• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headset mount rEvolve is closing in on finishing it's kickstarter, seems to be funded without a problem. Too bad they couldn't get any prototypes out to reviewers before the kickstarter ended though, I'd have spend some money on it if I could've gotten some impressions from the likes of Tested.

I managed to snag an early bird slot so I'll report back on how it is. The flip function alone seems pretty worth it since I want to try to get in to making VR games. I'm going to get the Deluxe Strap too so I'll compare comfort levels.

Plasma

Banned
I do want to get a Vive but I'm going to wait for a full VR game on par with RE:VII before jumping in.

Anyone have any idea when Fallout 4 or DOOM for vive is going to be released?
All they've said for Fallout is that it will be by the end of June.

I managed to snag an early bird slot so I'll report back on how it is. The flip function alone seems pretty worth it since I want to try to get in to making VR games. I'm going to get the Deluxe Strap too so I'll compare comfort levels.

I snagged an early bird slot too...and I think it was because of your post here, so cheers! I'm really looking forward to this thing because I find the Vive super uncomfortable.

I do want to get a Vive but I'm going to wait for a full VR game on par with RE:VII before jumping in.

Anyone have any idea when Fallout 4 or DOOM for vive is going to be released?

I think it was said VR mode for RE7 is exclusive to PS4 for a year before it comes to the PC version, so it'll be around this time next year :p

Not sure we really ever got times for DOOM or Fallout 4 other than 2017

Doom VR isn't even a sure thing that they've ever committed to. That said, I'm optimistic they'll put it out.

If they start cranking out AAA games like Doom in VR, headsets are going to start selling like hotcakes. You'd think there would be more incentive for developers to do that to get a leg up on competition/strike deals with the hardware companies. Couldn't it be similar to console bundles?

If they start cranking out AAA games like Doom in VR, headsets are going to start selling like hotcakes. You'd think there would be more incentive for developers to do that to get a leg up on competition/strike deals with the hardware companies. Couldn't it be similar to console bundles?

Well I mean, that's basically what Oculus and Sony's strategy has been isn't it?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Serious Sam TSE, Serious Sam 3 and The Talos Principle will be made into VR according to announcement

zeioIIDX

I wonder if this has been brought up before but...I was experiencing The Blu earlier today and when the jellyfish appeared, I noticed I can bump and push them with my hands and you get that little haptic feedback in the controllers. Well...I then tried to bump them with my head/face knowing full well it wouldn't work.

But then this idea hit me: wouldn't it be cool if they could incorporate a haptic feedback rumble within the headset itself? I thought that'd be the coolest thing to be able to bump my head into a jellyfish underwater and actually feel the sensation of it by having my headset rumble a bit. That could be used for soooo many things.

I suppose it would have to be a rather weak rumble though because you don't want it making the screen jitter. If that's the case though, they could incorporate the rumble into the band on top or around the sides rather than the actual headset.

Melon Husk

Is it possible to watch 3d Blu rays on the vive?

https://www.tchapin.com/how-to-watc...s-rift-without-having-to-re-encode-the-movie/

It's a loooot of work, but can be done

Horror games have such tremendous potential in VR. Backed that, sounds like it could be good!

There's a Penumbra mod out there... I noped out pretty quickly and I've completed it twice. Shame the movement is Onward-style, Climbey's hand swinging isn't as nauseating in closed spaces.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the climbing update for Vivecraft:
http://www.vivecraft.org/climbeymotionupdate/
http://www.vivecraft.org/climbeymotion/
Jump boots and climb claws!

SomTervo

There's a Penumbra mod out there... I noped out pretty quickly and I've completed it twice. Shame the movement is Onward-style, Climbey's hand swinging isn't as nauseating in closed spaces.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the climbing update for Vivecraft:
http://www.vivecraft.org/climbeymotionupdate/
http://www.vivecraft.org/climbeymotion/
Jump boots and climb claws!

We're committed to moving away from the Onward-style binary movement button for the full Organ Quarter release. Like we'll probably have the option but we don't want to prioritise it.

We are actually big fans of Climbey's approach. It's an exciting time!

Ooh excited to try the Vivecraft climbey motion!

Zalusithix

That's completely inconceivable to me. I mean, I've never heard of anyone getting sick in The Lab. Either there is something wrong with your setup or ou have a rather rare physiology :/

Assuming everything is set up correctly, I'm going with it being a reaction to the restricted FoV that the HMD imposes.

Zalusithix

Is that a thing? Generally reduced FoV decreases nausea in VR.

If they're getting nausea in The Lab where you're never moving, I think it's safe to assume they're suffering from something different than what normal people have problems with in VR. I wouldn't be surprised if reduced FoV could trigger something akin to claustrophobia in some people.

Paganmoon

Nausea in The Lab could be either just eye fatigue, or that you're getting framedrops I suppose. Dropping frames, or any kind of stuttering will affect you, no matter the game.

GlamFM

Banned
Think I´m about ready to sell my VIVE.

The only thing I do with it these days is showing it to other people who have never done it before.

I´ll probably be back for Gen2 or 3.

Feel like I jumped in too early.

SomTervo

The only thing I do with it these days is showing it to other people who have never done it before.

The only thing pulling me back in consistently is games with really good shooting mechanics. Arizona Sunshine, Raw Data, VR zGame, Hover Junkers.

Every couple of days I get an urge for good shooting and just HAVE to boot one of those up.

Also some co-op stuff (both local and online) are pulling me back in.

Zalusithix

The only thing pulling me back in consistently is games with really good shooting mechanics. Arizona Sunshine, Raw Data, VR zGame, Hover Junkers.

VR is king of control finesse. After playing something like GR2 where I feel like I'm constantly fighting with the controller to do what I want, jumping to the fine grained intuitive control of VR is great. Look exactly where I want, aim exactly where I want, interact with exactly what I want. It still has its limits, but the reduction in control abstraction is so liberating.

VR is king of control finesse. After playing something like GR2 where I feel like I'm constantly fighting with the controller to do what I want, jumping to the fine grained intuitive control of VR is great. Look exactly where I want, aim exactly where I want, interact with exactly what I want. It still has its limits, but the reduction in control abstraction is so liberating.

Hell it's super fun just reloading in some stuff lol Especially in something like Hot dogs Horseshoes and Hand grenades. That's a feeling you won't get with Non-VR games really.

This guy on Reddit (yeah I know how the beginning of this sentence sounds lol) says he apparently got some further details on the Deluxe Strap and TPCast from an HTC rep.

• He told me that the audio strap would be available for preorder in both Germany and the US beginning mid-March, with deliveries in April and a global launch at the same time.
  • Regarding TPCast, he told me that it would also be 'sold' (literal quote) in April with the caveat that only the preorder option for the US was confirmed for now.
  • When I asked him if that meant a later availability for Germany he replied that this depended on the amount of preorders as well as units produced and that his personal guesstimate would be May for Germany.

So yeah. From Reddit by way of HTC rep so take with a grain of salt, but no crazy claims in there.

SomTervo

Hey, if you're talking about horror, on the last page I posted about Organ Quarter (which I'm helping with). Will be out in the next few months. We're trying to hit the best bits of Resi and Silent Hill with a more body-horror twist. Also aiming to leverage the Vive's roomscale and hand-tracked stylings. There's a half-our demo for it just now but obviously you don't want to buy a whole system for a demo. We're also crunching away at a Kickstarter - which is doing pretty well! $1,739 of our $6,500 goal. I think at least one person pledged directly from NeoGAF – thanks whoever you are! (Probably MiamiWesker ;) )

That said, A Chair In A Room and the Solus Project are the longest experiences I've played. Some people have like 100+ hours in Solus, it's insane.

PS I still have no idea how they're going to get DOOM working in VR. That game's all about the super crazy mobility

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I'm debating on selling my Rift & Touch. While my Vive use has dropped, my Rift use is non-existent.

deadfolk

PS I still have no idea how they're going to get DOOM working in VR. That game's all about the super crazy mobility

Unless there was another statement I didn't see (very possible), the Doom VR experience was only ever going to be a cut-down experience - not the full game.

SomTervo

Unless there was another statement I didn't see (very possible), the Doom VR experience was only ever going to be a cut-down experience - not the full game.

That's the only way I could picture it working, especially considering that's how they squeezed in co-op on the Xbox Doom 3 release. They've done this before.

They updated it since and showed it off at an event or two. What was shown was apparently more or less the recent Doom in VR with teleportation (that I think incorporated some kind of slow down mechanic). Impressions seemed pretty damn positive and confident it would work as a whole game. So you're right in that they still haven't committed to releasing it commercially, but the fact that they've been updating it pretty extensively (the first demo was more or less a glorified asset gallery from my understanding) leads me to believe it's a pretty big possibility.

That's the only way I could picture it working, especially considering that's how they squeezed in co-op on the Xbox Doom 3 release. They've done this before.

There was an updated demo of it given awhile back, apparently movement is a dash but when you're dashing time slows down

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/04/quakecon-2016-movement-takes-doom-vr-to-a-new-level

Unlike Fallout 4 if DOOM VR does come out it's definitely looking like a separate thing compared to regular DOOM. It'll probably be like SuperHot vs SuperHot VR.

dsk1210

I can highly recommend Knockout League.

Only played about an hour but it's high level of polish and it's Punch out gameplay is spot on.

My body is sore after playing it though, it's a really great work out and feels really satisfying.

It's still in early access and only has a tutorial and 4 fighters but it is worth the money just now and I can't wait till the game has the full complement of fighters and extras. Awesome.

Can windows cause tracking issues? I know mirrors are a thing, but I don't have any of those.

Tracking tends to get screwed up in one section of my apartment, but only sometimes (and annoyingly, it always seems to happen when I'm playing games as opposed to testing). It suddenly occurred to me just now that this seems to happen at more at night, and the area where it happens is right by my windows...

Edit: The obvious thing to do would be to close my blinds, but I don't have any in my new(ish) apartment yet, and they're expensive.

Can windows cause tracking issues? I know mirrors are a thing, but I don't have any of those.

Tracking tends to get screwed up in one section of my apartment, but only sometimes (and annoyingly, it always seems to happen when I'm playing games as opposed to testing). It suddenly occurred to me just now that this seems to happen at more at night, and the area where it happens is right by my windows...

Edit: The obvious thing to do would be to close my blinds, but I don't have any in my new(ish) apartment yet, and they're expensive.
How many, and how large are the windows? Short answer is yes, windows can cause issues.

atom519

Rec Room quest update is out, and really really fun. I totally love how it looks and feels like a Nintendo Land game.

FYI - friendly fire is enabled by default!

Rec Room quest update is out, and really really fun. I totally love how it looks and feels like a Nintendo Land game.

FYI - friendly fire is enabled by default!

Holy shit I didn't even know this was coming and just read what's in the update, wow.

How is this game still free with no micro transactions?!? Rec Room Devs doing some amazing work

Just messaged a bloke to buy one second hand, apparently only been used twice. If it all looks good I may just jump in! Kind of come out of nowhere but I've been staring through the window for a little while now.

Edit : bought it. Sorry wallet. Ready to have my mind blown all over the room.

moniker

Oh wow, that came out of nowhere.

A video of this is one of the things that initially sold me on room-scale VR, so I'm curious to see how it turned out.

Yeah, I remember reading about this from way back, before Vive was released.

Steam page said:
Awarded the Best VR Experience of 2016 at the first Unity AR/VR Vision Summit, this short introductory experience contains approximately 15 minutes of high-quality, puzzle-based, interactive gameplay that showcases the power of true room-scale VR.

On the one-year anniversary of the Unity Vision Summit Awards, we are proud to make this Home Edition of The Legend Begins available to everyone!

Well that explains the price. It's the old 15 minutes demo released on steam (with some polish maybe?).

SomTervo

They just got a 5 million dollar investment

wellthereitis.gif

There was an updated demo of it given awhile back, apparently movement is a dash but when you're dashing time slows down

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/04/quakecon-2016-movement-takes-doom-vr-to-a-new-level

Unlike Fallout 4 if DOOM VR does come out it's definitely looking like a separate thing compared to regular DOOM. It'll probably be like SuperHot vs SuperHot VR.

So it's a slow motion dash? Won't that turn you into a vomit comet? Edit: Ah, so the slow motion is when you hold the 'teleport' button. That's a great idea. Sairento does a similar thing.

I'm mainly stoked for Fallout 4 VR TBH. Frankly I find all of Bethesda's in-house games really dull, but it's one of those situations where VR would elevate their games to being must-plays just because of presence. Similarly how I feel about No Man's Sky – on monitor = eh; but in VR would = "holy cow"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom