• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

They look similar to some prototype controllers that was seen in this slide at Steam Dev Days.
Bingo. Thought it was from that point in time, but I couldn't find it at work. So another case of a manufacturer more or less taking a Valve prototype to market.

This might be a strong hint that valve intends to manufacture the grip style controllers themselves. As somone who lives a place where valve has never sold any hardware I'm a bit conflicted about that prospect.

cakefoo

Eye Tracking in Rec Room

We experimented with a few different art styles.

One which is subtle:

ezgif.com-crop.gif

And one that's more caffeinated.

The tiny movements of the eyes are a powerful social cue indicating whose turn it is to talk. With eye tracking enabled, we actually observed a noticeable decrease in people talking over one another.

The second feature we added was something called VR Emojis ;)

You might be wondering when eye tracking is going to make it into a playable version of Rec Room. The answer is, we're not sure just yet. A lot of smart people are working hard to get eye tracking into a consumer headset, and when that happens, it's a technology that we're excited to support.

It's hard to fully describe the impact of eye tracking with just words and photos. Like VR itself, this is something you really need to experience to fully appreciate. We here at Against Gravity are really excited for what eye tracking can bring to the future of social VR.

Old-timey silent movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLH_91qIQ24

Upload VR has an extended video interview with the LG headset. The way it slides forward and up off the face looks really slick. A couple of extra tidbits I didn't see posted before from the interview:

• The prototype uses refractive lenses instead of fresnel.
  • The current resolution isn't final. They're trying to push it further for the final version.
  • The prototype chord is a single USB C cable that carries signal, display, and audio data.
  • The interviewerer noticed how short the cable was and that's because LG is working on a wireless box that would clip to your belt that the wire would plug in to. Final version would also have a longer wire for wired use as well.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Reading upload and WTH Tal Blevins is writing over there? LOL. He used to be like the admin on IGN and would always troll and do lame stuff.
All due respect and all, just a name I haven't seen in a while.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Raw Data will be releasing on Oculus Home along with a content update next month. They will also be adding cross platform play across Oculus Home and Steam.

Korean game Overturn VR is coming out in April. This game has been rather popular and have won lots of awards in South Korea gaming events, and it is all made by 1 person. The game is being exhibited at GDC 2017 by its publisher YJM Games.
C54RW18VMAAh0ZQ.jpg

Also China based VR company "Time of VR" said that Ancient Amuletor is coming to Vive too (along with Rift and PSVR)

After I finish Horizon tonight I'll play some

I look forward to hearing impressions!

Korean game Overturn VR is coming out in April. This game has been rather popular and have won lots of awards in South Korea gaming events, and it is all made by 1 person. The game is being exhibited at GDC 2017 by its publisher YJM Games.
C54RW18VMAAh0ZQ.jpg

Also China based VR company "Time of VR" said that Ancient Amuletor is coming to Vive too (along with Rift and PSVR)

Oh wow, just looked it up, Overturn looks really interesting! I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Robo recall is really. Only had a chance to play two missions but it felt great. These oculus exclusives are always polished in a way so many other VR games are not. It runs amazing, looks great, motion is easy with an easy thumb stick activated teleport which allows you to change the direction you face by using the stick before you teleport. This makes sure the action is always in front which is important for us Rift owners.

Honestly it feels like a super hyper version of superhot. I was grabbing guns from mid air (you don't have to there is always guns at your holster), snatching billets and throwing them back at enemies, and grabbing robots and dismembering them. Juggling enemies in the air is awesome. The action is frantic and fun with a neat combo meter so I assume high score runs will be amazing.

Level is rather flat, you just teleport from place to place and enemies swarm. It's mission based so you just kill stuff for a few minutes and every once in a while a timed objective appears like kill 15 in two minutes. The whole setup reminds me of an old sega arcade game.

It controls great, it's fun to play. It's probably super light on content though. I haven't played Raw Data so I can't compare it to that but from what I played it's closest to super hot, just way faster and not as puzzle like.

The LG HMD sounds interesting, if they sell it alone and if the price is ok then I maybe would consider this as an upgrade option. Keep the HTC stuff and just replace the HMD.

Ionic

The LG HMD sounds interesting, if they sell it alone and if the price is ok then I maybe would consider this as an upgrade option. Keep the HTC stuff and just replace the HMD.

This is what I'm hoping for. Obviously the lighthouses I have should work so I don't want to rebuy them. Further it'd be great if I could still use my old controllers as they're very similar in form and function. However, I believe the HTC controllers talk to the headset and not the computer, so they'd probably need to make a dongle or something.

Anyway, I really like the idea of VR headsets being treated like the laptop or phone industry. Just tons of companies making their own models at all kinds of price points. And as long as they all use SteamVR or similar I don't have to worry about games only working with certain headsets that I now need to keep around. And I really, really like what the interview said at the very end. It'd be great to be able to buy VR accessories and just expect them to work with all headsets like my mouse works with all laptops.

I think this LG announcement is really more exciting than I thought initially. Though it's just modest improvements over current HMD's, it says that HMD technology will evolve as a spectrum instead of discrete jumps every couple years. Good stuff.

Durante

The prototype uses refractive lenses instead of fresnel.
That's interesting. It's always a sweet spot / artifacting tradeoff. I'd love for another headset to use the dual lens arrangement of the Razer HDK.
The current resolution isn't final. They're trying to push it further for the final version.
Nice.
The prototype chord is a single USB C cable that carries signal, display, and audio data.
That's very good.

I do hope they plan to sell the HMD standalone. I don't need new controllers (that aren't the valve knuckle controllers) or new lighthouses.

The trigger of one of my controllers started to squeak, Google results show that there are quite a few people out there with the same problem and there is even a teardown video for the controller on youtube. So I guess I will take it apart and apply some oil/graphite/lube to the trigger mechanism.

Funny thinking about it, no matter what controller I've used over the years, from the Snes to the 360, I've always have taken the controllers apart to deal with some problem (it's way easier with youtube these days).

derFeef

I've never had a problem with Audioshield. I play on Hard or Harder(?) and almost exclusively metal, and I have very rarely felt that I was just blocking random orbs with no relation to the music. I very much appreciate that it works off of your own library, as a lot of the stuff I listen to is not very popular (comparatively) and wouldn't have beatmaps made from youtube videos or whatever. A lot of the stuff I've played in Audioshield, I'm the only person to ever play that song.

I tried metal as well and it was even worse for me than some random beat videos. I guess it really is hit and miss.

I tried metal as well and it was even worse for me than some random beat videos. I guess it really is hit and miss.

It's not genre specific but song specific. The more busy a song is without a pronounced beat the less "on point" the ball patterns become. Most of the songs that were added to the game work nearly perfectly (Aaron Jasinski - Barricades, _ensnare_ - Cascading Doom Pony) but then there is other electronic music that doesn't work at all, lot's of dubstep songs don't really work or at least not the ones I've tried.
Take on me - Aha - works flawlessly because the rythm is so much in the foreground, Hunting High and Low - Aha, doesn't work nearly as well imo.

etc

Zalusithix

The trigger of one of my controllers started to squeak, Google results show that there are quite a few people out there with the same problem and there is even a teardown video for the controller on youtube. So I guess I will take it apart and apply some oil/graphite/lube to the trigger mechanism.

Funny thinking about it, no matter what controller I've used over the years, from the Snes to the 360, I've always have taken the controllers apart to deal with some problem (it's way easier with youtube these days).
I used a hypodermic syringe with a dry Teflon lube (the alcohol dispersal agent evaporates). Used a tiny bit at each corner and no more squeaking. No needing to rip the controller apart. Saving the tear down for when I need to fix the pad button.

I used a hypodermic syringe with a dry Teflon lube (the alcohol dispersal agent evaporates). Used a tiny bit at each corner and no more squeaking. No needing to rip the controller apart. Saving the tear down for when I need to fix the pad button.

Ah, maybe I will try that too before I risk damaging anything, thanks for the tipp!

XShagrath

When I'm playing, I'm not looking for it to necessarily follow the drums (beat), but more just feel like the music. I totally don't mind if I'm hitting orbs to the solo. I think this might be the complaint that a lot of people have with the game. Some of the slower songs I've played (Bjork, for example) were too sparse to be engaging, even at the highest difficulty.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I got to try Hololens at work. I think MS is missing out on a big opportunity to put their display tech to use in VR headsets. Put a black visor over the front of the Hololens to block out your view of the room and you now have a VR headset that beats our current options in some significant ways.

Downsides:
- Some rainbow shimmer when moving your eyes around quickly (like a DLP projector). This was only really noticeable on the white dot they use as a pointer. I didn't notice it while looking at a rendered object, for example.
- smaller FOV, but not as tiny as I had heard. I'd say it's currently equivalent to a 50" display viewed at 8 feet

Upsides:
- light weight and comfortable
- no screen door effect. Things looked solid.
- no sweet spot. Everything was in focus wherever I looked within that FOV.
- no chromatic aberration
- high resolution
- refresh rate was fine
- great brightness

I think whatever kind of projection tech they're using is fundamentally a better approach than using lenses in front of a flat LED array. Even with the smaller FOV, I'd take it over what we're using in Vive and Rift. They just need to add the wireless display tech to have it driven by a PC.

There's also input to consider too. The hand tracking was good, but it wouldn't beat Lighthouse for gaming purposes. I guess I'd pretty much take the Hololens display, put it in a Vive and call it a day.

Raticus79

That FoV doesn't sound at all usable for high-immersion VR.

Yeah, they would need to get that sorted out first for a consumer product. My point was it was so much better in other aspects that it would be worth the tradeoff as-is for some applications.

Durante

Yeah, they would need to get that sorted out first for a consumer product. My point was it was so much better in other aspects that it would be worth the tradeoff as-is for some applications.
The thing is, many of the advantages you list are directly related to lower FoV.
If you were not trying to build a high-FoV device, this would automatically allow you to get
- smaller size (which implies lower weight)
- higher resolution per degree (which also implies reduced screen door)
- a better "sweet spot" (perceptually, not because it's necessary larger in terms of degrees)

So, as long as you don't reach the 100+° FoV, comparing other parameters independently of that needs to be done with full awareness of what this implies.

Raticus79

The thing is, many of the advantages you list are directly related to lower FoV.
If you were not trying to build a high-FoV device, this would automatically allow you to get
- smaller size (which implies lower weight)
- higher resolution per degree (which also implies reduced screen door)
- a better "sweet spot" (perceptually, not because it's necessary larger in terms of degrees)

So, as long as you don't reach the 100+° FoV, comparing other parameters independently of that needs to be done with full awareness of what this implies.

True enough. Maybe it's limited to the current FOV because they start encountering engineering difficulties at those higher angles.

Zalusithix

I want a larger FoV with eye tracking. Assuming they can accomplish that without focus issues, I'll take all the downsides of our current tech in comparison to the Hololens. A good FoV is too important to give up for VR.

They should totally find a way to upgrade the Vive for USB C. I'd totally go for a thinner, single cable that could carry that data longer distances, though I guess wireless can also take care of that too.

Sky Chief

Upload has the first info on the LG VR.

https://uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-hands-lgs-steamvr-headset/

Anyone else covering this.

OLED display from LG
3.64 inches diagonal
Two panels, one for each eye, with a resolution of 1440 by 1280 each
90 Hz refresh rate

Wow, I totally called this almost a year ago (3/22/17):

Because the Rift and Vive are on PC I don't really think that upgraded hardware will make older headsets obsolete. I mean because 4k monitors exist doesn't mean that 1440p is trash. I could see LG or HTC or someone making a higher res Vive compatible headset with their latest OLED tech or something like that when big Pascal hits.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198970044&postcount=32

It really doesn't matter, Valve will still be a company and the lighthouse tech is not owned by HTC. I wouldn't be surprised for LG or someone to make Vive hardware as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199894132&postcount=5082

derFeef

I got to try Hololens at work. I think MS is missing out on a big opportunity to put their display tech to use in VR headsets. Put a black visor over the front of the Hololens to block out your view of the room and you now have a VR headset that beats our current options in some significant ways.

Downsides:
- Some rainbow shimmer when moving your eyes around quickly (like a DLP projector). This was only really noticeable on the white dot they use as a pointer. I didn't notice it while looking at a rendered object, for example.
- smaller FOV, but not as tiny as I had heard. I'd say it's currently equivalent to a 50" display viewed at 8 feet

Upsides:
- light weight and comfortable
- no screen door effect. Things looked solid.
- no sweet spot. Everything was in focus wherever I looked within that FOV.
- no chromatic aberration
- high resolution
- refresh rate was fine
- great brightness

I think whatever kind of projection tech they're using is fundamentally a better approach than using lenses in front of a flat LED array. Even with the smaller FOV, I'd take it over what we're using in Vive and Rift. They just need to add the wireless display tech to have it driven by a PC.

There's also input to consider too. The hand tracking was good, but it wouldn't beat Lighthouse for gaming purposes. I guess I'd pretty much take the Hololens display, put it in a Vive and call it a day.

I had the same impressions as well minus the FOV - I think it was a big issue. We did some prototype stuff and while I was not directly involved in that, it was fairly simple to get good results. It has some potential for sure - hopefully it does get developed further in regards of fov and projection quality.

we don't work at the same company, do we? lol

Anyone at GDC tomorrow want to play Sprint Vector? We should have a slower day, so if you want to swing by our booth (#944 South) I can get you in. Just ask for Will and say you're from GAF.

It's an awesome game.

Scapegoat

There's only one downside to exercise and VR, and that's the headset. Sweat and the lack of air circulation don't make the most pleasant experience. Ideally some company would make an exercise focused headset with sweat resistance and built in ventilation. I'd be tempted to use such a thing in a biking setup. Interface the game/software with a trainer with automated resistance control and a variable speed fan, and you'd have pretty damn close to the real thing.
Just wanted to drop in and say to any other Viver's who love to exercise in VR but are worried/struggle to deal with the sweat: woman's panty liners are the answer!

I grabbed the tip from someone off Reddit who heard of it from a racecar driver. Before a session I just stick one to my forehead (sticky backing makes this so convenient) and away I go, no more worries about sweat at all. Prior to this I would constantly be pausing to wipe my forehead, or push through and have sweating dripping down my face (gross).

HoloPoint is also my go-to for VR exercise. I still feel pretty amateur however, as after months and months I have still yet to pass the level 25-29 block. I've gotten to the boss once (and was destroyed immediately) but I mostly struggle with level 28, especially after the levels leading up to it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I bought a Vive at launch. I loved it. I had rent dude. I sold my Vive at the beginning of June. I finally have a Vive again. I love it still.

In my time out, I've got two questions. One, what the the coolest/most interesting/or best highlights that have come out for the Vive in this time.

And two, Windlands is still the most exhilarating things I've played, and I want to continue pushing myself if anything else comes to that level. Are there any other good example games to push your bounds for "VR Legs" or anything of that ilk.

Audioshield continues to be so god damn cool.

cakefoo

I bought a Vive at launch. I loved it. I had rent dude. I sold my Vive at the beginning of June. I finally have a Vive again. I love it still.

In my time out, I've got two questions. One, what the the coolest/most interesting/or best highlights that have come out for the Vive in this time.

And two, Windlands is still the most exhilarating things I've played, and I want to continue pushing myself if anything else comes to that level. Are there any other good example games to push your bounds for "VR Legs" or anything of that ilk.

Audioshield continues to be so god damn cool.
There's a little game called "Grapply" that will make you feel like you're being whisked away. Also, Lucid Dreams, I've been meaning to get it, looks like a treat.

Raw Data
Arizona Sunshine
Serious Sam (The First Encounter has sliding locomotion, the other one is just teleporting)
Compound (free retro FPS experiment with sliding loco)
Knockout League
Sairento
Diner Duo
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes got motion controller support
Onward
Pavlov VR (I was waiting to see how the community would stick around and it's looking really healthy)

You can check out vrlfg.net to see a list of most active games and get an idea of what's trending since you were gone.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
There's a little game called "Grapply" that will make you feel like you're being whisked away. Also, Lucid Dreams, I've been meaning to get it, looks like a treat.

Do you mean Lucid Trips? Thats what came up in steam when I serached Lucid Dreams. Assuming you do, those both look really cool. I'm downloading the demo of the first and have the second on the wishlist for after I'm done with the ones I bought yesterday

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I cannot for the life of my get my Vive to work and I'm pulling my hair out.

I bought it used last week. It worked the first day, wednesday. Today, without changing the configuration at all, I launch it and get error 208, HDMI can't find the Vive display. I've tried everything I can think of. Restarted the PC. Unseated and reseated every single one of the connections, multiple times. Used SteamVR app to uninstall all drivers and reconnect through different USB. Remove other USB items. I've checked the HDMI port works on my GPU. I checked a replacement cable works by connecting GPU to monitor. I've tried GPU to link box with known working cable, and that didn't work.

The only configurations I can't really test right now are Vive directly to PC with known working cable (my cable is too thick to go directly into vive port) I have tested using the PC to link box cable and that didn't work, but I'm not certain that cable works. I tried connecting Vive HDMI to linkbox cable by connecting GPU straight to monitor with it and that didn't work either.

I've nailed it down to either the HDMI port on the vive, the HDMI cable connecting Vive to box, HDMI cable connecting box to GPU, or the HDMI ports on the link box itself.

Vive error 208, does anyone have experience with this and know any other resolution?

Alternatively, do you know how warranties work for Vives bought second hand? If I can I'm comfortable just sending it in for a repair or replacement assuming its still covered. Its far from ideal, but I just want it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom