• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

I finally got around to replacing the main wire with the newer 3 in 1 when I saw that it was in stock at Amazon and it's made a way bigger difference than I had expected. If anyone is on the fence about getting it you absolutely should.

I downloaded the demo a while back and haven't gotten around to it, but I'll make sure to give it a try next time I play some VR. Would you say there are alot of jump scares? I can't handle that in VR and I get the impression from the trailer you linked that the game seems to be more existential dread and fear of not knowing what will be waiting for you around any corner, that's something I can definitely get behind :D so hopefully it is the case.

Oh thanks for the message!

Not a single jump scare.

... Okay there's one. But that's literally it and it's telegraphed and not dangerous.

We really don't believe in jump scares. The enemies roam around the levels pretty much however they want so it's more of a creepy "is there something in that room" rather than big horrible surprises. It's definitely more of a dread thing.

If you like it make sure to pledge on the KS and share it around

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949177640/organ-quarter-classic-survival-horror-adventure-ga

Okay guys, I've got a new apartment, with a soon to be dedicated VR living room, and I need about 50 or 40 feet (measured distance is 37') of HDMI cable and usb cable to do it.
What should I get?

Okay, I don't know what happened but all of the sudden my Vive earbuds keep shocking me whenever I try to move in the Vive. It hurts!

Anything I can try?

Edit: Fixed the problem by taking off my socks, lol. Although I'm mildly concerned now because I did a Google search, and some people on Reddit said shocks indicated bad things were happening to my headset.

SomTervo

Okay, I don't know what happened but all of the sudden my Vive earbuds keep shocking me whenever I try to move in the Vive. It hurts!

Anything I can try?

Edit: Fixed the problem by taking off my shoes, lol. Although I'm mildly concerned now because I did a Google search, and some people on Reddit said shocks indicated bad things were happening to my headset.

Shocks at any time or place sound like a bad ting! Maybe contact customer support

Donos

So this arrived today (i won it) but i made up my mind and are not going to try/keep it. So i'm selling it for 150 € less then the lowest price new (899 €). It's still unopened.
If you are in germany (or better in Berlin) and interested, PM me (member with at least 1000 posts).

Gl9S74S.jpg

Owari

Man, no matter what I try my lighthouses won't auto power off. One of them has already burned out and been replaced, too. So annoying.

Paganmoon

I don't know if this has been posted, but there is now a full video of the Valve VR team interview (tidbits of which were reported in various articles before) available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMpQWSqQFK0

Well worth watching if you're interested in the current and future VR direction at Valve.

Thanks for the link!.

Right off the bat, Gabe pretty much confirmed they're designing and manufacturing the new SteamVR controllers, right? I didn't missinterprate that, did I?

Paganmoon

More regarding the Valve interview. I'm not sure if they were just trying to be as, uhm, diplomatic as possible when talking about the new lighthouse. But they mentioned it's available to their licensees, as in plural, making me think, we might actually start seeing many more manufacturers jump on the SteamVR Hardware train soon(ish)?

Also, quite a few quips at "other companies wanting a walled garden", think there were at least 3 very pointed comments about Oculus, without mentioning Oculus.

Man I could spend hours hearing these people talk about VR.

Defcon (Introversion) VR Spectator Client

Apparently they're considering making a full blown verison of Defcon in VR if there's enough interest.

Spectator view is a pretty cool addition I'd like to see in more games really. I mean, I never got into watching people stream their games, or watching E-sports, but with VR, I've spent a bit of time watching DOTA2 games (and I haven't ever played the game myself). Would be cool to catch CS games in VR-spectate just teleporting around the map.

Man, no matter what I try my lighthouses won't auto power off. One of them has already burned out and been replaced, too. So annoying.

If it makes you feel any better, I've never gotten this to work on my lighthouses either. Have surrendered to just manually unplugging them when I'm done.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Neverout VR is getting ported Gear VR to Vive and Rift

SteamHammerVR has a new update that adds a new sewer mission

Special Delivery VR gets VirZoom and gamepad support on Steam now

zeioIIDX

I didn't even realise they'd finally added Vive controller support to the game, but that looked astounding. 54 modules in 20 minutes? Damnnnn.

Yo, Vive controller support for this game now?! I have been putting off playing it because I didn't wanna use an Xbox controller but now I'm definitely messing with this.

Zalusithix

More regarding the Valve interview. I'm not sure if they were just trying to be as, uhm, diplomatic as possible when talking about the new lighthouse. But they mentioned it's available to their licensees, as in plural, making me think, we might actually start seeing many more manufacturers jump on the SteamVR Hardware train soon(ish)?

That was always the plan. Lighthouse tracking is free for any company to license. HTC and the Vive is just ground zero. There will eventually be non-Vive headsets using lighthouse tracking, and there will likely be lighthouses and controllers available for purchase directly from Valve in addition to any other major company that produces a headset.

Hey Zalusithix, how are you so knowledgable about VR tech? Have you just been following this stuff for a long time? Do you work in the industry?

Zalusithix

Hey Zalusithix, how are you so knowledgable about VR tech? Have you just been following this stuff for a long time? Do you work in the industry?

I'm just an enthusiast that's been following VR for some time, though not as long as some others here. I only really started paying close attention as the current gen neared its consumer debut and then backtracked with research. My knowledge is a combination of reading articles on the topic (including various research papers), watching videos of knowledgeable people speak on the matter (like Valve's VR GDC panels), and tinkering on my own. In the PCVR space, there's nothing stopping anybody from looking at the VR APIs or writing programs to interface with them. Granted the last part takes some programming knowledge, but that is also freely obtainable by those with the drive to do so.

I mean, I'm hardly the only person knowledgeable about VR here on GAF, or even the most knowledgeable. I'm just one of the more prolific posters right now. Durante's combined knowledge of VR and game engines for instance puts him above my general knowledge threshold. Doc-Ok is technically here somewhere on GAF and has way more experience with the internal workings of the VR headsets. Then there's devs that have made full VR games who'd have greater insight into the actual development aspect.

So while I tend to speak with confidence in what I say, I'm hardly an absolute unquestionable source of information.

Edit: Though I have to say that working in the VR industry these days would be fascinating.

Tain

I don't know if this has been posted, but there is now a full video of the Valve VR team interview (tidbits of which were reported in various articles before) available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMpQWSqQFK0

Well worth watching if you're interested in the current and future VR direction at Valve.

Very cool. And I'm really excited that Gabe emphasized that the upcoming three VR games are "full games" that they plan on selling.

Owari

If it makes you feel any better, I've never gotten this to work on my lighthouses either. Have surrendered to just manually unplugging them when I'm done.
Ugh. I guess I'll just have to put them on a switch somehow

Every time I see them just lit all day I'm like fuck it's gonna burn out again

Paganmoon

That was always the plan. Lighthouse tracking is free for any company to license. HTC and the Vive is just ground zero. There will eventually be non-Vive headsets using lighthouse tracking, and there will likely be lighthouses and controllers available for purchase directly from Valve in addition to any other major company that produces a headset.

Yeah, I know it was the plan, but I mean, it seems there are others ready to launch products, soon(ish), considering they way the formulated it. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Zalusithix

Halfway through the video Gabe gets up to get a water and comes back huffing and puffing.

He really needs to get in shape.
I'm not sure if there's any medical reason for his weight, but yeah his health would certainly improve by losing a good chunk of it. Heck, he'd be the perfect candidate for a VR weight loss advertisement. Lose weight, get in shape, and advertise a product his company makes money from in one fell swoop.

Yeah, I know it was the plan, but I mean, it seems there are others ready to launch products, soon(ish), considering they way the formulated it. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Who knows. Valve isn't going to steal the thunder of any licensee by announcing something before the licensee does. It's closing in on a year now though, so I'm assuming we'll be seeing more headsets/devices sooner than later. I just hope they're not cheap garbage, or at least not all of them.

Durante

Who knows. Valve isn't going to steal the thunder of any licensee by announcing something before the licensee does. It's closing in on a year now though, so I'm assuming we'll be seeing more headsets/devices sooner than later. I just hope they're not cheap garbage, or at least not all of them.
I hope that ideally some are cheap (and not completely garbage), and that some are expensive enthusiast things the mere existence of which will make some people mad.

Salamande

Ugh. I guess I'll just have to put them on a switch somehow

Every time I see them just lit all day I'm like fuck it's gonna burn out again

There was a time when I could get my lighthouses to turn off with Bluetooth, but I think one SteamVR update or another broke it and I could never get it working again.

Once nice thing is that you only need to cut the power to your B lighthouse (for a B+C config). The other lighthouse will go on standby automatically when it can't see the signal from the primary.

moniker

There was a time when I could get my lighthouses to turn off with Bluetooth, but I think one SteamVR update or another broke it and I could never get it working again.

This happened to me with the last SteamVR update, but it was fixed by reinstalling the Bluetooth driver.

New patch for Serious Sam VR: TFE

Croteam adds Linux VR support before Valve even releases it. These guys are fucking killing it.
We've been stuck in the basement for more than a month trying to fix all the problems you've reported and implement new features you've asked for. Finally, we present you an update with the following major changes:
Added achievements!
All 26 achievements are now available for unlocking, most are new (i.e. not same as in TFE HD).
Localization now works.
Languages that were supported for TFE HD are now available.
Some newer texts (like new menu options) are not yet translated.
VR is now supported on Linux!
Vulkan API supported and recommended for VR.
This is waiting for updated SteamVR for Linux to be released. Once that is out, we will enable the Linux download for all owners.
Note that this whole system is very early, and there might be problems with stability and performance
Major improvements in teleporting and locomotion:
Exiting water is easy now.
Implemented "blink" teleport mode for VR.
VR control options (choosing between continuous, telporting, etc) are simplified. Details still configurable under Advanced Controls submenu.
Completely new system for VR teleportation while swimming/diving so it moves in a shown direction, not to a point.
Added an option to disable VR teleport jumping.
VR teleport jumping now requires a larger angle to initiate.
Versus multiplayer servers can now force all players to use locomotion (i.e. forbid teleporting). Players are warned when joining such a server, to prevent unexpected motion sickness.
Kbd+Mouse and Gamepad playing
It is now possible to play the game out-of-the-box without tracked controllers (ie. with just a headset and keyboard+mouse, or gamepad). No custom adjustments needed.
Removed vr_bVRHeadsetGameplay, as this is now automatic.
Made it easier to use keyboard, mouse or gamepad to navigate the menus when in VR.
As well as various other smaller changes and fixes:
Fixed some crashes when toggling VR SLI.
Emulated VR now uses cvar vr_bEmulatedVRControllers to determine input handling.
Changed highlighting of switches so that players can easily see switches in VR, yet far away secrets are not revealed.
Game's ini file renamed in preparation for Fusion.
Fixed some sounds not playing correctly when OpenAL is used as internal sound device.
Left hand weapon is no longer mirrored, so eventual texts on it will not look inverted.
In-game TFE Ending credits are now visible in VR.
Fixed randomly garbled text on "are you sure you want to exit" dialog
and related crashes.
Fixes and optimizations for OpenGL in VR.
Fixed inventory being lost when loading savegame that was saved at the start of level.
Screen areas not visible due to HMD lens distortion are now masked and don't render, yielding better performance
Karnak Temple level didn't support some playing modes.
Fixed the "playing time" being reset after loading a savegame.
Fixed some bigger enemies not being able to climb stairs and other obstacles.
Fixed darker display on right eye when using RiftCat on some devices.
Fixed switches not working correctly in multiplayer in some cases.
Fixed sounds, muzzleflashes etc on some weapons not playing in some cases.
Fixed SS1 key items displaying +1 when picked up.
Fixed incorrect HUD text when picking up a weapon for the first time.
Fixed exiting water, jumping and various other movement problems in VR.
Fixed some enemies having wrong reaction times, especially on crossover between melee and shooting range.
Mixed Reality now supports portrait camera mode. This makes it easier to fit a human actor inside the frame.
Fixed various smaller gameplay an visual issues in the levels.
Playerlist can now be invoked in VR multiplayer.
Some menu buttons in some menus were clipped. Fixed. (Most notably in Mixed Reality Wizard, Credits menu, etc)
As always, if you are finding this update to have problems, you can roll back to the old version using the "previousversion" beta.

Owari

Once nice thing is that you only need to cut the power to your B lighthouse (for a B+C config). The other lighthouse will go on standby automatically when it can't see the signal from the primary.
Didn't know that!! That makes it way easy to just put one on a switch. Nice.

I have the Bluetooth connection to my lighthouses working perfectly fine using a Sitecom Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle, made by Cambridge Silicon Radio. At work they work fine with the on-board Bluetooth controller of a mini-ATX Asus motherboard.

EDIT: This is on Windows 10 using the beta version of SteamVR, though it worked fine with the non-beta version as well.

Another advantage of the Bluetooth connection is that you can update the firmware of the lighthouses wirelessly.

BTW: Zaccaria Pinball looks really cool in VR.

I have the Bluetooth connection to my lighthouses working perfectly fine using a Sitecom Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle, made by Cambridge Silicon Radio. At work they work fine with the on-board Bluetooth controller of a mini-ATX Asus motherboard.

I'm pretty sure they connect via a Bluetooth chip in the Vive (or is it the Linkbox?), the your computer's Bluetooth.

I'm pretty sure they connect via a Bluetooth chip in the Vive (or is it the Linkbox?), the your computer's Bluetooth.

I don't know if they connect directly or through the other Vive components, but you do need to have a Bluetooth dongle or controller on your PC for the lighthouses to turn off and on by themselves. They turn on when starting SteamVR and shut down when closing it.

In the SteamVR settings you need to tell it to install the bluetooth drivers. With the older non-beta SteamVR I had to reinstall those a few times a month, haven't had to do that in months now.

Well, I now have a 4m by 4m space for VR. It's nice and huge, but I don't have any real internet at my new place yet to take advantage of it yet. Durn. :/

Zalusithix

I don't know if they connect directly or through the other Vive components, but you do need to have a Bluetooth dongle or controller on your PC for the lighthouses to turn off and on by themselves. They turn on when starting SteamVR and shut down when closing it.

In the SteamVR settings you need to tell it to install the bluetooth drivers. With the older non-beta SteamVR I had to reinstall those a few times a month, haven't had to do that in months now.

This is false - at least in the implication that you need something other than the Vive itself. The Vive has its own BT communication hardware built in, and the drivers SteamVR installs are for said hardware (BCM20703 Bluetooth 4.1 USB Device in Device Manager). You do not need any third party BT adapter.

This is false - at least in the implication that you need something other than the Vive itself. The Vive has its own BT communication hardware built in, and the drivers SteamVR installs are for said hardware (BCM20703 Bluetooth 4.1 USB Device in Device Manager). You do not need any third party BT adapter.

I'll test this to see if that will work. Judging by the messages above, it might not be working too well.

Zalusithix

I'll test this to see if that will work. Judging by the messages above, it might not be working too well.

It works. I and thousands of others have been using BT enabled spin-up and spin-down of the lighthouses with no other BT dongle or built in mobo support. Some have problems with it, but they're the minority or we'd be seeing a lot more complaints. Even in your case, I'd wager the communication is happening via the Vive included BT module and not your third party one. The fact that you still have to install the drivers is rather telling considering drivers are a software bridge to specific hardware - something you wouldn't need to install if Steam was just using whatever existing BT hardware you had on your machine.

Well, I now have a 4m by 4m space for VR. It's nice and huge, but I don't have any real internet at my new place yet to take advantage of it yet. Durn. :/

Wooo, more people with larger play spaces!

Make sure to give Unseen Diplomacy a try, it's a really great example of what can be done with a bit more room. It's DRM Free so you can download at work or something and just launch it without Steam on your internet-less PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom