but we are pretty excited to get it out to people to use in their projects. I know there might not be a lot of VR devs here but I thought I would shamelessly plug it anyways. LOL. Anyways, here is the video and a link to our brand spanking new WIP thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZM7g2vX1kY

https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...Master-VR-(Upcoming-complete-VR-Weapon-System)

Weapon Master has been in dev for six months (around 200 hours so far) and, we aim to cover as many weapon needs as possible with future updates. It is being developed as part of our unannounced VR Horror Game which uses its more advanced mechanics. We hope to share more about the game later this summer.

Durante

It's surprising to me how common the idea that supersampling will be an issue for TPcast (or other wireless VR) is in online discussions.

The real question is if/how they are going to handle foveated rendering.
pulling all assumptions out of my ass
Bandwidth requirements for a 4k+ 90hz+ stream may be larger than they can realise, so you might need to send two video streams, one low res/high FoV, other high res/low FoV, and then splice them together on the head unit. This needs some more processing that might add lag, and it'll need game engine/driver support.

Zalusithix

Bandwidth requirements for a 4k+ 90hz+ stream may be larger than they can realise, so you might need to send two video streams, one low res/high FoV, other high res/low FoV, and then splice them together on the head unit. This needs some more processing that might add lag, and it'll need game engine/driver support.

The exact same problem is encountered on wired connections. There's just not enough bandwidth to send stupidly high resolution (2x4k+ @ 90hz+) images over at high frame rates. It's also stupid to do so in the first place when a huge chunk of the frame is going to be redundant data. You're either going to need (adaptive) compression, a headset based compositor, or both regardless of what you use to transmit. Wired is just more foolproof and has more headroom.

Crispy75

If the stream is compressed, the simple fact that most of the image is already blurred by virtue of foveated rendering should make it very amenable to compression.

See the answer above your original post about image being sent to the headset. You aren't getting a 4k image you are getting a 2160x1200 image. That may change when there are headsets available with eye tracking to allow for foveated rendering but the TPCast is for the Vive as it is now and by the time the next iteration comes out it will most likely be outdated hardware.

See the answer above your original post about image being sent to the headset. You aren't getting a 4k image you are getting a 2160x1200 image. That may change when there are headsets available with eye tracking to allow for foveated rendering but the TPCast is for the Vive as it is now and by the time the next iteration comes out it will most likely be outdated hardware.

I didn't mean for the current Vive but a theoretical future version that has higher res displays and eye tracking. IF Vive manages to put that video data over a normal cable, a third party such as TPCast might not be able to just replace that by a wireless signal. They'd need more wizardry that might require software support as well.

Zalusithix

I didn't mean for the current Vive but a theoretical future version that has higher res displays and eye tracking. IF Vive manages to put that video data over a normal cable, a third party such as TPCast might not be able to just replace that by a wireless signal. They'd need more wizardry that might require software support as well.

Given that HTC is working directly with TPCast, Intel, and Valve, I expect they'll manage on that front. It's not like the wireless device providers have to pave the road without any official assistance from HTC, and any software specific support will be likely be dealt with in cooperation with Valve.

So, we have finally announced our asset for the Unreal Engine Marketplace, Weapon Master VR. We still have some stuff to do before launch but we are pretty excited to get it out to people to use in their projects. I know there might not be a lot of VR devs here but I thought I would shamelessly plug it anyways. LOL. Anyways, here is the video and a link to our brand spanking new WIP thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZM7g2vX1kY

https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...Master-VR-(Upcoming-complete-VR-Weapon-System)

Weapon Master has been in dev for six months (around 200 hours so far) and, we aim to cover as many weapon needs as possible with future updates. It is being developed as part of our unannounced VR Horror Game which uses its more advanced mechanics. We hope to share more about the game later this summer.

This is magic dude, well done :D! Super happy to see something like this on the Marketplace!

All an issue of transmitter speeds really. At the moment TPcast only needs a HDMI 1.3 and USB 2.0 for what they are doing. 4k at 90h would require the upcoming HDMI 2.1 and I'm assuming a USB 3.0 for the extra bandwidth eye tracking would require. At the moment the current technology can not. I don't see why it would require specific software solutions beyond the standard software it uses to run as as the transmitters need to hit the speeds required, if they can't hit the HDMI standard then the image will be output at a lower resolution, and if the tech fails to hit the bandwidth for eye tracking then foveated won't be possible with it

Just a heads up, that rEvolve Kickstarter is live. Couple of extra notes from the last time they posted:

• It's going to have an add on bar for the top of the head that will be compatible with upcoming wireless solutions. Specific adaptors will be 3D printed based on what wireless things release, and you'll be able to print them yourself for free or buy it from them.
  • Will be usable with over the ear headphones
  • The hinge locks in place in the up and down position.
  • They added a little section in the video of them moving fast and looking down with it on due to Reddit feedback/concerns about it.
Still a bit on the fence with it. I think this will ultimately be more comfortable than the deluxe strap and being able to flip up the headset is a big plus, but I like the idea of the integrated headphones with the deluxe strap and we know using it with the wireless solutions is going to be super easy.

Durante

At 85 USD I'm heavily considering giving it a try.

Personally I never found the current Vive mounting solution to be all that bad (I can play for hours without issues), but the whole flip-up setup seems useful, and it is true that you should be able to achieve lightly higher FoV with that type of mounting solution.

Zalusithix

All an issue of transmitter speeds really. At the moment TPcast only needs a HDMI 1.3 and USB 2.0 for what they are doing. 4k at 90h would require the upcoming HDMI 2.1 and I'm assuming a USB 3.0 for the extra bandwidth eye tracking would require. At the moment the current technology can not. I don't see why it would require specific software solutions beyond the standard software it uses to run as as the transmitters need to hit the speeds required, if they can't hit the HDMI standard then the image will be output at a lower resolution, and if the tech fails to hit the bandwidth for eye tracking then foveated won't be possible with it

HDMI is not the future for VR unless there's some aspect of 2.1 that we don't know about. As such, the sooner PCVR ditches HDMI the better. You don't want to waste bandwidth transmitting a large frame where most of it is rendered at sub-native resolutions. This waste matters as much for wired transmission as it does for wireless. While a wire might be able to transmit a large amount of bandwidth, the more you ask from it, the bigger and heavier it's going to be to cover a given distance with all the additional shielding. Bigger heavier cables are the exact opposite direction that we want to go.

DP at least gives a standards compliant way to transmit a high resolution foveated image with greatly reduced bandwidth usage. Using MST, multiple independent streams of differing resolutions can be simultaneously transmitted. This way the headset can be configured as a logical grouping of displays and re-composite the final image at a headset level. It also has DSC to further reduce the periphery stream's bandwidth further.

Edit:
As to the rEvolve unit, I'm curious, but hesitant - especially with the HTC offering in the mix. The flip could cause as many problems as it solves (looking down). The larger FoV via thinner pads is concerning. Is this optional or baked into the design? As a person that wears glasses I can't have the unit closer to my face. Even with a VR-lens-lab type solution, I'd still be less capable of going thin with the padding than somebody without them. There's also no real mentioning of how they're making them either. For all I know they plan on 3D printing the final version out. Warranty? Weight (even of the prototype)? Frankly the KS is very scant on information.

Edit 2: Road to VR has an article up on HypeVR's volumetric video capture which I covered in The High-end VR Discussion Thread. (Poor thread barely sees any use.)

Edit:
As to the rEvolve unit, I'm curious, but hesitant - especially with the HTC offering in the mix. The flip could cause as many problems as it solves (looking down).
The new KS video has an added section of the guy moving around and looking down specifically due to the concern. Pretty quick, but seems solid.

The larger FoV via thinner pads is concerning. Is this optional or baked into the design? As a person that wears glasses I can't have the unit closer to my face. Even with a VR-lens-lab type solution, I'd still be less capable of going thin with the padding than somebody without them.
Yeah, not sure about that.

There's also no real mentioning of how they're making them either. For all I know they plan on 3D printing the final version out. Warranty? Weight (even of the prototype)? Frankly the KS is very scant on information.
Here's what they said on Reddit:

jtworks said:
We have the options of 3D printing or resin cast molding if there is low volume, or injection molding if we have higher volume. We recognize that VR headsets get tossed and banged around a lot so we will adjust the thickness of the end components by material type. In the end we will deliver nothing less than the most comfortable VR headset you have ever worn.

dsk1210

Dude you might have found my problem with Assetto Corsa, I have tried everything but could not get it running at 90fps, I never thought to disable reprojection.

Paganmoon

$50 for shipping to Sweden, might be worth it, hopefully they'll get some vr news outlets try it out and give impressions before the Kickstarter is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom