• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

dno_1966

Recently got one and finally got it all set up this morning, never even tried it before and am loving it but the image is very grainy/pixely and I'm wondering if I've done something wrong? I set up my inter pupil distance but that made no difference and i'm wondering if there's anything else i can try?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Recently got one and finally got it all set up this morning, never even tried it before and am loving it but the image is very grainy/pixely and I'm wondering if I've done something wrong? I set up my inter pupil distance but that made no difference and i'm wondering if there's anything else i can try?

its not a clear image it has a screen door effect

kinggroin

Banned

Supersampling will drastically improve image resolution and clarity, but the grid like structure to the overall picture cannot be changed. Not until the panel resolution improves.

Compsiox

Banned

If it is indeed the screen door effect, you'll get used to it and you'll begin to see a little more clearly. But yeah, current limitations of the hardwarr.

Bullet Sorrow is fun, not sure how how long that game is, probably on the shorter side if the 3 chapter menu is any indication. But I like the style of the game, the bullet time and specially the shotgun. Feels like FEAR VR, I'm not a gun nut but actively using the pump action mechanic is extremely satisfying.

Also, if you skip leg day a lot this will rectify this problem by constantly crouching down to take cover behind boxes.

SomTervo

I just picked up Diner Duo on sale ($10). Is it a pretty easy game to jump into with friends who've never played it before?

Yep. It's absolutely brilliant. Had my little cousin (14) over last night and we had a blast with it. Really intuitive. Easy to learn hard to master.

Mass Exodus is great too - just make sure people use the powers. Good power use wins the game.

Yep. It's absolutely brilliant. Had my little cousin (14) over last night and we had a blast with it. Really intuitive. Easy to learn hard to master.

Mass Exodus is great too - just make sure people use the powers. Good power use wins the game.

Is it fun for both sides, or is it a situation where the person out of VR just plays until they can get back into the headset? That's my worry with asymetric VR games, the non-VR part won't be as fun as the VR part.

Durante

Tracker is a bit higher than I expected, strap a bit lower.

Is it fun for both sides
I think so.

I also believe it's one of the most challenging VR games bar none. We thought we finally completed it and then it unlocked a set of even more ridiculous levels which we eventually had to give up on.

Valve, SMI Bring Eye Tracking To OpenVR
In advance of the 2017 Game Developer Conference (GDC), SensoMotoric Instruments (SMI) revealed to Tom’s Hardware that it is collaborating with Valve to bring its eye tracking technology to Valve’s virtual reality platform. The two companies succeeded in pairing SMI’s eye tracking system with HTC Vive headsets, and now they're integrating the technology directly into Valve’s open-source VR platform, OpenVR.

This is certainly interesting.

Financing options too. Seems like a good idea to make it easier to get it in people's hands:

In North America:
  • 0% Financing for 6 months for a total monthly cost of $138.00 (plus tax and shipping)
  • 0% Financing for 12 months for a total monthly cost of $66.58 (plus tax and shipping)
  • 7.99% Financing for 24 months for a total monthly cost of $40.13 (plus tax and shipping)

Strap is an ok price. I expected worse only because of how high HTC has been charging for accessories. Whether the price is actually good will depend on it's actual build quality and the headphones. Wish it was coming out a bit sooner though.

Too bad they couldn't/wouldn't put out the tracker at a cheaper price. That's going to limit the accessory market for it a lot imo.

Audio strap is lower than I thought. I'll probably pick one up. I wonder if the headphones are going to be any good.

For $100 I'd hope they would be decent at least, but they do charge a premium on most of the accessories. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have any over the ear foam or anything though, seems like the speakers rest directly on your ears.

The new episode for The Foo show is coming soon. Steam page went live. It's for Quadrilateral Cowboy.

ibKu1Tl.jpg

Teppic

I have a question. If the next Vive has a screen with better resolution, would it be possible to lower the resolution to increase performance?

Compsiox

Banned
I have a question. If the next Vive has a screen with better resolution, would it be possible to lower the resolution to increase performance?

I mean they'll probably introduce an option. If the resolution increase is major it probably won't even render at said resolution. It will just raise the pixel count for less screen door.

Teppic

I mean they'll probably introduce an option. If the resolution increase is major it probably won't even render at said resolution. It will just raise the pixel count for less screen door.
Ah, I hope you're right. I don't have a Vive and I was thinking if it might be worth to wait for a revision. Just a bit worried that my graphics card (gtx 1060) might not cut it if they increase the resolution. I don't think it will be enough by future standards, but it would be nice if I can play todays titles at least.

Yes, in fact, you can already do this by selecting less than 1.0 as the screen percentage.
Okay, sounds good :) I'll probably wait for a new version since the Vive is so expensive. Unless I can get it really cheap.

cyress8

Banned
Probably a smart idea for HTC, but people really shouldn't be financing luxury electronic gadgets.

Good option for me though. I can pay for one out of pocket right now and will once the next batch of headsets come out. This lowers the sting of dipping my toe in when I'm not 100% fully committed to buy a headset just yet.

That 12 month plan looks nice and hopefully the next batch of VR headsets come out soonish. Hopefully, I can also just sell it to finish the last of the payments when they announce the release dates.

My i7 6700 and 1080 have been waiting since last year for a VR headset and this will just push me over to try it out.

Good option for me though. I can pay for one out of pocket right now and will once the next batch of headsets come out. This lowers the sting of dipping my toe in when I'm not 100% fully committed to buy a headset just yet.
One way or another, you're still going to be paying full price for the headset. If you can pay out of pocket, do so. You'll still be able to sell it later on and recoup the cost, if that's your intention.

Keep in mind that $800 + shipping—despite being MSRP—really isn't a great deal right now. The Vive has gone on sale for $100 off a ton of times over the past 3-4 months, so you should be able to find a better price if you shop around. And at an absolute minimum, most stores will give you free shipping.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Things are starting to get interesting with these recent VR threads. Feels like some big stuff is just around the corner.

The dream:
Scorpio supports VR, uses Lighthouse, has foveated rendering, and the headset also works on PC

Looks like Raw Data is coming to the Rift/Touch next month and will be cross-platform with the Vive.

Starting next month Suvios’ virtual reality shooter Raw Data will be playable on the Oculus Rift with Touch controllers and support cross-platform multiplayer.

That means Oculus Rift owners will be able to play with Vive owners once the March update hits. Suvios hasn’t yet set a specific release date for the update, but did detail some of what else will be included when it arrives.

Two of the three playable heroes, Saija and Boss, will receive new abilities and extensive reworks, largely in response to player feedback, according to the company.

These upgrades will prove useful when players attempt the challenging new mission. Cataclysm has players fending off enemies while traveling on a moving elevator platform within Eden Corp’s Data Chamber.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/27/14749384/raw-data-oculus-rift-touch

cakefoo

Anyone else find themselves hunting for a new place to live, and if the place doesn't have a wide open room you cross it off the list?

As others have said, yes.

Also, I would hope the Vive 2 has built-in eyetracking and that foveated rendering will be widely supported by our current GPUs and games. If so, you'll actually get BETTER graphics in Vive 2 than Vive 1.

Shoyz

An improved headstrap was my #1 desire after getting my Vive, but the timing feels a bit too late. I'd felt fairly certain we'd be seeing successors released in 2018, LG's about to show off their "next-gen" prototype, Valve's shown off their gen2 lighthouses and knuckle controllers already. Kind of feels like $100 that could be saved a short while longer towards gen2 instead.
Doesn't help that it's not coming out for another 4 months from now.

Or am I crazy and these things are somehow 2 more years off?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
An improved headstrap was my #1 desire after getting my Vive, but the timing feels a bit too late. I'd felt fairly certain we'd be seeing successors released in 2018, LG's about to show off their "next-gen" prototype, Valve's shown off their gen2 lighthouses and knuckle controllers already. Kind of feels like $100 that could be saved a short while longer towards gen2 instead.
Doesn't help that it's not coming out for another 4 months from now.

Or am I crazy and these things are somehow 2 more years off?

I think ideally none of those things have too much relation. The updated lighthouses seem like a manufacturing upgrade from what I've read. Not much tangible difference, but a cleaner mechanism (1 moving part vs 2.) In an ideal world LG's new headsets works with everyone's tracking stations they already have, same with the knuckles controller. I'm gonna buy a Vive within the next months (been saving for a looong time) and am not too worried about it being obsolete. I will definitely buy the knuckles controllers when they're released, and I am hoping that in ~a month or two that the Vive will just come with the new lighthouses anyway. If you can wait, wait. But since they're going for a modular system its not like some new release down the line invalidates your original purchase, it should augment it.

Shoyz

I think ideally none of those things have too much relation. The updated lighthouses seem like a manufacturing upgrade from what I've read. Not much tangible difference, but a cleaner mechanism (1 moving part vs 2.) In an ideal world LG's new headsets works with everyone's tracking stations they already have, same with the knuckles controller. I'm gonna buy a Vive within the next months (been saving for a looong time) and am not too worried about it being obsolete. I will definitely buy the knuckles controllers when they're released, and I am hoping that in ~a month or two that the Vive will just come with the new lighthouses anyway. If you can wait, wait. But since they're going for a modular system its not like some new release down the line invalidates your original purchase, it should augment it.

Good point on modularity. If I were to assume updated lighthouses and the knuckle controllers could be handled and sold separately by Valve, perhaps HTC will sell an updated Vive HMD by itself. And in doing so, I could both easily see the next-gen Vive HMD coming even sooner, but also the general shell remaining the same.
I suppose it's totally possible that when buying a Gen2 Vive, the 'Deluxe Audio Strap' could /still/ be an optional add-on/upgrade purchase option, eg. (Standard Strap: $0, ADD-ON: Deluxe Audio Strap: +$99). Alternatively but less likely, a discount for ordering the HMD without a strap at all for upgraders. Barring any desire to switch to another company's HMD, if this wound up being the case then the upgraded strap would be a far better value as it would essentially be an advance gen-2 pre-purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom