• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR? (You wrote about uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, but not SteamVR itself)

Also, if at all possible it would make sense to test on a different PC (or even a laptop, it doesn't need performance) to get a much better idea of whether the issue is with the HMD or the PC HW/software setup.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I hadn't uninstalled and reinstalled Steam VR, but I just did so now and that unfortunately didn't do it. Another thing I had tried earlier that I forgot to mention is updating/reinstalling graphics drivers and that didn't do it either. I also reseated all of the cables that connect to the Vive as well (popped the front panel off and pushed firmly, then also later unplugged and replugged.)

I'm having my SO bring over her gaming laptop tomorrow (its got Windows 10, Steam, and an HDMI port on it.) and I do plan to test it out there too.

The error itself is fairly specific which helps nailing it down at least (it's basically saying it can't find the display, but the USB detects the Vive.)

The vive does have the red light on as well. It seems like power is reaching, USB is reaching (Windows recognizes when I plug in and unplug it), its just HDMI isn't. It's frustrating that it seems to not simply be a software error, but I can verify that tomorrow with the other PC.

It's probably not that and it may sound like a silly question but did you sinply rebooted the headset after the first start from inside the steam vr app? (maybe that's not even possible if it wasn't found in the first place?)

It's probably not it as the error throws me off... just asking because I "always" need to do that or else the HMD goes into standby a few seconds after starting Steam VR and doesn't come back on on it's own, after the reboot it stays on. Don't know why.

The few times the HMD wasn't found at all a power cycle of the breakout/link box always did the trick for me.

Nzyme32

SMI Eye Tracking In A Vive HMD, Hands-On

Embedded into the headset and apparently only $10 to implement

On foveated rendering:

In the final demo, I stood in a dark room and was greeted by a grid of floating cubes that extended infinitely in all directions. The cubes were translucent and rainbow-colored. Someone manning the demo toggled foveated rendering on and off. I tried to trick the system by focusing on what was happening in my peripheral vision, because of course foveated rendering doesn’t bother to fully render the images around your peripheral vision, so the edges would be the giveaway.
But I couldn’t sneak a peek, because, well, that’s exactly how eye tracking works. Conclusion: SMI’s foveated rendering within the Vive works as advertised, at least in this demo.

SMI has come a long way in a year. When we first met the company and its technology, it was at an event at Mobile World Congress. They had a small table in a big ballroom where other smaller outfits that didn’t have a booth presence in the main convention halls gathered to show their wares to media.

At GDC, SMI was in Valve’s exclusive showcase area showing off the tech in a specially-modified Vive. We don’t know when we’ll see a shipping headset with SMI’s eye trackers, but it will probably be towards the end of this year.

What are the chances of the LG headset having this eyetracking tech in the consumer version?
I guess nobody knows

It a technology that's approaching, but I think it's a safe bet that it will not have that. If you watch Michael Abrash's Oculus Connect Keynote Speech at around the 13:00 mark on, he basically says there are a lot of issues with it right now. It was 6 months ago, but Abrash sounds like he thinks it's the hardest issue to tackle beyond wireless, 4k per eye resolution, 140 degree wider field of view, all of the other stuff he's guessing will be around in 5 years. So I think it may very well be gen 3 of VR when it starts showing up (and I don't necessarily consider the LG headset to be considered even gen 2 with the information provided thus far).

Edit: Shit, I just read the link above, maybe it's closer than I thought. This shit moves too fast, lol. I still think it will be at least a couple years before it's properly implemented as the standard.

Nzyme32

What are the chances of the LG headset having this eyetracking tech in the consumer version?
I guess nobody knows

Pretty much no one knows, though they have said they want to attempt higher resolution than what they have and lighter weight, and the shape is obviously in large part down to it just being a dev focused prototype. Ideally it would be nice to see the eye tracking and increased resolution in there.

It a technology that's approaching, but I think it's a safe bet that it will not have that. If you watch Michael Abrash's Oculus Connect Keynote Speech at around the 13:00 mark on, he basically says there are a lot of issues with it right now. It was 6 months ago, but Abrash sounds like he thinks it's the hardest issue to tackle beyond wireless, 4k per eye resolution, 140 degree wider field of view, all of the other stuff he's guessing will be around in 5 years. So I think it may very well be gen 3 of VR when it starts showing up (and I don't necessarily consider the LG headset to be considered even gen 2 with the information provided thus far).

Edit: Shit, I just read the link above, maybe it's closer than I thought. This shit moves too fast, lol. I still think it will be at least a couple years before it's properly implemented as the standard.

Yeah, going by Abrash's predictions, we wouldn't be seeing reliable wireless for a couple more years, so it's definitely moving faster. I don't think LG's headset will have eye tracking, but I'd bet we get it in Vive 2.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's probably not that and it may sound like a silly question but did you sinply rebooted the headset after the first start from inside the steam vr app? (maybe that's not even possible if it wasn't found in the first place?)

It's probably not it as the error throws me off... just asking because I "always" need to do that or else the HMD goes into standby a few seconds after starting Steam VR and doesn't come back on on it's own, after the reboot it stays on. Don't know why.

The few times the HMD wasn't found at all a power cycle of the breakout/link box always did the trick for me.

HTC has a page on how to solve that specific error. Steam also has one. Hopefully following one of those will fix the issue.

I hadn't originally tried that USB one, but I've done it now and it didn't resolve it.

I did try everything in the second link.

I was able to test the HDMI cable connecting the PC to link box, and HDMI cable connecting Vive to link box. PC to link box works fine. Vive to link box cable did not work connecting the laptop to the monitor.

HDMI can be finnicky so it seems like that cable is the issue and will probably need top be replaced. Someone at my work has a Vive so I'm gonna ask him to test my headset and link box in his setup and hopefully it'll work. If so, I can say its completely isolated to that cable and just buy a $40 cable and hopefully be aces. We'll see what happens.

Edit: By the way, thanks for the help everyone. ITs really appreciated.

Post edit:

Another easy thing to do (maybe it was mentioned): are you launching steam as an admin?

My Vive setup stopped working out of the blue and after hours of trial and error (since steam vr couldn't find anything from my setup) I simply did that and it works.

Worth a try.

I was pretty sure I tried this but double checked to make sure and yeah, didn't work either.

Another easy thing to do (maybe it was mentioned): are you launching steam as an admin?

My Vive setup stopped working out of the blue and after hours of trial and error (since steam vr couldn't find anything from my setup) I simply did that and it works.

Worth a try.

It has had Onward style movement for a long time. I played it a few months ago and it was pretty good back then even. With the recent changes it's getting close to what you would expect from a native implementation.

Arulan

I have to wonder if Epic wanted to release Robo Recall on SteamVR, but because Oculus' contract doesn't allow them to, they just released the source code. I'm only speculating of course.

SomTervo

FYI guys, Organ Quarter is in its last three days on Kickstarter. Still got a wee way to go until Wednesday night. The thread about the Kickstarter is here.

There's a link to the free demo near the top of the Kickstarter campaign page.

Environments are coming along nicely already:

5y6gC7z.jpg

SimplexPL

I have a problem with basestations. One of them does not go to sleep when quitting SteamVR (previously it worked fine for months). In addition, one of the basestations (perhaps the same one that does not sleep) reports that there is a firmware update, but it's a lie - that update never succeeds and it disappears after restarting SteamVR or PC.

Is there any chance to fix it, or do I have to send it to HTC?

cakefoo

PAX East is this weekend. Rick and Morty VR will be playable, as will Obduction's motion control update which is scheduled to release on the 22nd.

SimplexPL

I have a problem with basestations. One of them does not go to sleep when quitting SteamVR (previously it worked fine for months). In addition, one of the basestations (perhaps the same one that does not sleep) reports that there is a firmware update, but it's a lie - that update never succeeds and it disappears after restarting SteamVR or PC.

Is there any chance to fix it, or do I have to send it to HTC?

I managed to fix it using this method:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5lhhm6/firmware_base_station_problem/ddlwxnd/

cakefoo

I have not tried this myself but I found this to be intersting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBdIVGOs0uo

http://vrscout.com/news/play-contra-vr-vive/

It's a bossfight from Contra in VR, makes me think about how it would be to relive classic 2d games like that in VR.
Imagine playing games like IK+, R-Type, Paperboy and Commando from a completely new perspective but with the same grapical style of old. I don't know if this is dumb or genius(?)
BRB, playing Special Delivery... since no imagination needed

:p

Tain

I have not tried this myself but I found this to be intersting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBdIVGOs0uo

http://vrscout.com/news/play-contra-vr-vive/

It's a bossfight from Contra in VR, makes me think about how it would be to relive classic 2d games like that in VR.
Imagine playing games like IK+, R-Type, Paperboy and Commando from a completely new perspective but with the same grapical style of old. I don't know if this is dumb or genius(?)

It's a cute idea for a little experiment (and I realize that's what this is), but when it comes to the long run it guts too many of Contra's mechanics to represent the series at all. If you're presenting this as "Contra VR" and aren't giving the aesthetics a massive do-over, I'd rather play a side-view action platformer with traditional controls in VR diorama form.

I've never been one to relate games based on loose thematic similarities, though.

The general enemy behavior in the vid would make for a good boss in Space Pirate Trainer, probably.

collige

Banned
This might be a question more appropriate for a general PC thread, but I figured I'd ask here. Is it possible to run two different GPUs in the same machine simultaneously. I would like to get a 1080ti once they drop for VR purposes, but it can't replace my current 970 as I dual boot and macOS doesn't have drivers for Pascal yet. Is running a dedicated GPU for VR viable?

Zalusithix

This might be a question more appropriate for a general PC thread, but I figured I'd ask here. Is it possible to run two different GPUs in the same machine simultaneously. I would like to get a 1080ti once they drop for VR purposes, but it can't replace my current 970 as I dual boot and macOS doesn't have drivers for Pascal yet. Is running a dedicated GPU for VR viable?

Yes, you can. You can even set the 970 as a dedicated PhysX device while using the 1080ti for rendering.

Zalusithix

For SLI it has to be the same card twice, though, doesn't it? And it has to be fixed framerate?

Yeah, for SLI you'd want the same card. DX12/Vulkan however should support mixed GPUs to a certain extent. Not that there's any VR games that support such configurations (that I'm aware of).

Not sure what you mean about the fixed framerate.

SomTervo

Yeah, for SLI you'd want the same card. DX12/Vulkan however should support mixed GPUs to a certain extent. Not that there's any VR games that support such configurations (that I'm aware of).

Not sure what you mean about the fixed framerate.

Cool.

Hmm, I can't remember who it was, but somebody I know said SLI'd only really works if you're not on an unlimited FPS in a game. Like on an unlimited FPS setting the cards won't work in sync or something, that you're best setting locked to 60 or w/e.

They could have been talking total rubbish.

dsk1210

Cool.

Hmm, I can't remember who it was, but somebody I know said SLI'd only really works if you're not on an unlimited FPS in a game. Like on an unlimited FPS setting the cards won't work in sync or something, that you're best setting locked to 60 or w/e.

They could have been talking total rubbish.

G-sync does not work with SLI but sli can run games at any framerate.

Although SLI does tend to have micro stutter which is why I avoid it nowadays.

Compsiox

Banned
Yep. Back when I had 970s SLI I realized the 980ti was basically as powerful as both combined and bought it. It's such a relief to not worry about support and microstuttering.

SomTervo

G-sync does not work with SLI but sli can run games at any framerate.

Although SLI does tend to have micro stutter which is why I avoid it nowadays.

Ah, does that go for V-sync too?

Good to know anyway, thanks folks.

I'd be curious about buying a second 1080 instead of a 1080ti/next gen if the money made sense.

moniker

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but Airmech Command (a previous Occulus exclusive) is now on Steam with Vive support, cross platform multiplayer, and motion controller implementation. Seems to have pretty positive buzz

http://store.steampowered.com/app/364630

The previously Oculus exclusive Dreadhalls released on Steam yesterday.

And a Superhot dev posted this on Reddit when asked about a Steam release:

tomdoingreddit said:
I think we'll make announcements soon!

That ISS experience using Revive is probably the most disorienting thing I've done in VR, but also pretty cool with the Climbey-like movement system for navigating around the station. That remote-controlled robo arm minigame can do die in a fire though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom