• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how well they'll be able to optimize their engine really.

That, and Bethesda jank will either be amazing or horrible in VR. Watching NPCs and the world completely break will be more substantial in VR.

id wager that all of their big open world games going forward will have vr support

I can only hope. I hope the success of Resident Evil VR is a good motivator, and that was even platform exclusive. It'd probably have done even better if it came out on Vive and Oculus. Mods will get crazy if there's VR support.

atom519

I was able to finally beat Scurvy Jones in Knockout League this weekend. Man what a battle, my sides are sore this morning. Played against Sir Octopunch once and he seems easier than the last two opponents? Least I was able to knock him down twice before getting my ass kicked.

Glancing over the negative steam reviews it appears many people have never played Punch Out before or purchased thinking it was a traditional boxing game. It was clear to me but I guess devs need to be spell it out for everyone. Kind of sad to read complaints about not being able to freely attack the opponent or lacking ability to move around playspace.

I just assumed everyone had played Punch Out before and was familiar with the mechanics. I mean come on people!

Padinn

So I get Subnautica in the humble freedom bundle, but in VR mode it doesn't seem to recognize my steam controller and I can't get it to launch. Any guidance?

*edit* that was a quick fix...click "enable controller" in options menu. Oy vei...

E-flux

I haven't been able to play anything in vr lately, something got loose in my inner ear causing constant vertigo and now that i'm almost at 100% i have started to get motion sick in vr. Kinda shitty that this happened month after i got my vive.. At least now i can understand the motion sickness people get from it and why they aren't fans of normal movement in vr games.

kinggroin

Banned
I was able to finally beat Scurvy Jones in Knockout League this weekend. Man what a battle, my sides are sore this morning. Played against Sir Octopunch once and he seems easier than the last two opponents? Least I was able to knock him down twice before getting my ass kicked.

Glancing over the negative steam reviews it appears many people have never played Punch Out before or purchased thinking it was a traditional boxing game. It was clear to me but I guess devs need to be spell it out for everyone. Kind of sad to read complaints about not being able to freely attack the opponent or lacking ability to move around playspace.

I just assumed everyone had played Punch Out before and was familiar with the mechanics. I mean come on people!

Same here. I'm actually pretty upset that something as well made as this is getting slagged on. Also mad at how many people have apparently never played Punch-Out.

Devs needs to re-market this and clearly.

jotun?

As a new VR dev I find the VR movement control debate fascinating as we await the gold standard methods. It reminds me of the early fps console days when we went through the same process.

The issue I find with teleportation is that it makes the player unwilling to move around their available space, instead it gives them the expectation that they will be able to teleport within arms length of everything.

I think literally every locomotion method outside of pure roomscale games have the same problem. I really don't know if there's a solution to that though outside of some hybrid system that only allows you to artificially move when you reach the edge of your playspace.

I feel like the Budget Cuts demo does a good job of addressing this, even if it wasn't their intent. Shooting that ball around to teleport is slightly slower and more difficult than an instantaneous point-to-teleport system. That makes it less convenient to use for small movements, which I tend to naturally make up for by moving on my own.

I feel like the Budget Cuts demo does a good job of addressing this, even if it wasn't their intent. Shooting that ball around to teleport is slightly slower and more difficult than an instantaneous point-to-teleport system. That makes it less convenient to use for small movements, which I tend to naturally make up for by moving on my own.

True. Good point. Also the stealth angle of the game encourages you to crouch around and do more subtle movements that make actually moving around your space the more convenient option.

As a new VR dev I find the VR movement control debate fascinating as we await the gold standard methods. It reminds me of the early fps console days when we went through the same process.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we're ever going to find a gold standard.

• Redirected walking is fantastic in games that have small environments which can afford to require large play areas.
  • Walkabout is workable in games with large environments when it's essential for players to physically walk everywhere.
  • Teleporting is great if it can be integrated into overall game mechanics (Budget Cuts), and workable otherwise.
  • Run in place is decent if you are able to forgo precise movement, and none of the above systems make sense.

(And then there's touchpad directional sliding, which I know some people like but which I can't see us using heavily in five years because of how sick it makes a large percentage of the population)

I've recently been playing with the idea that a game could use a combination of redirected walking in smaller areas/rooms, Walkabout in larger rooms, and teleporting in outdoor/wide open spaces. Combined with climbing/swimming/etc where possible.

I've also been thinking that Walkabout might work better if the game had you turn around at set points. Like, imagine a dungeon crawler where there's the door at the end of each room, and you hold a button while turning around to move through a door. I think this could be made to feel (somewhat) natural when combined with good sound effects and visual feedback.

While the Budget Cuts teleporting implementation is absolutely fantastic, it can still be heavily abused once you get the hang of it. I hope the devs somehow iron this out for the full release.

atom519

Completely ignoring the VR aspect (to the extent that's possible), how does Knockout League compare to Punch Out Wii?

Plays very similar, it's like a VR successor to Punch Out basically. Can only counter-attack (i think?), forced to memorize their moveset which varies depending on number of knockdowns, and they generally will have some form of special during phase 3. Even the knockdown animation is a classic homeage to Punch Out.

It's currently in early access so fairly light on content, but what's there is really good.

Why does the headset stay turned on (green light, warm to the touch) when Steam VR/Steam are not running? Even, when my PC is sleeping.

I really hate that I can't just turn it off via software, also for the sensors. It's a hassle to plug them out every time.

Tumle

Why does the headset stay turned on (green light, warm to the touch) when Steam VR/Steam are not running? Even, when my PC is sleeping.

I really hate that I can't just turn it off via software, also for the sensors. It's a hassle to plug them out every time.
Yea I have no answer to your first part of the question..
But the sensors I usually set to the same channel.. so set them both to C and the will stop rotating 😊

I was worng about Kingspray not having a digital ladder, you can also climb on barrels to get higher up. Now I wonder what else you can do in that game I don't know about, documentation is rather minimalistic (or I'm blind)

Sidenote, I put my Vive in Roomview mode to the side to quickly go into the kitchen and get something to drink and to eat, took a little longer than expected and I returned after 15-20 minutes. The HMD was extremely warm, bordering on hot where the camera is located. It usually goes into standby if not moved, or so I thought but I'm not sure it did here. Never doing that again, I fear that could damage the tech inside if the temeperature rises a little more than that for an extended amount of time.

hexomancer

Neo Member
Yea I have no answer to your first part of the question..
But the sensors I usually set to the same channel.. so set them both to C and the will stop rotating 😊

You can enable standby mode in SteamVR settings and the sensors will automatically stop rotating a few seconds after you close SteamVR.

Just got a Vive, and am thoroughly convinced this is the future of gaming. The Lab and Budget Cuts are amazing. I wish Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption were bundled though as they both look really interesting. Other forms of VR really have affected people's perceptions of VR though. People seem to have a "oh I've tried VR before" attitude, but still get blown away by the room scale.

SimplexPL

the lack of nes and snes would cover why and without the nostalgia of punchout or super punchout you skipped out on the wii game

Well, I did hear about (and play) Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong at least. But I'm not into sports games at all (at least non-VR ones), so that may explain it.

Zalusithix

Just got a Vive, and am thoroughly convinced this is the future of gaming. The Lab and Budget Cuts are amazing. I wish Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption were bundled though as they both look really interesting. Other forms of VR really have affected people's perceptions of VR though. People seem to have a "oh I've tried VR before" attitude, but still get blown away by the room scale.

Lots of people with GearVR experience around you or something? In general the people I've encountered have had zero VR experience going in.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

looks like you are getting all the free games if you are looking for more free things these are awesome
spell fighter - http://store.steampowered.com/app/455440/
gorn - https://raithza.itch.io/gorn
compound - https://notdead.itch.io/compound

Arulan

Try Waltz of the Wizard. I really enjoyed my first time with it, and it's free.

zeioIIDX

Try Compound for free on itch.io! That's a pretty fun and super clean looking FPS. It's still in alpha right now but it was updated recently and it's lots of fun.

Just got a Vive, and am thoroughly convinced this is the future of gaming. The Lab and Budget Cuts are amazing. I wish Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption were bundled though as they both look really interesting.

IMO, Fantastic Contraption is a weird game that sounds really great on paper, but in practice feels too much like manual labor to be enjoyable to play.

cakefoo

Recommendations as they come to mind:

Arizona Sunshine
A Chair in a Room
Kingspray
Soundstage
Accounting
Out of Ammo
GPU Cubes
Rec Room
Brookhaven Experiment
AltSpace VR
VR Chat
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Trials on Tatooine
Allumette
Project Cars
Sairento
Raw Data
Knockout League
Vanishing Realms
Holopoint
Space Pirate Trainer
Blarp!
Lunar Flight
Counter Fight
Serious Sam: The First Encounter
Special Delivery
Diner Duo
Lucid Trips
Anyland
We Were Here
The Foo Show
Windlands

Zalusithix

New SteamVR beta:
Improved quality of supersampling (applications that render much higher resolution than the recommended resolution). Added a slider to the developer settings page to set supersampling amount between 0.8x-2.4x the recommended resolution.

Wonder what they're doing differently for supersampling.

moniker

hiuo_x9ftfm7aaa7lvytyyosh2.jpg

Some one on Reddit put up a close up of Valve's upcoming single rotor Lighthouse. They're curved now and apparently have even higher FOV.

Zalusithix

Some one on Reddit put up a close up of Valve's upcoming single rotor Lighthouse. They're curved now and apparently have even higher FOV.

Yeah, we first saw them in the Valve interview video. Smaller, simpler, cheaper, and a larger FoV. The rotor appears to be stabilized on both ends now as well - likely needed due to it being heavier and taller.

The curved LED sync pulse array will help with placement and positioning, though I'm somewhat disappointed it still uses optical syncing. Relying on optical sync hinders lighthouse volume concatenation without having a continual line of sight. On the plus side, it looks like the channel readout 8 segment LED is gone, so automatic channel configuration should be in.

Comandr

Redemptions Guild looks really cool. I was a little let down at first to see what appeared to be controller based movement, and then I saw they included teleportation for the "small number of people that experience motion sickness," like me. Man do I get sick as hell when I play a VR game that has movement not directly controlled by my body. Sucks.

Durante

New SteamVR beta:

Wonder what they're doing differently for supersampling.
I'd guess that they were previously using bilinear sampling, and are now using something better (e.g. Bicubic, Lanczos, Mitchell-Netravali).

That would fit with the description of working better at higher resolutions.

Arulan

Does the slider essentially replace the renderTargetMultiplier setting? If so, what about the separate user-interface setting?

SomTervo

Thanks for all the recommendations. Makes it a little bit easier to sort through a lot of the shovelware-ish titles that are out there.

I'm not involved with these titles in any way, promise: Organ Quarter and The Solus Project.

Solus VR implementation is technically still WIP though so take that with a grain of salt. Some people don't enjoy it but others have said it's their favourite VR experience and spent (literally) hundreds of hours in it.

Also as said above Climbey is the absolute tits

Fantastic Contraption really just makes me want a new Incredible Machines in VR. The potential in adding a third dimension to IM's Rube Goldberg machines is massive.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Fantastic Contraption is SUCH a good idea, but executed poorly. A Nuts n Bolts style game has so much potential in VR.

i just want a version of the incredible machine in vr or rube goldberg machine simulator

Fantastic Contraption really just makes me want a new Incredible Machines in VR. The potential in adding a third dimension to IM's Rube Goldberg machines is massive.

god yes

cakefoo

i just want a version of the incredible machine in vr or rube goldberg machine simulator

In case you missed, Ruberg is coming in a few months
EuphoricAngryAmericanbobtail.gif

Valentine's Day-themed RG machine (youtube version because their gif framerate sucked)

I just messaged them to see if they'll have anything other than abstract shapes to work with. It would be really cool if they kept updating the game with items you find lying around a house.

Google pushing the mixed reality tech a bit further with headset removal.
YawningEmotionalGnat.gif

Combine this with Owlchemy's in engine mixed reality tech, and you'll finally get people that look like they're really a part of the virtual world.
The Try Guys Try New VR Technology

pEal8XaE4mwwM.gif

Also, Stuck in Virtual Reality - VR HOME is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom