• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

2 gameplay videos of upcoming Japanese action rhythm title

title is "Airtone" and launching in spring for vive/rift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qssKpo8cHYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZOFhfQD-Fc&t=30s

Not showing the player's hands in the gameplay video is an odd choice. While the real life camera shows what he's doing, watching the actual gameplay just feels wrong. It looks like a regular controller game being played instead of a VR game with tracked controllers.

Any cool new environments that people are using? The most impressive one i've seen so far is still the Simpsons house one. I just wish I liked the Simpsons more.

A lot of the backgrounds are fairly disappointing. They end up looking like a fairly shoddy skybox instead of being in an actual place. The Mirror's Edge and Rocket League ones come to mind as an example, there's just something off about them.

Zalusithix

Any cool new environments that people are using? The most impressive one i've seen so far is still the Simpsons house one. I just wish I liked the Simpsons more.

A lot of the backgrounds are fairly disappointing. They end up looking like a fairly shoddy skybox instead of being in an actual place. The Mirror's Edge and Rocket League ones come to mind as an example, there's just something off about them.

Bah, environments are overrated. Grey room for life! Actually feels more futuristic to me. Reality gets torn down, replaced with a huge blank environment and then a new environment constructed when you start up a game.

Tain

2 gameplay videos of upcoming Japanese action rhythm title

title is "Airtone" and launching in spring for vive/rift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qssKpo8cHYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZOFhfQD-Fc&t=30s

This does look rad, huh. I might try this!

One of the rhythm game ideas I had was a week or two back when a friend of mine and I were playing Space Channel 5. You could do a pretty dope SC5-themed VR rhythm game by having one controller be Ulala's morolian-shooting gun, another being her "rescue" gun, and having to line up and accurately shoot targets to the beat. You could also have floating volumes surrounding the player that they'd have to touch their guns to for the up-down-left-right stuff.

"What I really want to do is find or rip 3D fighting game arenas (particularly Soul Calibur), but I didn't get very far with that."

This might be possible with VF5 stages. Will report back when I get around to it.

Tain

"What I really want to do is find or rip 3D fighting game arenas (particularly Soul Calibur), but I didn't get very far with that."

This might be possible with VF5 stages. Will report back when I get around to it.

ooooooh that would be dope.

Do SteamVR environments support advanced materials? I thought it was just flat textures, which would probably be pretty weird-looking with VF5's arenas. Still, I'd love to see.

"Do SteamVR environments support advanced materials? I thought it was just flat textures, which would probably be pretty weird-looking with VF5's arenas. Still, I'd love to see."

I think the stages with dynamic snow/sand, etc. won't work (or rather, the snow/sand effect wouldn't work).

Plasma

Banned
A bit more on Fallout 4 VR here.

"The Pip-Boy is on your wrist and we've been able to present so that it works the way you expect. You look and there it is. The fact that the gunplay is a bit slower than in a lot of games has certainly helped us but we have V.A.T.S., so you can pause or slow down the world,"

"Locomotion is definitely the hard part, I will admit. Given the size of the world and the amount that you're moving in Fallout 4 that part is tricky because you're doing it a lot. Right now we're doing the teleport warp thing and that's fine, but we're experimenting with a few others."

http://www.glixel.com/news/todd-howard-talks-fallout-4-vr-vats-in-vr-is-awesome-w467763

I'm glad that with the locomotion they are going to ship with multiple options, personally I can't stomach anything other than teleport but it's good to have alternatives in there for people that can.

moniker

I'm glad that with the locomotion they are going to ship with multiple options, personally I can't stomach anything other than teleport but it's good to have alternatives in there for people that can.

I was in the teleport only camp at first, but after playing a lot of Vivecraft with artificial locomotion I'm now totally fine with it (and find it enjoyable). I can play for hours with no ill effects.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I was initially excited over the thought of 3D environments in the SteamVR home, but I just stick to the only background that I reaaally like:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=685465986

This combined with the default basic lines environment works well.

What I really want to do is find or rip 3D fighting game arenas (particularly Soul Calibur), but I didn't get very far with that.
Thanks for sharing!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
id rather not teleport with fallout it would fuck the pace of the game with how fast you can go with it rather have trackpad or swing to move

Just seen the credits in Arizona Sunshine, wasn't a big fan of the desert daylight setting tbh, hitting zombies is satisfying (gore) but I feel there is some variety missing as there is barely any challenge (on normal difficulty), traversal between towns becomes a becomes a bit by the numbers because of it, only the hordes cost me a life here and there.

The military base was my favorite location, it felt the most like a horrorgame to me there while it's more of a "fun lighthearted" zombie gore shooter in the other locations, which didn't really grab me.

I switched a lot between different locomotion systems back and forth. In the end it was the trackpad direction movement that was the most fun to me.
I like the game but there is a lot that could be improved I think.

id rather not teleport with fallout it would fuck the pace of the game with how fast you can go with it rather have trackpad or swing to move
You can limit how fast you move with teleportation, similar to how Raw Data and Vanishing Realms have a "cool down".

I too am interested in any and all info on the two upgrades, the wireless and the audio band.

Tain

I'm normally pretty concerned with teleportation mechanics and the lack of "movement resolution", so to speak. You can limit overall movement speed, but that doesn't change the moment-to-moment location delta, even with rapid blink movement.

BUT, Fallout 4 is a Bethesda game, so who cares about mechanics lol. Doom 4 will be meaningfully different, though, and I'm interested in seeing what the impact is.

UziGames2016

Neo Member
Hey all, it's great to finally be able to congregate with the great community here.

As a new VR dev I find the VR movement control debate fascinating as we await the gold standard methods. It reminds me of the early fps console days when we went through the same process.

The issue I find with teleportation is that it makes the player unwilling to move around their available space, instead it gives them the expectation that they will be able to teleport within arms length of everything.

On first release of my game I made the teleport boundaries one step away from interactive objects with this in mind hoping it would get people to walk around their room space but it didn't have the desired effect and was quickly changed!

The answers will come in time I'm sure.

Shout out to Arthands for adding Marlene to his recommendation list. Cheers!

I hope you check out my first project - Marlene Betwixt
http://store.steampowered.com/app/536530

Hey all, it's great to finally be able to congregate with the great community here.

As a new VR dev I find the VR movement control debate fascinating as we await the gold standard methods. It reminds me of the early fps console days when we went through the same process.

The issue I find with teleportation is that it makes the player unwilling to move around their available space, instead it gives them the expectation that they will be able to teleport within arms length of everything.

On first release of my game I made the teleport boundaries one step away from interactive objects with this in mind hoping it would get people to walk around their room space but it didn't have the desired effect and was quickly changed!

The answers will come in time I'm sure.

Shout out to Arthands for adding Marlene to his recommendation list. Cheers!

I hope you check out my first project - Marlene Betwixt
http://store.steampowered.com/app/536530
I think literally every locomotion method outside of pure roomscale games have the same problem. I really don't know if there's a solution to that though outside of some hybrid system that only allows you to artificially move when you reach the edge of your playspace.

UziGames2016

Neo Member
I think literally every locomotion method outside of pure roomscale games have the same problem. I really don't know if there's a solution to that though outside of some hybrid system that only allows you to artificially move when you reach the edge of your playspace.

It might be an inherent thing in 'gamers' that you move your player to an object to interact while you sit on the couch. It would be interesting to get a group of non-gamers together and see if they accepted having to move around the room space more eagerly.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
the only problem with requiring room scale is you run into that problem where the object they want you to interact with is out of your play space reach

UziGames2016

Neo Member
I don't experience it myself but it sucks for the people that do and VR as a whole. It's kind of holding back VR game design.

I don't experience it now but I remember when I first put on a DK2 and made my first lateral movement in that house demo. My first instinct was 'wow, that was weird' before 'wow, this is awesome'.
That first impression could be a game changer if a first time user decides not to entertain the thought of 'getting used to it' as they felt sick on their first attempt.

As a player I find the same issue. Teleportation and artificial movement are both the same in that regard.

In the last week I've played a few games of Space Pirate Trainer, one of my favorite games from the early days of the Vive. What I have found is that my sessions in that game are so much more rewarding than games with any artificial locomotion because I have to move around the full extent of my playspace, do squats and generally be very physically active in order to succeed at the game.

While I have had a lot of fun with other teleport/slide games like Serious Sam TFE VR, it can't really compare to the enjoyment I get from SPT. Unfortunately nobody can release a similar game in today's climate without being brigaded for being "yet another wave shooter".

And even with innovative game design, I think any game that doesn't provide Onwards-style movement will receive an unfair amount of criticism from a loud minority of VR enthusiasts. Personally I think there is a lot of potential in room scale non-artificial locomotion games and experiences that are worthy of exploring.

cakefoo

As a player I find the same issue. Teleportation and artificial movement are both the same in that regard.

In the last week I've played a few games of Space Pirate Trainer, one of my favorite games from the early days of the Vive. What I have found is that my sessions in that game are so much more rewarding than games with any artificial locomotion because I have to move around the full extent of my playspace, do squats and generally be very physically active in order to succeed at the game.

While I have had a lot of fun with other teleport/slide games like Serious Sam TFE VR, it can't really compare to the enjoyment I get from SPT. Unfortunately nobody can release a similar game in today's climate without being brigaded for being "yet another wave shooter".

And even with innovative game design, I think any game that doesn't provide Onwards-style movement will receive an unfair amount of criticism from a loud minority of VR enthusiasts. Personally I think there is a lot of potential in room scale non-artificial locomotion games and experiences that are worthy of exploring.
The demand for sliding locomotion seems very real. I think catering to that audience could be the key to accelerating VR adoption.

Unseen Diplomacy's redirected walking says hi.

Durante

Well, one of the very earliest ideas I had for locomotion in VR was doing something like tile-based dungeon crawlers, where you can only teleport between tiles but need to explore (and maybe battle) within a tile in room scale.

The problem with that is that you really need something like a 3x3 room space minimum to make it work well IMHO.

Tain

I guess I'd have to try Walkabout for myself, but while it probably is one of the few effective ways to make players fully utilize their roomscale space, it seems constantly immersion-breaking to me. Moreso than plain teleportation. I think it might work well for games where your physical space mostly but not entirely covers the VR space, but I can't imagine large environments played out like that.

I guess I'd have to try Walkabout for myself, but that seems really constantly immersion-breaking to me. I think it might work well for games where your physical space MOSTLY covers the VR space, but I can't imagine large environments played out like that.

It is imo. I imagine wireless will help a lot though since the big issue is having to spin around a bunch.

Well, one of the very earliest ideas I had for locomotion in VR was doing something like tile-based dungeon crawlers, where you can only teleport between tiles but need to explore (and maybe battle) within a tile in room scale.

The problem with that is that you really need something like a 3x3 room space minimum to make it work well IMHO.

I would freaking love this.

UziGames2016

Neo Member
This looks interesting, apologies if it's already been posted.

Freedom Locomotion by Huge Robot https://youtu.be/LiQJS8ir9sQ

I have been playing around with a similar idea for something I'm working on at the moment and scaling the environments around the size of the players room space.

My Vive controllers often shut off by themselves, even though they swear the battery is good. Have the battery packs gone faulty, or is there a known fix for this? I saw Asus AI suite can be a culprit.

moniker

My Vive controllers often shut off by themselves, even though they swear the battery is good. Have the battery packs gone faulty, or is there a known fix for this? I saw Asus AI suite can be a culprit.

There seems to be a power management bug in the latest SteamVR. Try setting "Turn off controllers" to "Never" in the power management settings. I had to do that with "Automatically exit SteamVR", otherwise it shuts of randomly since the last update.

I'm curious if Fallout VR will have any influence on Bethesda's games going forward. Will their new IPs launch with VR support? Will they add it into Skyrim? I imagine Fallout will be them testing the waters, but I hope they get behind it in a big way. Bethesda's games are honestly some of the ones i'd most want VR support in, as big VR RPGs are super appealing to me.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I'm curious if Fallout VR will have any influence on Bethesda's games going forward. Will their new IPs launch with VR support? Will they add it into Skyrim? I imagine Fallout will be them testing the waters, but I hope they get behind it in a big way. Bethesda's games are honestly some of the ones i'd most want VR support in, as big VR RPGs are super appealing to me.

id wager that all of their big open world games going forward will have vr support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom