• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Hoping "sandbox" in the game descriptor doesn't mean it's lacking distinct puzzles to solve

How would you "solve" something with a Rube Goldberg machine simulator? Or rather how would you score it? Additional score for every additional piece added? I mean, the very premise of those machines is to do something in the craziest, least efficient way possible.

Tain

How would you "solve" something with a Rube Goldberg machine simulator? Or rather how would you score it? Additional score for every additional piece added? I mean, the very premise of those machines is to do something in the craziest, least efficient way possible.

Just like how The Incredible Machine did it: with a limited inventory of off-the-wall items and a general goal (usually something like "put the tennis ball in the trash can").

I could see some potential in rewarding scoring bonuses for the most convoluted machines, too. Might be fun to have a number of situational hidden bonuses to find.

Zalusithix

Just like how The Incredible Machine did it: with a limited inventory of off-the-wall items and a general goal (usually something like "put the tennis ball in the trash can").

I could see some potential in rewarding scoring bonuses for the most convoluted machines, too. Might be fun to have a number of situational hidden bonuses to find.

For some reason, limited inventory seems contrary to the spirit of a Rube Goldberg machine in my head.

cakefoo

Whie Ruberg isn't a Incredible Machine clone, I appreciate it for what it is. It's exciting to see all the activites that VR makes more accessible.

"For some reason, limited inventory seems contrary to the spirit of a Rube Goldberg machine in my head"

Have you seriously never played The Incredible Machine series????????

???????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The dev said on the forum that they have started work on adding Vive support to Assetto Corsa

Zalusithix

"For some reason, limited inventory seems contrary to the spirit of a Rube Goldberg machine in my head"

Have you seriously never played The Incredible Machine series????????

???????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

There's a lot of games/series I haven't played. That's just one of them. =P

ArtHands

The taiwan HTC vive page said they will be at barcelona MWC this year and they might have new news to share. MWC is 5 days from now

Tried Holopoint for the first time, I'm always looking for physically demanding VR games and this game was praised in that regard.

It's the first time the cable really felt like a hindrance because sidestepping and turning is really helpful in this game and the weight of the HMD is not small enough for the standard head-bands that come with the Vive. I already have tightened them more than most people are doing (I assume) but fast head movement is still a bit shaky on the visuals, so I'm not sure I will be playing this game too often + my roomsize is rather small and I fear that could be potentially dangerous with this game (if you really go all out with it).

Concept is cool but I'd rather stick with Audioshield and weights.

E-flux

Having not played the Incredible Machine is like having not played Civilization or Sim City or Super Mario Bros or Street Fighter X Tekken.

I doubth that Incredible machine was that ground breaking that it changed the genre, or created one like the three games you mentioned.
On a side note, i have seen you in a bunch of threads over the time but you never use quotations, why? You are the only one who i have seen to do this.'

Has the release date for SUPERHOTVR been announced for vive yet?

"I doubth that Incredible machine was that ground breaking that it changed the genre, or created one like the three games you mentioned."

It's the progenitor of the physics-based puzzle game genre, actually.

Zalusithix

Having not played the Incredible Machine is like having not played Civilization or Sim City or Super Mario Bros or Street Fighter X Tekken.

Haven't played that either. The only fighting game I've managed to rack more than a few hours in has been Soul Calibur, and I think that was mostly fascination with having graphics of that caliber on my TV. Just not a big fan of fighters.

In a similar sense, Incredible Machine could have been the best thing ever, but it wouldn't have mattered to me back when those (non-mobile) games came out. That was a different stage in my life and my interests weren't the same as they are now.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
bought stolen steel its very meh its really buggy and the hit detection is not that great if you are looking for melee based sword games stick with gorn and spell fighter

I was about to say I didn't either, then I actually googled the name. So THAT's the game I spent an unholy amount of time on elementary school computers.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I was about to say I didn't either, then I actually googled the name. So THAT's the game I spent an unholy amount of time on elementary school computers.

incredible machine, where in the world is carmen sandiego, number munchers, math blaster and organ trail where main stays on our elementary school computers

edit: oregan trail that has less zombies roaming the plains

I doubth that Incredible machine was that ground breaking that it changed the genre, or created one like the three games you mentioned.
On a side note, i have seen you in a bunch of threads over the time but you never use quotations, why? You are the only one who i have seen to do this.'

Has the release date for SUPERHOTVR been announced for vive yet?

TIM was groundbreaking on many levels.

Obduction coming to Vive on March 22
http://obduction.com/hotly-awaited-obduction-vive-and-touch-get-street-date/

Also Tethered VR (former PSVR exclusive) also coming to Vive and Rift on Feb 27th

Some gameplay vids of Tethered on Rift to showcase motion support
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwgzyr9PUqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdvkKzCSbZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjCJQmxi8EE

I thought Obduction has been on Vive for months? I haven't tried it yet but it has been showing up for me as VR enabled.

Edit: oh, 'hand' controls, great. Limited roomscale would be great too.

"Are we still expecting for Codemasters' deal with Oculus to expire so we can play Dirt Rally on Vive officially?"

Man, I feel like you've spent more time posting about it than you would've spent just installing Revive and playing :).

And I don't think they're going to add official Vive support. Considering Dirt 4 is on the way in a few months, I think outside of the PSVR update they're all hands on deck with that.

"Are we still expecting for Codemasters' deal with Oculus to expire so we can play Dirt Rally on Vive officially?"

Man, I feel like you've spent more time posting about it than you would've spent just installing Revive and playing :).

And I don't think they're going to add official Vive support. Considering Dirt 4 is on the way in a few months, I think outside of the PSVR update they're all hands on deck with that.

I hardly have the time to play Vive, let alone mess with something like Revive.. :/
I'll just have to deal with it! (Or maybe actually install Revive)

I'm trying to build a routine of playing 1hr of active room-scale games a day though, as exercise, but it's tough after a long work day.

ArtHands

I thought Obduction has been on Vive for months? I haven't tried it yet but it has been showing up for me as VR enabled.

Edit: oh, 'hand' controls, great. Limited roomscale would be great too.

It was up only for Oculus Rift with gamepad support

This upcoming update adds Oculus Touch support for Rift , as well as HTC Vive support

Helznicht

Tried it back some time ago. Could not find a way to reset HMD position, none of the F keys did anything. So I was driving from the back seat with my head partially through the roof. When how I looked at how to reset HMD on Codemasters site, They said hit the reset button on the side of the occulus. Yeah dont have that button on the vive, so I have not tried since.

"Tried it back some time ago. Could not find a way to reset HMD position, none of the F keys did anything. So I was driving from the back seat with my head partially through the roof. When how I looked at how to reset HMD on Codemasters site, They said hit the reset button on the side of the occulus. Yeah dont have that button on the vive, so I have not tried since."

You can map a button in the keybinding section. By default I want to say it's ctrl+space.

Tried it back some time ago. Could not find a way to reset HMD position, none of the F keys did anything. So I was driving from the back seat with my head partially through the roof. When how I looked at how to reset HMD on Codemasters site, They said hit the reset button on the side of the occulus. Yeah dont have that button on the vive, so I have not tried since.

There isn't a button on the side of an Oculus rift - you usually have to reset hmd postion with a keyboard command or a gamepad button (set by the developer), or by pausing into Oculus Home and activating "reset position in game" from the icon on the right.

Do Oculus games do some kind of auto super sampling? I always seem to have (relatively minor, but annoying) performance problems in Oculus games on my GTX 980 Ti, and I noticed that all these games also have strangely good IQ. I've never touched SteamVR's super sampling settings...

vermadas

Do Oculus games do some kind of auto-super sampling? I always seem to have (relatively minor, but annoying) performance problems in Oculus games on my GTX 980 Ti, and I noticed that all these games also have strangely good IQ. I've never touched SteamVR's super sampling settings...

Many, (maybe all?) Oculus Studios experiences/games will have built-in supersampling. I know at least some of the stuff also tries to automatically set a SS value based on your HW config. The Oculus Debug Tool has an overlay that will display the supersampling value being used but I'm not sure if it works with ReVive.

TheRed

Man I wish I could divert all rendering power to the headset when playing a non vr game in the headset. I've been playing some Battlefield 1 using steam controller in Virtual desktop, with the curved screen covering my field of view and man it is incredibly immersive.
Playing it at 1080p Ultra with my gtx 1080 but the game has to display on my monitor too so it's effectively pushing out 4k pixels.
Wish I could get those all in the headset because aiming at things in the distance can be hard to see and a better resolution would help a lot.
Also when playing like this usually within 30 mins I guess there's a bug where the steam client starts eating up 40% of my CPU which makes the framerate unplayable since BF1 already maxes my CPU.

SomTervo

Man I wish I could divert all rendering power to the headset when playing a non vr game in the headset. I've been playing some Battlefield 1 using steam controller in Virtual desktop, with the curved screen covering my field of view and man it is incredibly immersive.
Playing it at 1080p Ultra with my gtx 1080 but the game has to display on my monitor too so it's effectively pushing out 4k pixels.
Wish I could get those all in the headset because aiming at things in the distance can be hard to see and a better resolution would help a lot.
Also when playing like this usually within 30 mins I guess there's a bug where the steam client starts eating up 40% of my CPU which makes the framerate unplayable since BF1 already maxes my CPU.

I looked into this briefly a while back - if I recall right there's a config setting (same place as the old supersampling setting) where you could tell it to stop rendering to the monitor. Or maybe it was just a regular old setting.

TheRed

I looked into this briefly a while back - if I recall right there's a config setting (same place as the old supersampling setting) where you could tell it to stop rendering to the monitor. Or maybe it was just a regular old setting.

Interesting. Thanks, I'll be looking for it later.

Just spent a few hours in Rec Room.. it's been a while! They added so much.

Quest mode is really well done and challenging.. and friendly fire is on! It is a co-op dungeon crawler that you (should) play with 4 people max. You go down a dungeon and defeat mobs of enemies.

3D Charades is still the best VR experience.. it's really fun, relaxed, and you will meet so many great, nice, funny people. I was laughing out loud with total strangers for the whole evening.

It's also quite popular, always lots of people online. Of all ages.

I recommend everyone with a Vive to try it out. (Maybe it also supports other headsets now? Not sure.)

SomTervo

bought stolen steel its very meh its really buggy and the hit detection is not that great if you are looking for melee based sword games stick with gorn and spell fighter

I also think Acan's Call is really good, especially if

1. You don't take the shield
2. You make sure to move your sword into your enemies attacks (you can't just hold it still and hope to block)

Point 2 gives it the best swordfighting out there IMO. It makes you really swing into defences as well as attacks

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

2. You make sure to move your sword into your enemies attacks (you can't just hold it still and hope to block)

Point 2 gives it the best swordfighting out there IMO. It makes you really swing into defences as well as attacks

oooOOooo something new to do didnt see this before ill check it out a little later

Paganmoon

One thing I didn't like about Acan's Call was the "sticky" sword. It could get stuck on items in the world, and in turn get "disconnected" from your hand. It was both jarring, and annoying. Vanishing Realms did it better where it "sticks" for a bit, but if it gets into a choice between disconnecting the weapon from your hand, and clipping the world, it clips the world. Somehow, clipping is less immersionbreaking than "sticking".

Not sure if it's been changed in Acan's Call since I tested it sometime during the fall.

cakefoo

Two mirrors, two generations of tech.

xj0QkJB.gif

Foveated rendering, controller input, and now social interaction? Eyetracking is going to be huge for VR.

Source, and the eyetracker company is called Tobii. They'll be at GDC.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I came so close to buying a tobii just for general desktop usage. I had this extremely wicked fantasy of using my eyes as a mouse and having a custom 6keypad to act as the mouse clicks. It probably would be hella rad but all the reviews I read said its just accurate enough for that yet.

Two mirrors, two generations of tech.

xj0QkJB.gif

Foveated rendering, controller input, and now social interaction? Eyetracking is going to be huge for VR.

Source, and the eyetracker company is called Tobii. They'll be at GDC.
Is this something that we can maybe have put into existing Vive units, or only on a future generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom