• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Revisiting the room size figures from all those months back:

fq0Pzrr.jpg

Seems room-scale makes sense for the majority
Mine is 3.2 x 2.8, and it's still not a large as I'd like. But it seems like the "3x2.5" category it falls into is the largest with any significant representation.

Found this interesting to mention
Man loses 50 pounds playing Soundboxing, the Youtuber Tribalinstincts lost weight playing VR for a year now and is mainly attributing his weightloss to Holopoint.

While I was never as corpulent as those guys, I myself visibly lost some middle aged man belly fat over a few months playing mainly Audioshield.

This hadn't come up in VR threads very often and is one of the aspects of VR I wasn't expecting in the beginning.

I've lost more than 50lbs since I got my Vive, but it's almost entirely due to diet changes. VR has been useful to my weight loss, but mainly as an inspiration because using it when I was close to 300lbs felt physically exhausting and uncomfortable.

Teppic

The weight loss thing is one reason I want a Vive. Playing games while losing weight is a good combo. Many people seems to think that moving around while playing is a negative. I see it as a positive. I don't only want to play games in VR, but doing something I like and exercising at the same time appeals a lot to me.

They'd probably save a lot more medical costs by doing discounts on VR than free gyms and such.

I just bought soundboxing! ;) Is Audioshield still at the state of feeling unfinished?

Depends on what you mean with "feeling unfinished", you can now add youtube vids as favorites and have always quick access to them, that was the only thing that felt missing to me. 3 stages and 3 shields (I only ever use 1 stage and one shield though)

I've lost more than 50lbs since I got my Vive, but it's almost entirely due to diet changes. VR has been useful to my weight loss, but mainly as an inspiration because using it when I was close to 300lbs felt physically exhausting and uncomfortable.
Good on you buddy. Keep up the great work.

SomTervo

Is it fun for both sides, or is it a situation where the person out of VR just plays until they can get back into the headset? That's my worry with asymetric VR games, the non-VR part won't be as fun as the VR part.

Hey sorry I never responded to this.

In my experience VR diner duo is absolutely as fun as both. It's all about communication so you're shouting at each other while seeing the same things from a different perspective. Usually the VR person gets tired after a while and has to swap to Monitor, so there's plenty of sharing back and forth.

Mass Exodus is slightly different because there's no communication. The problem with Mass Exofus is that if one person isn't using their Powers well enough it quickly becomes very one sided. With inexperienced gamers it's easy for one player to wipe the floor with the other. If you are good at the game both sides are fun. If you're not good at the game the VR side is probably more fun just for the novelty.

Zalusithix

The weight loss thing is one reason I want a Vive. Playing games while losing weight is a good combo. Many people seems to think that moving around while playing is a negative. I see it as a positive. I don't only want to play games in VR, but doing something I like and exercising at the same time appeals a lot to me.

They'd probably save a lot more medical costs by doing discounts on VR than free gyms and such.

There's only one downside to exercise and VR, and that's the headset. Sweat and the lack of air circulation don't make the most pleasant experience. Ideally some company would make an exercise focused headset with sweat resistance and built in ventilation. I'd be tempted to use such a thing in a biking setup. Interface the game/software with a trainer with automated resistance control and a variable speed fan, and you'd have pretty damn close to the real thing.

SomTervo

I remember working on a study a few years back that correlated how many times per week you sweat (even lightly) with general fitness.

Yep, even 10 mins of Holopoint you work up a gentle sweat. Good shit.

Boo, I really wanted to see a trend toward larger spaces. I feel like we're missing out on a lot of interesting stuff (redirected walking, for example) because most users are limited to such small areas.

Mine is 3.2 x 2.8, and it's still not a large as I'd like.

For whatever it's worth, while experimenting with different play areas in my grandmother's apartment, I found that 4x4 (!) was the sweet spot where I finally felt unrestricted.

In my new apartment I get 3x4, which despite being much larger than average always feels too small.

Oculus announced/showed off some new games at GDC. I know they're "exclusive" but I think they're worth sharing (because ReVive will likely work).

Oculus unveiled some new Rift/Touch games at GDC - Oculus Blog | The Verge | Engadget | Sizzle

Brass Tactics by Hidden Path Entertainment | UploadVR | Ars | Trailer

From Other Suns by Gunfire Games | UploadVR | Engadget | Trailer

Mage's Tale by inXile Entertainment | UploadVR | RoadToVR | Tested hands on video

Blade & Soul: Table Arena by NCSoft | Trailer

Also some previews from other anticipated games:

Robo Recall | UploadVR

Killing Floor: Incursion | UploadVR

Arktika.1 | UploadVR | RoadToVR

I just released my silly Vive game 'Stage Presence' - a comedy / horror / karaoke game published by tinyBuild. Take a look if you like the idea of getting bottles of piss thrown at you, singing to a crowd of demons and playing a gig on an exploding moon base http://store.steampowered.com/app/391640

Oh awesome! Didn't realize you were a GAFfer. Been intrigued by this one since the first Twitter teases.

derFeef

I just tried both Soundboxing and Audioshield. For me personally Soundboxing is superiour because I feel like Audioshields audio is not that great and the hits feel out of sync with the music. Soundboxing is user created and thus far always syncs fine (as long as the user has a good feel for rhytm.)

I just tried both Soundboxing and Audioshield. For me personally Soundboxing is superiour because I feel like Audioshields audio is not that great and the hits feel out of sync with the music. Soundboxing is user created and thus far always syncs fine (as long as the user has a good feel for rhytm.)

That's a complaint that I've read more than once and it is true to some degree. What I've figured is that "normal" difficulty has to many blank spaces in the pattern so the rythm get's interrupted too regulary imo. Hard is the way to go but:

The second thing is, the algorythm alway latches on to a rythm in the music, but that is not always the beat. Sometimes it is another pattern that doesn't stand out as much as the beat and it can change throughout a song. I like that as I don't always want only the beat to be as dominant and mechanic as can be but I can see that many other people see that differently.

Then there is real Youtube desync, sometimes the video doesn't buffer correctly at the beginning and the song stopps for a second. When that happens the patterns can really go out of sync and I restart the song, doesn't happen too often though and is no problem with stored music on the computer.

Yeah, they both have pros and cons.

Soundboxing

+ Tailor made beat maps
+ Well made beat maps are more fun than Audioshield at it's best imo
+ Making beat maps is surprisingly fun
+ Dev updates a lot

- User generated beats means not every song can be played unless you want to make it yourself, and some beat maps are terribad
- Discoverability is hard and the new songs tab is flooded with anime music
- Limited to music on Youtube

Audioshield

+ Can use every song in your library plus Youtube
+ Multiple difficulties
+ Well generated beats can feel like zen

- Beat generation is hit or miss and there's nothing you can do to improve the misses
- Youtube videos took forever to load for me the first time
- Game feels abandoned by dev

As a rhythm game fanatic, I really like both though I prefer a well made Soundboxing beat map over the best generated Audioshield stuff I've played.

Melon Husk

The cable's got to go. Crouching gets the cable under my heels too often, and it's awkward - so I'm mindful of my movements in fast paced shooters. As far as I'm concerned we're in the early adopter phase until integrated wireless capability and a more comfortable headstrap are base level HMD features. Integrated audio and higher resolution are nice but I don't clamour them as much. Headphones with a short detachable cable or bluetooth fix the former and anti-aliasing fixes the latter.

Ps. Pavlov VR is a better John Wick simulator than John Wick VR. Finally, I've learned (virtual) real life skills from watching a movie: that tilted pistol grip technique really works. Now if I just learn to grab the knife without fumbling...

Zalusithix

Soundboxing

+ Tailor made beat maps
+ Dev updates a lot

- User generated beats means not every song can be played unless you want to make it yourself, and some beat maps are terribad

Audioshield

+ Multiple difficulties

- Beat generation is hit or miss and there's nothing you can do to improve the misses

As a rhythm game fanatic, I really like both though I prefer a well made Soundboxing beat map over the best generated Audioshield stuff I've played.
Well at least we got the ability to favorite tracks now! Nothing like getting the most basic of additions so many months down the line...

I just released my silly Vive game 'Stage Presence' - a comedy / horror / karaoke game published by tinyBuild. Take a look if you like the idea of getting bottles of piss thrown at you, singing to a crowd of demons and playing a gig on an exploding moon base http://store.steampowered.com/app/391640

Looks awesome! I'll have to give this a try sometime soon.

I just have to say, I love your name and avatar.

Well at least we got the ability to favorite tracks now! Nothing like getting the most basic of additions so many months down the line...

It's so odd. Every time I accept that the guy has moved on and we'llnever see another update outside of fixing a major bug, he throws a minor bone out of nowhere. It's too bad he doesn't add proper mod support for at least the stages since the community would happily take care of that on their own.

Survios just announced Sprint Vector, which will allow movement/locomotion in VR games without motion sickness:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14763450/sprint-vector-trailer-video-vomit

Sprint Vector is an extreme version of parkour you play in virtual reality and which won't, and this is a big deal, make you vomit.

Or so says the team behind the game, the same developers that created Raw Data, the first-person shooter that recently went cross-platform for both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

They feel they nailed the experience of an action game with Raw Data, and now they think they have non-nausea-inducing sprinting in VR down too.

"We are really, really excited about this one," said Mike McTyre, design director at developer Survios. "The driving force behind this was that the team really wanted to tackle head-on the challenge of locomotion.

Survios just announced Sprint Vector, which will allow movement/locomotion in VR games without motion sickness:

Oh HELL YES! A parkour VR game is something I've been saying for a while that I wish someone would make. Looks awesome and from Survios no less.

"You move one arm forward, hold the button and release and then the other," he said. "That was the easier of the two parts of the problem we had to tackle."

The harder part was getting the system and the game to correctly interpret anyone's arm movements and translate that into speed and direction.

"As players are moving their arms back and forth very, very rapidly, it controls your speed," McTyre said. "But we're humans, not robots, and we all move are arms in different ways.
Sounds like the locomotion method is a smoother version of Art of Fight's which I've also been saying someone needs to do. Super hyped for this now.

Oh HELL YES! A parkour VR game is something I've been saying for a while that I wish someone would make. Looks awesome and from Survios no less.

Sounds like the locomotion method is a smoother version of Art of Fight's which I've also been saying someone needs to do. Super hyped for this now.

I have no idea what is going on but I'm interested.

I'm biased, but let me tell you: I played it last night for about half an hour and it's just as amazing as it sounds. The movement is strikingly simple and fast as hell. Takes a while to get used to but feels fantastic once you get going. No motion sickness at all either (and I sometimes get motion sick when sitting in the back of cars.)

I'll be with the Survios team showing it off at GDC if anyone wants to stop by and say hi.

Now someone just needs to port this to Mirror's Edge.

Tain

k soundboxing is really good and it's not just because there's an abundance of good Perfume charts

0giBHIHl.jpg

but that really helps

derFeef

Soundboxing

+ Tailor made beat maps
+ Dev updates a lot

Audioshield

+ Multiple difficulties

Yeah pretty much!
I might refund Audioshield, it's just not enough for that asking price. If beat generation would be great and the gameplay actually fun it would be okay.

2 things:

Kingsspray, now that I've looked a bit deeper into that. A lot of it is bugged as hell, the two working areas (Roof and Backlot) work correctly and look great, the rest is unusable for me. Stuff doesn't render correctly, lighting seems broken and I cant see some walls at all etc. Kinda disappointing, I have to take a look into Vive Spray and see if that fares better.

Bullet Sorow is cool, but sometimes the game goes into the loading screen and doesn't come back. Then when I look at my desktop, the game is still running. When I enable/disable display mirroring the game comes back into the HMD. This may or may not be a specific problem with Bullet Sorrow as I had this happen with Windlands too.
Maybe the last Steam Beta update is the origin here?

XShagrath

I've never had a problem with Audioshield. I play on Hard or Harder(?) and almost exclusively metal, and I have very rarely felt that I was just blocking random orbs with no relation to the music. I very much appreciate that it works off of your own library, as a lot of the stuff I listen to is not very popular (comparatively) and wouldn't have beatmaps made from youtube videos or whatever. A lot of the stuff I've played in Audioshield, I'm the only person to ever play that song.

Tain

I also think that general readability is better in Soundboxing. The little timing rings help, the fireworks and the strength meter keep me clearly hitting notes at full speed, there are chart scroll speed options, and the lines between the notes are ultra-helpful.

It's more info, so it's no surprise that it isn't as elegant-looking as Audioshield, and there's this natural garishness to having a big old low-res YouTube video playing on the horizon, but it's all worth it.

Yeah, the biggest upgrade seems to be higher resolution, OLED panels, and flip up capability. So basically pass for me, but could be great for someone who hasn't jumped in to VR yet.

BTW, Robo Recall is out now on the Oculus store. Free for Touch users, but they're also selling it for $30. Early reports seem to indicate it doesn't work with ReVive yet though. EDIT: Revive works. Apparently it just needs to be manually injected.

Zalusithix

7fzOnEf.jpg

I know I've seen controllers that look like this before, but I'll be damned if I can find the pic now.

Edit: Also, one more button. Odd.

Not even eye tracking? WORTHLESS.

I'll just keep upgrading what I've got, and if they add eye tracking to the Vive I'll use it for super sampling.

Also where mah knuckle controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom