• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewiring my boom rig, in the meantime my buddy is playing tiltbrush

EepA0mG.jpg

7ew3ZSx.jpg

"A Vive you say?"

Evo X

Has anyone come across any cheap speaker stands, around 3-5' tall? Thinking about the lighthouse setup in my room I have a desk and a windowsill I can place them on but I need short stands to raise them above body height.

Figure someone on GAF has done research on shelving options.

I'm looking for some now so I can try and avoid drilling into my rented properties walls. I want some that will reach the ceiling though which is just over 7 feet tall.

This is the setup I've decided to go with. It's stable, secure, doesn't take up much space, and can easily be stowed away when not in use.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRDD6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSMCPKQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sky Chief

Cool. Thanks. If u had to pick one which is the most impressive

The Blu because it's totally awesome but only about two minutes long and all you have to do is stand there and take in a really awe inspiring experience. Specifically, the whale encounter.

If she's really into space and/or history then Apollo 11 would be an awesome followup. Again, it's just sit there and look at awesome shit but it is significantly more in depth and a longer experience.

kinggroin

Banned
Oh I have no trouble clicking them either, but I can't configure them as mouse clicks and use the trackpad as a mouse. The mouse always moved just a little bit when the click happens that it is never pixel perfect. Windows thinks I'm clicking and dragging the mouse, instead of just clicking. It happens because I set the mouse sensitivity super high. I'm one of those guys that plays with mouse sensitivity at 80% or higher :D

Yeah that makes sense. Clicking them requires just enough force that it makes subtle movements on the track pad pretty damn hard.

IMACOMPUTA

£50 each in the UK...

Rather just drill the walls and fill the holes with toothpaste when I move out.

Yeah, these are what I want to get for my set up, but it'll end up being over $70 with the rods and clips.

F that. I wonder if i can find them cheaper locally.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Id say do it, just in case

Ended up going. It was actually only a kiosk in the mall but the guy there knew what he was talking about. He was going to the closest actual store tomorrow and is going to shoot me an email once he figures out when they may be getting them. I was also able to put in a reservation and he could get it shipped to the kiosk for me.

robotrock

Banned
Oh man, those new personality cores they did for slingshot in The Lab are so awesome.

Valve please make a new narrative driven game

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oh I have no trouble clicking them either, but I can't configure them as mouse clicks and use the trackpad as a mouse. The mouse always moved just a little bit when the click happens that it is never pixel perfect. Windows thinks I'm clicking and dragging the mouse, instead of just clicking. It happens because I set the mouse sensitivity super high. I'm one of those guys that plays with mouse sensitivity at 80% or higher :D

Yup, same here. Need to put click on another input to get accurate clicks.

Ended up going. It was actually only a kiosk in the mall but the guy there knew what he was talking about. He was going to the closest actual store tomorrow and is going to shoot me an email once he figures out when they may be getting them. I was also able to put in a reservation and he could get it shipped to the kiosk for me.

Nice! Keep us posted. I didn't realize there are two MS stores in Orlando, but I'm not sure if they are both stores or not. I'd rather reserve from an actual store, although it probably won't matter.

XRA

Neo Member
The Lab is amazing, great intro to VR for people... and i sweat my ass off in Hover Junkers squatting and crawling around on the floor, that game is insane, the only downside is if you get in a laggy match

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Went to my backyard for a few minutes, come back to a missed delivery note even though I have RING on my phone so I would have gotten the doorbell.

This is fine. Everything is fine. I am fine. I am fine.

Went to my backyard for a few minutes, come back to a missed delivery note even though I have RING on my phone so I would have gotten the doorbell.

Dude...that really, really sucks. I mean, I'm still waiting on a shipping email but I feel bad for you.

Get in your car and track him down if you can. Seriously. Just bring your ID along with you.

Compsiox

Banned
The Lab is amazing, great intro to VR for people... and i sweat my ass off in Hover Junkers squatting and crawling around on the floor, that game is insane, the only downside is if you get in a laggy match

Make sure your server selector is set to Best

theeraser

How much difficulty would I have setting up the Lighthouse stations in good locations if I'm not able to drill wall mounts into my walls? Thinking about switching from a Rift to a Vive, but not sure how conducive my apartment is for room-scale...

3osz62YYOS348YhYhW.gif

He looks like he only took it off because he's on the verge of death from malnourishment. When he put it on, is shirt was tight fitting and his face was clean shaven.

kaskade

I showed some people the google cardboard and they were amazed. I can't imagine what they'll do when the Vive is set up.

I actually have an empty unfinished room in my basement. I think it's like 11x11. I'm just going to put my PC tower down there with my old monitor and make it a vive station to show people. My room would just about be the minimum space. Might as well make use of it before I move out.

I can't check my order on the site. It asks for either my email and last five digits of my card, or order number and password. Whichever one I choose just takes me to a wrong information message.

Sky Chief

The valve bullet hell shmup is way more impressive in vr than it looks in videos. Its absolutely nuts.

I just came here to post this. It's the most amazing shit I have ever done and looks incredible. Great design idea to make it a physically small area with miniatures.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here's one for the artists - do you think Lighthouse could be used as an input for illustration/photo editing? Not talking about Tilt Brush, just regular editing, but on a virtual easel or giant tablet.

Imagine a laser pointer extending from the controller as your mouse pointer, and you're interacting with the image at the intersection point. Pull trigger for pressure-sensitive input.

You'd rely on working on a zoomed image most of the time for precision work, but I think it could be useful.

I almost just bought one on eBay for $1700.

Help me GAF. I'm starting to be irrationally obsessive about this. I almost literally can't stop checking this thread and r/Vive every few minutes.

Edit: oh my god there was just one for $1100 what is my life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom