• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If you don't own Climbey buy it right fucking now.

I play it every night online. It's always a blast.

How is it in comparison to The Climb? I got that and got bored with it pretty quickly.

I am so ready to play Rec Room's new mode. shame I will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow.

SomTervo

How is it in comparison to The Climb? I got that and got bored with it pretty quickly.

I am so ready to play Rec Room's new mode. shame I will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow.

Completely different ball game. Climbey is like The Climb by way of Nintendo. One of the best locomotion systems around, Rayman-like platforming, built in co-op, level editor, &c.

It's absolutely fantastic. And cheap.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Completely different ball game. Climbey is like The Climb by way of Nintendo. One of the best locomotion systems around, Rayman-like platforming, built in co-op, level editor, &c.

I did not realize there is a demo. I'll give a try this weekend.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
hello

Can someone post an actual print screen of a game with supersampling set to 1, and then 2, so I can compare how both resolutions stack up against my PSVR on pc ? Its all very very fuzzy

Much Appreciated! Even better if the game is Assetto Corsa

Durante

hello

Can someone post an actual print screen of a game with supersampling set to 1, and then 2, so I can compare how both resolutions stack up against my PSVR on pc ? Its all very very fuzzy

Much Appreciated! Even better if the game is Assetto Corsa
Well, a screenshot is not really going to tell you how anything looks in a particular VR HMD.

That said, I took a screenshot of The Solus Project with relatively high supersampling a while ago:
2016-12-04-pm_07_50_3g4suv.jpg

And yes, you can actually discern those individual rocks in the distance.

moniker

I saw this post from the developer of Thunderbird: The Legend Begins:

InnervisionVR said:
These short ~15-minute episodes that we will be releasing on Steam are actually formatted for commercial arcade venues that require a more limited time format. An experience like this runs about $5 at an arcade and so we are charging a slight premium for owning a personal copy for in-home use. Our current plan is to release at least another 3 episodes as part of this series.

Which is shame, I was hoping it'd some meat to it.

I understand that content will be comparatively expensive this early in the VR game since the market is small, but €6 for 15 minutes is really pushing.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Well, a screenshot is not really going to tell you how anything looks in a particular VR HMD.

That said, I took a screenshot of The Solus Project with relatively high supersampling a while ago:
2016-12-04-pm_07_50_3g4suv.jpg

And yes, you can actually discern those individual rocks in the distance.

That looks pretty damn good. Heres one with PSVR with SS @ 1

http://i.imgur.com/GedveEp.jpg

It looks and plays abysmal. Later on, I found the supersampling tweak and it improved ALOT. Still, nothing like your picture.

Thank you

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
the demo is fine but the bread and butter of the game are the levels on the workshop that players have made download all the 5 star rated levels they are so good

This will at least give me an idea of how it controls. If it's just cartoon The Climb, then I will likely pass on buying it.

Tonza

I ended up keeping the Vive as I have been enjoying Sairento, Space Pirate Trainer and the Racket: NX demo (the handling is amazing in this) a lot.

Now I probably should get some more complete experiences. Been eyeing Arizona Sunshine, AudioShield, Raw Data, Cosmic Trip and The Gallery. I was thinking of going with ReVive for Superhot VR but I think I will wait for the Steam release. John Wick was interesting because it's from Starbreeze but it has pretty bad reviews on Steam.

Durante

I ended up keeping the Vive as I have been enjoying Sairento, Space Pirate Trainer and the Racket: NX demo (the handling is amazing in this) a lot.

Now I probably should get some more complete experiences. Been eyeing Arizona Sunshine, AudioShield, Raw Data, Cosmic Trip and The Gallery. I was thinking of going with ReVive for Superhot VR but I think I will wait for the Steam release. John Wick was interesting because it's from Starbreeze but it has pretty bad reviews on Steam.
The Gallery is a bit short for its price, though what is there is polished. Raw Data is my favourite action game in VR, while AS has the advantage of being complete.

SomTervo

This will at least give me an idea of how it controls. If it's just cartoon The Climb, then I will likely pass on buying it.

Read my post again:

The controls might not be for you but it couldn't be more unlike The Climb. The only similarity is you'll scaling surfaces, but Climbey has loads more going on around that. Jumping, moving surfaces, arm-swinging loco.

Wise to try the demo first, anyway.

You can't go wrong with Arizona Sunshine and Raw Data.

I also recommend Minecraft (aka Vivecraft) which is practically a killer app and The Solus Project, which is probably the "biggest" game for the Vive. No combat though and it was originally developed non-VR so the VR interface is a bit clunky.

Tain

Raw Data is going to rule.

Space Pirate Trainer with bosses and environment changes would be amazing, but idk how long it'll take the devs to get there.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Read my post again:

The controls might not be for you but it couldn't be more unlike The Climb. The only similarity is you'll scaling surfaces, but Climbey has loads more going on around that. Jumping, moving surfaces, arm-swinging loco.

Wise to try the demo first, anyway.

Yes, I intend to try the demo to suss out how I feel about the controls. That was the point of my post, which was in reply to someone telling me not to judge the game by the demo because there are more levels in the full game.

Compsiox

Banned
Yes, I intend to try the demo to suss out how I feel about the controls. That was the point of my post, which was in reply to someone telling me not to judge the game by the demo because there are more levels in the full game.

If you don't like it then my mom's name is Bob.

That Rec Room quest update is awesome! Although it's suuuuuper hard, me and a team made it to a lava room but the enemies glitched out and we couldn't progress farther sadly.

Also bought Climbey, had like 6 dollars from selling steam trading cards so I figured why not. It's good, surprised how I never feel iffy at all playing it. Though I'll need to play it more when I bring my setup back out to my living room, I've had a few close calls with this game in my room lol

Still need to buy Racket NX, loved that demo a lot.

Bought Kingspray https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVQtIoLztJM.

Pretty cool, what I don't understand yet is the saving and how to delete a save... didn't find any options for deleting saves and saving your artwork always creates a new slot and I can't really chose where to save.

The train area (the one at night) was too dark, couldn't see anything and the train was too high to spray. When I first loaded this setting I heard a glass shattering noise. There was a floodlight behind me on the traintracks, I assume that would be used to illuminate the scene lol

This game also needs a virtual ladder, I'm nearly touching the ceiling in my room when trying to spray higher up.

I kept hearing about Climbey but I thought it was just like The Climb so I never even looked at it. Hearing it's a cartoony platformer thing has me a LOT more interested. I'll have to check it out soon!

Tain

It doesn't need art. It makes the level building very practical.

Although I'd like to see more gadgets like the trampoline and zipline.

It's shallow, but I can't get over it. At least you can add custom skyboxes and I heard an actual art pass is on the roadmap.

I don't think there's anything shallow about wanting aesthetic variety beyond a core simple map builder set.

Climbey's mechanics are pretty interesting but it seems kinda goofy that there's no cap on how high you can "jump" off the ground. Or maybe there is and I'm not hitting it, lol.

Zalusithix

I don't think there's anything shallow about wanting aesthetic variety beyond a core simple map builder set.

Climbey's mechanics are pretty interesting but it seems kinda goofy that there's no cap on how high you can "jump" off the ground. Or maybe there is and I'm not hitting it, lol.

There's a limit. It's super human in distance, but there's certainly a limit unless something is broken in a recent build. A realistic jump height/distance wouldn't really fit in with the level design anyhow.

I finally got around to replacing the main wire with the newer 3 in 1 when I saw that it was in stock at Amazon and it's made a way bigger difference than I had expected. If anyone is on the fence about getting it you absolutely should.

Organ Quarter News

I downloaded the demo a while back and haven't gotten around to it, but I'll make sure to give it a try next time I play some VR. Would you say there are alot of jump scares? I can't handle that in VR and I get the impression from the trailer you linked that the game seems to be more existential dread and fear of not knowing what will be waiting for you around any corner, that's something I can definitely get behind :D so hopefully it is the case.

I finally got around to replacing the main wire with the newer 3 in 1 when I saw that it was in stock at Amazon and it's made a way bigger difference than I had expected. If anyone is on the fence about getting it you absolutely should.

I've heard that it has more of a "memory" of being twisted and thus can be harder to straighten back out, have you found this to be the case?

I've heard that it has more of a "memory" of being twisted and thus can be harder to straighten back out, have you found this to be the case?

For sure, I try to leave the cable as straight as possible when I'm done with it to try to minimize that. When it comes to being able to move around in roomscale however, the trade off is definitely worth it for me. I find myself more able to dodge projectiles in Games like Holopoint and Serious Sam The Last Hope which made me realize how much I used to just stand around before this. Even seated experiences are a bit more comfortable than they were with the old wire.

For sure, I try to leave the cable as straight as possible when I'm done with it to try to minimize that. When it comes to being able to move around in roomscale however, the trade off is definitely worth it for me. I find myself more able to dodge projectiles in Games like Holopoint and Serious Sam The Last Hope which made me realize how much I used to just stand around before this. Even seated experiences are a bit more comfortable than they were with the old wire.

What about the cable makes moving around easier? Is it just lighter?

I kind of want to get it, but I haven't personally had any problems with the old cable since I purchased a ten foot extension cord (so no matter how twisted it gets, I always have enough slack)

Wireless is around the corner. I can live with my ribbon style cable cable until then.

I'm still in an "I'll believe it when I see it" state of mind when it comes to wireless. And by see it, I mean when it gets released and reviewers and members of the public have the ability to set it up in their own spaces.

I know we've had a couple of positive initial impressions, but that's in a tightly controlled environment. The simple physical hurdles involved—the amount of bandwidth necessary, the low latency required, and the amount of processing power needed for fast compression—just make it hard for me to believe.

Zalusithix

I'm still in an "I'll believe it when I see it" state of mind when it comes to wireless. And by see it, I mean when it gets released and reviewers and members of the public have the ability to set it up in their own spaces.

I know we've had a couple of positive initial impressions, but that's in a tightly controlled environment. The simple physical hurdles involved—the amount of bandwidth necessary, the low latency required, and the amount of processing power needed for fast compression—just make it hard for me to believe.

There is no compression. They're using 60Ghz transmission which has enough bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI. So all you have is latency and robustness. Tested did enough testing on that to satisfy me.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

there is its around 30-40 feet lets me get my spiderman on

What about the cable makes moving around easier? Is it just lighter?

I kind of want to get it, but I haven't personally had any problems with the old cable since I purchased a ten foot extension cord (so no matter how twisted it gets, I always have enough slack)

I'm not sure if it's the right word to describe it, but I guess it could be considered to be more flexible. The cable moves more easily when I do so I don't find myself becoming aware of it as often because it sort of goes where I do. I didn't find myself getting tangled up too often with the original cable but I would notice a sort of resistance sometimes that could have been due to the weight of the cable pulling on the headset at rare times.

There is no compression. They're using 60Ghz transmission which has enough bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI. So all you have is latency and robustness. Tested did enough testing on that to satisfy me.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but is there any possibility that transmitting something like that inches away from your head could have any negative health effects? I'm assuming it could be like most wireless signals that it doesn't matter at all but I figure its worth asking :)

Zalusithix

Sorry if this sound stupid, but is there any possibility that transmitting something like that inches away from your head could have any negative health effects? I'm assuming it could be like most wireless signals that it doesn't matter at all but I figure its worth asking :)
Non ionizing radiation, so no risk of cancer. Meanwhile the energy is too low to produce any meaningful heating via the waves themselves. The only heat to your head is going to come from the circuitry in the device as direct thermal radiation.

Anything capable of harmful levels of electromagnetic radiation wouldn't clear the FCC for sale.

SimplexPL

I was hyped for the new cable - my friend's vive broke 2,5 weeks after he bought it (blue vertical line on the screen - he's been waiting for almost a month to get it replaced, still waiting) so I was able to use his cable for a few days. Maybe I expected too much, but honestly it did not blew me away and it also kinked a lot more than the old cable, so I actually became de-hyped and I am happy with my current cable. YMMV.

Durante

I was planning to get the new cable until all the positive TPCAST impressions started rolling in. I'm still skeptical -- I just have this deep-seated distrust of wireless technology for anything with stringent latency or bandwidth requirements, and VR has both -- but if release impressions hold up I'll get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom